I'm interested in hard science fiction settings. I've had my fill of space operas and fantasy...

I'm interested in hard science fiction settings. I've had my fill of space operas and fantasy. I'd like to find a setting which takes scientifically credible projections of the future and deals with them in interesting ways. Can Veeky Forums recommend anything along those lines?

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-roger-shawyer-patenting-new-design-next-gen-superconducting-thruster-1585982
emdrive.com/firstgenapplications.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2TtHYIrIPmE
youtube.com/watch?v=zosnCjiXKbU
rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read Seveneves

Gagarin did not actually say that, the phrase was attributed to him by soviet propaganda because it suited their agenda.

Gagarin didn't ask for game recommendations? Good to know.

Why would soviet propaganda want him to ask about hard science fiction settings?

It's hard to know what's hard sci-fi or not right now thanks to a lot of weird shit going on in scientific research.
>Gen 2 EmDrive supposedly has enough thrust per watt to create hovercars or reusable SSTO spacecraft
>we have enough antimatter to do spectroscopic analysis of antihydrogen... turns out it's the same color as regular hydrogen
>private manned spaceflight soon
I don't tend to go much harder than Star Trek because everything else tends to feel really outdated really quickly.

Have a source on that "Gen 2 EmDrive" that you mentioned?

I'm looking for something harder than Star Trek, to be honest. Something that's a little more moderate in its estimation of future possibilities. I recently started Red Mars and I'm enjoying it. Maybe something in that vein about 1000 years into the future.

Look up Orion's Arm.

Babylon 5, but only the humans and other minor political factions.

Just looked it up. It seems very interesting.

Got anymore homeworld stuff?

Keep in mind that B5 is a little wonky with how it presents. Humans are an intergalactic power despite being latecomers to the galactic scene and suffering near extinction with all their extra-Solar colonies destroyed approximately 12 years before the start of the series.

ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-roger-shawyer-patenting-new-design-next-gen-superconducting-thruster-1585982

emdrive.com/firstgenapplications.html

That's pretty cool, where did this come from?

>scientifically credible projections of the future
>scientific speculation
>scientific

Uhhh, by defnition there is no such thing, you pretentious dummy.

Primer is a really cool hard scifi movie.

But to answer your question: Blue Planet.

Too bad it's mostly set on one planet with no FTL travel. But that's what you wanted, isn't it?

It's a little old now but forever war is good.

>we have enough antimatter to do spectroscopic analysis of antihydrogen... turns out it's the same color as regular hydrogen

What's weird about that? It's exactly what the standard model predicted.

Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (1968). Predicted political correctness, weed legalization, diversity quotas, Islamic terrorism in the West, predictive online markets, hacking, computer viruses, climate change, overpopulation and even a President Obama (Obomo). I kid you not, look it up.

>computer viruses,
wasn't that in his shockwave rider?

Yes, I'm conflating the two books here, but they're all of a piece if you read them in sequence including The Sheep Look Up.

Transhuman Space. IIRC, it's a fairly hard sci-fi setting that has aged dramatically well compared to other sci-fi settings. The only thing it's gotten "wrong" is the setting's use of memes and memetic operations.

>Memetic engineering
>The use of propaganda to produce large cultural or sub-cultural changes over a period of time via insertion of self-propagating ideas.
>Not the use of repeating digits (check'd BTW) to control reality in the name of an ancient Egyptian frog-god of chaos.
So unrealistic.

quads for Kek victorious

Imagine, if you had banknotes, much like you have now.
With serial numbers, much like you have now.
And the notes where the serial number ends with repeating digits would be worth more.

All hail our massive space lord Gay Gary Ann!

Why do Russians still keep their space program active?
They are sending Gagarin his pension.

Orbital.

youtube.com/watch?v=2TtHYIrIPmE

Its been revised to be a stand-alone system (used to require mongoose Traveller). Good balance of hard-ness and simplicity

It might be what the standard model predicted but it's not at all intuitive to normies, thanks to decades of scifi showing 2spoopy special effects for antimatter instead of "don't touch that normal looking thing or we all die."

>Egyptian frog-god of chaos.
>quads

Kek'd so hard by invoking His name.

What, I'm going to run across a piece of anti-hydrogen while crossing the street now?

Street no, galaxy maybe.

Link/pdf?

Star Trek is not hard science fiction, it's soft science fiction that pretends to be hard. Also, here's a recommendation:

youtube.com/watch?v=zosnCjiXKbU

My limit for what counts as hard science fiction is 2001: A Space Odyssey. If anything goes beyond that it's no longer hard science fiction and 2001 itself is already pushing it for me.

Too bad that the main character (the girl) is so damn annoying and is badly written with her strange sense of right and wrong, if it wasn't for her I'd watch more episodes.

It's a shame you stopped watching because the entire point about her character is that she doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about. Her sense of right and wrong is just her going into this new world with opinions that don't have any real experience behind them.

And for the spoiler free version: She's not actually a poorly written character, she's just a well written character with HEAVY personal flaws.

They still could have made her less annoying and "preachy" throughout the show. And then the show at times lets her weird ass morals triumph, like the episode with the space burial and how the old woman just suddenly changes her mind because of that girl ranting off about how "Oh it's wrong and you guys are horrible blah blah.". I think that the rest of the show is superb but her character is just not well written, they could have written a wide eyed youngster type character far better. As I said I think the rest of the show is great, but that one character always irritates me so much that by the time I'm done with a few episodes I can't stand to see anymore of her.

I assume the huge recovery is due to Vorlon involvement to get them puppets for the next war and/or aggressive use of the Psi Corps.

And humans aren't exactly a major power, considering the power levels at the start of the series are Vorlons>GIANT FUCKING POWER GAP>Minbari>big power gap>Centauri/Narn>Humans>all the minor races.

>reworded Shawyer press release
>Shawyer's own web site

Into the trash it goes

do you mean the boga nyet business?
of course he didn't say that, how fucking corny and m'lady would you have to be to say that in fucking space?

I only have the old version that requires mongoose traveller. Its in the PDF share threads

Earth Alliance isn't a major power because of its current military might, they wouldn't stand a chance against someone like the Centauri.

They're a major power because they won a war against the Minbari, who are considered invincible. People take notice of that. Think of it like Japan becoming a Great Power after trouncing Russia in the east.

Blindsight by Peter Watts is probably the hardest and scariest first contact story ever written. It's on his website because his publishers are dicks.

rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

As for tabletop systems, the user who recommended Transhuman Space is on the right track. Eclipse Phase is similar, but while it's built on a fairly hard base (no FTL, no artificial gravity, projections based on existing theories and technological trends) the science gets really soft around the edges with the genetic engineering and brain uploading.

If you're familiar with FATE, there's another good game called Diaspora that's a little unique in that it encourages the players to build the setting together. But the tech is fairly hard -- spaceships arranged like tower blocks that simulate gravity through thrust, FTL achieved only through stabilised two-way wormholes, etc. The fact that the rulebook has tables on reaction mass ratios and orbital periods for player and GM use was a good sign in my books.

read "The cycle of Xeelee" by stephen Baxter
Basically very hard sci-fi, where mankind gets ludicrously powerful tech, meet aliens, and expands.
Story not perfect, but the lore is pretty gud. Also, the author really knows his shit. Expect much astrophysics.

>very hard sci-fi
>mankind gets ludicrously powerful tech, meet aliens, and expands
very hard sci-fi would be something like His Masters Voice by Stanisław Lem
AKA there is possibly a first contact but noone can decipher it's meaning and the whole thing is mostly scientists arguing with no clear conclusion

Holy fuck. I have seen the vatnik shop so many times that my mind told me this one was shopped.

Fucking /int/.