What are some good official settings for D&D 5e...

What are some good official settings for D&D 5e? I want to give my players something with an interesting cosmology and some opportunities for adventure, political intrigue and business.

Other urls found in this thread:

fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eberron. All other suggestions are secondary to this.

Is a retarded idiot obsessed with having gigantic, dog penises in his mouth. He gets offended when you call him gay--thats called "yiffing," shitlord.

I like the Sundered Empire/God War setting that was published with the 2002 version of Chainmail that WOTC briefly did(it's technically part of Greyhawk but is somewhat separated from the standard portion of that one)

There is 1 official setting for 5e. It's FR, and it is the best one anyhow. You win.

Depends on what you mean by "official" settings.

Do you mean settings that were officially produced for D&D? There's quite a few of those; Birthright is probably the first one to pop to mind for really political intrigue-focused campaigning.

Do you mean officially supported for 5e? In that, you're shit out of luck: other than basic notes in the appendixes for some of the more popular old-school settings (Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Planescape, Dragonlance, Eberron), the only setting with any modern books is Forgotten Realms. Unless the mysterious "Labyrinth" turns out to be a 5e writeup of Sigil.

Make your own

is there any official DnD setting with an emphasis on islands and oceans?

How hard is it to adapt old official D&D settings to 5e? And have you ever combined aspects of different settings? I really like the bloodlines idea in Birthright, but I'm partial to the Planescape cosmology.

That's what we've been doing for the past couple of years, but I want to see what its like playing around in an established world. I like making my own settings and all, but I want to try something that has been professionally made for once.

Every major setting has some islands and oceans (except Dark Sun if memory serves) in some form or another. I would use a modified Mystara though and run the characters out of Ierendi and the Sea of Dread if you want a crazy high-seas adventure.

Is there an official DnD setting that provides for the strange and unknowable. Pic related

Spelljammer.

Oh wait, 5e? Sorry, there aren't any.
Go play Spelljammer. Or Dark Sun.

FR is actually bottom of the barrel cookie cutter dog shit, ignore this user.

Planescape cosmology is technically ALL D&D cosmology; nearly all D&D settings exist in the multiverse and as different worlds on the Prime Material Plane.

Depends on which supplements you read and when they were written, and especially weather you think memes on Veeky Forums represent reality, and most importantly what you are trying to do with your game.
I'm not saying FR is even remotely perfect, but I actually gamed BEFORE 3e and the goddamn internet and had to formulate opinions first hand and without relying on internet info first.

Meh

D&D is a setting of quantifiable elements. Spells do what you want them to, monsters have reliable stats. Strange yes, but unknowable?

This is the game with Identify to turn items into character numbers, Detect to determine where the monsters are and if you should smite them, etc etc.

Hmm... I suppose technically the Savage Coast, or whatever it was called, from Red Steel, but even then it was more about being on the main coastline than on actually sailing around plundering and pillaging. I think only Golarion's got any campaign books that really focus on anything like that.

Eh, so-so when it comes to difficulty. Fluff is easy; you literally just say "I'm using this", for the most part. Some tweaks can be called for, either opportunistically or as a result of mechanics, but for the most part, fluff is plug and play.

As for combining aspects, sure. Taking what you like from different settings is a time-honored way of building your own setting. Keep in mind that this'll mean more work on your end; Planescape's focus on extraplanar adventures is, on the surface, quite at odds with the tight, kingdom-focused approach of Birthright, but the bloodline mechanics can easily be worked into the party playing as Proxies (by one method or another) for the various Powers - if not up and coming Powers themselves.

Planescape fag please go, you have a containment thread right here:

Ravenloft, hands down for me at least. You have the basics of it with the Curse of Strahd adventure, all you have to do is read up on some of the other domains. You can find a bunch of stuff here:

fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Main_Page

Though only go Ravenloft if you're craving a more horror type setting where the players feel terror and fear at every turn (unless you're a god damn paladin)

I think, more than the setting itself, what really matters is how you handle it.

Say, imagine a game set in Eltabbar - Thay and other set in Baldur's Gate - Sword Coast, both games belong in the same setting, but the focus is way different in each one, Thay is an oppresive and ruthless land, while Baldur's Gate, despite being corrupt and full of scheming nobles is actually brighter than games set in Faerûn's far east. Also, consider the most prominent religions closely and you'll find the difference in cults will heavily influence the tone of the games.

Planescape is really the best setting there is for traditional DnD in my opinion. I'm not the sperglord who posts those threads, but I really can't go back to other settings these days. The stories that it creates are infinitely more interesting than the standard dnd adventure, as long as your dm doesn't draw all their knowledge/inspiration from Torment - which was a great game, but only covered a tiny portion of the setting.

>Every major setting has some islands and oceans (except Dark Sun if memory serves) in some form or another.

Dark Sun has the Silt Sea.

Only the one you make for yourself, or adaptations from the OSR. Most D&D settings are training wheels for people who MUST know how many hitpoints God has.

So far the only officially supported settings for 5e are Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft, but they encourage people to play old ones and sell the old setting sourcebooks on drivethrurpg.

Next year I suspect they'll come out with another setting sourcebook; maybe the year after.

>Unless the mysterious "Labyrinth" turns out to be a 5e writeup of Sigil.
It's the campaign module designed by Pendleton Ward.
That said, I think it could be a safe bet that he'd pull Sigil into it. A big infinitely weird city seems like something he'd really, really like.

Mystara all the way, everyday.

I'm sorry, are you saying all of Eberron, the gritty magitech setting is furry because it has shifters? It's a 3.5 setting, not a Pathfinder setting.

Allanisa is pretty much the best setting.

Eberron has an Unearthed Arcana for 5e and some really cool magitech.

My vote? Look up Plane Shift: Zendikar. Zendikar from Magic: The Gathering is basically MADE for TTRPG adventures.

Planeshift Zendikar has rules for the Zendikar races (including Zendikar goblins, Kor, vampires, etc), handy conversions for Zendikar monsters, and generally just is interesting.

Import elements from Rise of the Eldrazi for a cosmic horror and/or Kaiju adventure, or even bring in villains like the Phyrexians.