Latest News

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

What's your favorite extra planar race/creature?

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Warlock,2
twitter.com/mikemearls/status/809153048182280192
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Warlock,2

Added Modern Magic UA, going to go through all the UAs chronologically adding the shit from them. Next project will be Gothic Heroes subclasses (Monster Hunter and Inquisitive), then The Faithful, then the fun of adding in all the recent UA stuff.

You forgot the /5eg/ title.

Probably demons, call me boring.

Question: im a 3rd College of Swords Bard. How good is it to dip into 3 levels of Rogue for Swashbuckler?

Dominance roll should neither delet

>tfw make new thread first
>tfw it's not an abortion, have title and link to previous one
>tfw people choose this one
life is suffering
is the true one

>thread wars
Kill yourself, seriously.

Best uncommon magic item for a Ranger starting at level 5?

I really enjoyed the in depth descriptions for the monsters in Volo's Guide. Are there any more books with this kind of stuff from previous editions?

One of my players has the backstory of being a young military officer who led his platoon to death by commanding them to help fight off an orc raid before their training was done. He left the military to redeem himself as a leader. Would it be wrong of me for him to find the Half-Orc son of one of his female soldiers? The Half-Orc rape baby thing always seems touchy. The son would want to avenge his mother too, so if that makes anything better as a backstory related plot hook maybe.

I just might

>thread wars

Naw, he's get legit claim. Plus this OP is garbage

Too bad he ripped it then

Trousers of Defenestration.

Just deleted it. Fuck this shit

lmao, rekt.

good man. have a (you)

As long as you don't spend too long on the specifics (i.e. describing the exact circumstances of conception in graphic detail), I think it'll be fine.

This is a thing to ask the player about. If they are OK with it, go for it. If not, then there you are.

Nobody should have any because fuck that shit.

Otherwise, might depend a lot on your aims. As a ranger, your main role is just to sit back and fire arrows if you're not a beastmaster, so simply a +1 weapon or such might work best.

eighteenth for KOBOLD DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY
and non-shit threads

>What's your favorite extra planar race/creature?

I like the genies, in particular, the Dao. I Wish more lore was written about all the genies in general but the Dao have so little of the four genie races.

What are you trying to do?

You're weakening yourself by delaying your spell progression, but maybe you don't care about that.

yeah, thats kinda what i was wondering. I should just stick with pure bard to not degenerate my spellcasting progression then?

Bariaurs were here; other planar races suck

I honestly wasn't going to go into detail but how else would half orc son be made?

Would a male soldier captured as a slave for hard labor that fell in love with a female orc that bought him be better? Dad killed by the Orc Chieftain because he got cucked by a human?

There's no good reason to multiclass bard before level 17 unless you have a very specific goal in mind. If you're just checking to see what works best, stay bard.

for purely martial classes, is it better to dip into other classes at earlier levels?

A reminder autistic morons have given the ok to ruin any chance of the mystic being good and not just another caster.

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/809153048182280192

Every martial class with Extra Attack is worth staying in until at least level 5. Delaying Extra Attack is bad. After level 5, it's fair game depending on what your first class gets. Try not to multiclass in such a way that you're getting Extra Attack from multiple sources, because it doesn't stack with itself.

Fighter is worth going to 11, and it's worth going to 20 if you know for certain the game will go that long. It has a bit of drought between 12 and 17.

Barbarian's cut off points are 5, 7, or 8. If you stay in Barbarian longer than that, you may as well stay Barbarian for the life of the character.

Monk generally wants more Monk levels. Shadow Monk has good synergy with Rogue and a 2 level dip into Warlock. It's hard to take advantage of Monk features in a multiclass because of ki limitations.

Rogue usually wants more Rogue levels because of Sneak Attack and it has pretty good features up to level 15 or 17 depending on the archetype.

What about Bracers of Archery? just a straight up +2 damage

Fuck the mystic.

I don't know, that sounds like a good idea.

We only have one true d6 class and I think it could mesh well to get an eldritch knight that actually feels like a magical (except psionic) knight.

As long as they don't fuck up like with the sorcerer. I don't think the 'This one's a gish, this one's a pure caster' combination worked for psionic archetypes.

>twitter.com/mikemearls/status/809153048182280192

You knew it was going to go that way regardless of what people said because Mearls is a lazy faggot. Jeremy Crawford is the only reason 5e actually works.

Depends.

If the ranger plans to have high value attacks (sharpshooter or heavy crossbow with hunter's mark on top of, say, revised ranger's +2 or +4 damage against certain targets) then +1 to hit is pretty important.

Otherwise, +2 damage could work, especially on a crossbow master using hand crossbows.

Also, the DM sounds like the sort of pussy who'll dish out +1 weapons like unemployment benefits to half-orcs.

>You knew it was going to go that way regardless of what people said because Mearls is a lazy faggot. Jeremy Crawford is the only reason 5e actually works.
Mearls is in favour of fun Crawford isn't.

>Mearls is in favour of fun
Crawford is too if you read beyond his rulings.

Doesn't change the fact that Mearls is a lazy virtue-signaling faggot who writes things that directly contradict what the book with his name on it says. Read the abortion that is the Kensei.

>Also, the DM sounds like the sort of pussy who'll dish out +1 weapons like unemployment benefits to half-orcs.
FUCKING

SAVAGE

Fuck your fun, Crawford at least understands the rules unlike Mearls because he fucking made them and rules are important for having fun without going overboard on the rules

You fool, the Immortal path is supposed to be the "eldritch knight" gish. They're stripping that out and making that part another Fighter archetype, which means it will be just as bad as EK currently is.

PWs were Med BAB, half progression casters with half Fighter feat progression. That is a gishy-ass gish.
Somehow they took EK, a 9/10 caster with High BAB and turned it into a 1/6th caster Fighter archetype.
You think Immortal/PW is going to get better treatment here? Fuck no, and fuck splitting the class.

Thankfully most of the twitter responses are "don't be stupid", but we know those are going to get drowned out by actual e-mails to the developers from people who don't even want to play Mystic. They just don't want OTHER people to have fun.

>twitter.com/mikemearls/status/809153048182280192
>Implying mystic v2 wasn't fun and balanced
Maybe it needed some more tight wording in some abilities (that command like discipline that can kill stuff with the right words) but the rest was fine and balanced. Immortal was a fun gish, yeah it had 1 strong attack, but still one attack only, now they're going to turn it into a worse version of EK that is basically a Fighter with two once per day meh powers and that's it.

Fuck wotc I wanted my low health 1 attack only combo happy psychic gish.

>he thinks this is Mearls' doing
Crawford makes him post this stuff so that he takes all the flak instead.

>Somehow they took EK, a 9/10 caster with High BAB and turned it into a 1/6th caster Fighter archetype.

But user, the 3.5 EK sucks dick. The 5e Eldritch Knight is actually useful.

Again, ask the fucking player. If you are going to be fucking with someone's backstory, you could at least have the decency to tell them about it.

Mearls is the idea guy though. Crawford is the one making stuff coherent. 5e is Mearls' vision filtered through Crawford's attention to detail and consistency. There would be a lot more 4e in 5e if Crawford was the ideas guy.

Nah mayne, I gotta ask you guys first then bring him whichever backstory fuckery you all approve.

To be honest Abjurant Champion was the real good Fighter/Wizard PrC (being Duskblade the Fighter/Wizard class), EK feels like a retard Abjurant Champion, you're basically going to pick Shield, Protect Elements and Blade Warding and probably nothing more (or if you play high as fuck levels also Haste and Flight). Well, also, thanks to SCAG, BB and GFB for levels before 11th

Just have him run into an orc chieftain with trophy skulls and trinkets that he remembers all too well or some shit like that.

You took EK as a regular Fighter and then spammed persistent spells to buff your AB and health up way above what they would be if you hadn't just dropped five levels into a caster or teleport around.

EK doesn't do a goddamn fucking thing except dodge X attacks per long rest.

Reminder that Paladins are allowed to be a separate class instead of shoehorned in as a more-fighty-Cleric or casty-Fighter archetype, but Mystic needs to be broken up.

Mystics are a totally unnecessary class given the arcane domains.
No one needs the two largest spell lists.

All the gishes they've ever made have honestly been failures, really.

EK is just 'spam shield'
Valor bard is actually probably the only good one, though it somewhat forsake's Bard's role and I'd still say lore is better. It's still good.
Bladesinger is 'hey, have some AC'. Are you a gish now?'
Bladelock is 'Have a martial weapon proficiency. Are you a gish now?'
War cleric is a bit of a fuck up at later levels, and especially the bonus actions clash with plenty of other things, but eh. It's not a massive failure.
Four elements monk is hilarious.
Original ranger? Also pretty funny, but the problem here isn't anything about its gishness.

Meanwhile, revised ranger and paladin are laughing their asses off at all the poor gish attempts. They, on the other hand, work.

So, yes, while it would be better on its own class, it was screwed either way if it was left to an archetype choice.

It was vaguely on the right lines I suppose, but yet it also seemed pretty monotonous to me since it seemed too much supportive of sticking to two or three traditions and spamming their abilities. Kind of like a less versatile caster with stronger spells. Kind of like what sorcerer was meant to be.
Yeah, why don't we just turn sorcerer into the mystic?

War Cleric is a fuck up because Wis-per-rest bonus action attacks is shit when you consider you may as well just have Spiritual Weapon out 24/7 and bonus attack with that.

Are they not optimized enough for your theorycraft?
>All of them are honestly failures
>lists ones that are not failures

The idea is that the only gishes that are good gishes are the ones that aren't bound to an archetype.

They're all very minor tweaks to a basic class, not a gish. Yet they would deny Immortals, itself a minor tweak to a full class, to stay within its class and instead condemn it to an archetype that satisfies no one but the faggots who don't want to play either a Mystic OR a Fighter.

Are attack rolls the only roll where you can't just automatically take the expected value?

It's not exactly the worst multiclass for a single level.

There is nothing you can do that on, not even health rolls as taking the 'average' health is actually above average.

There is absolutely no 'take 10' style rule. If you have to take 10, you shouldn't have to roll in the first place.

The nearest thing is 'passive skills' which are pretty much taking 10 but are only used for certain things or if the DM decides to and rogue/barbarian's abilities to take a certain value if they roll below it.

Thunder gives the same proficiencies, spells you don't already know, and a feature that's always useful (because, as a multiclasser, you may have other things to spend your bonus action on than another attack 1-2 times per day, like dual-wielding, PAM, shield bashing, whatever a [thief] rogue wants to do).

It's honestly a little silly that they went out of their way to stop one level dips in Fighter and Paladin from giving characters heavy armor, but here you are with multiple Cleric domains that do just that.

The Githyanki have always caught my fancy, I like their sort of Space-Pirate-in-Fantasy shtick, plus Vlaakith is a boss.
My true favourites are Cambions and other partial-fiends, however, largely because they have both mortal an immortal heritage that can make for some fun times.

>Space-Pirate-in-Fantasy shtick
If your fantasy doesn't have space pirates it's pretty obviously not fantasy. Middle Earth-styled settings were the outlier, not the norm, but you'd think otherwise the way people build shit now. It's sad.

War Cleric 1/Moon Druid X

Would grant bonus action attacks while wild shaped, right?

For a fighter, that bonus action you can use whenever GWM doesn't activate and then you can apply GWM to it.

For, say, a wizard wanting heavy armour, they can use it as a back-up for when they'd normally use cantrips instead.

That said, yes, storm is pretty good for that too.

What's especially silly about heavy armour is you might as well just start one level in those classes anyway, given they have 1d10 health values.
Barbarian, the only thing with more health, can't use heavy armour with its main feature.
I guess if you start rogue however you get an extra skill proficiency.

Yes, but why would you? You're delaying form progression.

The War Cleric doesn't have to spend his 2nd level slots on Spiritual Weapon as often, and he can use a stronger weapon than the d8 Spiritual Weapon. Are you using 4th level slots to make Spiritual Weapon better than a two-handed weapon or a longbow?

Well an extra attack is always good, but iirc multiattack doesn't actually count as taking the Attack action, right? Wouldn't trigger the bonus action attack from war cleric, rendering the whole thing moot.

Gith are my favorite, no question. Same reason as the other user as well; planar swashbuckling fantasy is the most fun you can have playing this game, full stop.

That's the thing though, I don't generally like space pirates in my fantasy. Normal pirates, sure, but flying airships? No thanks.
However, I feel the Githyanki pull it off, by virtue of being extraplanar and dwelling in a plane where gravity is subjective.

Some forms like Dire Wolf would benefit since they do not multiattack and have a good single attack.

But that is a valid point.

Anybody got some Spelljammer or Planescape resources?

What I generally do on take 10 skill checks is have the roll represent how long it takes to do said task. Where a 1 is a full 10 minute wait and a 20 is they do it with extreme uncanny speed.

but that is wrong guess what some people like psionic classes due to the whole over matter internal power thing.

(A) mace or (b) war hammer (if proficient)
(A) light armor or (b) chain mail (if proficient)

So can I get (a) without proficiency?

How would you feel about a skeletal lich BBEG with a large and imposing figure because his clothes fit like he's overweight, but if you were to lift them up, there'd be nothing under them but bones and air like usual? He was a larger gentleman in life, after all. I just don't want it to come across as especially jokey, or detract from the genuine threat he poses. He is a bit of a camp character, but he's a competent and menacing threat underneath his jovial demeanor.

If time is actually a relevant factor. Though if time isn't a relevant factor, they should just be succeeding.
And, for natural 1s:
>roll 1: There was an unforseen problem the character can/can't overcome with their modifier (a very high modifier may mean the character can bypass it with time). The task may take time, though it won't be possible at all if they cannot think of a solution if their modifier wasn't high enough.

Is he going to shop at Urushihara's House of Pauldrons?

How are you not proficient in a simple weapon with the cleric starting package?

I feel like bards have the potential to be far more powerful than any other class in this game, but it would really require a DM who was willing to think about the kind of subjective influence a bard could potentially wield.

I'm reminded of this short documentary featuring Alan Moore, where he briefly discusses what the difference between a wizard and a bard is, and he basically talks about how the influence of a wizard is quantifiable in some way because it's objective, like a curse or a plague or something like that, but bards wield a different kind of power which is more abstract and indirectly powerful.

Basically, bards wield the power of memes. They're incredibly powerful if played correctly, because they understand how all of our ideas and emotions, manifested through stories and songs, directly shape reality because they are what motivate us into activity.

Essentially, I think a really good bard would be conspiratorial, using their knowledge of lore as a weapon to weave very intricate lies and stories that warp people's beliefs and understanding of the world. They might act as the muse to powerful beings or party members, being the puppetmaster pulling the heartstings of gods and emperors through the technique of inception. Like the ultimate courtesan. I mean, a really wise and clever bard could work behind the scenes to create whatever world he wanted to live in by manipulating everyone around him through sheer charisma and force of personality.

I don't like crit fails on skills to be honest but that's just me.

He very well could own a set of ridiculously large pauldrons.

Yeah, I would rather do degrees if 1s/20s were to become more important on skillchecks. It means that the no int barb can do the engineer's job better than him just because of luck. An engineers 7 should be better than a barbarian's 17.

Fuck, why do we not just play Mutants and Masterminds?

Pauldrons make the man.

If you can walk through the average doorway without turning sideways, I don't need you in my party.

The way I suggested it made it so a crit fail isn't just 'You fucked up. Game over, go do something else' but instead 'You can still keep going, but you have to think of a solution to this problem to do so.'

Personally I hate the 'nat 1 does nothing' thing. It's completely against the older style of DnD where combats were dynamic - You don't just walk up and roll to hit and then they roll to hit and it's just hits or missed or possibly crits for extra damage. You fumble and the ming vase in the room gets hit. You crit and the enemy loses their arm.

I agree a bad DM can fuck it up big time if they're not careful about how they do it such as the fighter having four attacks and royally fucking up everything every time they roll a 1, but it's honestly very bland when DMs don't make things interesting. I've seen somebody fire an arrow right through the space of several cowering citizens and roll a nat 1, yet nothing happens. Heck, it doesn't have to be 'you headshot the civilian, they die' but perhaps 'the enemy's armour proves too tough and it deflects it into the civilian's leg behind him. Fortunately it lost some of its velocity.'

But, yeah, if you want to play a 4e style super-structured combat with no DM bullshit, you don't need it.

Those kinds of things are fun in theory but they need a huge list of "don't do this you power-tripping faggot" rules so DMs don't just use it as an excuse to make people miserable for playing martials with lots of attacks.

>a modern Hunting Rifle has a shorter effective range than a longbow (By a very wide margin)

???

Aside from the 'crit fail confirmation' roll, another idea is that the fighter must miss ALL their attacks as well as getting a 1.

But, if crit fails just drive everybody to play halfling, you're not doing it right. People don't play wild sorcerer because it's in any way good (though this doesn't help how many wild sorcerers you see) but because it's haphazard and Fun, by the very nature that Dwarf Fortress is Fun.

Losing is fun.

Criticals and critical fails should develop a situation in a 'you hit a barrel full of oil that spills out over the floor' way. It doesn't fuck over the character ('you hit yourself and deal 5 damage, lol'), but it develops the situation to say 'Oh, well, now there's unlit oil in the room pooling up you probably don't want to slip on. What do you want to do now?'

>Losing is fun.
No I voted for winning this year. :^)

You're right on the other points but those things should always be the realm of homebrew because there's too much room for abuse if they're in any way seen as mandatory rules.

Otherwise you have to spend a lot of page space telling trolls what not to do.

There's not really any way to abuse it aside from the ways you can already use to abuse nat 1s - halfling and lucky and all that. Which I guess is the problem. But lucky is honestly a bit cancerous and halfling... Well, halfling could always be 'If you roll 2, reroll and take the higher number

But, yeah. They haven't included any rules beyond 'it auto hits/ auto misses' because honestly those are supposed to be the DMs domain, whether they want to run a hardcore tactical battle where the PCs are superheroic and could never fail from heroism or if the DM wants to run a more haphazard and dynamic but awkwardly subjective fight where sometimes you could blame a character dying on the DM, not the player's decisions.

There's no true way to determine it, anyway. A crit fail should depend on the circumstances, which can vary very greatly.

Probably Xorn. They seemed kinda neat.

What is an appropriate punishment, if any, for a murderboning paladin? Assuming lawful good yadda yadda.

>tfw killed 3 level 1 PCs in 4 hours because my encounters are too difficult

Aren't clerics d8 hit-die?

What exactly has the paladin done?

Is WIS or DEX/STR more important for a UA Beast Ranger?

As of now I'm thinking this (after racials). Seem good?

Killed someone who surrendered to the group, even cooperated with them too. Session has ended before much else has happened, but considering where they are I imagine many more moments like that are to come.

You should honestly max out your combat stats as soon as possible, since you're probably not going to be casting that much.

Assuming you're doing 27 point buy with an elf or some shit, you should at least start with a 16 in DEX. Otherwise, max STR if you're gonna be melee. CON and WIS are next in line (CON if you're STR-focused, WIS if you're DEX focused), followed by whichever STR/DEX you didn't pick. INT and CHA are dumpstats.

Alignment is irrelevant in 5e, what Oath is he.

The fact he's a paladin shouldn't matter unless that conflicts with his oath.

That someone should probably have associates who want to avenge his death. Let him see it coming when someone starts investigating the death and putting pieces together.

Yeah I'm thinking melee Ranger since the Wolf seems to work best with that, so STR it is.

If the person who surrendered to the group could be judged as guilty and irredeemable, then no harm no foul. Mercy would have been better had there been a chance, however.

That said, I don't know what possible social ramifications could take place since I don't know what kind of person the victim was. If they were a bandit or other violent criminal who had a lifetime of crime, then I think it doesn't really matter.

Or go all-in with WIS and take magic initiate for shillelagh.

What race did you have in mind? Half-orc STR ranger is kinda fun.