Do you think that it's possible to play a character whose sexual preferences, fetishes, perversions...

Do you think that it's possible to play a character whose sexual preferences, fetishes, perversions, hang-ups and fuck-ups, whether they're made reality or not, contribute to making them an interesting and flawed character without objectively reducing the quality of the game or making the average player uncomfortable?
Do you think that giving a character sexual or sexualized traits, whether physical, mental or psychological, is irrevocably "magical realm" despite the player not sharing the fetish at all and trying to portray the character as none the less perfect, alluring or "sexy" for having those elements?
Do you think you could write or play a character like that - and why or why not?

And that should have been "none the more".

Yes. Case in point: Hannibal Lecter.
Not irrevocably, but frequently.
No. Victim Girls #20

Why would it be "magical realm" when the player does not share the fetish or attempt to force it upon the other players or the GM, even when "magical realm" is explicitly defined as trying to hammer in your fetish to the point where everyone else cringes?
If anything, it would be more of a problem that players who claim they're doing that are just trying to cover up their own fetish, but in the case that the player really does not share that fetish and is trying their best to make it into a faceted character trait, can it still be called "magical realm"?

My picture says everything that needs to be said.
>Do you think that it's possible to play a character whose sexual preferences, fetishes, perversions, hang-ups and fuck-ups, whether they're made reality or not, contribute to making them an interesting and flawed character without objectively reducing the quality of the game or making the average player uncomfortable?
I've played a human fighter for the past four years that is a bit of a packrat, sleeps with just about every woman he comes across, and has an almost obsession-level desire for pickles, which has gotten him into trouble on more than one occasion.
I have just described sexual preferences, hangups and fuckups. Never once has my game turned into "magical realm".
>Do you think that giving a character sexual or sexualized traits, whether physical, mental or psychological, is irrevocably "magical realm" despite the player not sharing the fetish at all and trying to portray the character as none the less perfect, alluring or "sexy" for having those elements?
My character is a fighter. he's come from ignoble origins, and has fought across five continents across dozens- if not hundreds- of campaigns.
As long as I've played him, there have never been any problems playing him, because I am playing a *character*, not his quirks.
I'm playing a fighter, not his sexuality.
I'm playing a fighter, not his love for pickles.
I'm playing a fighter, not his womanizing attitude.
I'm playing a fighter, not his urge to stuff every weapon he finds into the nearest bag of holding he happens to have on hand.
When you play a character, all of the little things that make up the character are not actually the character.
So either you stop fucking around and you play a character... or you jump into magical realm bullshit where the character's only defining attribute is to be a otherkin-loving mary-sue that sexually identifies as mayonnaise.

Yes, like to think I've pulled it off.

No, magical realm is not even a player's problem, it is a GM problem

I kinda always do, and I like to think it works. A character is not a character unless they have a some kinks. Whether it's leather or lolis or tile-patterned floors.

See, this is the kind of reply I rarely see to threads like this.
Then again, half of the fun of them is the nuclear wasteland that they almost always turn into because someone thinks that just because their lives are defined by their pent-up, denied sexual hang-ups, everyone else's must be too and a character with such an element must be nothing but their sexuality.
In fact, I think I could write a simple character blurb with more or less every reasonably wide fetish in existence that ties the fetish into the character while still not making them all about the fetish or making the character unassailable or martyred by virtue of that fetish, but then again if I say that here I'm going to be flooded by intentionally cherrypicked niche fetishes.

Yes, but I think it generally works better for an NPC than a player character.

Nobody wants to hear about how your character has a fetish for little dragon girls that are actually male and will dominate you with a whip, just like nobody wants to hear about how your character has a bowel movement one or twice a day.

Is pic related?

Yes, it is.
It's Cagliostro from Granblue Fantasy, the thousand-year-old alchemist who ended up having so much power and living for so long that he decided that living as a withered old man was a pointless waste.
Since he could create that body for himself, he did it, and now he's enjoying it pretty hard.
He's actually an example of the thread premise - he did it because he's vain and self-obsessed from being so powerful and is growing a bit crazy from age. Discounting third-party works, it's not a case of magical realm - he's portrayed as obnoxious, smug and creepy about it most of the time.

And here comes the strawman.
Your example goes straight past the point and into the strawman by making the sexual elements so lurid and unconnected to the character that it's just a fetish tacked on to it instead of a character element. Let's try to get as close to your ridiculous example as we can while still keeping it connected to reality and to the character.
The character is a sorcerer who claims draconic heritage and takes great pride in it, but is plagued by self-doubt - he doesn't know for sure what kind of draconic blood he has, how far back it goes and knows somewhere that he doesn't necessarily become a better person for it. He's obsessed, partially sexually but also intellectually, with dragons, but is still afraid enough of them/ashamed enough of being a human that he's not really a full-fledged scaly. Since dragon girls aren't standard in most settings, he won't be panting all over himself for the whole chronicle - but if one shows up, he'll be dancing to her tune no matter what she says. in the hope of "affirming" his heritage by having sex and maybe even children with her.
The character might have a secret that they hold a complex about being ashamed of - this could be everything, really. What matters is that they're attracted to people who hold secrets that they're confident in (for example dominant crossdressers), because they want to be made to feel okay by someone who's more in control of themselves than they are.
Both of them branch into a lot of other character traits and backstory elements, and don't need to come up unless they become relevant. You also don't need to sperg about it - if the thought crosses your mind when you're browsing the Internet, you can just go "oh, that sounds like something my character would like, and this is how it could come up".
I think your biggest problem is that you think that "nobody" (i.e. you) cares, and that you think that other people have as little sense of nuance as you.

No, he's right, literally nobody wants to hear about your character's fetish for little dragon girls.

In future save yourself 5 minutes and just type 'but i want to enact my fetishes in a social context!'

I was going to write out a reply to that, but I know that if you don't know you're lying to make yourself feel better about pretending you're the only person in the world whose opinions matter (and about samefagging), you're probably clinically incapable of reading comprehension anyway.
Go wail about people having fun in the wrong way somewhere else, and I'll go tell the whole group I have that would be pretty interested.
How does it feel to be in denial?
There are more than seven billion people in this world. There are more than seven billion people who don't share your opinions and don't think like you, feel like you and act like you.
Now go beat your pillow and wail, howl and whimper about how everyone in the world is a big dumb idiot and needs to die until your mother tells you you're going to wake up Dad.

Imagine spending time typing all those words just to say 'nuh uh'

Imagine spending all that energy just to pretend that's what I said.

Well, all creatures have sexuality, but that's different from being sexualized.
It is tough pickle to handle, but I think it can contribute to character.

Magical realm isn't "explicitly" defined as anything, you autist.

I'm neither wailing about anything nor lying to myself, and I'm certainly not samefagging.

It's just a fact that a character's sexual kinks are not details that anybody wants to hear about unless you're specifically playing an ERPG. It's perfectly possible to give a character nuance without even coming close to magical realm nonsense, and before you take issue with that remember that no matter how much you might insist that you don't share his little-dragon-girl fetish, it's always going to seem like you do to other players.

Weird that you're so convinced that most people out there want to hear about a character's fetishes but the reality is the exact opposite.

>1)
I believe in a world where people don't have the access to the internet you'd grow your more questionable tastes from non-sexual things you'd experience, maybe trauma or early age experience in life.
Because of this the kink itself matters very little because it's simply a manifestation of a larger part of the character, so for example if a character has a thing for really rough sex it might come from being abused or abusing somebody in the past, which is a far more interesting thing to delve into rather than the sexual part.
So the answer is no, I don't believe bringing the sexual aspect to anything will make the character deeper, at least in my hands.

>2)
Personally I would never write something like that down because the character comes from my head and traits are mechanical things I use to describe the character in gameplay terms.
If I never intend for those things to come up why would I write them down for any other reason than for it being ''magical realm'' stuff?

>3)
I'm not a huge fan of sexuality in the first place so no I wouldn't dabble into any of it out of my own volition, but if a GM would have a reason to ask me I'd have an answer none the less.

At this point of the evening I have no idea if that makes any kind of sense or if I read the question right but I hope it makes some sort of sense

Yeah i also have a thing for chinese pictures of little girls, but i can't see any value in bringing that to the table.

Some days on Veeky Forums I think the answer to every "do you think you could write or play a character like that" is "no" for the bulk of the board.

>Do you think that it's possible to play a character whose sexual preferences, fetishes, perversions, hang-ups and fuck-ups, whether they're made reality or not, contribute to making them an interesting and flawed character without objectively reducing the quality of the game or making the average player uncomfortable?,
Yes

>Do you think that giving a character sexual or sexualized traits, whether physical, mental or psychological, is irrevocably "magical realm" despite the player not sharing the fetish at all and trying to portray the character as none the less perfect, alluring or "sexy" for having those elements?
No

>Do you think you could write or play a character like that - and why or why not?
Yes, it requires attempting to make them a person with their own virtues and flaws, not a fetish or someone for you to self-insert into to play out your kinks, despite what some folks who hang around Veeky Forums despite never having played a game before seem to assume, it IS possible to give a character a trait without basing it entirely on said trait, and is in fact pretty easy to do

Don't force your fetishes and fantasies into games like this you dumb fucks, it's fucking weird and makes things awkward when someone has to tell you to cut back.

Is that Edna the Earth Seraph?

You tell me.

Yes, no, yes, I'm not an autist who obsessive over fetishes nor do I keep a watch out for them like they'll infect me