Alright, Veeky Forums, I have a DM problem. There is a player in my current group that is becoming problematic...

Alright, Veeky Forums, I have a DM problem. There is a player in my current group that is becoming problematic. I think the core problem stems from her need to always win/be right. But it's an inferiority thing. She always has to have superior performance or knowledge.

The specific problems I'm having are, in order:

1. She flubs dice rolls. And not, like, ok, this is an important roll, I'll flub it just to be sure this once. No, she never rolls under a 15 on her d20, always rolls within 2-3 of max damage on her damage dice, and it is affecting the game balance. She plays an archer, and with a +15 to-hit, has missed an AC 27 2/9 times in a fight. She attributed those to her third shot in each round being a +10 instead of a +15. Her damage, which should be d8+d6+12, hasn't come out to under a 23. I'm running them through Age of Worms. And it's gotten to the point where I add hit points to the enemies AND give them a spell effect that gives her arrows a 50% miss chance that I control. She's upsetting game balance.

2. She's driving off players. My own sister, Veeky Forums. My sister would love to play DnD with me and my friends, but this player always has to one-up everybody, and drives my sister away. She has repeatedly stated that she'd love to play if this player wasn't there.

Now, the dilemma. She lives with the other people I play with. She's their roommate. So I can't realistically ask her not to play. Moreover, when I bring up the subject of flubbing her dice rolls, or ask that she roll them where everyone can clearly see them, she becomes angry and confrontational. Everyone at the table knows she is lying about her dice. But she refuses to acknowledge that.

I'm planning to kill her character. I even know how I'm going to do it. And she will either get pissed at me and refuse to play anymore, or she will bitch and moan and whine and demand to have her character back. Which will not happen.

How would you handle it, Veeky Forums?

Killing her character isn't going to solve anything. You've already established that she's in control at the table by tolerating cheating and letting your own sister be pushed away by this person.

You need to have an honest conversation about this with everyone and not back down. If the end result is that there will be no changes to her behavior, then you need to start looking for a new group.

If it were me, I would have stopped this whole issue as soon as I discovered that the player is cheating. Unexcuseable.

Why does your sister hate her? If the only thing she actually does is flub rolls then it sounds like onee-chan is just being catty.

Implement a new rule, all dice must be rolled openly in the middle of the table for everyone to see. No one rolls dice until the GM tells them to.

This. She can't argue without practically saying she's cheating then

OP says it makes her angry and confrontational, and he can't have her physically leave.

If the group refuses to follow this rule then I'd recommend you stop DMing for them.

"That glass has 120ml of clear, scentless fluid"

End the game and start a new one without inviting her.

I mean, at a point you just need to sack up and say it, then not give a fuck about how she reacts.

I don't understand this perpetual fear of "what if this person gets mad?!" some people have. Who cares if they get mad? What is she going to do, physically attack you? If so, either beat her ass or call the cops, depending on how likely you think she is to press charges.

As a solution, he should also take down the DM screen and roll openly for them. As an act of faith, have everyone's rolls be open for a while, including the DM. Literally tell the players that they can call him out on his dice, just like he can call them out.

What the OP should absolutely not do, is kill off her character through DM fiat, socially ostracize her, or generally be passive aggressive about it. Confront the problem like a goddamn adult, at the end of the day even if she's a problem player, no one can argue that you weren't fair.

Who would you rather fuck, OP? Your cheating player or your sister?

Cheating player is a confrontational chubby feminist who only got invited because she's roommate to other players, so...

Well you could... I dunno...
Use your fucking words?
Grow a pair and talk to her?

Cheating player, definitely. Your sister will always be around, but that exact flavour of crazy will be a delight to pump.

>Your sister will always be around
More reason to cherish her!

I realise you want to avoid conflict, but if you let her control the table it's you might as well not bother playing.

Talk to the others about it. If you're lucky, maybe you can get her to come round and play fair. If not, you might well just have to ask her leave.

For all you know OP is a girl herself.

Good. Lesbian sex is best sex.

this. only DM's have the privilege of hidden dice rolls and even then its optional & at their discretion

Thank you for pointing out the possibility, nevertheless the question stands.

DM rolling dice openly can present a lot of problems. If people are rolling for search or perception, or if enemies that the PCs don't know about are rolling perception, it needs to be done in secret.
Still, I agree the making all players roll more publicly without singling anyone out specifically is the best solution. Using DM fiat to persecute players is almost never the correct solution.

Bribe someone to be her boyfriend or girlfriend. Make sure they have plans every gameday, so she will want to leave the place and not join in the game at the same time.

I agree completely, the screen is a useful tool. I think the benefits gained in this case would be worth it.

If anything, just go easy on the players while adjusting.

And that's... a problem?

Tell her to roll openly, or use an app to roll for her. It does not matter if she gets angry and confrontational. She's cheating. Don't let her hold the game hostage. If she doesn't want to cooperate, kick her. It doesn't matter if she lives there, if she isn't going to play properly, she isn't going to play. Worst case, take your game to a coffee shop or a private room or some shit. Do not let her control the game. This is how you teach her that her behavior will get her what she wants.

Also, PCs should have to play by the rules, but it's the DMs prerogative to flub rolls. Sometimes you want to preserve the fun of a play session and not have the entire party get murdered.

>s/he doesn't want the D
You've changed, Veeky Forums. You've changed.

The answer to someone fudging die rolls is to give them no die rolls. Maybe polymorph curse her into a small talking critter until the end of the adventure without explanation, let her figure out the reason on her own. Or destroy her bow/arrows and force her to battle with inappropriate gear requiring a nat 20. Or a paralysis/geas effect where she cannot attack but is able to interact with the environment in other ways. If she takes you to task, tell her her "run of luck" isn't fair to the other players.

Don't punish the party by buffing monster HP, that just makes them more dependent on her.

If you don't play over there, set up the next adventure somewhere else with the team and your sister and without the cheater. Explain the adventure won't work with any more players.

If you play over there, gotta endure a bit or she might make everyone quit and then there'd be no game.

Why are the most effective solutions usually the most expensive ones?

If OP isn't willing or able to bribe a whore every time he wants to play, he's gonna have to man up, talk to the group, and stick to his guns.

Easy.
Any dice rolls you can't see are automatically treated as the lowest possible result.

More of less parroting everyone else here, but buy or build a dice tower. Even better "i've had this dice tower around forever/my doddering relative bought me this dice tower and I'd like it tor get some use, from now on all pc rolls in the Doce tower," since you seem incapable of making new rules for the table.

Just kick her out, you goddamn moron.

I'm sure I'm not the only one saying this, but OP, really, there is only ONE proper solution to this. Confront her about it. Killing her character is not going to fix anything: either she is going to get mad anyway, or she'll roll a new one and do it all over again: either way, it's a cowardly way to avoid having to do what may be unpleasant, but has to be done.

Just fucking confront her about what she is doing. You can work out a solution once you confront her, like proposing the rule that all dicerolls are open and visible, using a dice tower etc... but FIRST OF ALL you have to come and say:
"Look, we know what you are doing, and we can't continue playing like this." And if she gets mad and confrontational, tell her that she has only two options: either agree on a new system of overseeing the rolls, or leave. Tell her that if she is honest about her rolls, there is no reason to hide her rolls, and if she finds that unacceptable, it's simply impossible for her to continue being part of your group.

I don't know what other people in your group are like, so I can't tell you if this is better done intervention-style, in front of everyone (better yet, after talking it through with everyone else), or if your other players are wimps, in which case it's better to tell her this in privacy (that said, you should probably discuss the matter with the other players beforehead anyway).

But you have to fucking confront her, like a normal human being. Maintain your composure, be polite and kind, tell her that you don't want her to leave and that it's not a person issue, that it's just disrupting the play and that it's something that needs to be solved.
And see where it goes. If she gets angry and unreasonable, ask her to leave until she calms down.

That is really the only proper solution to this issue. It's gonna be unpleasant, but it's by far the best solution in the long run.

As a frank person myself, this is retarded. Be frank if you can, ya, but ignoring that it actually could be awkward is just autistic. It depends on their relationship and their relationships with the others at the table. It's impossible to reduce a relationship down to any words that can let a reader on the Internet infer the conclusion, "It would be awkward." For themselves. You just have to trust them when they explicitly say it, because they know the indescribable nuances.

He did, dumbass.

assuming you're all sitting around a table together where the hell is she hiding her dice rolls? If you can't see her dice ask the guy sitting next to her what she rolled.

>OP learns how to deal with MunchkinThots
OP, you need to force her to roll her dice publically.
flubbing is against the rules.
try and talk to all your other players without her. have everyone pressure her into caving.
If she gets bitchy, force through it. "Welcome to RPGs, you're not the Mary Sue you catty Thot" it helps if the rest of the group is with you on this
Everyone needs to be held accountable, thats how tabletops work. the only person who can do private dicerolls is the GM
you don't have to rocks her character. you'll probably find she'll do that herself once her outright munchkinry fails and suddenly her arrows don't oneshot that charging magus with a shocking grasp spellstrike going straight for her torso

>Moreover, when I bring up the subject of flubbing her dice rolls, or ask that she roll them where everyone can clearly see them, she becomes angry and confrontational.
This is why I have a ground rule dictating that dice are rolled where everyone can see them. Maybe you could implement that for the group to fix the problem?

Average her damage. If she has about 50% chance of hitting and she does about 6-25 damage, mid damage and half of that. Ignore everything she tells she rolls.

Or go the other way - implement a rule where every roll is hidden. Say it's an experiment. When it becomes apparent to the players that it's not really working, change it so that all player rolls have to be in the open. Hopefully they'll see the error of their ways and not cheat, and making everyone hide their rolls and then everyone show their rolls might let them save some face by not feeling targeted or called out.

A player (intentionally) cheating is one of those instant kick conditions for me.

There's NO excuse for that. It doesn't matter whether she wants to roll openly or not it's obvious that her rolls are suspicious. If she's honestly rolling high fine it happens, but even then she's got no rights to deny confirmation. Everyone (except the DM if you want to hide your rolls) has to roll in a way that can be verified. That's one of those unwritten rules, if she doesn't roll openly she does not play.

If she's still rolling high in the open ask to check her dice or do it while she's going to the bathroom or something.

I haven't had to deal with that before as a GM. My players are usually in a constant state of not knowing what to roll or how to roll it. A cheater hasn't been an issue.

The other issue you're facing is that you've got what is in essence an inbred group. Not actually inbred, but you all live with each-other. You and your sister, plus multiple players living together under one roof. You've set yourself up in a position where kicking any one player out of your group is going to cause drama. Long story short, any "Suggestion" that you make is going to have to be a blanketing one if drama is the bullet you're trying to avoid. If it applies to one, it has to apply to all. Marking one person a cheater and chastising her in front of the group is embarrassing for them to the point that they'll get argumentative.

>Veeky Forums's answer: Kick them out anyway, anyone who doesn't like it, tough shit.
Veeky Forums mostly just likes a dramatic story, not a realistic one. They want you to throw punches and put someone through a window because it's more entertainment for their dull lives. Skip this.

>Dice Tower
Or dice bowl. Don't strip players from the culpability of their die rolls, simply make everyones' rolls clear to see. Something like a dice tower makes this a little more fun.
If you have to, you can even stage things a little bit to get someone else in the group to start cheating as well, and the set it up like they are the reason why you have to use a dice tower. This takes the blame off the real perpetrator.

>Disband the group
I hate to say it, but because you've got that inbred group, if you take one card out, the whole house falls. Wrap it up, say you lost the drive to run the game, throw in the towel. Keep your notes and start another gaming group down the road. Learn from the mistakes of the past to better yourself as a GM. D&D groups are way easier to get started than, say, a Rifts game. No need to cling to it for dear life.

What's the problem? If the GM gets to fudge rolls for better adventure experience, then so should the players. The dice are dumb and can't use reason and judgement like a person can.

it seems the offending player from the OP found the thread
or its bait.

It pisses me off that no one uses the end the game card. Either it's bad enough to ruin your fun, or its not. An unfun game is worse, every time, than no game at all.

You should probably invoke the curse of common expectation, which says that she will never miss but will always deal the same average damage, which is counted as, of course, common expectation of random variable. This will make her life considerably more boring and solve cheating problem entirely. If you can arrange it as in-game curse, then it's perfect.

Making a gaming group is much, much harder than most things people are used to doing, so letting go of the hard-fought group is a tough thing to do.

I can relate even more than the average joe as a Battletech player. Getting someone to play Battletech as a pickup game is challenge enough. Getting them to say yes to an RPG camapaign is a beast of another nature.

Other anons have mentioned mentioned confronting the player enough but I have another piece of advice for you OP.

What I would do in your position is talk to all of the other players in private.

Tell them about the offending player, ask for their opinions on their cheating and ask them whether they would object to you removing her from the group if she refuses to change.

This way you're assuring that everyone is filled in on your intentions when you do end up having to confront the player in question.

The glass may be half full or half empty. This depends on whether it was empty and had water added or full and had the water removed.

We had a player in our group that had a habit of rolling his d20 during other peoples' turns in combat until he landed on something he liked. When it would be his turn he'd just point to his dice and be like "I rolled that." After a couple games of this, DM brought in a couple pie tins and said "All rolls must be made in the tins to count."

Stopped that shit real fast. Unfortunately it didn't stop him from just fudging his math and adding bonuses he didn't have or using spells he shouldn't have had ready.

Some kind of tin works. Just say it's so they dice son't accidently roll off the tabel to give them a face save.
Maybe provide clear dice as well because if you stop a cheater cheating they just llok for new ways to cheat.

Force her to roll in the open, along with everyone else. She might get pissed, but all you're doing now is letting her take the reins of your campaign. Force them all to be transparent and fair with their rolls. Bringing her to heel will prove that it's your campaign, and the rest of them might respect you if you prove that you actually have a spine.

Trips bolster a good post.
Seriously, OP, grow some balls.
Or, if you're a chick, some beans.

Rape her

Calmly and rationally discuss with her (not in front of the rest of the group) that she is flagrantly flubbing her rolls and needs to stop, because it's affecting the rest of the party. Make it clear it's not something you'll tolerate, and if she keeps doing it, she's out, and you hold the game elsewhere to avoid her coming. Easy peasy.

Don't passive aggressive your way through killing her character, just talk to her face to face and keep it civil.

Usually in my groups everyone just rolls in the open just naturally, but I would say the best way to deal with it is either make it so her rolls don't matter and she just does a set amount of damage (still letting her roll and have the effect of her flubbing, but secretly doesn't do as much) although I would only do this if you're 100% sure that she's cheating; alternatively, you could just implement a house rule where everyone rolls into a container (like maybe a large tupperware container), so that the rolls are public. I see no way for her to argue with that considering it's not focused on her, and it's reasonable

This is some of the more solid advice in this thread. Definitely try this OP.

As many others have said, having a general tin where people roll is the easiest way to go.

Better yet, buy a proper dice tray. They cost somewhere around 20 bucks and are pretty large, so even in a bigger table it should be enough. And don't let her move it from front of you, of course.

>She flubs dice rolls. Moreover, when I bring up the subject of flubbing her dice rolls, or ask that she roll them where everyone can clearly see them, she becomes angry and confrontational.
Don't be passive-aggressive. Don't compromise. Tell her she can either roll fairly, out in the open, or you'll roll for her. If she doesn't like that, tell her she's not playing.

>Everyone at the table knows she is lying about her dice.
Then they should have no problem with you calling them out.

>She lives with the other people I play with. She's their roommate. So I can't realistically ask her not to play.
Sure you can. Is everybody else going to stop having a good time just because she's acting like a spoiled cunt? Are they all obligated to do as she says? Jesus, you're a group of adults. If she can't play by the rules, and your group can't handle playing without her, then you need to dump the group.

>She's driving off players. My own sister, Veeky Forums.
I'd replace your sister with her in a heartbeat. The moment she starts driving off anyone in your group, then you drive her out. I had a player who was invited by a friend for a game session or two. He became aggressive, made it very awkward for people, and I straight up told him to leave.

You're there to have fun, and have a good time, not babysit adults.

>I'm planning to kill her character.
Don't. This is the king of the passive-aggressive puss-out tactics. If you don't want her to play, fucking tell her. Don't dance around it with bullshit like this.

Just tell the bitch to fuck off.

"You were rude to my sister. Nobody is rude to my sister. Do not darken my door again."

Problem solved.

Tell her to stop being "Cuntfrontational", with emphasis on the "cunt" part.

>You were rude to my sister. Nobody is rude to my sister.
Really? Because she liked being told she was a dirty little slut last night.
t. OP's sister's boyfriend

>I'd replace your sister with her in a heartbeat.
Because you can't get laid with your sister?

Sex talk rudeness doesn't count as actual rudeness.

Are you saying I shouldn't call her that outside the bedroom?

>she
there's your problem.