Could a marine in terminator armor survive atmospheric re-entry, or would the armor or marine be cooked to death...

Could a marine in terminator armor survive atmospheric re-entry, or would the armor or marine be cooked to death? If they could survive re-entry, could they survive the fall to orbit?

I mean, the spartan IIs in halo could and they're supposed to be shit compared to a space marine.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/552190212881653760/yw8U-Xqv.jpeg&imgrefurl=https://twitter.com/illuminati_stop&docid=cPhObEgzHh9puM&tbnid=iK72AxMSUkU--M:&vet=1&w=256&h=256&bih=655&biw=1366&q=cancel illuminati&ved=0ahUKEwiAidSI_5XRAhWGSSYKHRx2AUoQMwgjKAcwBw&iact=mrc&uact=8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fall from orbit*

Maybe?

iirc the armor was built originally for working inside fusion reactors or something

I'm pretty sure the impact would kill the marine inside.
The armor would probably be fine though.

I'm going to say no, because if they could somebody would have done it by now in some sort of tragic droppod accident.

This is one of those moments where the SPARTANS being smaller and lighter is a good thing. Injury in a fall scales HARD with weight.

Example: if you drop a mouse off a three story building, it will scurry off unharmed.
A dog will limp away in pain.
A human will crawl slowly away in pain.
A horse will die screaming.
An elephant will splash.

even then, in one of the books a group of Spartans jump from a pelican in high atmosphere and most die/get fucked up

chief just survived unharmed because of (((luck)))

>Spartans
>Space Marines

I like how people obsess over those in 2 in their respective settings so much.

We all fucking know that the UNSC marines and Imperial Guard are the true heroes the power level babies cant handle the fact of normal people kicking ass.

Hm, are there any circumstances that a marine could survive the fall from orbit? Would standard power armor still be too heavy? What other explenations could save a marine that dropped from orbit- would landing in the ocean help at all? I suppose the force would still be pretty extreme when he hit the water surface.

Fair enough, what scenario could a marine survive a fall from orbit then short of chaos or the emperor interfering? Also you didnt adress my point about the marine being cooked to death by rentry, can we assume then that power armor will survive and protect the marine inside during atmospheric re-entry?

>marines
try again

This guy gets it

Thats kinda true even when I was a halo fan that came off as rediculous to me. Not only did he survive re-entry but he also survived a drop from orbit? But he still dies to a punch in the back?

Starting from a very slow speed, at the right angle and only accelerating under 1.5 g's or lesd? Sure. Bruised and broken but in one piece. Other ways of planetfall would probably fuck the termi up.

Its also about falling right. In Fall of Reach the book the spartan 2s still took masdive injuries and severe casualties when they deorbited sans pelican. They made sure to land in ways that turned as much of their vertical momentum into horizontal momentum. Even then the super shock absorbers abd stuff got royaly fucked up.

A termie has limited agility in freefall in comparison so i think it'd be hard for them to land right.

And in halo three 117 used a spaceship bulkhead as ablative armour.

what if he swung a thunder hammer at the ground at the last second?

Still pary of the corps, just a very specific part of it.

Separation of game play limitations and choices and fluffy coolness.

Water would help. He'd prolly survive the cooking if he was Expecting the rentry. I headcannon that termi armour can selectivly seal its joints and stuff at the expense of mobility. Mobility that died is not needed at the burny burny part of re-entry

It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter on whether or not the armor is designed to absorb the shock and other forces acting on the marine, in which case, termie armor isn't.

Hmmm, so theoretically if the termie was going slow and had some way to aim himself right before hitting the atmosphere, and sealed his army before hitting the atmosphere, aaaand landed in a body of water- he could walk away with severe injuries, and his armor would be fine?

I think its safe to assume to his terminator armors computer could project the trajectory of reentry hed need, the issue would be how does a terminator floating in space aim himself for re-entry.

Noble 6 confirmed best rentry expert Spartan

RIP in pieces Noble 6.

I'm dearly awaiting the EW-version (basically the GOTY) of XCOM 2 so that I can remake my own Noble 6, have him canonically survive and lead a new team of spartans 4 in vengeance. Thanks mods.

Oh, I mean, Im pretty sure it can since land raiders can- but Terminator armor can of course survive the pressure at the bottom of the ocean, right?

>Atmospheric re-entry
>spartan IIs in halo could
Spartan IIs either had specially made gear to assist with the impact of landing (Halo graphic novel) or they had to jury rig their gear, which damaged their armor and did in fact kill two out of the seven SPARTAN IIs (Fall of reach)
When 117MC had his atmospheric re-entry, he was latched onto a piece of ship plating to help mitigate the burning from re-entry, then crashed in the water and still had his armor damaged and was injured from the fall (Halo 3)

So while the spartans CAN survive a fall at terminal velocity, it is unwise as they still have a 2/9 chance of dying

>they're supposed to be shit compared to a space marine.
Not really.
SMs have thicker armor, heavier weapons, and in the case of librarians or older marines, superior experience.
That being said, SPARTAN IIs are still genetically superior super humans with excellent training and high tech gear.

That would be like saying a missile boat is inferior to a battleship because the battleship is bigger. That user, is thinking like an Ork, which is heresy.

No because sphess muhreen a shit

Here, have better marines

Heat isn't an issue. Spaceship reentry is hot because they need to decelerate from LUDICROUSLY fast orbital speeds down to the comparatively quaint speed of sound. We're talking km/s to km/h here. Acceleration due to gravity will only get you up to terminal velocity, which is the point at which air resistance is decelerating you faster than gravity is accelerating you. There's no heat buildup to speak of at this point. Once you're going faster than terminal, the air resistance starts doing it's damnedist to turn all your speed into heat as quickly as possible.

>aaaand landed in a body of water
Landing in water is actually not much better than landing on concrete, since water doesn't compress at all. The main difference is that unlike stone, water will then engulf your broken body and drag you into darkness.

Yeah, sounds like it.

In done parts of lore space marine armour had little attitude jets for low/nullgrav situations. So minor adjustments could be made. Especially if that armor was kitted for frequent spacehulk missions cause grav situ sons can get crazy in there

Standard power armor can withstand ocean-bottom pressures. Hell, marine physiology could probably handle walking around on the continental shelf once he popped his ears.

Terminator suits were designed to work inside of fusion reactors while they're still running. No pressure in nature is going to do shit.

Noble 6 had a rentry harness made for that exact task.
I was talking about locking the joints into place like metal on metal seals to keep fire and stuff from getting into the softer bits. Termi armour is already sealed to the gills for pressure

Here have a superior marine

>Hey bob whats badass in scifi
>Drop pods
>power armor
>Marines in space
>BOB I GOT IT
>WHAT IF WE TURN THOSE POWER ARMORED MARINES
>INTO DROP PODS
>By god thats an amazing idea

Sequel never ever

>ODST
>Feet first into hell
My distinguished user

In Iron Snakes a marine dives I think 500 or 600 meters which is dangerous for even them.

He's well hidden.

The heat of re-entry in orbit is no problem for a Terminator armour. Hitting the ground would surely kill the Marine though. Armour would be damaged but could be repaired.

You sound like a nerd who identifies with the weakest party possible.

How much can you bench? Half a pound?

Whatever, a space marine could take out several spartan 2's in a fight. Thats all Im saying. If you disagree, you're a halo fanboy.

Huh, that makes sense, ok then.

Alright so what would be the best area to land? A swamp or estuary where the ground is mush?

That makes sense, Im thinking worse case scenario he has to do another pass around the sun to get his rentry angle just right, and he could just go into suspended animation for the year he was floating until it was time to wake up and plot his reentry.

Awesome, so this is totally possible.

Im talking abyssal plain, like two miles underwater. I think regular power armor would be crushed. In one of the Eisenhorn or Ravenor books they mention how even the imperium lacks the tech to descend to ocean depths of more than like 10 miles.

I dont think the continental shelf is normally any deeper then that, so he could walk around there.
He'd get squished if he was on the abyssal plain tho

Well the continental shelf is usually less than 150m so it sounds like they'd be fine.

How does weightlifting have anything to do with this?

Also dont make fun of me 150 ;_;

you want a sequel to a sequeal?

Dont listen its some resident autist around here who whenever gets into an argument will say "how much do you bench"

What if you have a vagina and see no appeal in a no girls allowed club where sweaty body builders touching their big hot "boltguns" whilst staring into eachothers eyes?
I play guard and chaos, playing an army of entirely marines is pretty homo erotic

it's not about weight or heat or impact, it's the problem of deceleration

at that speed - assuming he fell from a starship in orbit of an earthlike planet, for example, so he's moving at a predictable speed when he hits the atmosphere - he's maybe going to survive the heat (if he has sufficient ceramite plating, and it's likely he does, and assuming the seals/edges/repairs are all going to survive, which is less of a given) and his weight, while an issue, isn't going to significantly affect his speed because he's already moving at, say, 7.66 km/s like the ISS when he falls and he is if anything going to slow down when he hits atmosphere; if he hits water or concrete or a mattress factory at that speed, he's going to be paste in a mangled suit of armor in a crater; it doesn't matter what he falls on, and it isn't really the impact killing him - it's the sudden deceleration, which he would at some point have to deal with regardless

it's not possible to survive that kind of deceleration without magic tech; when you're in space it doesn't matter as much (but it does matter) because your speed can be gradually increased and decreased (hence re-entry doesn't kill the occupants of orbiter craft); but if you're just tumbling in a man-shaped thing toward a planet, you're fucked because you have no control surfaces or deployables (like parachutes) to slow your descent gradually or stop you from falling straight downward (which is pretty much what's going to happen to you without wings, though due to factors like wind and rotational velocity "straight down" is a misnomer)

even drop pods have control surfaces (albeit tiny weenie ones) and massive retrothrusters to slow descent; to you on the ground they'd appear to slam down incredibly fast (and probably would severely injure a normal human inside), but they'd be relatively leisurely compared to falling from space

a marine with a jump pack could do it by controlled burns

Couldnt you angle yourself so that you hit the ground mostly going in a horizontal direction, displacing most of the force of impact from squishing you, and allowing you to tumble haphazardly across the ground or water surface for a few miles before stopping? This could give you that needed deceleration, the impacts are gonna hurt pretty bad even in that scenario though.

>Whatever, a space marine could take out several spartan 2's in a fight. Thats all Im saying. If you disagree, you're a halo fanboy.

I'd say your SPARTAN IIs are probably equals to an Astartes scout.

photoshop or mod ?

A few weeks back we had a thread about this, and it was determined without a doubt that Space marines were superior in just about everything from strength, to equipment to their utility organs. The only thing a spartan really wins at may be stealth, though probably not against a real stealthy chapter like the raptors. Thats not to say spartans aren't good, and maybe they could take a space marine, but for the most part even the most experienced Spartan IIs would struggle even with numbers, surprise and equipment.

That thread pops up more than you think and it always comes out that marines are superior. Spartans really stand no chance against a space marine, a naked marine vs a spartan in mjolnir armor might be a fair fight but even then the marine has superior close combat skills and could easily outmanuever and get the lethal back punch off on a spartan.

I think it could be done. Any heat is less of an issue, so it's mainly a matter of surviving impact.

As some have pointed out, it's possible terminator armor would have small maneuvering jets for use in the void. Those could be saved until the last moment to help provide some extra deceleration.

I think something else that might help would be to attempt to land powerfist first. Essentially, superman punch into the ground with as much force as possible. That will draw out the time of deceleration, and potentially allow the Terminator to displace more of the surface in order to help cushion is fall.

Launching off some storm bolter rounds wouldn't hurt either. It'll loosen the ground or break the surface tension of the water, as well as providing some additional recoil.

Even doing all that though, it'd be a rough landing in the best case.

A spartan 2 is some where in between. They have seriouse augments like iron dense armour, ceramic carbide infused bones and hyper responsive senses. In the end its a difference of design and scale. The MC bitchslapped a supee sonic missile away during one of his first tests of MOJNLR IV armour. And he's just above average in skill/speed/ability.

Dafuq is this?

Its entirely liked that you could unload an entire magazine of the halo assault rifle into a naked marines chest and not stop him, the bullets probably wouldnt even penetrate his ribcage.

from a game called Section 8. instead of people in power armor dropping in drop pods, the power armor has strong enough shields, rockets on legs, jet packs and super armor to survive a direct vertical drop from high orbit. depending on what the person wants, they can either slow down enough to get land feet up (they drop head down to planet) and start shooting right away, or keep going sanic speed into the ground and get up a second or two later and then start shooting.

I don't think so, no. MC survived because the plot required him to survive, and thus he grabbed a piece of spaceship hull and used it to survive re-entry and the subsequent landing.

No space marine, Terminator armor or not, will ever do that. A space marine's priority upon falling from orbit will not be survival, it will be trying to punch something from orbit.

To be fair, the assault rifle is essentially an Autogun, which has the same stats as a lasgun (S 3, AP -, Rapid Fire). So, technically they'd have a 1/3 chance of wounding a space marine and then another 1/2 chance of killing him per wound. ;)

>Naked Marine vs. Spartan in Mjolnir Armor
I may be able to give you that a Marine would come out on top in a fight, but I think that's a little ridiculous. Even if you assume that the Marine can match an armored Spartan II in terms of speed (which, considering that they move at the speed of superhuman THOUGHT, I have my doubts about), the Spartan has much greater staying power in his/her regenerating energy shields.
>Superior close combat skills
See above. Not sure that's a given. Granted, marines are pretty damn brutal in melee, but speed is infinitely more important in a fight than strength, and I'm not sure Marines can match a fully armored Spartan II, especially one that's used to dealing with enemies with a penchant for melee.

It's open for debate, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's advantage Marine here.

Mods.

>another 1/2 chance of killing him per wound

Except a marine's armor save is 3+. So it'd be another 1/3 chance.

Is it really a good assumption that he wouldn't hit the ground at terminal velocity? He'll be hitting the atmosphere at a horizontal angle.

I mean, sure, if you're starting from a dead stop at orbital distance. But it's really fucking hard to be at those altitudes without moving really fucking fast. If you're just jumping out of something in orbit, you're starting off at orbital speed, in which case the air resistance will cook you unless you have protection.

We said naked marine, but yes, an autogun has a chance to hurt a space marine- but you'd have to aim at vulnerable areas like his neck, face, armpits- basically someplace uncovered by muscle and bone. So yeah, if you fired your entire magazine into his chest, hed bleed a lot but I doubt you'd do any real damage.

>Also you didnt adress my point about the marine being cooked to death by rentry, can we assume then that power armor will survive and protect the marine inside during atmospheric re-entry?
Space Marines have Ceramite, which is absurdly good at heat dispersion. It takes either super-space-napalm, a gun that is a open ended nuclear meltdown or one that has a beam of heat in the millions of degrees to reliably get through it.

UNSC is treated like completely useless tools at every chance possible. IG at least gets their day in the sun.

Going by the official Halo Encyclopedia, the fucking Taliban could be a credible threat to the UNSC

Don't forget the entire HFY armies consisted of turbocharged SPARTANS. And Mass Effect style personal automatic gauss cannon+Landmates 3.0.

There are documented cases of common humans IRL who survived terminal velocity falls. I suppose a Space Marine has a fair chance of surviving even though hurt

>hey jim, what if when we start expanding into the stars we meet aliens?
>fuck that noise, were gonna send out a giant fuck off fleet to kill anything in the area of space were gonna colonize. that will show those alien scum not to exist!
>goddamnit jim, this is the exact reason you get paid the big bucks

this is why the united states empire is best faction. 40k conversion when?

I'm far from a Halo lore expect but I believe that nuclear-armed terrorists were the exact reason SPARTANs were created in the first place.

if your question contains both a subject pertaining to 40k and the word "could" the answer is yes.

The one exception being "could 40k not be awesome under any circumstance".

Why not get the reach weapons and UNSC flag while your at it user?

Correct.

The UNSC is a bunch of jobbers. The only time they really stand out at all is with the Helljumpers and the actual Navy itself, and even that is mostly limited to Keyes and Cole.

TT stats brings a bunch of problems though.
>Assault Cannon has ~4000rpm
>Fries 4 times per turn
>Ergo 40k missile launchers shoot as fast as an mg42

Vulkan couldn't in his own artificer armour. No way a marine could.

google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/552190212881653760/yw8U-Xqv.jpeg&imgrefurl=https://twitter.com/illuminati_stop&docid=cPhObEgzHh9puM&tbnid=iK72AxMSUkU--M:&vet=1&w=256&h=256&bih=655&biw=1366&q=cancel illuminati&ved=0ahUKEwiAidSI_5XRAhWGSSYKHRx2AUoQMwgjKAcwBw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Maybe he should have worn a fucking helmet.

but vulkan alive

If Deathwatch has taught us anything, Fall Damage is the single most-deadly adversary in the galaxy to a Space Marine.

>No space marine, Terminator armor or not, will ever do that. A space marine's priority upon falling from orbit will not be survival, it will be trying to punch something from orbit.

This is so fucking spot on that I may have shit my pants when I read it. Thanks for the kek, but I need new undies.

The bigger you are, the harder you fall, my man. A normal Marine is 8 feet tall and weighs half a ton. A Terminator is 9 1/2 feet tall and is wearing a mobile tank.

Space Marines have survived falls from orbit. In power armor. In Terminator armor they should even be healthier on impact.

Yet when you shoot your own guys in Space Hulk with heavy flamer, they die on 2+...

Gotta love how lore contradicts crunch.

Quick, we need write-or-drawfaggetry on this!

Iskandar Khayon survived his drop pod disintegrating from orbit. He lost 2 battle brothers though because they landed into the ocean

How? Aren't space marines waterproof?

They're water proof but they weren't Mariana trench proof. They got crushed to death by oceanic pressures.

This. If a primarch "died" from orbital fall, and only came back because he was a perpetual, then no one else has a slight chance.

The number of shots isn't its literal fire rate.

Only way i could see it happening is if the suits have enough fancy padding and suspension to slow the deceleration a bit but i doubt it.

Except they have and they were fine.

Thats second prority first priority is landing somewhere the apothecary can get to your body.

angry marines chapter tactics?

>White Justaerin
TRIGGERED

Space Hulk is one of the biggest culprits in the crunch vs fluff problem.

a single lucky jeansstealer can wipe out your squad if he rolls lucky

He survived re-entry because he used a door off Forerunner ship he came in on as a heat shield, he survived impact because of both the terrain he landed on as well as the inner gel layer of his suit, which hardens to protect the user from impacts. So it makes sense, but only barely.

It won't matter where you land, the impact deceleration will be identical and would turn the unlucky victim into mush.

I don't know, what character's in it and how much of my book is left.

Alternatively, do they have even one fate point?

>main characters are supposed to die when things get hard! The fact that a small fraction dies means the MAIN CHARACTER should die too!

>I don't know how a military with different units that do different things works

Spartans are smarter and if you say otherwise you're a 40k fan boys

Autoguns are akin to .50s. The M5A uses 7.62 so....

I love 40k but goddamn, their lore is about as unified as the bible.
>If it happened once, it's the same across the board

Marines are fuckheueg bipedal tanks with a small rocket launcher. Spartans (2s) are leagues smarter. No spartan ever went traitor. Marines have killed unimaginable horrors.

If you can say one is ultimately better than the other, you're a fanboy. I think both sides would win in their element.

Except Heavy Stubbers are the .50 equivalent, Autoguns are pretty much a small arms rifle

post is gold

This. It's not the supersoldiers who are the heroes, it's the everyman.

You're right, my misteak. However, an Autogun has what, a normal 10rnd mag whereas the M5A has a 60rnd mag. It's much bigger bullets is all I'm saying.

This comes up every time. Lasguns are equivalent to autoguns and are described as being able to blow an arm or leg clean off. That's at least 50cal if not a 20mm cannon. A heavy stubber is pbly more akin to a modern day light cannon than a hmg, and the autoguns do damage like a heavy machine gun.