Lets have a "This Dude" thread. Instead of That Guy being an asshole who ruins the game...

lets have a "This Dude" thread. Instead of That Guy being an asshole who ruins the game, This Dude is not only the perfect fit but goes above and beyond too make it awesome

Other urls found in this thread:

heroforge.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>this dude was a 12 year old kid who everyone was concerned about joining
>was dropped off and came to the table with a couple bottles of sparkling cider and a ton of food
>at first he was kinda shit, but became a quick learner and every week brought sparkling cider
>probably one of the chillest kids and players in general I have played with.

People usually forget about the good stuff. The bad stuff just stays with em..

yeah exactly, so but there are some times those players who are so awesome you just wont forget.

I bet you guys were ex-cider-ed to have him!

yes, yes we were

I don't have a story of my own but I think we need more threads like these to keep up the positivity.
Nice job !

My group has both a That Guy and a This Dude. Our That Guy is a perpetual loudmouth who never pays attention and can't remember his spells, so our GM made a dumbed-down version of his spell list that lists one effect for each school of magic. Our This Dude is an excellent roleplayer who really fleshes out his character and draws exceptionally well. I can't think of one game with our This Dude in it that I didn't enjoy, except for the ones where we had 8 players in our group. That was a real shitshow.

One player I really liked in a Shadowrun game was an overall good guy. A bit of a weird character idea - a strange sculptor turned shaman - but they did a good job in the party, and were just fun to play alongside. Real quick on their feet, and fun to hang out with after sessions.

Wish he hadn't decided to take a year or two off of college, but man he just made the game I was in great.

any player who draws is practically instantly This Dude, as long as hes not an asshole

>Have a battleboard to keep track of npc's and ranges and shit
>using dice or lego minifigs or bits of popcorn to represent characters
>one day the quiet guy brings in a polystyrene box
>using his bitzbox and greenstuff he had made us all custom figurines for our characters

Top stuff.

This just made me realize how cool it would be to have a 3D printer for making miniatures, shit would be so cash.

>Game time starts, does EVERYTHING in character
>Actually improvising with his guitar when doing bard stuff, but without being cringy or turning it into a show-off
>If game is held in his place, always shares a dinner with entire group
>Always doing recaps of the last game(s) for the whole party, in-character, as if weaving a ballad
We all love you, Timm

My GM, for the past 2 years, had to take out notebook paper and meticulously draw his own grids for our characters to be represented in. For christmas this year, I decided to drop 50 bucks on a huge, 4 foot long double-sided vinyl mat and a set of felt-tip wet erase markers. He was so overjoyed that he made me a custom dice bag with a praying mantis on it since I played a Thri-kreen.

heroforge.com/

Sort of related. Build ye fig, they print it for you for an extortionate fee.

>I don't have a story of my own but I think we need more threads like these to keep up the positivity.
>Nice job !

>tfw the thread plummets to page 10

A great story of a This Dude on Roll20
>In a campaign with four people plus DM
>2 are completely new
>I'm moderately experienced
>This Dude knows the system better than the DM
>At first I was worried he was going to be a rules lawyer
>Turns out he's just a great guy who helped us all learn the system with encouragement and helpful suggestions
>Great roleplayer too
>Oh, and rallied the group to talk to our GM about the power creep that was kinda bugging us.
>GM is also a super nice guy by the way
>Sometimes he just goes a little overboard giving all the PCs free powerups
>Oh, and the groups artist
>She's adorable and a great roleplayer
>Learned the system really quick
>Her character is the leader of our party
>Last guy
>Yin to my Yang or vice versa
>The comradery is strong
>Both in character and out.
M, you're great
K, keep pumping out those awesome sessions
A, love the drawings, Honey's character arc is great
N, can't wait until the next time we team up

If any of you are seeing this, thank you for being a great group.

Oops, that was just supposed to be about the first guy. Got a little carried away.

>bring in an old friend who's never played D&D before
>campaign has been going for 5 months
>rolls a Dwarven bard
>plays the guy like a New York cabbie from Queens
>role-plays better than anyone in the group
>can do any accent perfectly and sings contextual, hilarious songs for every inspiration
>increases every session's enjoyment factor by an order of magnitude

We went from one session a week to two solely because of the added fun factor This Dude brings.

The best players tend to be ex-gms. Once you know a GMs pain, you become a well-tempered PC.

This is so sweet, your group sounds amazing.

They are. We're about 8 sessions into this campaign (Which is actually kinda far, we run them for about 8 hours) and it's been great.

Black weebs as a whole.

>Join game
>First time player
>Paladin-ish guy takes me under his wing
>Great at roleplaying
>Plays an actually flawed character that is desperately trying to be a good guy
>Helps out me and another new player constantly with prompts for rp
>Always looking for ways to improve the game
>Talks about wanting to be the best out of game but makes sure everyone is getting stuff in game
>Makes every game better

Seriously A, thank you for inviting me to play.
I was having a bit of a rough time, and looking forward to these games has kept me up.

true, but the transition can be hard

THREAD DO NOT DIE

My entire group is This Guy, so none of them particularly stand out. Nothing feels better than having nothing to contribute to a That Guy thread.

I tried to create a deep lore for a certain part of the campaing. To explain the lore i wrote diaries of npcs , wrote and rewrote places descriptions to be the best. Almost remade the entire lore because until i found a way to better ir
>That Dude
> Pays attention to every minor detail from npc notes, chats, places, songs, legend and other no so conventional ways to tell the lore
> Read a 7 page mage diary 3 times to avoid losing any detail
Feelsgood knowing someone actualy listen to you and apreciate your efforts

damn if I were the GM I could never bring myself to kill any of you off

>GM does open world campaigns that don't suck.
Does this count?

Do Seed of Humanity or Land of Omen ring a bell?

>The guy who always have a ready set table good to go when we play 40k.
>The same guy who is always finished with his army list, all set up on the side, ready to go, not a moment to loose!

God I wish most my friends where this dedicated to the hobby... but alas, I only have one guy who is obsessed with this perfection! Love playing him.

On the flipside you have "that guy"

>Shows up 30 min late for every play session
>Never has his full army with him, so forced to proxy.
>Never paints
>brings his shit over, not finished with an army build....

These guys are unfortunately to common in my area, takes a full day to play a regular game of 40k, only to spend 6h waiting for the other guy...

Fuck man, he sounds like an awesome dude! Only thing missing is bringing an ukulele!

>twelvie doesn't ruin the game but makes it better

WTF is this ? bizarro world ?

I'm just happy when people show up.

>ITT: Things that never happened

Black weebs are the best people on the planet.

I'm very blessed to have an excellent gaming group. We mostly play lighter games, with a soft spot for Chaos in the Old World and a Silver Tower campaign and Kill Team narrative ongoing.

> One guy is always the host and prepares lunch for us every meet up
> The guy who can't make it often rolls with everything and always picks up on/asks what he missed out
> The quiet guy either carries us out of tight spots or drives ups the stakes in slow games
> The slightly absent minded guy always sets a jovial mood for everyone
> The host's girlfriend is extremely polite and learns everything incredibly fast
> I paint the minis and provide Kill teams for everyone when we play the odd game of 40k.

When the goal is purely to have fun, the dynamic is incredibly different.

We are sorry your group is shit, user.

Take a break from them, find new one and cheer up

Not him, but my life-long friend has a bunch of siblings. His brother is 7 years younger, so there was a moment when he was 13, we were 20 and he was playing with us and was doing pretty well. Maybe not stellar when it comes to rules (we were using a complex brew out of GURPS), but still roleplayed his part.

> My group plays on saturdays.
> I've been out drinking the night before.
> My ride wakes me up.
> I put on clothes and stumble into his car
> Fall asleep.
> "Yo user, we're here. Get your gameface on."
> I wake up.
> He hands me a Happy Meal with cheeseburger.

I payed him back of course, but that Happy Meal was a goddamn lifesaver.

>New York cabbie from queens
So an Indian person?

I'm going to vaguely describe everyone I ever played with and how fun they were to play with

>Perpetually sick bro
DM's for me about 1/10th of the time, super good the have break now and then.
Likes to roleplay and is pretty good at it
Talks lore and fluff with me when we aren't gaming
Good at improv

>Slavbro
Just a little bit too edgy
Nice guy
Always on time
Never bring his problems into the game
fun to be around/ game with
tendency to be as edgy as the GM will let him be

>Goliath the large
Threw tantrums when he died
Good when we're mucking around, a bit of a cunt when we were being serious
Always late
Missed session without notice or reason
Didn't even have an excuse, just forgot or slept through it

>(unfortunately) my brother
Good team player
Unreliable
Often late
Has suddenly stopped playing for 6 months without notice or reason and then tried to rejoin
always talking about drugs

>Greek bull
Brings food/goes for lunch with me before a session
Not too smart, always impressed by any amount of GM planning and effort
Doesn't like scary games
Always about 15 min late
always dotes on his girlfriend, even in game when she plays

>HYUKHYUKHYUK
GM when I was trying out a new gaming club
most annoying laugh in the world, literally didn't think people could actually laugh like "HYUKHYULHYUK"
Not good at DM-ing, just likes to me the centre of attention.
Doesn't know how to improv at all
Looks like a fat computer coder with hunchback
Dating a tranny
likes to think he's really cunning, but is bad at both reading peoples intentions and not being read

>AsianbutnotAsian Autismobutnotautismo
vulture, always eats everyone's food,
will always accept anything given to him even if he has no use for it (hoarder)
Can't communicate like a human, needs meme's and swearwords to punctuate his sentences
decent player, always seems to play himself but more >insert thing here<

I will continue in another post

My GM is This Guy.

>spend a literal year in and out of shitty gamefinder groups as a player and GM
>one night on a drunken whim I apply for a spot in an ongoing game
>GM doesn't go all /r9k/ on my wanting to play a female character
>his sessions are very well prepped, has enormous encounter tables and such
>Very well developed open world with lots of hooks
>every quest has lots of intricacy and detail that we often barely scratch the surface of
>is very well mannered and patient through interruptions, people not knowing spells, drunken shenanigans, etc

Here's to hoping the Wild West campaign is as good as the last one!

>Creepy and pathetic
On disability for mental illness or obesity or something, maybe both
Only plays women
Always makes it fetishbait
Doesn't have any attachment to characters, gets bored, kills them off and makes another waifu
We let him DM ONCE
ONCE
nobody in our current group is willing to have anything to do with him.

>fat exmillitary dude
takes games too seriously
uses military tactics he couldn't know IC (good when we played only war and he was allowed to know it though)
powerplayer minmaxer munchkin
Shares food
Cool guy
Was more open and friendly with us than we expect, sooner than we expected
Bit of cunt due to hanging around lots of cunts in the army

>She-Giant
Dating Greek-bull
poor roleplayer
Bad at improv
probably only play because she gets to spend time with greek bull
Immature
thinks she's friends with people just because her boyfriend is friends with them
quiet and makes the game go quicker when not everyone is vying for the spotlight

>whore
Dated Perpetually sick bro
sucked my brothers dick
Tried to 'seduce' me
pathetic roleplayer
Doesn't pay attention
slows game down
Glad she's gone

I sense you must be 160 cm tall and extremely insecure about it

Also, probably an internet wizard, never even crossing looks with a female

In a This Dude thread, you just had to be That Guy, didn't you?

please tell me you play a barbarian

>Group has two GMs
>Me and This Dude
>TD blows my GMing out of the water. Detailed, excellent writing, improv like a champ, perfect pacing
>Group still comes to my stammering, nervous bullshit
>TD eventually has to stop GMing because life gets too hectic for him to deal with prepwork all the time
>leaving me as the only GM
>TD is at almost every session he has a character in
>Follows the plot threads
>Takes detailed notes
>Asks for clarification, talks to NPCs and gets as much relevant information as possible
>After years of rules light and freeform RP, finally decide to DM 5e
>TD is HYPE
>Joins the group and helps me as psuedo co-DM, but is always mindful of his boundaries and making sure he doesn't go too far
>Doesn't try to hog the spotlight despite the fact that his character could Charisma their way out of Auschwitz

I wish he'd GM again sometime because being the only GM is fucking painful, but goddam he's such a great dude

>Be new to table tops and young as a cheap wine
>Get into a 4e group when it was still young
>Group has two grognards older than my father and two younger gronardlings
>GM is one of the grognards
>Grognardlings play yes men to their whims because of NoticeMeSenpai.jpg
>Despite the system being extremely combat heavy young me likes it, since all the RP is mostly up to the players
>Grognard player talks me down for voicing my opinion on daring to like the system
>Grognardlings just nod along
>Little baby me feels depressed because big angry man told me I have a wrong taste
>GM rolls his eyes and tells him to fuck the right off and not scare the newbie
>Grognardlings are torn as their role models disagree
>Player grognard goes silent while grumbling about WotC ruining DnD forever
>Session ends, stay to clean up as Player Grognard and grognardlings leave because of tight schedules
>GMognard tells me not to worry and lets me have the left over chips, pizzas and whatnot since he is on a diet

And since that day I have never let some smelly old men tell me I can't enjoy a system for any reason. Bless you GMognard for even existing. Didn't see him ever again after the campaign finished

/pol/ pls go

Not my fault someone has serious heigh and sexuality issues, while shitposing in This Guy (which is the proper term) thread

>This Dude
>older gent, hosts sessions at his residence weekly
>playing TTRPGs since before i was born
>built from scratch a giant gaming table in his garage for the party
>usually has sodas and snacks (for 8-12 people per session)
>bad movie night on holiday sessions
>amazing character actor, RP skills are outta this world
>even does accents well
>helped me get into both playing and DMing
>intentionally rolls back his power level to let the newer gamers flourish and find their place

first and only game group i've been a part of and i was hooked from session 1

We generally call them "This Guy", to strengthen the parallel between them and "That Guy"s.

Regardless, I had one once that made cookies for us basically every time we got together, and also paid for our midnight junk-food runs.

>Perpetually sick bro
Why does this happen to people?

Usually it's shit like dietary issues that they haven't figured out yet, or they just have a terrible immune system and happen to live/work with people who carry a lot of diseases.

I thought this was my group for a second and it scared the shit out of me.

Respiratory conditions can make people seem sick even if they're not. Asthma can make people cough constantly, for example

The GM for my L5R game (let's call him Ed) is a This Guy of the highest caliber.

>go to the gamefinder thread
>see a post about an L5R game that's starting up
>know nothing about the setting pretty much, but it seems interesting and a change of pace from forever40k
>join game, three other people, rough starts out-of-character, but eventually get along with everyone else
>helps everyone craft out their backstories if they aren't too familiar with the fluff and lore for things
>changes around the setting lore in slight ways to make it less skubtastic (like the shenanigans involving Daigotsu becoming the new Satan of the setting)
>missed only four games during a half year period

He's also the reason I've been reading up on L5R stuff.

Was he actually a cool person, or did he just provide food?

Like, I had one once that made brownies and such for us pretty frequently since he was an amateur chef/baker, but was a total asshat once we got in game.

Random genetic mutations are also a thing, user. In fact, they are the worst, because unlike un-Veeky Forums people having or gaining typical diseases of affluence, you can do shit about it.
A girl playing in my group has a serious case of sickle-cell anaemia. Everyone was cock-sure she's simply some sort of goth (clothes fit, music taste fit) and that's why she's so pale. She didn't told anyone, and we tend to combine our games with hikes and picnics in wild. So one day she fainted midway to the designated spot, in the middle of nowhere. Now we are laughing about it, but it wasn't fun at all when she started to get cyanosis back then.

>SCA
Well that sucks, especially if not detected early on.

On the upside, she won't suffer from Malaria.

Awww

I think they can be, but, as an ex-gm turned player, you usually fall into party leader or just overtalking. You're used to talking more at the table, and you're used to making plans.

>This dude made a martial arts master for his character
>wrote a detailed list of the tenets of his style and their application
>offered in-character wisdom that fit his tenets to other players that was actually helpful instead of pseudo-spiritual stuff
>based his outer personality on a playful child
>rather than being annoying, the playful child act was a useful ploy for the party to learn someone's demeanor
>would recruit some defeated enemies by offering them a second chance as his students
>started a school to train them
>school doubled as a kobold funhouse (some students were kobolds) that the group used to their advantage a few times by luring enemies in
>still use several of his prominent students as NPCs years later because they were fun to develop as personalities and fun to RP

Our group has a This Dude, and he's a new player, just moved to town. My group bumped into him at a game release and invited him. A couple of them were apprehensive but he turned out to be a good fit.

>texted me before game and asked if he should bring anything like snacks or drinks, no other player has done this
>Has played D&D, but not 5e. We're doing Storm King's Thunder.
>After thumbing through PHB, asks DM if he can be a Catholic, gets told no.
>My That Guy alarm goes off, but he just goes, "No problem" and plays a dragonborn.
>Rolls a Green dragonborn fighter, proceeds to (both in and out of character) keep everyone on track (important because I at least have horrible ADD and frequently get distracted)
>Stayed in character and roleplayed a believable character
>after the game, offered to host as soon as he gets his new apartment straightened out.
>saw all my rulebooks on my shelf and expressed interest in other games

Everything went better than expected.

Catholic should have been "catgirl," but I guess wanting to be a cardinal or something could also be dangerous...

I got caught up on the in-game and stuff and should have also mentioned he was the glue that kept the group functioning. He rarely took the spotlight but always guided the rest of the group towards remaining in-character and on-task.

The same group was a nightmare to run when his work schedule changed.

>Malaria
>In Estonia
user...

>This dude
>Has a mohawk, a total goth
>Fetish with vampires
>think he’s gonna be that guy
>Already had bad experiences with werewolf furry
>turns out better than expected
>Comes to every one of my session
>Takes notes, draws everyone’s character
>tells everyone to stop interrupting me
>keeps in character
>Interacts with the world
>Remembers all thee dumbass details that I had laid out
>Again, only person who comes constantly out of our group of 16+ people
>Leaving Uni due to personal and health issues
>Going to miss you, dude

>Randomly assembled team via literal add in local newspaper
>Standard oddball crew of widely diverse people shows up on first meeting in the cultural center
>Suddenly a wild dres (Polish chav) appears
>Bald, broad-shouldered, with shitty tribal on his calf and spreading the characteristic smell of cheap cigs, while talking with really low class manerism and a slight accent from local dialect
>Everyone is tense
>Turns out he's a massive cyberpunk nerd and IT technician by trade, not to mention almost religious devotion to Black Lagoon
>Super-attentive, with great memory, never interrupting, while being able to immerse as an operator and actually think like a criminal (duh) and not just trying to fill an archetype
>Not so big for fantasy, but never disrespectful when rest of the ultimately 5-people strong party wanted to play something fantasy-themed
>The most regular member of the party, always on time, and always driving younger players home with his aged Golf if we finish really late
>Learned about RPG, anime and other "nerd" stuff when in the technical high school, since it was almost monopolised by by the most stereotypical fa/tg/uys and techie dweebs and he had nobody else to socialise with there, all while still living in the worst hood in the city

This is a good thread. Why can't more people be like these?

>Be me back in high school
>Play MHRP with a bunch of teenagers
>Game runs decently at first but quickly falls apart because people are too lazy to learn the system and sperg out halfway through

>Be me still in high school
>Play MHRP with my kid brother and his friend that I'm babysitting
>They actually come up with more creative ways to defeat villains (one played Thor and defeated Carnage in an elevator chamber by hitting the metal walls so hard they resonated insanely loud and took him out in one)
>Play by the rules, no sperg outs

Sometimes I feel hope for the next generation.

>guy is new to tabletop games, very familiar with roleplay and fantasy, including some of the setting's fluff
>asks me of the tone of the game as well as the roles the other player characters have filled so he can keep it balanced and immersive
>doesn't play a half-elf sue or meme character but has personality

This might sound like entry-level shit for being a decent player but literally none of my other players did or do this.

This dude Dave.

Man, Dave you were such a pleasant surprise.

Running PF 4 years ago. 3 couples. Everyone but Dave types up 5 page back stories for their characters. Dave gives me a single 5x7 note card, hand written in jellyroll pen, with gems such as:
>Family: elves, yo
>Home: Far away land

I was worried.

But damn Dave.

>Party is lost in a vast network of caves dug out by large swaying insectoids. Trapped in a lower level with tunnels too far off the ground to reach and the party being surrounded.
>Dave tears off the mandible of a defeated grunt and affixes the jagged jaws to his forearms, using them to dig into the earth allowing him to reach a tunnel and drop a rope for the rest of the party. Dropping from the ceiling onto enemies was prevalent for the rest of the dungeon.

Seducing blacksmiths daughters. Magically raising earth to provide a position to fight off swarming halflings "king of the hill" style...

You were hilarious, effective, creative and a God damnEd jewel of a player.

Saved from the brink.

The fact this thread died so quickly is an indictment that That Guys should be tazed.

How is that /pol/? That's firmly, FULLY grounded in reality, and is kind of funny.

Absolutely no /pol/ detected aside from a very casual mention of race.

/pol/ isn't the new tumblr, user, please calm down.

>drunken shenanigans
I'm a pretty great GM, but the one thing I've lost patience with over the years is drunk players, when I'm a GM or just a Player.

I've got a regular in my group who draws, is not an asshole and is not This Dude/This Guy either. He's just indecisive cunt aftraid of making decisions, moves and declarations, always slowing everyone down and almost requiring getting commands out of him by force

/pol/ apologizer pls go

sounds like me lmao

Funniest autocorrect I've seen in a while

>this dude is our friend's younger brother, over a decade younger than all of us (we're all in our mid/late 30's, he's in his early 20's)
>been playing with us since we started playing on Skype, when he was like 16
>is a really damn good DM, puts a lot of love and time into his original settings and plots. >great at improv-ing games too
>is great as a player, gets into character and roleplays very well without being cringey
>somehow always ends up as a team-leader type character when he's a player because of this
>despite being out of our age group, still gets a lot of our references and makes us laugh

Honestly the only negative aspects about him is that he occasionally gets kinda flakey (depression issues) and he is also sort of a furry? But he doesn't shove it down your throat and doesn't demand to play animal races where they don't fit. One of his settings has them but they're surprisingly well done. Overall a good guy, glad he's in our group.

>After thumbing through PHB, asks DM if he can be a Catholic, gets told no.
>Drops his religion right fucking there.

Bro tier.

Fuck off dude. Stop making shit political when it isn't.

>/pol/ isn't the new tumblr, user, please calm down.
True.
It's worse than that.

>the characteristic smell of cheap cigs
What, that horrible smell of burning wet paper? Ugh.

No, the smell of low quality tobacco

Don't die on me. Also, story time
>Joining a pre-existing group
>It consists of four guys who were going to school together
>It was a trade school
>They are all cooks by trade
>Delicious food each time we meet to play
>Insulted when I want to pay for my share of eating
>One of them helping me with my diet to keep it tasty, yet still having the same amount of calories and proteins