So, what are some good shows, books, and so on if I want inspiration for a modern fantasy/horror campaign?

So, what are some good shows, books, and so on if I want inspiration for a modern fantasy/horror campaign?

So far, I have:

>Hellblazer (comics)
>Much of Grant Morrison's work (comics)
>Illuminatus!
>Supernatural (TV)
>True Detective (TV)

Sons of Anarchy
>Switch out Nords for Scandinavian soul-snatches
>Mexi-gangs become Azteca possessed killers
>The begins to actually protect the town from demonic incursion
>Suffer the negative consequences of killing people despite saving their lives.

I once found this great comic called Nameless. It has a great occult feel and successfully makes itself unique compared to Lovecraft and other horror writers. Also the only sci-fi that can be found is a moon base and drones with tvs on them

Neverwhere.
THB by Paul Pope.
Frank Miller's Ronin.

TWIN PEAKS MOTHERFUCKER

Huh. Hadn't thought of that.
I'll be sure to read it.
Holy shit, how did I forget Twin Peaks?

I just love SoA, want to run a game set around an MC, or join one. But with ideas like that depending on popular consensus.

As a warning, Nameless does go a little bit overboard with gore

Stranger things was pretty great.

Supernatural is straight up a two-player game.
>driving all around country
>podunk little towns with weird secrets
>monsters
>love interests that don't survive the session they debut in
>fucking up ancient prophecies

It also escalates like DBZ and that is a near necessity for a tabletop

I can't wait to see what they have in store. How do you top "existence itself" as the stakes?

Multiverse?

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and The Last Illusion by Clive Barker.

The Dresden Files is perhaps the best modern example of weaving in traditional fantasy elements (especially fae) into a modern-day setting. Urban faeries, vampires with guns, etc.
You'd think Butcher played WoD a lot or something.

So is Castiel a new player or a DMPC?

>god is just the god of this universe
>he chose Sam and Dean to be the new gods
I would laugh for days if it turned out that, just like Steel Ball Run, Supernatural's cosmology isn't Deist dualism, it's fucking Mormonism.

>You'd think Butcher played WoD a lot or something.
Don't know about that, but he loves him some Orks.
Castiel is an occasional player. He teaches in real life - during the summer he can be there more often, but usually it's sporadic.

>You'd think Butcher played WoD a lot or something.
I thought that had been confirmed. Or is at least widely thought.

Ya gotta include Hellboy.

Did I miss something? Do we not get (you)s anymore?

Dean's girlfriend was brought along and she demanded to be an angel. The beta DM had no choice to comply and the girlfriend tries to weave gay interactions between the characters

Fuck, forgot that.
Yeah, they're gone. You have to do something with your browser to bring them back.

Man, there are a lot of questions I want answered about Butcher's life.

He's super private about his religious beliefs, but there's absolutely no way he wasn't a Christian at some point. Guy knows way too much about Christian philosophy to not have been in it. It even bleeds into Dresden himself. There's that part where he's narrating about the temptation to rely on Lasciel's coin more, and I'm like "fuck, give this guy a pulpit".
only dotted underlines

What do you have to do?

>but there's absolutely no way he wasn't a Christian at some point. Guy knows way too much about Christian philosophy to not have been in it.
Well, as he was born and raised in America there's a more than fair chance he was. There's also loads of analysis of Christianity to draw from.

>True Detective

This is a good idea, actually. I'd also suggest looking at other forensics-based shows if you're going that route, though I admit it'd be difficult considering the medium.

If you're interested, I'd recommend picking up a book called Adam by Ted Dekker. It's a bit heavy on the religious themes (Dekker is a devout Christian) but I can't think of another book that combines the best parts of a crime thriller and supernatural horror so well.

As much as I love that show, it should have ended after the Apocalypse.

I don't recall, I've been traveling the past week so I've only been on Veeky Forums on my phone. I know it entails entering a script(I'm probably using the wrong word) somewhere.

I would highly recomend the Fault Lines series by Tim Powers, could be a bit to esoteric unless you are doing something similar to Unknown Armies avatar stuff but is awesome all the same
Kraken by China Mieville is also a good normal guy gets thrown into occult underworld thing and has some good ideas for most kinds of modern urban fanatasy/horror stuff.

V/H/S film series is set up as a weird horror shared universe. Sort of uneven quality, but has some gems.

The Zero comic has some of the same vibes as Nameless if you dig that style.

American Horror Story S2 is the best of that show I'very seen.