/wip/ - Work in Progress General

Merry orkmas edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg (embed)

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
[YouTube] Dawn of War III – Announcement Trailer (embed)

>Previous Threads:

Working on some boarbikers conversion. Still needs basing and some clean up.
thoughts?

looks like fantasy orcs with guns glued onto them

Are they well painted fantasy orcs with guns on them or did I fuck up?
I dont want to spend $200 on a squad of bikers considering as well Im playing snakebites.

could make it look like the guns are attached somehow, not just floating on the side of the pig, 40k up the riders somemore, drill your barrels... job's alright but you could have done a little more in the modelling dept. Agreed the price on GW bike boyz is absurd. Can you post a pic showing the gun side?

Made a disc and an exalted flamer for a Burning Chariot.

Magnetised

Sure, here. Yeah some are floating some arent but there aint much room to make it fit.

very cool!

Does anyone know a place that hawks recasts for Super Dungeon Explore?

I know that sounds lame but I really want the Twilight Knight mini for my Kingdom Death collection.

What's the cheapest way to make decent looking csm autocannons (based on HBolters, I'm guessing)?

if you dont mind the ends not looking all that chaos-ish, using the barrels from the aegis line quad auto cannon on HB's works great for me

What are you working on, /wip/?

Magnetized my wrathmonger/skullreaper kit, built my juggernaut riders and just started painting my war mammoth, will post pictures tomorow after the sun rose again.

Something has arrived.

A THOUSAND EYES WATCH

Looks great and a great way to make those flat areas look more busy and chaotic

HO HO HOLY EMPEROR

Thank you so much user, this miniatures looks awesome and...wait

Carlos, mate, delete that first picture.

What are we gonna do, order pizzas to Spain? Send him Tyranid terrain?

What is this?

No, I just genuinely don't think it's wise to have your name or address associated with this place.

Islas Canarias, that's still Spain but fucking far away. Even in Veeky Forums no one is going to waste that much money in a prank.

Still he should delete it.

dont have a phone near me to take a photo, but working assembling my entire Emperor's Children army and putting them on marble bases. kill me my hands are hurting so bad. also converting some autocannons before i go to bed

Maghariba Guard, time take so far is about 4 hours including priming.

Haven't worked with such a large lump of pewter since assembling a Furioso Dreadnought in the 90s

Thank you so much user. This is a lot more of what i had expected. Not only the content itself but the thought you have put in it, really maked my shitty day better. Im going to try my best on this challenge, its going to be my first time with milliput so im looking forward to it. Thank you again and have a happy 2017.

Slowly making progress on this big guy. I fucking suck at drybrushing though and really need to fix up that wing... would a blue wash help neaten it up?

Eurgh, shitty iPhone.

What purpose does the belly button serve?

>The navel (clinically known as the umbilicus, colloquially known as the belly button, or tummy button) is a scar on the abdomen at the attachment site of the umbilical cord.

I did the whole drybrushing like Saint Duncan told me to, but then went back to clean it up with layers, blending and highlights on every feather anyway.

Pic is from a few days ago.

While a blue wash could help tie the wing together a bit, it may also end up divorcing the wing from the main body visually.

Then again, something to put a bit more dpeth to the reddish part of the wing would probably be a good idea.

So maybe a well diluted wash applied quite sparingly to a slightly damped surface, or go full oil/enamel wash so you can purge any excess well and proper.

It was no doubt how the food / energy / warp juice was passed to the gestating primarchs through umbilical cords while in their archeotech incubators

Just because they're born in a tube doesn't mean that a nutrient tube couldn't have gone there or something.

That looks really fucking good user. I already envisioned having to go over rather feather but wondered if a wash would help first... I'll probably just skip the wash and go heavier on the highlighting.

Bullshit. They obviously had the black carapace (see the model), that was way more efficient.

KY user reporting in, seems something arrived for me today, book for scale... and to cover the shipping label.

What?

I have no idea what you're referring to.

fantastic book, fuckhuge package

He is referring to the interface for power armour. Although I kinda doubt they already had that when they were being grown in their test tubes.

My, what could this be?

Haven't gotten to read it yet, looking forward to it.

That looks better than even Duncan's

...The carapace is an interface system?

When did they get those then? Don't tell me they were implanted.

Such a lovely note. It's quite ok that your package was late. I appreciate everything... speaking of which:

Please don't put the stupid Horn nipple armor on him, or if you do, remove those. They ruin how great the model looks.

Are you suggesting, when the infant primarchs were scattered across the galaxy... when the babes climbed out of their pods... they had the black carapace?

No. It was implanted when they were found by the Emperor.

They were implanted. Since normal space marines (who are born normal humans) have the black carapace fitted as part of the upgrade process.

Custom flock, not sure how it looks to you guys, but here it looks pretty nice. I'm new to all the mini fun times, so I will have to figure out how to incorporate this. I do have some purple skitarii that need basing..

That's not a belly-button. That's the location of the Space Marine's 3rd anus

And here we on of the many custom smoke markers. It is certainly quite appriciated. I won't be spamming with a pic of the book, but it's Horus Rising by Dan Abnett. I haven't actually read any of the 40k novels before, so I can't wait.

Thanks user, and merry Christmas

No, Magnus is a weeb for Pokemon. he just wanted to shoot fire like Incineroar

general question: I seen a pic with someone making a light-up smoke marker, how do I do this?

Apply cotton, paint in the darker smoke towards the top of it.

I am not the one who made these, nor have I done it before. I do hope my SS user can help you though.

So glad you like it user! I can answer any questions you have about the flock/smoke markers.

You can use an electric tea light candle as the best instead of the heavy duty washers I use in the picture. That will give it a warm glow.

WIP test pieces to then do tutorials on.

Pozzed soldier is giving me a slight problem. I wanted to make this as beginner friendly as possible and having the mid tone be a 50/50 mix of two paints is kind of shitty but it's the only balance I can find that I like. The flesh is also a bitch. 3 layers of tanned flesh and it's still not covering entirely but is the perfect shade of pink for the concept art.

Wasn't taking serious photos here just messing with the positioning in my photo booth to reduce glare. Still really like the model even if it will suck to paint.

I'm working on preping my Dystopian Wars Christmas haul, starting off with the small fighters first and working my way up. First time I've had to wear a mask while working on models.

Waiting for the weather to get good again so I can prime some minis. I've got about 20 all cleaned up and ready for priming, painting, and final assembly of the subassemblies.

It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to consider using paint-on primer on some shoulder pads and testing out manually painting yellow instead of being sane and waiting for spray painting weather.

That's awfully close to heresy, mate, but thanks for the compliment.

Man, I've been agonizing about that forever now. I actually may wait with glueing it on until someone either figures out a good solution or, better yet, sells one on shapeways or the like.

I resized this shit, and I'm reuploading.

>wasting a quad gun that could make a mortis dreadnought or just be used vanilla for an adl.

Find an ig player and nick the autocannons from his sentinels for the barrels or buy them cheap from a bits site.

Is this a metal sculpt? It's neat.

Metal, but the original owner chopped of the Power Maul to add a combiflamer. I restored it with a Power Axe.

Bare chest, armored pants Magnus masterrace. All other combos are pleb shit

>fully armored
>muh sleeveless armor
>fully nude
>muh pleb native loincloth

Raptors?

This.

HELL YEAH. need to buy the transfers still. The whole army is 1st and 10th Companies.

How would I use Magnus as a player who only has a single small space marine army? I want a big model like all the Tau, Eldar, Knight, etc players have.

I love this little guy

>shirt with no pants combo

Be back in a few with my count-as Lias Issodon.

Looks well even painted bur for the love of God mate, put a white background so the phone can focus.

Don't forget to select a bigger exposure (the phone automatically darkens the picture otherwise), and/or adjust colours and lighting. Adjusting colours should litteraly be one button to push.

>no shirt
>assless chaps

Do you even chaos bro?

Anyone use air compressors? Are they worth using for priming and painting several (close to a dozen) vehicles? Trying to find one around $350 I can use in apartments

Alright.
Some quick dressup with 'blue'-tack. Most of the armour and all of the cloth aren't done yet.

Haven't owned a phone in 5 years, I'm using a DSLR set to Macro with a narrow depth of field for these pics.

Count-as Lias Issodon.

Man.

These scouts are from before I got a handle on how to paint faces and fleshtone.

Nobody saw that.

Anyway, armour and cloth aren't finished yet. But if I can figure out a way of making the beltbuckle not hover in midair it could work.

And some scouts from Lost Patrol with better painted faces, though I'm still progressing a little.

>that base

Huehuehue
Street Wolves

Closeup on the Scout Sgt, whose facial scars were inspired by Colonel HFY from Avatar.

spend 10 more minutes and use some editing software to put them all in one picture ffs, instead of clogging up the thread.
or do more picture where you have more guys in a picture like this.

I can understand being proud of your minis but this is getting stupid

last pic

>clogging up the thread.
just scroll harder, nigga

I lol'd. I'd take a dozen 200 KB photos over idiots posting single 10 MB jpgs.

I might get a batrep with my Raptors onto my Youtube channel soon. Keep you guys posted.

>batrep

And this is /wip/ related how? Keep it in /40kg/.

because we could see the guys painted models in action?

That's very true.

But I do agree with the user, a collage would make things more harmonious for everyone, and you as well.

Hey /wip/ i have a litle question. I wanna get into mini painting but i don't know whether to buy the army painter hobby starter set or the AP hobby tool kit and buy stuff like paints and brusher separately? And if anyone could tell me if there is any kind of primer in the starter set? Pic related

AP brushes suck. I bought some and there's barely any bristles because the only way they can make sharp tips is by removing bristles, and they shed a lot. I recommend just buying your tools and paints separately. Either get some durable cheap synthetic brushes or dive right into a $13 kolinsky sable. It'll last you many years if you don't dunk the whole length in the pot and mash the hairs on concrete and the sharp tip and full reservoir help even novice painters paint more easily.

Thanks again man. Where did you get the jar for that flock? Super awesome little thing.