Now that GW has severed ties with Fantasy Flight Games...

Now that GW has severed ties with Fantasy Flight Games, does anyone have any idea what their plans are for their licenses? I would love to see some expansions for Dungeon Quest and some of their other products but there is nothing much out there on the interwebs about this companies agenda.

Anyway, GW is quieter than a shrews fart when it comes to any sort of information and it brings me great nerd rage.

I digress. Please, also feel free to discuss in this thread what you would like to see from GW, they might just hear you..

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-miniatures-game/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hasbro 40K Little Pony

Warhammer 40k figures

We /toy/ soon stalkers

Warhammer 40k action figures!

They come unpainted and have less articulation than a dollar store ninja figure but they're collectables so we charge $100 plus tax!

>unpainted

This kills me if they ever release 1/6th or any type of figures would be a better investment imo if they made shit like this

>Action figures that cost over $100

Its like you guys want GW to fuck us

if they're super high quality with tons of accessories, implying we WOULDN'T pay out the nose for them.

You obviously dont collect figures if they arent bad id pay $150 and it better come with a whole space marine arsenal/helmets.

All they gotta do is have the Weapons/top quality and they can crank out atleast 20 each with different chapter colors

So you nerds complain about GW prices but would glady pay $150 for a fucking glorified action figure?

Fucking Veeky Forums or is it /toy/?

They are working on a new RPG inhouse but it's still in the (very) early stages. Don't expect anything before Q4 17 just so you know.

150$ for a statue,

vs +1500$ to play a wargame.

There is a difference between buying miniatures that was fucking tiny also the fact that you gotta

>Build/clean them
>paint them
>Base them

Overall buying a figure in the long run is kinda cheaper,cooler, and easier

So 40k RPGs are gonna have edition wars now?

Fuck

>1500$
Do you live on the UK Prison Islands?
Here it's more like 300-500 bucks for a good 2k army. Not much more (or cheaper) than a Modern/Standard legal MtG deck.

Also if you can't afford 50$/month for your Hobby you should have other priorities.

Based on these reasons alone GW knows that if they actually took the time to make an extremely good figure say goodbye to TT.

>1500$ to play a wargame
I know GW is expensive within the wargaming market but really? I mean, you can draw up reasonable lists for like half of that.

>Also if you can't afford 50$/month for your Hobby you should have other priorities.

The Poorfag argument comes out.

I have 400 a month for my hobbies. But why would I waste it on an overpriced game when I can get more value for my money elsewhere.

>Here it's more like 300-500 bucks for a good 2k army

Yep

>Not much more (or cheaper) than a Modern/Standard legal MtG deck

With the important caveat that the Modern deck is definitely more expensive and the Standard one rotates in around a year and has multiple list changes within that time.

This. I can literally afford to buy an entire new 40K army every month, but that wouldn't make it a desirable or sane use of my money. Being able to afford it doesn't suddenly make it great value.

Lets forget fucking table top

The fact that 40k figures will sell like hot cakes is known by GW doesnt do it

ILL EVEN TAKE STATUE SHIT

PLEASE

750 Bucks to play a game is massively out of whack with pretty much every other wargame out there.

Don't they have those already?
I used to work as a translator for some FFG stuff and still have contacts/friends there.
All they told me is that GW is doing it on their own this time. FFG is their new competitor and they won't stand being left in the dust.

Gonna be a grim awakening for FFG when Disney raises the price of the license in the coming years. Besides that they got nothing but their own dull Runewars franchise.

What does this grant GW access to that they didn't have before?

>an overpriced game
we talkin psychical product here? GW's pretty reasonably priced against their competition. If you don't enjoy or want to play their game fair enough, but don't make excuses.

It's not the card bullshit or $15 ships that keeps me from X-Wing, it's the fact that I think it's boring as shit when compared with other dogfighting/space combat games.

Except for the fact that people actually play 40k/AoS.
Try finding someone that plays your niche wargames in a moderate sized city.

Also despite GW's fears X-Wing is not really a competitor to Warhammer since it forgoes the modeling/painting aspect that is a huge part of the hobby.

>GW's pretty reasonably priced against their competition

In what way? Sure, 5 Dudes in Infinity and 5 Dudes in 40k are about the same unit price. But I only need those 5 dudes to play infinity, vs 40k where I have to grab a lot more.

I just feel like the alternatives and other games don't have the huge upfront cost to enjoy them that 40k does.

Yeah, but GW couldn't write a good tabletop under any circumstances.

>Try finding someone that plays your niche wargames in a moderate sized city.

Never had a problem with it. Tell people about new game, get them psyched, explain that full army costs 100~150 dollars, minimal investment cost for them, everyone gets it, no one plays 40k anymore.

My local FLGS doesn't bother to stock GW for a lot of reasons, but has a full wall of Ral Partha Battletech.

GW is so anal about that aspect too

I will cry tears if joy if GW ever release figures with accesories and posing

Actually the posing can be very basic I dont give a shit I need 40k figures in my life and not bullshit miniatures I dont even use

I dont get people who are into 40k but hate the miniature aspect of it fucking videogame and lorefags ruined this place.

>Also despite GW's fears X-Wing is not really a competitor to Warhammer
Oh it is. When i feel the need for some tabletop action I just get X wing out rather than letting boil over until I buy some mini's.

Because painting/building is not for alot of people? And unlike most I actually went out and got shit to paint and you know what?

I did not enjoy one bit of the entire process plus I tried the wargame one time I just couldnt get into it.

I mean yeah, in that respect. If you are talking about what people are playing, X-Wing is cheaper, and more easily accessible.

The games are definitely not the same, but if you are talking about how people spend their money for entertainment, yeah, Xwing is a competitor to 40k.

id prefer a star wars wargame with the storm troopers or clones.

There was this old ass one with cover mechanics and all that jazz it was great.

To bad it died.

>where I have to grab a lot more
You don't have to, though. Not anymore than you have to have an alternate list of 12-13~ new models for ITS, at least.

Using infinity as an example, an average 300-point tournament list on its own might cost around equivalent to a starting 500-750 point 40k list (depending on the army). Throw in a few more models and/or a TAG to fill out your second list and you're looking at 1k+ 40k prices.

Infinity can be played at the 150 level, or even lower with some fan formats I've seen. But 40k's also got small-scale games, both from GW proper and widespread fan shit (HoR, Inq28). This stuff is ultimately as expensive as you want to make it for yourself. And the models themselves are, for the most part, reasonably priced.

FFG is owned by Asmodee, which is owned by a conglomerate of European bankers. They can afford it, and anything with "Star Wars™" on it is still basically a license to print more money.

what alternate universe do you live in? and how do I get there?

Woah woah woah.

Are you honestly going to sit there and claim that a full featured tourney list in Infinity is = to a starter 40k army?

Or that having two full and modaable armies in infinity is the same as having one useable small army in 40k?

That's not equivalent, that is saying that 40k is twice the price of infinity to play, or worse!

It's ok, thanks to Brexit, GW is poised to be a gaming powerhouse in the near future.

Oh wait...

>that is saying that 40k is twice the price of infinity to play, or worse!
No it's not, because tournaments aren't the only way to fucking play any kind of game. Did you just skip over my post after reading the second set of sentences?

It's hard to read a full paragraph of GW redshirt shilling.

I can feel my brain melting from the stupid.

I read all your post. Basically it boils down to 40k is overpriced compared to a competitor.

GW is small fry user, Asmodee could probably buy them out if they wanted to and hadn't just spent millions buying up every profitable board game publisher around over the last few years.

>people actually play AoS

No one plays Age of Shitmar. The AOS general threads here are just circlejerks of redshirts.

The 40k general is kinda shitty too

I love 40k but the only place that is alright is the RPG general

The only general that I like is battletech. The first, and best.

>Actually using the warhammer 40k general

The 40k general is only needed for the OP and thats it the rest is shit and I too like 40k but everytime I go its just shitposting and arguments for no reason and throw in /pol/bait.

btg ain't exactly spotless, though it is a step ahead of most

Guys, I haven't been to Veeky Forums for awhile, could you brief me on what happened?

Got pic related for christmas and, while having a curiously useless and inaccessible rulebook, it's a quite good and fun system. Solid modular setup for expansions too, would make it a breeze to put out additional campaigns/material for.
>fuck you, consumer

;___;

No generals perfect

>Super high quality.
As if. You ever compare the Tau battlesuits to Gundam models?

GW would charge $100 for 5" Space Marines that come with two accessories, are missing half their paint apps, and all use the same buck.

Just like Mattel, come to think of it.

But user, FFG had to drop the license so they could make the Runewars miniature game absolutely no one will buy!

Seriously, who the fuck at FFG has such a boner for Terrinoth that they shove it into every fantasy game FFG makes?

but will it be Sqaue Enix bad?

Fantasy Flight Games is dropping their Games Workshop board, rpg, and card game license in the new year. Different rumors as to why abound, but it happened around the time they announced a 15mm fantasy miniatures game at Gen-Con.

Note that said miniatures game won't have a shred of community, as it's as expensive as Star Wars Armada, with unpainted minis, and without a shred of license appeal.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

40k ins't a flavor of the month game, at least where I live. Everything else that has been played at my store (xwing, infinity, bolt-action), has come and gone, but 40k endures.

>No it's not, because tournaments aren't the only way to fucking play any kind of game
>guys you doesn't need replayability

>But user, FFG had to drop the license so they could make the
If I remember corrrctly it was GW who force them to drop license (and main problem was in Star Wars)
>Runewars miniature game absolutely no one will buy
>FFG
>no one will buy

I agree that it probably won't be a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DISASTER like others claim, but it doesn't look like anything heading for success and lasting popularity either.

>but it doesn't look like anything heading for success and lasting popularity either.
Why? FFG very popular publisher, and their name means good rules and skeletons looks much better than overpriced GW.

Alessio Cavatore is writing an official MLP RPG...

A 15 mm Fantasy game is what FFG is planning? That actually sounds really cool. I'd be down for a more epic scale wargame rather then the shitty Heroic scale we always seem to play with at GW.

>A 15 mm Fantasy game is what FFG is planning?
No, for now they just making usual fantasy wargame with square bases.

>Their name means good rules.
For a given value of "good".

Personally, I'm sick of everything they make being pared to the bone for tournaments.

Also, they have a strong tendency to drop a line if it isn't an immediate hit. The state of the original Runewars boardgame (Which flopped because its Twilight Imperium 3 with a cap of 4 players) doesn't fill me with confidence.

The base set is at the printers and they don't have any expansions in the design pipeline yet. WTF.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-miniatures-game/

Correction. 25mm, sorry. Basically looks like X-wing movement applied to troops on bases.

And can I just say that I really wish WoW style fantasy would die a horrible death? I miss when fantasy characters wore armor that actually existed in real life.

Are these prepainted/assembled or?

unpainted sculpted

It kinda killed me

>Personally, I'm sick of everything they make being pared to the bone for tournaments.
Wut?
>Also, they have a strong tendency to drop a line if it isn't an immediate hit.
If you mean their previus wargames like Confrontation and Dust Tactics they were only publishers, Runewars their own wargame.

Look, this group of tanks cost 20 dollars. For pewter tanks. 20 Bucks. 15 mm glory.

But if I want 1 tank in 40k, Pay out the ass 70~100 dollars. Fucking Bullshit.

>In what way? Sure, 5 Dudes in Infinity and 5 Dudes in 40k are about the same unit price. But I only need those 5 dudes to play infinity, vs 40k where I have to grab a lot more.
40k minis are generally cheaper on a per soldier scale. But only come in groups of 5 or 10.

That's just a difference in style not a con. To someone that plays 40k having 50 minis on the table isn't something i have to do its something i want to do. If the only option was infinity I'd still be buying 50 minis and trying to talk people into playing huge games. Having such a large force is a source of enjoyment not a cost.

No we get that, it's just as a game 40k is average at best. Most of what it has going for it is the hobby aspect, if you're skipping that why not play a better game as well?

No, if you were playing Infinity, you'd be buying 5~10, and everyone else was buying 5~10.

In your argument, you state you'd need to buy 50 to play Infinity. That's like arguing you need to buy 5 ARmies to play 40k.

They are not the same.

40k is massively overpriced.

Well no, the 40k army has significantly more minis in it.
You're paying more to get more, that's completely reasonable.

No one forced the license to get dropped, the contract just expired and one or both parties didn't want to resign.

If you try and pay attention to X-wing or any of their cardgames, almost all online discussion is about the tournament meta, to the point that X-wings don't actually see use in the game named after them because they're a point and a half too expensive. The timing portion of the official X-wing rulebook has reached the point of MtG absurdity.
Netrunner as well has tons of cards that never see use because the player economy is so absurdly tight.

Other games of theirs also have this feeling like they were specifically designed to fit into BGG's idea of a "boardgame night" with rigid playtimes. For instance, Descent and Arkham Horror are both set up so you have to play to the objective at all times, as exploring the board will cause you to run out of turns.

The fact that the tanks are different scales, detail levels and materials with a difference in options and extra parts is irrelevant?

Well, the Metal tanks have MORE detail, and I get more of them, for 1/4 the cost of a 40k tank.

Hell, a 1/32 scale tank model is cheaper then a 40k tank, which is the same scale. Not to mention the model has more detail as well.

No thats not my argument at all. My argument is that I WANT 50 minis, and to play with them all at once.
40k isn't over priced, its just focused on a different conflict scale for gamers with different tastes.
More expensive yes, but i get more for that extra cost so it's no less reasonably priced.

If GW does do the RPGs inhouse, what is the chance of the rules actually being good?

40k is overpriced.

If you want tons of minis with a massive scale of conflict, there are much better options out there.

Even Epic would make more sense.

What 40k did, is take RPG scale minis and try to make a platoon game into a Battallion sized one. Which is stupid.

Starting from scratch? Probably good, GWs recent track record with mechanics is good.
40ks problems stem from carrying on old rules bloat for nearly 20 years now and not updating points costs across the board each edition.

>If you want tons of minis with a massive scale of conflict, there are much better options out there.
Not in 28mm scale.
Smaller scales aren't as good because you lose out on modeling and painting detail

>What 40k did, is take RPG scale minis and try to make a platoon game into a Battallion sized one. Which is awesome
Fixed that for you, it's one of the major appeals of 40k and why its still widely enjoyed.

Hey guys, i actually play Infinity.

90 Euros gets you a solid 300 point force, around 14~16 models. It's a tactical squad level game. It's not about mass formation movement, but squad level tactics.

The cheapest box I could find from GW was 65 Euros for 12 Figures (Start collecting Warhammer)

But the problem to me is that, while yes, the GW box is probably about the same as the Infinity box, the Infinity box is the full army.

Now Infinity has always priced its figures a bit higher due to materials and economies of scale vis-a-vis other 28 mm games, but the total cost to play, and that means a complete army (not a starter kit) is 90+20 Euros, 90 for figures, 20 for book, 110 total.

I can own multiple armies, for less then the cost of a single 40k army.

That's why I think 40k is over priced as well. What is the cost of fielding a standard 2000 pt army in 40k?

>I used to work as a translator for some FFG stuff
Is it your fault Anima's translation was dogshit?

WFRP 1e wasn't bad.

The WEG one?

>Fixed that for you, it's one of the major appeals of 40k and why its still widely enjoyed.

No, it's the reason that 40k battles look like a parking lot, the game is overpriced, and GW is dying.

If you want 28mm scale games, you should be playing Infinity, or DnD, or really any squad tactics game.

You don't even need the book, all the rules are free.

>No, it's the reason that 40k battles look like a parking lot, the game is overpriced, and GW is dying.

Oh shit, a poster from 2014. WARN THE WORLD ABOUT TRUMP, PEOPLE HAVE TO KNOW!

I was trying to make it more believable, no 40k player could believe you could get a full tourney ready force for only 90 euros.

Seems unrealistic.

Also, new player probably want the rulebook in addition to the miniatures.

>Claiming GW isn't dying

Does anyone even play Age of Shitmar?

Cheaper in Canada, 300 pt army is about 100 bucks or so, whereas the 40k starter pack of a few marines and a dread is 140.

>I can own multiple armies, for less then the cost of a single 40k army.
>That's why I think 40k is over priced as well

you're not just buying armies.
that 40k army will have more minis in it than the combined. More expensive isn't the same as overpriced.
Paying more to get more is reasonable pricing.

By that logic you should invest all your money in 15 mm Napoleonics or something.

if that's what i want sure.

40k is overpriced.

>Fantasy
>relevant

Oh hey, I was wrong: he's from 2007! SHORT EVERYTHING ON THE MARKET. EVERYTHING.

Tamiya kits in a similar scale are cheaper than GW.

Most 40k tanks have less detail, cost more, and have less parts then your average military model in the same scale.

The fact that those 15mm tanks have more detail then a 1/54 model Rhino or other 40k tank is just another sign of GWs shit quality.

>Does anyone even play Age of Shitmar?
STILL sells like fucking hot cupcakes in my FLGS.

And I fucking hate AoS.