How would Western feudal kingdoms accept a somewhat institutionalized band of adventurers...

How would Western feudal kingdoms accept a somewhat institutionalized band of adventurers? Being busy with a war against other kingdoms but still having internal issues, like monstrous creatures or thieving?

given adventurers are likely to be rather wealthy, they would try to get as much money out of them as they can, be it through taxes or peddling of services

The same way Western feudal kingdom have accepted nations of Danish and Swedish mercenaries into their midst.

Retard.

>Retard.

I'm sorry, which euphemism did you want to be turned into an epithet?
I prefer "imbecile" myself.

I'm envisioning adventuring and dungeon-delving as the fantasy equivalent of something Mike Rowe would have covered on Dirty Jobs: you can make a ton of money doing it and there's training for it to make sure you can do it, but it's gross and dangerous and lacking in glamour so no one wants to go for it.

OP here, I never read about Scandinavian mercenaries so I didn't know. Thanks for the info and the compliment.

That was uncalled for and you know it. Not everyone is well versed in medieval European history. Use your knowledge to educate others and do it positively. If not, lurk more. This is neither /v/ or /tv/.

>feudal kingdoms accept a somewhat institutionalized

They wouldn't, they would not have people or groups inside of their fiefdom with loyalty to another. Hence Feudalism, loyalty goes straight up, not across then up. Their loyalty would go their feudal lord and from there they would be granted land/leave to do what they wished, that would be the closet without changing what Feudalism is. But as soon as they crossed the border/boundary of another land baron, you would have the same problem.

>Feudal Lord
>Has acres upon acres of land considered uninhabitable due to monsters, all the troops he sends to clear it out get eaten.
>Hires adventurers to kill the monsters and allows them to govern what they liberate for me.
>If they rule well, gain taxable land and competent vassals
>If they rule poorly, wait for them to move on, reclaim now monster-free land.
>If they die clearing it out, invite more adventurers.

If you do this, be sure to rule them justly and tax them fairly. Adventurers love to hold grudges.

this. Though I'm afraid for how long, seeing recent influx in shitposting (I sure hope it's only because of 40k releases/annoucements)

Depending on the power structure of the kingdom, it would range from completely unable to stop them and many minor lords would make extensive use of their services to trying to eliminate them wholesale.

Central authorities don't take kindly to powerful organizations they exert no authority over. Look at what happened to the Knights Templar. Mercenaries are a bit different than that though.

I suppose if Dragons and Orcs and Trolls exist though kings and theigns might be more amicable to people dedicated to killing them.

With hesitation and disdain, until you save the day of course. Remember you're just dirty sellswords and they're the kings men.

>Depending on the power structure of the kingdom

Means nothing, Feudalism is about remaining in your place and directing loyalty and goods upwards. If they are poor, they are giving their loyalty to the lord that owns their land, if they are not, they are lords that hold the land in trust for the King and have loyalty from the peasants that work it.

They could be similar to Knights in that they were granted smaller parcels of land in order to fight on behalf of their Lord but again that places them midway in the system, they have obligations above (Killing monsters) but also have their surfs who work the land and surrender their bounty to the party.

Uhhh yes it does and your perspective of feudalism seems to be very vanilla. Feudalism was a very diverse practice. Feudalism in Northern England of the 14th century was different than southern England that was different from a Central Germanic state ect ect......

Power didn't always flow upwards. You could have a lord that was of higher title than you whom you technically owed allegiance, but was massively indebted to you. You had cardinals whom held low titles but whose religious status technically gave them certain higher powers than other lords they served. Burghers and tradesmen had wealth oftentimes independent of the feudal system, or at least detached from the strict rigors of allegiance that bound a serf or peasant.

Feudalism was a very complicated social system and had alot more going on than peasant>knight>baron>king.

Many entities around Medieval Europe had wealth and position outside the traditional bounds of Feudal allegiance. It's fine if in a fantasy setting you want to ignore that because it's not the salad bar topping Medieval Europe you like, but it existed.

Mercenaries is/are the only answer if you're looking for a more realistic approach. Just look up the history of european wars or any specific medieval nation if you're trying to base a kingdom on a certain one.

German and Scandinavian mercenaries are very famous as are the Venetians.

Did he trigger you? Do you need a blanket and a retreat to your safe space, you fucking faggot?

not that user.
Vulgarity and rudeness are not what Veeky Forums is about, besides I'm fairly sure it was a joke, so chill, friend.

aww, wook at the widdle wiberal. Are you gonna cry because you're such a fucking idiot?

Regardless of whether or not you're trolling, you're an uncooperative moron

Well excuse me Captain Gayhug, I didn't realize it was my sworn duty to suck the dick of every useless idiot who doesn't know anything but wants us to be his personal history database

The Roman Empire had a special band of adventurers they used to guard the king, look up the Varangian Guard.

Not the guy you're shitting on but, exactly how do you think learning works? Even the greatest geniuses of mankind had teachers, you're teaching other people every day to be assholes, do you really think that's a good thing?

do I have to wipe his ass and feed him too? Or is he actually responsible for any part of his life? Pfft, that's probably racist or something to expect him to not use Veeky Forums as his own personal everything.

No you don't, and he is, but this Board is where you come to for advice on GMing or Playing a Tabletop, OP asked for advice on creating his setting and you're shitting on him and the people trying to help him, so why are you in here again?

It still follows the same basic principles of trapping people to the land and localized loyalty.

Who touched you as a lad? Everyone has to start somewhere, and being galvanizing towards someone who wants to acquire knowledge isn't a reasonable response for a civilized adult.

It only promotes ignorance. And seeing as how you hate ignorance enough to insult people over simply not knowing something, intentionally or not, you should endeavor to facilitate their ventures in learning, no?

Or are you just an unrepentant faggot trying to get a rise out of people by being inflammatory on the internet?

>Not everyone is well versed in medieval European history
Not everyone just skimmed the study guide, either. Read a book.

>Randall Munroe in charge of humility

As a burger, I only have one thing to say to that.

Fuck books.

As a burger, I only have one thing to say to you.

Kill yourself.

>lol look how rude and sarcastic I am, I'm so fucking cool

Fuck off spastic. You contribute nothing and no-one wants you here.

Good posts.

Bad posts.

this

Well, Feudal kingdoms probably aren't very absolutist, and often are a hodgepodge of privileges and rights and obligations that nobody really remembers the original reason for anymore.

You probably had, long ago, a city or an individual nobleman who needed to charter some mercenaries or adventurers to solve some problem or other, and petitioned the king for the right to do so. This petition was granted, and was given either to the institution (city) or the man's family as something they were empowered by the crown to do, along with obligations, probably in the form of tax (A cut of the adventurer's take is tithed to the crown) or that the King can demand certain services out of this adventurer guild.

This. Remember the hundred years war started because the king of England owned more of France than the French king, which technically made him a French vassal but the relationship was unworkable.