I am hosting a Chanukah party this week and have promised my guests fried food, fire, and gambling

I am hosting a Chanukah party this week and have promised my guests fried food, fire, and gambling.

Does anyone have rules for a game that uses dreidels?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mnzVq2t7bi4
diegeticgames.com/maccabees-and-menorahs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Promising a bunch of Jews fire
Let me know how that works out

Every time it lands on hey you eat bacon

Good idea. Bacon is often fried.

Ask OSR general if they have any d4-centric rules-lite systems in the Trove? Bet they do.

You could use them as d4's; and unlike a regular d4 they won't completely murder your foot if accidentally stepped on.

youtube.com/watch?v=mnzVq2t7bi4

I'm looking for something more competitive, with no roleplaying.

Dude, fire is involved in basically every Jewish holiday. We light candles for fucking everything. Not everything is a holocaust reference.

Basic gambling with dreidels is actually pretty lame: Everyone antes. If you get Shin you add to the pot, Nun nothing happens, Hey you take half the pot, and if you get Gimmel you take everything and everyone antes again. You keep going like that until people stop playing. The amount you put in for shin needs to be larger than the ante or the game is horribly unbalanced.

It's a pretty lame way to gamble, but I guess that's why Poker caught on and it didn't.

Also, make sure you get good dreidels. Most wooden ones are balanced poorly and are essentially like playing with loaded dice. The brand in that picture you posted is actually one of the worst offenders for that, imo.

I've heard those rules before and was hoping for something more balanced.

There's not that much else you can do with choosing 1-4 randomly over and over again...

Maybe make some weird truth or dare + two truths and and lie combo depending on what people spin? That would probably be more fun honestly... Especially with alcohol.

What the age range of this party?

21 to 30

Alright, give me a minute and I'll try to think of something.

I've learned so much about Jews from Veeky Forums

The story of Chanukah would make a good campaign. Any army of greeks marched into Jerusalem and declared that worship of God was outlawed and that they must honor the Greek pantheon. They took over the temple and cast the jews out. Elsewhere, a mighty jew named Judah Macabee saw a jew worshipping Zeus, and had him executed for idolatry. Then Judah Macabee raised an army of jews and stormed the temple, defeating the greek soldiers and destroying the idols. Then, every jewish temple has an Eternal Light, a light that must never go out. It was put out by the greeks and Judah ordered it lit again. They only had enough lamp oil to last one day, but they lit it anyways. The Eternal Light burned and burned and did not go out for eight days, when the Jews managed to make more oil. And it was a miracle. And that's how Channukah was born.

Also the Hebrew Torah is the entire holy text of the religion written on a single scroll. These are also hand-written, by rabbis, and a rabbi might spend his whole life making one. They are then blessed before sent to synagogues. They are kept in the Ark, a holy container, and you must always stand when it is open because the inside of the Ark is considered extremely close to god.

>and a rabbi might spend his whole life making one

Maybe in the middle ages...

They tend to crank those things out nowadays.

Also the Greeks only outlawed the Hebrew faith after Alexander the Great died and whoever it was took over that part of his empire. Alex was actually a total bro to the Jews. Very chill spiritually.

>Judah Macabee
We're talking around 164BCE not 323BCE. It's a bit late for Alexander to do anything.

And I don't remember anything about Judah Macabee killing some guy over idolatry, might have missed that though... I've been out of Hebrew school for a long time, and Hanukah isn't really that important of a holiday anyway.

And the Torah actually isn't entire holy text of the Jewish faith, it's just the first five books of Moses (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy in the Christian bible). The story of Hanukah isn't even in there since it comes much later.

There's a lot of Jewish texts. The Torah is the most important though.

Yeah I know, I'm just saying the Greeks were there for a while before they banned the Jewish faith. They didn't just roll up and immediately start being assholes.

Just bet on the outcome. Maybe hire a bookie.

I came to Veeky Forums for elves and goblins and shit, and instead I learned about Judaism.

Hasidic philosophy adds a nice TES/ALMSIVI flavor to things.

>It's a pretty lame way to gamble, but I guess that's why Poker caught on and it didn't.

Teetotum/Spins/Put-n-take/Dreidel etc, has a very long history, and only really faded from popular culture in WWI due to the cost of production/material consumption, like a lot of things (Cloaks, multi-layer women's dresses, etc).

The only reason gaming tops faded out, is because dice are cheaper, easier, require less packing space etc.

Try looking up 4, 8 and 12 sided teetotum games.

diegeticgames.com/maccabees-and-menorahs/
>Maccabees and Menorahs
>A Dreidel Powered Storytelling Game

I vaguely remember hearing about a PbtA game set in the Jewish part of a medieval city which used dreidels a while back, anyone know what I'm talking about?

>The only reason gaming tops faded out, is because dice are cheaper, easier, require less packing space etc.
I also imagine it's because tops like the ones on the top row in your picture are a lot more argument prone than dice.

Although looking at that picture I kinda want to make my players use d6 tops because they're always such faggots about rolling dice.

teetotums will be perfect as dice for irregular numbers like 7 or 16

So a D4 system? probably best to just go with super stripped down, like Call of Cthulhu but ignore the skills and stats and just run with a sanity and health meters, crit success (yes and) on shin, crit fail (no and) on nun, partial success (yes but) on Hey, partial failure (no but) on gimel

>argument prone
If your players are arguing with you about what result your RNG is displaying, then that's a problem with them, not the RNG.

Also, it looks plenty clear which side is "up" once it's landed.

It's called
"Get in the oven with your dreidels"
Step one is to turn the oven on and preheat to 300.
Step two is get in the oven.

Then you win.

welp. going to try running this for my family tonight.

See my comment hereWooden dreidels like the ones in OP's picture tend to have the stick put in with wood glue and really unbalanced. Whichever side the stick in the top is leaning towards will be the side it lands on like 70% of time.

They basically come pre-loaded. Which is pretty argument provoking.

just make sure to hide your valuables first lmao!

>They didn't just roll up and immediately start being assholes.
Didn't Alexander roll up and immediately begin being a bonafide bro?

Yeah, that's what I said.

Which is why Alexander is a common name for Jews. He's a conqueror who DIDN'T try to destroy us.

I always found the Chasidim weird. They were originally an outlaw offshoot bad boy Judaism because they embraced dancing and singing which the orthodox did not, but now they look down on other Jews as not being Jewish enough. You can start out the radical view and become the entrenched.

Now I'm just imagining the Fate/Zero interpretation of Alexander chilling with some folk in old Jerusalem having been invited to a Seder, and enjoying drinking wine as the old story is told.

Well there was still a temple in those days, so he'd probably be chilling with the high priests, but that might not be too far off.

I mean I guess you could use a dreidel as a shitty d4

are there 10 or 20 sided dreidels?

no. just 4 sided.

I can't help but think that'd be a nice niche item