What would be a good, unique magic system to accompany a Mad Max type setting? So far...

What would be a good, unique magic system to accompany a Mad Max type setting? So far, the campaign has a passive quality to where they can raise their crit fail/crit hit range to increase their bonus for the check, essentially increasing the risk/reward and making things naturally crazy. Any good ideas for unique magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AcPm-MQiCQ8
youtu.be/FmqHs_6VSzQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mad Max
>A setting designed upon post-apocalyptic cars
>Magic
Fuck off

Either something along the lines of classic voodoo / loa spirits. Or Machine Cult.

>machine cult

This guys got it.

Technomancy would be perfect to turn the insanity meter on mad max up to eleven.

It's not just enough to turbocharge the engine, you gotta trap a demon inside the engine and use that asshole as a power source.

You gotta replace your guts with a V8 engine so that you can fight for days on end only breaking to drink some gasoline, meanwhile you move at twice the speed of a normal man and those hydraulic cylinders you replaced your muscles with make you 10 times as strong.

Inspired; the magic system is sort of like transformers meets mad max meets jojo's. All these super makeshift cars and crazy vehicles can transform into robot "stands"(like jojo's) that can be piloted

>you gotta trap a demon inside the engine and use that asshole as a power source.

WHAT VILE BLASPHEMY AGAINST OUR LORD AND MASTER V8

THE SCIONS OF SPEED NEED ONLY THE SOUND AND FURY OF THEIR DIVINE ENGINES TO BRING THE LIGHT OF THE SPARK PLUG TO THE WASTELAND

Edgy cannibal blood magic and radioactive mutants with abilities so strange they're treated as such.

Magic of gasoline

WITNESSED!

>Holy road warriors take communion, except that it's actual blood that's transubstantiated into guzzeline

>good, unique magic system
>good
>unique
make up your mind.

>Hell-Mechanics bind dark spirits into the husks of dead machines to raise them as their vile servants
>Technomancers fuse themselves with their mighty engines and command the speed of lightning and the fury of thunder

Can we add heavy metal bards to this and just make it a setting?

I like the Hell-Mechanics vs Technomancer dichotomy. One uses magic and demons to enhance machines, discarding the ideals of craftsmanship or engineering. The other discards the weakness of flesh for the purity and power of a well tuned machine.

All the same, which one of them would we consider the good guys? On one hand we have a bunch of crazy demon-summoning NO SENSE OF RIGHT AND WRONG-type wizards in cars, on the other hand we have the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Do we base the setting entirely off of that, or include other groups as well? I did like 's idea of radioactive mutants with "magic", maybe psychic powers or some forms of biomancy. Also possibly some kind of shamanic/druidic communing-with-the-spirits type stuff.

CAR MAGIC

No good guys in the wasteland.

What caused the apocalypse? Because the first thing to come to mind is something Dark Sun -esque, where magic drains life from around you.

Fair enough then. Still, other factions could be interesting. I mean, from this thread alone we have
>Blood magic (Possibly tied to Hell-Mechanics)
>Shamans
>Radioactive psychic mutants
>Heavy metal bards

We got some good shit here.

>Inspired; the magic system is sort of like transformers meets mad max meets jojo's. All these super makeshift cars and crazy vehicles can transform into robot "stands"(like jojo's) that can be piloted

And here comes the Jojofag, cramming his shit into yet another thread.

Great. Now we just need countless microscopic nanomachines capable of animalistic AI that require flesh to reproduce and sustain themselves, and instinctively use their possessed thralls/dead hosts to infect the living and the dead with the nanomachines, that are capable of cybernetically modifying their host's bodies to be more efficient at spreading the nanomachines and gathering flesh, and we've got metal as fuck hordes of cyborg thrall zombies spreading across the wastes consuming everything.

>Now we just need countless microscopic nanomachines capable of animalistic AI that require flesh to reproduce and sustain themselves, and instinctively use their possessed thralls/dead hosts to infect the living and the dead with the nanomachines, that are capable of cybernetically modifying their host's bodies to be more efficient at spreading the nanomachines and gathering flesh, and we've got metal as fuck hordes of cyborg thrall zombies spreading across the wastes consuming everything.
I didn't think I could get any harder over this setting than I already was. I was wrong.

I don't know why, but I love the idea of the Hell-Mechanics having cars with a nitro switch, but it pumps blood to the demons instead.

I think these factions need names. Here are my ideas:
>The Bloodrunners (demon cultists)
>Deus Autos (not!Adeptus Mechanicus)
>The Thundering Horde (Heavy Metal Bards)
>The Returned (Zombie Cyborgs)

So, let's think about how the apocalypse happened in our setting here.
>We have AIs
>We have demons and magic
Maybe these events were linked? Did an AI accidentally a Satan?

I'm thinking we give Deus Autos kind of a knight/crusader theme as well as being the admech. They are a force of order, trying to bring the Wasteland under control for the Cyberpope in the name of the God Engine. Theirs is the Iron Crusade, to redeem mankind by replacing weak, corrupted flesh with righteous metal, and to burn the heathens and demonic scum.

>post-apocalyptic Shadowrun.

All of my Yes.

Bit too much like the Brotherhood of Steel imo but I like the vibe.

Provided you make them crazy assholes like everyone else it should be fine. Think Torquemada's Terminators in Nemesis the Warlock; absolutely convinced that they're the righteous saints in a sea of madmen and degenerates when they're far, far worse.

Also another suggestion; make sure they focus on engines and vehicles, rather than the broad admech love for machines. Keeps the Mad Max feel.

There needs to be an inbred, heavily mutated redneck faction with loads of guns and moonshine, convoys of makeshift tanks, trucks, RVs, and motorcycles, and rebel flags. They don't have magic or advanced technology, but they are the unrivalled masters of making functioning technology out of scrap metal and salvaged trash, and are able to survive out in the wastes like no other.

user... why not make them demonic inbreds, tieflings with no magic of their own, but extremely skilled at tech, and a vast knowledge of magic and demonology as told in the form of american folk tales and campfire stories. Basically Gremlin descendants.

In other words, why not put Orks in your setting, but with a twist?

What caused the apocalypse to begin with?

Mad science experiments brought demons into the world, which promptly possessed a bunch of nukes and made them go off.

Not sure! Basically the campaign takes place within a series of larger campaigns each based on different areas in the world.
So far I have;

Mausol - A heist campaign that takes place in a sprawling city-state in the middle of a massive forest. Based off of Southern-Gothic and New Orleans occult, the magic system revolves around Witch Doctors, Psychic Mediums, and Witches.

Juris - A prison-break campaign that takes place in Juris, a beautiful utopia that is policed by Magistrates. Magistrates are the only ones capable of using the magic of Juris; Words of Power. Any command they give must be obeyed by both man and nature.

Dustlands - A wild west campaign. Gunslingers, talking psychic lizards, elemental natives, and a desert that won't stop spreading. There is a rumor that Paradise exists just beyond the desert. Many have made the deadly trek. None have returned.

Timberealm - A massive, ancient forest in the north, Timberealm is in a state of constant war. Rootwalkers, ancient sentient trees, guard the Worldtrees from the Giants. The Giants seek to find the Worldtrees and harvest them for their sap. Sap from a Worldtree is extremely rare and hold vast magical properties.

Basically all the Realms exist in the same World, though all are self-contained stories and usually isolated from the events of the other Realms. So the apocalypse-event that happened in Nitraus could pretty much be anything.

Let's think about where the Thundering Horde came from.

Maybe when Hell was unleashed on Earth, the souls of the damned got released as well. This included rockstars, who proceeded to bless their most faithful followers with magical powers.

This
That

Magic doesn't fit Mad Max.

Nothing against your demon cars and stuff, sounds cool, but not Mad.

I think there should be at least one faction that descended from a surviving military base. A death cult of some sort. They refuse to venerate the machine and survive by grit and a willingness to spend lives like sand trickling through their fingers. Their only concession to techno magic should be some way of artificially bolstering their ranks.

>Unique
Orks are out of the question then. Since their machinery is just Mad Max plus 40k magic.

Maybe look into youtube.com/watch?v=AcPm-MQiCQ8 because that's pretty fitting to the idea of a cult of V8.
Just change out metal for motorism.

Should we start a new thread for the setting?

It's Mad Max inspired, not literally Mad Max

Never meant that, in my opinion magic cars are just not mad max-esque. Your setting seems barely related to Mad Max, that all.

>Any good ideas for unique magic?
Heavy metal.

>>what is Deadlands:Hell on Earth?

Spit balling here. How about some kind of elemental shamanistic post apoc hybrid? Shamans draw magical energy from the elements, with fire elemental energy being the most common in such a hot environment. Fire magic could be used to do basic fire attacks and used to increase the potency of gasoline. Imagine if the Doof warrior in OPs picture was acting as some kind of gasoline enchaining battery in a convoy of cars.

Water could be generic healing, what with links to life giving and its extreme rarity making it more valuable in the mad max world.

Wind could make dust storms and be a more stealthy element, made for creating cover to sneak in and steal stuff. Could also be used to drive sail propelled land boats.

No idea for earth though. Maybe tied to more static settlements, miners or maybe crude oil control? I'm open to suggestions and changes.

Gee, I don't know? A shitty system that everyone brings up whenever there is a need to point out how NOT make a game based on an established setting?

(OP)

>Hidden military supersoldier clonelab survives carpocalypse
>Supersoliders, being a bit too "overcooked" emerge to a world entirely differing from the one in their implanted memories
>They arent having any of this shit and some smartass decide that having culture revolve around "The Machine" is what lead mankind down this path

I like it.

Strength looks like an engine block. THEREFORE WE MUST MAKE OUR ENGINES MORE POWERFUL TO VENERATE THE SPIRITS OF STRENGTH!

No idiot! Nightmare, the wheel of control should be revered over all! Without control your strength is misguided waste!

> The spraypaint is actually buff potions
> Blood sacrifices to the spirit of the V8 to gain power
> Engines are revered as gifts from the gods, if not angels themselves
> When a car is destroyed, a funeral is held. The occupants are just dumped out in the desert, or hauled back for use in the maggot farms
> On hearing about the concept of organ transplants, this is now the fate of vehicles; it's their holy duty to be used to keep the next generation moving.
> Anyone not involved in making or maintaining cars, fighting, or making new soldiers is considered expendable, and used as a power source.
> Not burned; they're too damp for that even in the desert. No, just turn treadmills, or pull levers to clutch them into the shafts in the factories.

Evidently, you've not played the game.
> Mysterious shaman
> Visions due to head trauma
> Nutcase worshipping the 'Angel Combustion' accompanies you for most of the game

>No good guys in the wasteland.
What about Max?

Take water dowsing, apply it to guzzoline, either finding it naturally, or underground storage tanks.

best lietmotif ever.
youtu.be/FmqHs_6VSzQ

question, would all of the seas be dried up, or do we want to allow for some high seas shenanigans?

>You gotta replace your guts with a V8 engine so that you can fight for days on end only breaking to drink some gasoline, meanwhile you move at twice the speed of a normal man and those hydraulic cylinders you replaced your muscles with make you 10 times as strong.

Did someone say TRUCK CENTAURS?

>TRUCK CENTAURS
I love you guys so damn much.
Never change.