Turns out the Elder Things are real and have awoken their city-fortress in Antarctica...

Turns out the Elder Things are real and have awoken their city-fortress in Antarctica. Let's also say they are surprised to find modern humans, but are peacefully asking to be recognized by the international community and to have Antarctica recognized as theirs.

How do the nations of Earth respond?

>Turns out the Elder Things are real and have awoken their city-fortress in Antarctica

The Elder Things are dead though, even in the context of their story.

>Hey guys, let's have a fun what-if discussion!

>NO! What-if is non-canon.

Learn to have fun.

Forget the spoil sportLets start by saying they number around 1,3 million.

Ok.

Not like we're using Antarctica.

But what are we gonna do if we wanna study stars or penguins?

A bit more seriously why should they be recognized? What to they have to offer to the international community beyond existance?

Well, they're Elder Things, so I can't imagine mankind would be around to oppose their claim much longer.

It doesn't matter if you come in peace when your would-be friends go mad upon seeing you.

Technology beyond anything we can do.

>Call of Cthulhu memes strike again

I don't think anybody goes mad from seeing an Elder Thing in the lore.

Nah, they're not Cthulhu or Star Spawn so you don't go mad after looking upon them.
They're way more advanced than us considering they made the shoggoths and have a greater grasp of the fundamental metaphysics of reality.

Can we have sex with them? This is extremely important.

Then why do they want peace?

Why fight when you can get all that trade? Also not alot of Elder Things left. Also they are indirectly responsible for Humanities creation, so little bit of kinship?

>implying the elder things would even bat an 5 eyes at humanity.

We will have sex with them, or we will innundate them in nukes because they're different than us. Possible - probably - both.

There's not really a middle ground.

The question is, who gets to have sex with them?

how many can they have sex with at a time?

>Sapiosexual Female Scientist is part of the negotiations with the Elder Things.
>ends with her being modified into a pseudo Elder Thing out of desperation because knowing the unknowable is the ultimate extent of her kink.

>Be Elder Thing.
>Your people are seek to wait out the madness and desolation caused by the Wars with the Deep Ones and their master.
>Awake from cryo to find that some bald apes have come to rule the planet.
>So thats a thing...

>Why don't they want to start an entirely pointless war for no other reason than they have superior technology when they could probably get what they want by asking politely?

For educational purposes I have found this map that shows the various countries claims on Antarctica.
Do you think Russia would be an asshole about this?

That's not at all what happened though. Cthulhu is just another alien and the deep ones are indirect servants. Cthulhu has his own star spawn that made war with the Elder Things.

There isn't much down there humans can use. And I think Russia mostly does training there anyway. Not a big deal. Especially if they get some sweet Elder Thing Tech from it.

We have yet to figure out out to consistently get along with people who only have trivial skin color or religious differences. I don't have high hopes that we would get along peacefully with something as alien as Elder Things. Some nation would try to enslave them or steal their stuff, or independent parties would.

In cannon aren't the elder things relatively friendly to humans?

Inhumane and indifferent to the suffering of individuals, but not actively hostile, even a little interested in fates.

Any invader would get BTFO hard by the Elder Thing though. Why pick a fight that doesn't benefit anyone.

They're people. They do things people do. I imagine largely we could coexist, but Elder Things also seem to be staggeringly arrogant. They coexisted with the Yith and Deep Ones and don't even give them a foot note because they were never a threat.

They are in cryo and mostly unaware of humans. The did engineer our very distant ancestors as house cats/dogs.

In cannon aren't the humans relatively friendly to dogs?

Inhumane and indifferent to the suffering of individuals, but not actively hostile, even a little interested in fates.

This is just wrong. They engineered pytoplankton and basic single celled life, everything else is the result of uncontrolled evolution.

They're also probably all dead after moving underground. No cryo even implied.

It actually says that it's possible some deep-sea cities are still inhabited.

Do they have genders? How do you court their womenz?

They reproduced by spores from memory.

Can they still be sexed?

Nope. They reproduce through spores.
You can court one.
Is it gay if it's neither male nor female?

They can give blowjobs and stroke your dick with their tentacles. But no vagina/cloaca/similar organ.

I swear I used to be a normal human being...

No, just xenophila. Nongendered is still not homosexual.

Antarctica is rightful Australian clay, so fuck off, we're full.

You are still ruled by a foreign Queen cuck.

I crunched the numbers, it turns out it's at least twice as gay. maybe more.

Explain.

>Explain the joke

I thought you actually had numbers and data...

I'd wager that the US would be pissed as fuck not to be the strongest fish in the pond anymore.

I wasn't that dude, dude.
I just was letting you know
>He doesn't have data
Because it's a joke.

They're pentaradially symmetrical, so 5. Unless the genitalia are along the apex or bottom.

Or the U.S would not want Russia having access to elder tech..

>they are surprised to find modern humans, but are peacefully asking to be recognized by the international community and to have Antarctica recognized as theirs.

They can fuck off. Every elder city in the world belongs to America

We try to kill them with nuclear fire.

Guess how well that'll go.

Wait, I thought the Deep Ones worshipped Dagon?

The ones underground got fucked by Shoggoths and are definitely dead. The examples remaining above ground were revived just from being thawed, although some were chewed up enough that they were dead.

Like, five of those things just wake up when thawed and it's a pretty integral part of the story because the researchers follow them.

Ah perfect a lovecraft thread saves me from having to go to that shithole Veeky Forums
I just read the shadow over insmouth and although i liked it i was not really a fan of the ending.
Problem is i see no other way he could have gotten the information he wanted across then said retarded twist so i guess the writers hands were kind of tied.

He does get a lot of his information by enabling the town drunk's crippling alcoholism, which is kind of hilarious.

I could see most of those research stations being converted into embassies of sorts, just to keep things up. Really it's a matter of if there are a small enough number of the Elder things to not seem like a massive threat, and if they have some sweet tech they'll offer in exchange.

Say they offer every country the cure to cancer for their antarctic claims, barring the embassy/research stations, and there's not too many of them, maybe in the millions. That's a city of weird things that could be seen as indigenous people, or at the very least a rare species of animal.

Prolonged war doesn't seem like an overly likely outcome. At the very least, people will be hesitant since the things might have nukes, or worse. Most likely is trade and peace talks while nations gauge their capabilities, though I'd also imagine Elder things would keep themselves relatively isolationist. They would want to keep as much of a tech advantage as they could for as long as they could.

If the rest of the Mythos is real too, elder things are some of the best friends we could have. They may be radiates, vegetables, and star-spawn, but mentally they're close to us. They stood against fucking CTHULHU and fought him to a standstill, and they don't have any reality-bending power, just advanced technology.

In the Mythos, they're the embodiment of Badass Normal.

This sounds exactly right to me. They offer everyone the same thing that isn't used for warfare, it doesn't set off any political explosions about enemies getting super tech. Then they can just stay on their continent as isolationists.
Good job guy. I'd world build this.

Yeah. Offering everyone the same thing is key, and the only political squabbles would potentially be some countries trying to stay and then trade for the cure with allies. That may just result in the Elder things offering a blanket deal to everyone holding the land though, and say that they all have to agree to get it. Either way, I see the nations easily caving to that pressue. Go down as the leader who cured cancer by making first contact with another species in exchange for some useless ice? Easy decision.

From there, most trade is probably minimal. Maybe food, but probably mostly art, music, or entertainment, assuming any of it is enjoyable to one side or the other.

I think so much of their art and tech would be so alien to us that enjoying or using it would be a pain in the ass. They are so divergent in morphology from us that their ways of thinking and operating tech would be completely alien to us.
We'd have to reverse engineer any of it. And they'd always have problems with espionage. I imagine a few countries would try to smuggle some super tech out of the south pole.
God that'd be a great campaign.
A mission to smuggle elder tech out of Antarctica, humans are uncommon in the city. If you get caught you may start a humanity ending war.
I may make this campaign.

Motherfucker, did you even read In The Mountains of Madness?
It's not seeing the Elder Things that drive people insane, it's seeing the Shoggoth that killed the Elder Things.

Yeah. There's a lot of stuff that could be done with it. I'd imagine that even without really being able to enjoy their art, you would still get people trying to study it though. Lots of researchers would have a field day with even the cultural aspects of their society, let alone tech.

Espionage would be similarly difficult, as I'd imagine each nation would be keeping close eyes to make sure nobody else got ahead in the race, while also having to deal with any super-tech security.

Counter-intelligence and stopping theft by other countries might be just as interesting as conducting it yourself. Not to mention any more independent thieves that figure they can just sneak in and pocket a tiny gizmo to sell for millions.

Is there oil around Antarctica? This is very important

And whatever Dyer saw beyond that mountain. It's implied to be the true form of a bunch of eldritch abominations, including fucking YOG-SOTHOTH

The straw that broke the camel's back. Dyer and Danforth were already close to their breaking points after reading the Elder Things' history in those murals.

I always personally enjoyed the idea that he saw some sort of weird cold-mirage reflection of Kadath through the Cold Wastes where they bordered, and seeing the implied immensity of the ultimate city just spooked him to the limit.

It's weird how much of a hopeful note they are. They're what mankind can aspire to become to survive the coming dark. They rose to the level of Mi-Go and other supernations and remained merciful and sane by a human standard.

Hol up
if they're in Antarctica, where did they get those sticks?

human research station.

The giant blind albino penguins run the local racket. You got fish, buddy, they got what you want.

Might be bone or metal. Maybe they have a greenhouse somewhere

>the penguins are behind everything
I knew it!

The penguins are, in reality, the real reason why the majority of cosmic horrors have left Earth alone. They fear what wrath the penguins have in store for them.

Mankind exists solely because the penguins allow us to.

I, for one, welcome our penguin overlords.

>Australia
>Ruled by the Queen
>Not by their Emu Overlords
Get your shit together, user.

>going to Antarctica
>not bringing sticks so you can roast marshmallows

>He thinks that mere animals could best the true rulers of the continent

Nice try Australians, try winning in EW2.

>Australians
>Having any chance of winning Emu War 2
After they performance in the first one, they should be grateful that their Emu masters didn't genocide their whole race.

AAR of our Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign

>tl,dr: Everyone who understood the construct died inside or was left behind. Instead of orchestrating a coverup, we announced our discovery to the world, started WW2 in 1934 over access to the city of the Elder Things, and ended the world by nuking Berlin with a bomb built using plundered elder thing physics knowledge

>mentally they're close to us
No.
Just no.
It's not about "boohoo no fun alloed" it's about mythos entities. I say entities because they aren't even "beings" since they "are" not like e "are". They exist differently than us.They can't relate, they can't comprehend and even if they could, we wouldn't have any idea. They exist in multiple times and dimensions, they use a """""""technology""""""" called magic that rapes everything our reality and society is built upon. So yeah, they write and talk and build "cities", except these probably "exist" also in the dreamworld, their language does not use air vibration to communicate. Try to explain that to a human. We nuke them, it fails, and then they brain rape us for good

>They exist in multiple times and dimensions
Confirmed for knowing Shit about Elder Things.

Not dead, just hibernating or some shit.

From what I understood, just a few were hibernating and the rest got fuckmurdered in the shoggoth uprising.

>implying a human can know about mythos
go fuck a Cow

I would but your mom is busy.

IIRC, there were still thousands of them in the city, and that's just what the narrator saw.

Yeah, but weren't those dead?

The ones brought up for dissection APPEARED to be dead as well.

Wasn't there a shoggoth running around the town?

I don't remember anything like that, although admittedly it's been a while since I read it.

Everything you just posted is fanon. None of it is supported by the evidence in the story.

Concerning Elder Things, it actually says in the story "they were men, whatever else, they were men"

So HP Lovecrafft would disagree with you.

Not that they wouldn't be selfish pricks with no qualms about backstabbing humans if it helped them to survive another war with the Polyps or the Shoggoth Rebellion though.

>"The Elder Things are dead though, even in the context of their story."
>story is literally about Elder Things coming back to life and killing / dissecting a human expedition

One thing I never understood about at the mountains of madness is why haven't the shoggoths taken over the world by now?

Considering humans evolved from leftover shoggoth drippings, they already have

They just wke up?
We nuke them and ensalve them.

They are more developed then us, they have better tech then us, they are more intelligent then us.

The only thing they do no thave now is time. If we give them time they will become a treat we cannot win against. And will get enslaved. Our only path forward is to attack first and hope it enough.

>We try to nuke them and they wipe us out
FTFY

They don't see a need?

They don't particularly hate us (well, unless we piss them off), they probably don't even think of us as different than the penguins which they eat.

They're happy to roll around, defacing their creator's cities, and forming mass conglomerations to think about higher dimensions.

Meanwhile, the narrator and his buddy are able to piece together their history just by looking at the murals on the walls of their abandoned city.

But please, continue telling us how they're all so far beyond our understanding, oh gosh you guys for reals tho

you would be right with many Lovercaftian races but the Elder Things are actually pretty cool guys.

In one RPG, as a nice touch, Elder Thing knowledge was partially psychic. As in, you look at a bit of Elder Thing tech and writing (in person) for long enough, and you get a general idea of how it works, or what it says.

This psychothaumic resonance is like the Elder Things including a manual, it's just that we're stuck using the French side, because we don't have 5-lobed brains, so while we get a general idea... it's not complete, and other people will have a different idea which is just as accurate.

So let's say you have five scientists, all looking at the history murals, they'll get the same general sequence of events, but disagree with specifics, or the meaning of particular glyphs.