Can an antagonist that is in it for the lulz actually work? Pic related

Can an antagonist that is in it for the lulz actually work? Pic related.

The Joker. That is all.

Yeah, OP can be forgiven for not realizing it, since the recent movies have sucked all the humor out of the guy and replaced it with edgy, but the Joker really does treat it all as a big laugh.

It can work. But if you're going to do this and this antagonist is going to be a major point, you need a little more. Generally speaking, people like that don't succeed without patronage or a major failure of the system.

Maybe like loki.

>Playing pranks.
>Prank goes too far, someone dies
>Was just a prank bro
>Your son executed, so you can be bound up in his intestines for ages
>Fuck it, I'm going to end the universe because all of you are dicks

Exactly. As an example, even Wyald from OP´s pic only came to action after the king requested it of him.

Of course.

Just remember that their own amusement is the key thing in their lives. "Tragedy is when I stub my toe; comedy is when you fall into an open manhole and die". They won't stick their dick into a hornet's nest no matter how funny it would be in the abstract.

Slaughterhouse 9

How you do pronounce his name?

WEE-ald? wee-ALD? VAI-ulhd? I never knew

Joker doesn't work very well when he doesn't have Batman to play off of.

I go with Option 3, mostly because it sounds like "wild", which fits him.

Like WAI-ald, since that's how his name is pronounced according to the moon-runes.

Most actual evil people do shit for the lulz or for the evulz, both being "because", evil is inherent and biological, unexplained, unfundamented. You are basically thinking of a realistic/real villain. That's all.

Huh, that's not bad actually

>Generally speaking, people like that don't succeed without patronage or a major failure of the system.
I wouldn't really say that, but you do need to answer the questions, "How have they not been stopped yet?" and "If they need followers to carry out their aims, how do they recruit and maintain them?"

>Realistic villains are just evil and don't have any actual motivations.
What am I reading

That's naive and false. Only insane people and school bullies fit your description.

This is only true of those society considers mentally ill. A man who goes out and murder then rapes a child for no reason other than because they feel like it is one type of evil.

However, the corporate boss who fires all of his workers and packs his business off to somewhere he can pay workers less and worry less about their overheads have more than just pure evil as their motivation.

Unrestrained self interest is probably the closest a proper, substanial villain can get to having it just 'be for the lolz', psychopaths tend to be better for lieutenants or minor villains. And even then a lot of crazy people in fiction have a few interesting quirks to their insanity to make it interesting.

gotta agree with this user, most real-world villains are psychopaths, and "for the lulz" is about as close as we can come to understanding their motivations.

source?

>he doesn't know about Berserk
Holy shit, why haven't you killed yourself yet?

Insane people don't harm others for shits and giggles. The most you might get is a psychopathic sadist who gets their kicks hurting people, but even then they're doing it to satisfy some base desire, like indulging a power-fantasy. It's never as simple as "for the lulz".

Meanwhile, most other insane people only hurt others because their view of the world is fundamentally askew compared to "normal" people - they believe that there are worms in the walls, or that the whispers they hear are people talking behind their backs. Sincere beliefs about unreal things, that lead them to believe that violence is a reasonable course of action, and that certain innocent people are the right targets.

Meanwhile, school bullies bully for a variety of reasons, such as trying to exorcise their personal insecurities, or trying to fit in with a group. Again, it's never as simple as "for the lulz", and arguing otherwise is just ignorance.

>caring about edgy seinenshit

Step it up.

If I read Berserk, Fist of the North Star, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all on one day, how much testosterone would I get?

Many people do things that would generally be considered "evil" just because they feel like it, and such a thing is perfectly realistic to portray. The idea that villains need some complex motivation or even that "evil" acts need to be practical or for objective material gain, usually accompanied with "M-MUH NOT A DISNEY VILLAIN" is a very teenager-esque attempt at being deep.

The question of whether this realistic antagonist is also an interesting antagonist is up to the creator.

Here's your (You)

It would be a viable replacement for your sex change operation into a man.

What chapter?

Non because comics are for children no matter the country.

Here's the (You) you wanted.

Jack likes to play the cheerful psycho card, but he's really just in it for pure sadism. His whole motivation is literally "be the worst monster possible".

The motives for the rest of the nine vary, but most of them have even less of a veneer of civility than Jack does. The lulz have no power here.

Doing things for some base desire is exactly the same as doing things for the lulz, you just felt like doing it.

I came here to post exactly this.
Keep up the good work, user.

So the lesson here is to have a villain that fits your heroes?

>says the user shitposting on a Burmese wood engraving forum
(You) (You) (You)

Here's some extras.

Original user from that argument here. What about the, you know, high beings in this world who quite literally hog all the wealth and resourced from this world for the fuck of it and ensure as well as organize events to ensure suffering? Do those have a "motivation"? Which, then? Are them all mentally ill and have been since their starts through royalty and earlier? How that goes, hm?

The Joker is fucking shit.

Any kind of antagonist can work as long as they do their job, which is to oppose the protagonist effectively.

are they human? if they are some kind of god or devil then they might have some drive to do evil, especially if they are compelled to act out a role or conform to beliefs or something.

Does Robbie Rotten count?