Settings you want to run but can never find players for

>The Order of St. George: A group of knights hunt "dragons" to protect villages, win favors, etc. The dragons are actually dinosaurs.

>Prohibition-era XCOM in which aliens have gotten involved in the bootlegging industry, and the PCs have to figure out what their game is and stop them.

>The Oregon Trail. It's the Oregon Trail. In Deadlands.

I'm excited to run these, players seem to like the ideas, but when it comes to scheduling a real session no one ever seems interested enough to actually show up. I don't know why.

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Golem Knight Quest
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The Order of St. George: A group of knights hunt "dragons" to protect villages, win favors, etc. The dragons are actually dinosaurs.
Sounds uninteresting. The main enemy is just some animal who can't employ any complex tactics at all? I'll pass. It mgiht work as a novel or something but not a game.

>Prohibition-era XCOM in which aliens have gotten involved in the bootlegging industry, and the PCs have to figure out what their game is and stop them.
Sounds unnecessaarily silly. I'd rather play a straight up XCOM RPG first than this.

>The Oregon Trail. It's the Oregon Trail. In Deadlands.
Now this is interesting, would play.

>PCs are mecha pilots in the middle ages. The mechas are alchemical golems. They are the only way to fight fantasy creatures like giants and dragons. They also war machines for the big nations.

>PCs are normal footsoldiers in vietnam and end up releasing some ancient evil from a temple. Survival focus.

>thread about settings you want to run but can't find players for

>posts a bigass /pol/ blogpost about a fake friend with a fake campaign he dislikes
>nothing that even remotely connects to OP's post

Fuck off and go fucking kill yourself.

all 3 of those sound legit. I fucking hate dnd but the concepts are cool.

I've had a few games I'd like to run. Not only original campaign stuff, but really just systems that I've bought and then never have time or interested friends for, like the last Star Wars system or even free shit I find on Veeky Forums like a Paper Mario RPG sort of setting just to mix things up. My usual players don't get to play often enough, so when they do have time they always insist on the most classical DnD experience possible since they all saw Stranger Things last week or something.

However, I do have one idea I'd like to flesh out. It would likely be a DnD rulebook kind of campaign, but I'd like to tweak the setting enough that no one can guess what's around the corner. When they see a monster they don't already have the book entry memorized.

Something like Dark Sun where magic is scarce and outlawed, and steel is the most valuable and rare treasure they could find. I've played with ideas like worlds where demons are not foreign, but instead a part of society, maybe even a playable race, and the typical "holy" good sorts of characters are a strange invader from another plane. Whenever I start to toy with these ideas and flesh them out, I end up stopping because I know my usual players are just so apposed to change that they won't be interested.

Dude, everything on Veeky Forums is fake. If you get THIS booty-bothered over someone's fake stories, you might wana find a different board... or a different website alltogether.

I want to run a Fallout-themed campaign sometime. I guess I'm not having trouble finding players for it so much as I'm having trouble finding a good system. I've made topics here asking for suggestions a few times, but they're always so "meh". Most tabletop systems that handle firearm combat are pretty "meh".

I also want to run a magic-school DnD campaign at some point, but the players I know IRL aren't really into more mundane "slice of life" stuff or low-level adventures (the players would just be students after all, not the all-powerful Gandolf-tier fantasy my players want).

>Sounds uninteresting. The main enemy is just some animal who can't employ any complex tactics at all? I'll pass.

The tactics come in when you're trying to kill a pissed-off T Rex in mating season with spears and metal armor.

Well, that's the thing, none of them are DnD or WoD, which are the systems my local groups prefer. So there's the "fuuuck, I don't wanna hafta learn a different combat system" on top of not being a vanilla setting.

A switch-and-bait campaign featuring political manoeuvring around a dangerous Imperial court with a weird short supernatural event in the middle to break the pacing and just provide a deeper history and mystery to the plot.
Basically, the NPC wizard that acts as their liaison begins to experience intense memories of his wife from a past life. It would eventually result in a woman descending from the night sky, taking the wizard with her as they both ascend to the stars- slowly losing their human shapes into something inhuman the higher they go.
And just never mention it. No one would remember the NPC wizard even existing except the PCs. Eventually deep below the Imperial Palace they would discover a cave with cave paintings of a man floating in the sky getting smashed into the earth by a falling star. A little "it really happened after all".

I just want to experiment with putting little short cRPG non-combat railroad "read the computer logs/writing on the wall/the paper notes" storylines in a bigass sandbox.

sorta just wanna play an all stealth bros game, any setting but we all agree to be spies, thieves and assassins, and deal with secret societies, political intrigue and dangerous missions.

That or blimp leggers from system mastery, fantasy where potions are illegal and the party has an airship and is bootlegging potions into the kingdom

I sorta hate the way stealth works in most tabletop games, because 90% of the time it's not worth it. One person fucks up and it usually fucks up everyone and leads to combat. Stealth is also one of those things that tends to go slowly, which leads to GMs asking you to make ALOT of checks for it, and eventually the odds catch up to you no matter how good your score is. I have yet to see any tabletop games do it well.

That being said, I'd still love to play a campaign like this.

I want to run 4e set in the Scott Pilgrim universe, because while 4e might not be the nest for forgotten realms, it's basically tailor-made for the Scott-Pilgrimverse

Talislanta. A very cool exotic fantasy setting based partially on the works of Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance (no, not Cudgel but rather his Planet of Adventure series), A Voyage to Arcturus and other weird fantasy books.

A Points of Light-esque setting, only set in the modern day. Infrastructure is light between cities and roads must be protected and maintained.

A campaign centered entirely on one location, like a space station. Events will occur each session and players will become familiar with the location until shit hits the fan and things start changing for the worse.

I'm in.

nugga just tell your players you're playing GURPS, and tell them what genre character to make, then spring the cool shit on them once you start playing

Super 80s Campaign (with some early 90s influence)
80s style dystopian future that is a combination of the following settings:
Shadowrun
Madmax
Tank Girl
WoD/nWod (at least Mage and VtM/VtR)
Deus Ex

No idea what sort of system to use or how to balance it.

A crack setting that is the mix of warcraft (rpg/vanilla), allods online, final fantasy (mostly 12 and tactics), Eberron, Ravnica and Kaladesh, all mixed into a weird universe aing to spelljammer. Players are many races from these settings floating the astral while trying to work out the political transformation that is happenning as all tese settings enter the age of exploration and find each other.

>Arisen try to unite with the forsaken into a "free undead" league, having problens to get Ravnica Orzhov syndicate to enter it.

>Moogles, gnomes and Gibberlings unite and try to do a planet sized skyship just because they can

>Illithids flock outside silithus and study the local fauna, suspecting theres an ancient elder brain rooted in there. Theres a huge war in northrend as the lich King doesnt want more octopus people taking his lands.

>All mages from all the astral spheres just fuck off to a magical astral station and form a guild to discuss how they will ignore the rest of the universe.
>Theres demons everywhere

The worst is that I have the players I made this setting to explain our old childrem shenanigans in D&D 1.0 But most of them are busy with their jobs and childrem now, even if they really wish to play it.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with added Ivalice races, low level caps and dealing with the destructive flights of fancy of the fallen esper race.

>PCs are mecha pilots in the middle ages. The mechas are alchemical golems. They are the only way to fight fantasy creatures like giants and dragons. They also war machines for the big nations.
this one needs expanding on

A magic school one sounds kinda dope honestly, as long as it isn't just some half assed harry potter rip off but its own thing.

A Hotline Miami style ga me or a game about biker gang's and truckers in hell.

Someone ran a quest like this if you need inspiration.
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Golem Knight Quest

>A world where the world shattered around a magical nexus of power, a la Alara from MTG. Multiple nations float around in a circular motion around the eye of the super-storm, sometimes crashing into eachother or going off track, so regular natural disasters are agiven. All new and/or recycled elements and power floods out from the central nexus.
>All the playable races are monstrous and adapted to this new, hostile world over time whilst "typical" fantasy races have bene broken both mentally and physically, evolving into monsters (straightforward reversal of roles trope, so humans become this constantly mutating race that adapts to the situation needed, dwarves become assassins in underground bunkers like trapdoor spiders, elves are nightmarish, hungering beasts that leap through trees, etc). Examples of playable races are bat-folk, spider-folk, kobolds and any other races that have found ways to navigate places where the terrain can shift constantly and unpredictably.

Naturally, combat maps would be agiven and shit could get weird when gravity and elements in the battle grid could change at any round predetermined or randomly rolled on.

If this didn't attract Furfags, I'd be down for sure.

>A JoJo's Bizarre adventure based game, set in London or some other city. Players are trying to stop a Super-Nerd from assembling an army of violent revolutionaries that have been granted stands via the living AI (which has its own stand and sentience) the Super Nerd created.
I would need a group thats really, really good at thinking on their feet and doing improv, because Jojo fights are 99% bullshit asspulls that get more glorious the more convoluted they get. Also player self-agency is a must.

>Another idea for a Jojo game plot- this time set in the beginnings of the prolific Space Race / Race tot he moon, the party are astronauts tied to America and of course competing against the soviets to get there first. Stands are key here to defend military tech and info against Russians spies and assassins and fighting will continue even after the party boards the spacecraft and launches up. Aliens are probably involved at some point and the rocket ship is itself a giant physical stand: 「30 Seconds To Mars」

>A detective noire game with lots of horror elements and lovecraftian sub-themes.
This one is more basic and likely to get done, but I don't know systems that could facilitate the ideas I have in mind (lots of altered perception and mindfuckery dotted about) and I've never run or even participated in a horror game.

How did I not think of furries when I saw Mystery Dungeon? Thanks for ruining it for me user.

Wuxia settings in general

>a straight up horror game

You'd think this would be easy, but every time people are trying to fight Cthulhu with a naval cannon or stab werewolves with fruit knives or punch a fucking ghost and then get mad that it didn't do jack shit.

part of the problem is that straight horror requires an overall lack of agency, which is generally a terrible idea in an interactive fiction context, not to mention most people, whether GM or player just plain suck at the actual roleplaying aspects of the hobby needed for straight horror to work

I'd love to run a musketeer/New World fantasy era game, but keep it relatively low-key, where the PCs are agents and freebooters sent to help a struggling colony. I have NPCs and a plot outline, but adult life is stopping friends from joining in.

desu I am trying to make all horror games have an option that helps them get through the encounter, but it always baffles me how "you found a relic that can help you weaken the evil whatever" translates to their heads as "bash things with this fickle figurine" and they will die.

But then again they just wait after being told "if X evil thing gets summoned it will take forever to send it back" because hard to kill = challenge instead of certain death

>PC's Have To Protect a princess from age 10 - 20 as royal guards
Spent months building it, i have yet to find the players

>An Only War Campaign where the players are a 5 man group of the Best the Imperium has to offer.
>They are called in when the situation is too difficult for the Imperial Guard to deal with, but not enough to get the Space Marines involved.
>They are legends in the Imperial Guard, the fact that you even meet them was rumored to impart a touch of the Emperor's Divine Grace upon you.
>To the Space Marines, they are meh at worst, and genuine curiosities at best, suprised that for mere humans, they were able to pull missions that would give a the Space Marines a tiny bit of trouble.
>Also the Team is based on the Ginyu force, where they dance and pose for the Emperor's Glory.

>Trying to run a horror game with well-known, well-established monsters

Yeah, there's your problem. Your players think they can kill the monsters because they know what they are, and thus aren't afraid of them. You need to make up some new, creepy shit, and invite your players to actually investigate that shit, and figure out what your beastie is on their own.

Stormtroopers user. What you're describing are imperial stormtroopers/tempestus/kasarkins
Or deathworlders

Please tell me The dance actually does something

I've been running a Planescape setting for a couple months, very satisfied I'm finally getting a chance to do it. Here are a few others I'd like to run:

Fantasy: Highland primitives who use alchemical solutions from their forests and mines to create bombs and chemical weapon traps to repel an invading migration of kenku and lizard skinks. The lowland cities have already been conquered and the highlanders have to lead an uprising of cityfolk.

Cyberpunk: Mercenary airstrike coordinators similar to Mechwarriors but with a different mission profile go on covert operations and coordinate airstrikes, artillery and infantry actions on behalf of many factions
-Or: as above except as Deathwatch Space Marine scouts

Steampunk: Players are Air Marshals for a blood-soaked maritime city state and use their investigatory and brawling skills to defeat thieves, skywaymen, air corsairs, spies and foreign vessels

Sci-fi: Players are space pirates and there are eight space empires to plunder, based off of the Aztecs, the Soviet Union, the Nazis, Imperial China, the Vikings, the ancient Persians, Rome and the Turks

Not that user, but that's Slaanesh worship.

>He is best remembered for the invention of a steam-powered water pump for draining mines,[1] for which he was granted a patent by the Spanish monarchy in 1606.
+
>Turriano is attributed as the creator of the "Clockwork Prayer", an automaton representing a monk manufactured in the 1560s based on a commission from Philip II of Spain.[1][2]
=
Early Modern steam powered mechas.
Maybe:
>De Garay was a captain in the Spanish navy in the reign of the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V. He made several important inventions, including diving apparatus, and introduced the paddle wheel as a substitute for oars. In the nineteenth century, a Spanish archivist claimed to have discovered documents that showed that de Garay had tested a steam-powered ship in 1543.[1] However, these claims have been discredited by the Spanish authorities.[2]
Too.

The arrival of the secret weapon of the Catholic Monarchy is enough to turn the tide against France and maintain the Spanish hegemony. But this is not an all-mighty Empire, but a realm suffering a serious crisis which has made a strong come back, Philip IV faces a great variety threaths, from the young Louis XVI´s France to the unease inside the Empire. Not only that, other potences are trying to develop their own "machines" while the Empire needs to secure the imports of commodities such as wood from the New World and Coal from Central Europe, meaning that the Treasure Fleets and Spanish involvement in the politics of the Empire are more important that ever.

The idea would be play in the XVII Century Europe, a mostly historic one but with some steampowered stuff, as oposed to the "traditional" steampunk seting with a British Empire with maintains a colourful Pax Britannica, we would play during the last times of the Pax Hispanica, kept by the comeback of a weakened Empire.
A setting with international politics and maneouvres, spying, great military campaigns, privatering, steam powered hulks, and of course rapiers and fencing!

Strong Spain might lead to other Western powers having less interest in exploiting the New World, and more interest in turning the New World in a hell for the Spanish.

Armadas of English, French, Swedish, Dutch ships delivering countless of metallurgy tools, firearms etc. to the Americas to arm the natives.

Like some kind of Vietnam war in the Americas. The Spanish take the role of Americans, the Americans take the role of the Vietnamese, and the Protestants and France take the role of the Soviet Union, China, etc.

>plot twist its not even aliens its just chinese people