How do you feel about campaigns whose climax requires a heroic sacrifice from one of the players?

How do you feel about campaigns whose climax requires a heroic sacrifice from one of the players?

I think it's fine as long as you don't try to force a particular player into the role, and have a nonstandard game over prepared in case no one wants to take the hit.

Being prepared to accept creative third options that don't result in anyone dying is a must, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oXczqBVboIo&ab_channel=Xisorz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Being prepared to accept creative third options that don't result in anyone dying is a must, too.

This is key.

That the standard solution requires a heroic sacrifice? Fine. Railroading people out of any potential method of getting around it? Bullshit.

It'd honestly be an interesting thing to start a campaign with. Having it known, whether through prophecy or some other means, that the life of a hero must be spent to secure absolute victory. It'd create an interesting dynamic amongst the party, fighting against evil yet knowing that winning will ultimately cost the life of at least one of their friends.

Jojo is such a shit series.

What did the russians even have that could kill him at that point?

Don't be a fag, jojofag. You're really trying hard to be the next bronies, aren't you?

Dude I understand that you don't like the series but this attitude is really bad

Are you the same autist who screams "JOJOSPAM" anytime someone uses an image macro you don't like? If you're so easily triggered by people using images from popular things, you should probably stay off the internet in general.

All your autistic rage does is make me want to start a thread with a Jojo image myself.

Gonna just point out that you are fucking retarded, because jojo meme's predated most people even on this site by 10 or so years.

>the next bronies

Dude, jojofags have been around since before 2000. Ever since dio brando first spewed "ZA WARUDO" back in the 1993-1994 ova series, this shit has been around. Its not a new thing, by any stretch.

Gotta be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums kid.

Jojo went into decline to the point of obscurity, and then the new anime came out and brought with it a group of faggots spamming every board, with even /a/ saying "Holy fuck, these retards are too much."

So, don't act like this is some grand legacy, when it's just a recent fad hoping to fluff itself up by saying "remember WRYYY?! Ha ha, amazing, so clever."

Imagine that, fads are a thing. So people are spewing stupid lines. It could be worse, it could be the 80's.

Jojo was hardly in decline, everyone knows it.

>jojofag being this delusional

Oh, oh god. You're that bad, are you? I'm sorry, I didn't realize there's no hope for you.

Like i said, gotta be over 18 to post. There is a span of maybe a few years where the meme's died down. The reason they came back so hard is because the new series is, imagine that, actually good. Comparatively to the old one anyways.

Its cult fanbase just came back for what they should have gotten to start.

That's not even a good picture on the subject, but I'll play along.
If I were to do something like that, I would make the situation obvious and allow anyone to bite the bullet on the matter or come up with a counterplan.
In fact, I have an assassination attempt prepared as the scene right before the final battle- The assassin in question has learned a weeb-level guaranteed killing blow that can only be stopped by someone willing to take the hit in the target's place.
Good news is that the assassin can't do it repeatedly because it takes so much effort, but it's sure to come as a shocker given who the man is.

>actually good

You need to be over 18 to post here.

>Comparatively to the old one anyways.

That's not saying very much at all.

And, no, it's just lame kids who think fanatically attaching themselves to a series makes up for their own lack of a personality. While Jojo is bad, it's by far not the worst thing in the world, but its handful of rabid fans are some of the dumbest shitposters on this site.

Okay, explain how part 1 and 2 are any worse than any other anime out there.

Getting back on subject, I like heroic sacrifices, but it's not a good idea to force it on your players. Just make it so the opportunity is there, but make sure there's another way if they're clever enough.

My god, how the fuck is someone this obsessed with a show they apparently hate? It's fucking pathetic.

Now that the anti-jojo autist is gone because burden of proof was called, i'll get back on topic.

A heroic sacrifice is always a neat thought, but it can't be forced. If its arbitrary, it risks pissing off whoever was put in the firing line. There needs to be a semblance of choice, or it will only incur wrath.

At the same time though, if they can come up with some way besides the way in which you told them to deal with the situation, you should totally let them try. The sacrifice is always on the table, but other options only get so many chances.

A good way to do this is to put a character the party has received well into the firing line. one they've built some manner of a connection too, that they'd at least consider the sacrifice on their own. However, do NOT try to force this character on them, or they will be regarded as a mary sue and discarded.

Bring a slew of characters up, make sure they have their chance in the limelight, then let them go back to their regular lives. keep note of any the party reacts particularly positively too, and write down how the character itself acted. if plausible, bring them up every now and again to keep the party invested.

If you did it right, the party will dive into the firing line without you saying anything. As an example, in my campaign i had a pair of twin sisters. One of them was timid, and had the ability to summon darkness. Most of the party latched onto her near immediately. When later on she was being accosted by a somewhat newer party member, the parties resident big burly badass made it very clear that it wasn't a good idea to do that, through wrenching the assaulters arm away. without even a word from me, the party had turned on eachother on the drop of a hat due to this one girl that hadn't actually done anything besides expo dump.

>Jojo went into decline to the point of obscurity
Perhaps in the west, but definitely not in Nip land

This. Unless of course the game actually starts with the premise "you're all gonna die/fail".

Is the jojospam guy the barneyfag of Veeky Forums?

look, jojo is so popular and good even other animes and mangas make homages to it, this is from Shokugeki no Soma
youtube.com/watch?v=oXczqBVboIo&ab_channel=Xisorz

Responding is what he wants fampai

>burden of proof on an opinion

Stop being a retard.

No, burden of proof that he understands what the fuck he's even talking about. He's free to have an opinion, but if he can't even remotely back it up, he has no place being that much of a rage-spammer.

If you want to have a discussion about how shit the jojo series is, just go to /a/.

If you're pretending to not know any of the complaints against the series, you're just asking to extend a pointless argument. If you legitimately don't recognize any of the flaws in a series that hopes to excuse how stupid it is by claiming it's stupid on purpose, than you're one hell of a dumbfuck.

Someone chose to not to rise to your dumb bait. Don't mistake that for anything else.

And, that's enough baiting from you, you dumb jojofag.

I know you are just pretending to be retarded, but if you'd left out that last couple sentence's, it woulda actually worked.

Give your players ascension perks for their next character(s) if they die in a productive way.

If Jojo was in decline then how do you explain it having 8 part already?

Fuck, the first four parts have gotten animes and it's expected that we'll see Part 5's adaptation sometime next year.

Maybe have their next character be a descendant of the one that took the hit? A proud linage, you might say.