Digimon Tabletop RPG- What to Use?

I've been on a bit of a Digimon kick lately: with Tri to watch and Cyber Sleuth to play I'm happy to see the fandom have a bit of a revival. With many of my friends showing enthusiasm for the franchise again I want to run a Digimon game, likely based off of Tamers or Savers.

There are a few systems which seem like they might be a good fit, but I'd like to get input from you sain/tg/algomons which one might be the best/most fun/least sucky:

*1d4chan.org/wiki/Digimon:_Digital_Adventures (might work but I want to tweak & add some thing)

*Monsters and Other Childish Things (an obvious choice based on the title alone, but I know nothing about it.)

*BRP from Chaosium (I am personally just a big fan of this system. Might not work with the two characters (Digimon & human) people would be controlling though.

*West End d6 (would require a lot of work on my part)

I considered FATE but I don't think it's crunchy enough for Digimon combat. And while BESM is thematically appropriate it's utterly broken.

Other urls found in this thread:

digimonthefive.wordpress.com/
digimon-digital-adventures.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Polite bump.

Are people playing Digimon or Masters?

>Monsters and Other Childish Things
It's an ORE hack, which means you roll d10 dice pools, everyone acts simultaneously, and the d10s want matching sets.

>I considered FATE but I don't think it's crunchy enough for Digimon combat
Make me think you're not that familiar with Fate. While it's a narrative focused system, the combat mechanics are fairly explicit. They just don't feed that "I hit the thing" itch the way other systems do.

>West End d6
I don't think it would be as much work as you think. Digivolving is the only real mechanic that would need to be added to the system.

Thanks for the info! My gut instinct says M&OCT is likely a pretty good fit.

And yeah, I've onlyed played FATE twice and didn't enjoy it either time. I might have had some bad luck, is all.

I am intrigued by what you said about d6. I'm not familiar with it beyond a Star Wars game or two...

I played a game using the digital adventures system before, the game usually ends up being narrative focused due to the rough edges on the mechanics side of the system. Not a bad thing with digimon, but something to be mindful of with your group.

Definitely recommended tweaking things around.

Oh, and people would be playing as Tamers/Masters/Partners or whatever you wanna call the humans. They'll be teenagers, in the 13-18ish rang.

Holy crap I get to shill!

I GM'ed a Digimon game from start to finish, and we have a blog set up with our roll20 records sort of decoded because my players loved the story so much

There is also tons of art, although the person who maintains the blog is taking some time off for the holidays new updates should start soon

We have a link to the RPG we used, and my skype name is listed if GMs'playes have any questions

digimonthefive.wordpress.com/

Ill show you some of the art the game has spawned

I might use Savage Worlds with the Super Powers supplement. Then again, I can't figure out why nobody on Veeky Forums seems to like Savage Worlds.

This was done in a "Tri" style poster

RPG we used you can find the DL link for here

OP mentioned it in his first post

One of the PC's favorite NPCs

True but Im 99% certain that it links to an older version, like .08 or something and the writer of the game is up to version .12 or something like that

Nah it links to the new guys site

some stuff pertaining to the Epilogue of our game

some timeskip concept art, although lawdy it feels like this thread is sinking fast

One for the road

I was from the same game, so I'll post some sketches I have saved to keep the thread alive.

I always wonder about monster hunter, digi and pokemon sort of RPGs. Even moreso with monsterhunter and digimon, but are the monsters run by one player each, are they just tools with out personality, are does one player run two or three character sheets each?

the one with no active posts since 2016?

way we did it is the players played their Chosen and their Partner, as long as the PC's can respect each others flow of RP it went smoothly

Thanks for posting!

You mean yesterday?

(They're slow because they're a small group, but yeah, the DDA guys.)

I'm not sure what you had in mind for monster hunter but there's this japanese system called Tokyo Nova that I hear is pretty inspired.

There's also Colossal Hunter that has a cool system for fighting huge monsters but it isn't out yet. Don't expect anything in english for a while.

This is where the newest stuff gets posted by the guy that picked up the DDA project. They occasionally run spotlights where they look at potential partners and how one could run and balance them

It's nice to know someone's appreciating the art.
we're so desperate for the original stuff we made to get attention.

(You guys could probably guess who's character our artist was)

Thanks very much! This will likely be a great resource.

That's the end on the comic.

For some context on this one.
We gave all the digimon armor stages using either an official armor or one of the frontier digimon.

Coronamon --> Lowemon
Tentomon--> Bolgmon
Hawkmon--> Thunderbirmon
Patamon--> Prariemon

Shoutmon (who already had a running joke as a runt) got Omekamon since he eventually evolves into Omegamon.

The party died on his reveal.

and some shipper faggotry

Serious

FUCK

Let's just ignore that and focus on how gay this is.

For context, these two are
's kids.

These are a final form the kids end up taking to fight alongside their digimon in the final battle.

Modeled after their partner's final form obviously.

and a work in progress of the whole cast to top it off, since I'm basically just took over the thread at this point.

Why is that a thumbnail, that isn't okay.

Another polite bump.

Oh look, it's nightmares made manifest.

Good Ol' Digital Hazard

bump. I'm going to bed...

Rest well.

Hoping to keep this thread alive in case anyone wants to discussion digimon more.

I fucking love digimon and would love a table top RPG for it, but I'm not sure what to discuss right now.

>*Monsters and Other Childish Things (an obvious choice based on the title alone, but I know nothing about it.)
the only real problem with this system is that it doesn't have any mechanics to handle Evolution

well points in their favor for using actual Digimon instead of trying to make them up, hopefully they didn't just copy the Evolution lines from Adventure/02 for the three Digimon from that period though as that's just lazy

Nothing wrong with sticking to classic evolution lines. Some digimon don't have pure line, but others are definitely intended to follow a central theme.

I feel some good choices for picking an evolution line are:
1) Pick a rookie, and just go from there. If your picking a digimon cause you like it's rookie form then you'll likely want a champion+ to be similar to the rookie itself.
2) Pick a higher evolution and work backwards from it to find a rookie you like. This way is more likely to have less linear family tree.
3) Start with an egg and just raise it to see what happens.

was having a devil of a time working one for Beelstarmon, obviously we start with a female impmon but the champ and ult forms are just... I cant find a good pick

What were you going for? I'm sure you've already scoured through some of these ideas, but how about

Champions:
-Witchmon
-Wendimon
-Lekismon

Ult:
-Archnemon
-WaruMonzaemon
-LadyDevimon

I'm not sure of what theme you're going for, but hopefully these will help.

>Nothing wrong with sticking to classic evolution lines
I prefer avoiding those when possible, at least for Digimon that have been partners in the shows, mostly cause it feels lazy

>was having a devil of a time working one for Beelstarmon, obviously we start with a female impmon but the champ and ult forms are just... I cant find a good pick
I'd say one of Dobermon, Fangmon, or Sangloupmon for the Adult stage, and then Cerberumon for the Perfect stage(especially if it can Slide Evolve/Mode Change into Jinrou Mode)

should work fine overall, especially if you pick Fangmon for the Adult, as Impmon officially can evolve into it, which in turn can evolve into Cerberumon, who can evolve into Beelzebumon(which means BeelStarmon as an alternate Ultimate makes sense)

Lazy is a really weird way of looking at it. There's literally no real work in it, it's a preference thing. You go "I like this I want this" and that's it.

Oh man, I remember checking out this artists' tumblr because of the art that was posted in a Digimon thread a year ago. I really wanted to play a Digimon game because of that thread, but the only way it'd happen with my friends was if I was to GM it and that shit aint' gonna happen.

Evo lines are wonderfully fluid in Digimon. Anything can concievably turn into anything else with enough logic bending. I think the DDA book said something like the buggers had three types and at least two had to match up to be a proper line?

For my game I've picked out 15 or 16 full evo lines that have consistency but also aren't from the first few seasons (since my players have not seen beyond seasons 2 or 3.)

I plan on assigning these partners to people based on what sort personality their human PCs have. But I will also accept input from them, if, for example, one of them says they want a Virus type.

Here is a sampling of potential partners:

Betamon, Seadramon, Mega Seadramon, Metal Seadramon, Giga Seadramon
Candmon, Wizarmon, Mistymon, Pharaohmon
Dracomon, Coredramon (Blue), Wingdramon, Slayerdramon
Funbeemon, Waspmon, Cannonbeemon, Tiger Vespamon
Gazimon, Youkomon, Doumon, Kuzuhamon
Hagurumon, Guardromon, Andromon, Hi Andromon
Lalamon, Sunflowmon, Lilamon, Lotusmon
Lunamon, Lekismon, Crescemon, Dianamon
Ryudamon, Ginryumon, Hisyaryumon, Gaioumon
Tukaimon, Dobermon, Cerberumon, Plutomon

>hopefully they didn't just copy the Evolution lines from Adventure/02

In my defense my other two characters don't have an Anime evo line, and i really REALLY like vanilla Patamon line, and i also wanted to redeem Seraphimon

And here is the line i used for the first game i played but my GM had problems so he cancelled the game.

You should try to find people online to play with if you don't want to GM, because GMing is really taxing and hard job.

Really cool evo line selection

Thanks mate. Some of those are basically from the anime (Lalamon, for example) but shit like the Funbeemon & Tukaimon lines are so sweet.

They didn't, you can see the latest lines on their blog

I loved showing off character evolution ideas. Had an idea where the Muchomon only spoke in broken spanish.

My brother!

I saw a line that was a BlackGatomon, to the two black sistermons, to Beelstarmon visually it worked really well

>All that red

Nice

Also another idea i had, because i love gottsumon a lot

I want to set my Digimon game outside of Japan. Some setting ideas, feel free to critique:

-Boston
-Seattle
-San Jose
-Chicago
-Austin

Which one might work the best?

I'm not american, so my knowledge of those cities is limited to what i sometimes play in vidya, but Boston seems like an interesting place to make a digimon campaign in, and it has some cool locales to have digimon battles with.

What kind of campaign do you plan on doing?

Austin could be good because of all the flat land around it

>Evo lines are wonderfully fluid in Digimon. Anything can concievably turn into anything else with enough logic bending
true, although lines work best when there's at least one common trait throughout the line(or at least common traits between one stage and the next)

some pretty good lines, think I'll dump some of mine as well;

Ganimon-> Hookmon-> CaptainHookmon-> Olegmon

personally I think Los Angeles(and Southern California in general) would make for a great setting for such a game

We doing an evolution line dump now? Huzzah

i don't mind evo line dumping

I have nothing but bad memories of trying to rp this, granted it was in a freeform community that was riddled with autistic powerplaying faggots, but still, I'd say it's nigh impossible to have a good, proper game with it. I still haven't even heard of one finishing up or ending without fantastical bullshit drama behind it

Prove me wrong, Veeky Forums, I need to feel again

We actually finish a game

There was drama but we were still able to finish it

I GMd a game to completion, already spilled it over here

Hi, I'm the artist of the Digimon Game that finished some time ago.

A bunch of randoms and I on Veeky Forums got together because of a Digimon stream going on, and we all decided to pick up this system and have a Digimon game.

The game started on May 31st, 2015 and ended
on October 17th, 2016.

We had our share of drama, but we completed the game and got our happy ending, after many tears and frustration.

But honestly, it was worth it all. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a good experience with the system; it just takes finding a good group.

I'd have love to have been part of this group. Gonna binge on this for a while

It wasn't even this specific system you guys are showing off, just straight up freeform basic rules which ended up amounting to OoC crying and whining and pure unadulterated abuse to anyone not within this one certain clique. But you guys give me hope, and maybe I can find some of my old bro's from that site and try this with them.

Got Skype or discord? Rare to find Digimon tabletop fans we're debating on making a central hub for networking so others can have great experience we did

Yes to both

Wellllllllll what are they?

I don't know how

How to what? Be specific

Privately give my contact info

Never had need to before now

I am embarrassed by my lack of preparation. I'm a fool.

My Skype is steampoweredgoat

There lol

what's your discord though bud?