Flames of War General /fowg/ | Everything is awful forever edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide & FAQ, Podcast, and Defense of Moscow list:
docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
discord.gg/drZbxvm

Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk Listener Questions Form:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Someone convince me not put together a fortified japanese infantry list to spite all the local players running PttM.

You can lay Trenches towards the enemy right? Through no man's land? Because you could run through those. Towards the enemy.

Big into cold war history and this game has piqued my interest.
How tropey are the soviets? not a fan of communism but they created some badass equipment.

To answer the user asking if middlestone would be the same as dunkelgelb primer, I think it should be close enough. Especially if you were running something from late in the war. If you were doing some tanks in middlestone and some in dunkelgelb, you can always play around with drybrushing middlestone or darkening the dunkelgelb primer with a wash if they don't quite match.

Good luck getting dunkelgelb primer from Battlefront. I have been waiting on my order of that and Russian green for months. Just put middlestone over red oxide auto primer. I use Duplicolor.

tropes?

well you get a horde of okay tanks with okay troops. but even your veterans are not veterany enough to get a reasonable skill rating

They can be spammy army, but it's more to do with doctrine in my opinion. The worst memey bit is the massive amount of BMP 2s they can bring, which leave behind a horde of infantry to fight through after you kill them.

They have a wide array of support options even if we don't have some of their cooler toys. Hopefully the next soviet release will add some diversity to the Soviets.

Speaking of Team Yankee we are having a large battle today. The guy who runs our FLGS just made the huge hill as an objective for today.

Right now they're just a horde army, and are missing most of their equipment and elite units.

And speaking of elite units, even the their hardened afghan war war helo troops are somehow less skill/trained than US units that have never seen live combat.

Go figure.

whoops missed the new thread

The flipside of this is it's really hard to argue the colours are inaccurate. So long as it's vaguely yellow, brown/red, and green, it's probably some pigment type they used at some point. Hell, in 1945 stuff was coming out that was virtually white after it'd faded.

This is true of most armies, though. The trick to FoW is to never, ever worry if you're getting paint schemes juuust right, because almost nobody had the correct scheme in real life, either, and even the people who did probably don't remember it perfectly. I was speaking to my great-uncle and showing him my shermans (which are pretty much firefly green like the ones in BF's art) and he said that they were much duller than that, nearly grey.

That's interesting. Do many people here have relatives who were in WW2?

Not that user but i sure don't.

My grandfather spent some years as a soviet pow.
My other gramps did minor work for the local resistance (against german invaders).
None of my relatives really want to talk about the war.

My grandad was in the far east. Didn't talk about it for most of his life but inferring context from some of the stuff he was saying when the dementia started it was pretty horrific.

Grandfather was infantry: 2nd Batt Essex Regiment, 56th Brigade, 49th British Infantry Division. Made Sergeant by wars end, served till 1948. But he died when I was very young, so most of what I know comes from my father.

Great-Grandfather was a Major in the 2nd AIF, though I can't remember if he was 6th or 9th Division. He died when I was pretty little so most of what I know about his service is secondhand, but I do know he served in Tobruk during its siege.

Tbh that may be the only way to successfully play the Japanese in LW. I've been running them late war and I can actually win without going into the "Hard on for death" mode with the fortified company.

Had a Great-grandfather that was a Seabee in the Pacific. On my other side I had 3 great uncles who were a tank man, fighter pilot and then another who was in the 72nd Quartermaster Battalion which was a segregated unit for Italian Americans. Then I had another Great Grandfather who served in WWI and suffered a gas attack. He had lung problems his whole life but lived until 92. Grandfather severed in the Navy in Korea. He had a shell blow up in his face and his ship blew up. He was one of the few survivors. He had bad PTSD. Then another grandfather who was in the Navy but never active. Last person in my family to join was my cousin but he tried to hang himself in boot camp. Such is life.

Grandfather was Royal Navy. Atlantic/Artic Convoys, Some stuff in the Med with Sicily Landings, Normandy Landings as LCA Coxswain and finally the Pacific during late '44-45.

Not WW2, but one of my grandfathers served in Indonesia during the anti-independence actions postwar as a conscript.
He was apparently part of a maintenance unit (he'd learned to maintain engines at any rate) but still never felt like talking about that time.

one grandfather fought for Ustase after leaving the italian army. the other fought for yugoslav partisans.

i always wondered if they ever shot at eachother.

Grandfather was on the HMNZAS Achilles at River Plate and then during the war. One of his brothers was captured on Crete, the other one was in Italy and at Cassino.

Great-grandfather down my maternal line was in the 299th Combat Engineer Battalion. Sadly he died in his sleep a few months after my grandmother was born, so we never got to know him.

Similarly, I had a grandfather who fought in south east asia post WW2, fighting communists in Malaysia during the emergency.

great grandfathers died before the war, grandfathers were too young to sign up

my grandfather on my dad's side was "apparently a red devil" despite being indian and in law school. he did however test drive universal carriers in england during the battle of Britian.
my great grandfather (mother's) was in the navy, supporting PT boats, no actually combat because he was living in nova Scotia and after the Halifax bombing we were scarred

My great grandfather was a gunner on a Sherman Crocodile with the 5th Marines on Iwo Jima. He died before I was born but from what I've been told the man was a bad ass.

Everyone bailed the country except my great-great-grandfather, who spent like 30 seconds in the Volkssturm before he surrendered. Also no WW1 vets, my family has a proud history of fleeing to a large Canadian farm every time things get scary.

Yea, my grandfather was with pattons third army until the end of the war. Sadly, he passed away a few months ago.

Now I have a suitcase full of hitler youth memorabilia he took from germans

Actually I think he was on occupation duty in czechoslovakia after the war too

gonna do a shitpost: glorious new year shitpost!

dunno if we ever did this. You get your -Own Personal Tank!-, ala Girls und Panzer.
no girls requirement for you. just answer the below and let's see what we all come up with! oh, must be 1945 or earlier, BTW.

>YOUR TANK
>Your Custom color scheme
>any cool accesories?
>commander: defaults to you, but you can be another crew spot instead...
>you may pick anyone to be gunner, driver, etc. per tank: each tank has different crew sections.
>(other anons have to accept invite as crew, but any other person/character can be a crewmate)
>....
>What music blares from your speakers as you pass the burning enemy?

Not to mention dunkelgelb was one of the least standardized colors modelers have ever had to work with. You know how the GF9 TANKS game has some Germans cast in a yellowish dunkelgelb and others in a greenish dunkelgelb (just the Panther/Jagdpanther, I think)? There are people who will tell you that both are accurate, just from different factories.

I have a few great uncles on both sides of the Spanish Civil War. One, a republican, was given the choice to rot in prison or sign up for the Blue Division - he signed up. Sounds weird, but there was a bit of competition between the professional military and the Falangist party for representation in the division and that's why the army resorted to sending leftists. The Falangists were mostly sending university students (less disciplined, more prone to heroics) and they're the ones who wore the blue shirts the division was named after. We think he may have been at Lake Ilmen where only 10-20 out of a couple hundred guys made it through without being knocked out of action by frostbite. He made it back, was given a job by the government, and never talked about it much. Said it was sometimes too cold to shoot rifles and fought with grenades and bayonets.

Man, we have to get a Panzerfunk wagon!

Main contributors are Eagles, Virus, Marquod, sometimes me, sometimes you Bartosz, sometimes Hungariboo, occasionally Steelwhip, plus some others on older episodes who can't make it as often any more. So if we're looking at 6 or 7 crew, it's probably got to be an M3 Lee.

No idea who sits where though...

>Panzerfunkwagen

Interesting idea.

I'm not sure if I'd be the commander or the driver.

As for the tank... something slow, prone to breakdowns, but hard-hitting.

A King Tiger maybe?

Forgot to put my name on.

Tie-dye paint scheme

I had the mental image of Virus as the driver. I'm not sure why. And I've no idea what I'd be.

Blue and green Tie-dye on a white background?

Would be a nightmare to paint, but might look great on the table. I've literally no idea how you'd even go about starting though.

This

I just want to put it out there that I might be the only member of the team without a full driver's licence. I'm on my learners and have literally never driven a Manual transmission.

Noice. One of my Grandfathers was in Africa, apparently as part of the Catering Corps. Two Great Great Uncles where apparently Chindits skulking around the jungles. Step-Grandfather was with the British Army of the Rhine as a Vickers Gunner. Great Uncle was with the Guards in Borneo, Malaya and Northern Ireland as a officer.
I never asked him about it when I was younger because I wasn't aware of the significance. But when I was older, I was aware of the significance and didn't ask him about it.

Parking lots and Soviet bitching in today's scenario. But look at the board our FLGS set up for us.

wow what a nice looking board

Absolutely beautiful table.

The truly gigantic hills in the center are fantastic, and the town in the distance looks great as well.

It'a a bit of a shame that the morale rules and stickiness of infantry in team yankee results in traffic jams and prevents penetration and maneuver by NATO tanks.

The guy who runs our game store is also an artist and is absolutely a genius at terrain making and table building. We are very lucky to have him.

Dumping a few more images of the table

View from the church.

>It'a a bit of a shame that the morale rules and stickiness of infantry in team yankee results in traffic jams and prevents penetration and maneuver by NATO tanks.
NATO traffic jams? Have you not seen soviet parking lots?

you need a bigger table

The way TY coherency works means that most soviet platoons will end up overly-clumped. Having 15 BMPs clustered in a 6" bubble is always going to look kind of goofy.

Not him, but I'm not sure how to avoid blobs when I only have 6" around my commander to work with. Line Abreast is extremely situational at my store because of terrain density.

Try to use a hex grid pattern. It will at least look a bit spaced out.

Although even that can start to look crowded with larger units.

My grandfather's brother (granduncle?) was radio operator for the Italian army, he was somewhere in Jugoslavia when Italy surrended, he had to return home by foot disguising as a civilian to not be discovered by germans, almost getting caught and shot in the process. Never had a chance to talk to him though about it, he had Alzheimer and died when i was young.

no, but Great-grandfather was one of those who saw the smoke over Pearl Harbor and went to help, did not return for a week.

Why is that NVA T-72 clearly not in Europe

Grandma's brother was in Africa, with the Indians. Survived two landings in Italy and then spent some time in BAOR later. All secondhand from grandma; had something up with his blood from malaria medication he'd been given in italy and died when I was about six.

My grandpa wasn't old enough for WW2, but he was in the RAF for most of his life, and was in the falklands and gulf wars. He's the reason I was uncomfortable with wargames for a long while. Whenever he was open about the stuff he'd seen and done it was never good.

nice get, BTW,

Virus would be the Gunner, since viritol.
Eagles is commander. unless guybrarian.

we could do a T-35 and go all out style.

or, we could be a platoon of 2 tanks...

ATROCIOUS!

>....let's do it!

Likely Polish cavalry, as my family tells me.

as can be imagined, no records to say who or where...

>ATROCIOUS!
>....let's do it!

Note to self, buy Zvezda King Tiger. Paint in Blue and Green Tie-Dye "camouflage".

Where can I learn more about the development of TY? Now that many of the parts I specifically hate about the system (inability to sensibly deploy or remove company-level units) are being ported, I'd like to know:
>why is command range so wonky?
>why are the morale rules so wonky?
In both cases these changes only negatively impact games where Soviets are involved--a blue on blue fight should not degenerate into parking lots flailing at blobs that never test morale. I have already talked to some of the BF employees I know about the points change, and that was because of X-Wing. Sadly I have not sat down with them since TY launch, and at that time I didn't yet grasp how obnoxious those two things are.

My great-grandfather was born in Austria and apparently served. My grandmother told me his badge looked like two drum sticks crossed like an x.

A pregame photo from a recent TYgame I had against One of my old FoW opponents who just started playing TY British.

I was attacking as Soviet Tanks against his combined British infantry and tank force.

Things did not end well for my Soviets. All the lines of advance were either mined, heavily defended, or both.

In hindsight I think we might have over done it on how dense we made the city, but it certainly looked impressive considering it is mostly Dropzone Commander cardboard buildings.

Also, never let British infantry defend...

>Also, never let British infantry defend...
>British Bulldog flashbacks
Gott im Himmel, confident infantry should not be able to stay in assault so long. My poor Fallschirmjagers...

It was more the fact that British infantry in Team Yankee have enough anti-tank rockets to make even Late War US Armored Rifles jealous...

>Carl Gustavs and Milans...
>Carl Gustavs and Milans everywhere...

Plus my abysmal dice rolling probably didn't help.

Seriously, I swear someone halfway around the world has been stealing all my good dice rolls.

Hey Virus, have you been on a winning streak lately that you forgot to tell us about? :-P

You want a shitpost? Well here you go.

My tank would be a red and gold IS-2 with a flamethrower replacing the rear turret MG. "Stalin's Heroes" will be writtien in Cyrillic on the side. The new player from the battle reports who bought Stalin's Bears is the driver. The user from the last thread who had an IS-2 fetish can gun. An actual bear will be the loader. As we crush the corpses of the capitalist scum beneath our treads we will blast the State Anthem of the Soviet Union at an ear bursting volume.

Club's off at the moment for new years break. I've been stomping all over Communist/Fascist Dogs in Red Orchestra PTSD Simulator 2015, or playing my penis compensating BV-238/T-35 in Warthunder. Probably should do some painting and what not, but I need to make it into town and pick up some brushes.

>or playing my penis
Dude, way too much information...
>compensating BV-238/T-35 in Warthunder.
Oh. Carry on then.

Seriously though, the way the line was split on my screen made we think you were about to tell all of us about your recent experiences in with self-pleasure...

>that table
oh fuck the hell yes!

also hell yes. i will take that shitpost for 5 dollars

>playing my penis
we all do it at some time or another....

Even semi-anonymously on Veeky Forums, that isn't something I'd go announcing to the world though.

Besides, this is fowtg, we (supposedly) have standards. :-p

...but i like the Big Red IS-2.

so far we have that and a KingTiger?
were we gonna have 2 vehicles for the PzFnk crew or just one?

for sure i can cook up one....

i am also OK with namefags or anyone just cooking up a custom tank based on

wait, not any actual bear....

Wojtek....

My grandfather on my dad's side was in the Pacific. Not sure exactly what he did, but I could have sworn he was a Marine. Should probably ask my dad next time I talk to him.

How does the DZC terrain work out? Does it seem glaringly out of scale? Figured picking up two of the sets for some quick and easy city fights would cost me a shit ton less than buying a whole city's worth of battlefield in a box(although I would probably puck some up for added flavor).

I got that reference

I really like the DZC buildings. They look the right size for the downtown of a reasonably sized city. With the church and the TY buildings I am definitely buying it. Now you guys just need some trees for some city outskirts or a park to open things up a bit while still providing some cover here and there.

I'd honestly prefer an IS-3 but I figured I would create the ultimate troll wagon for /fowtg/

Wojtek is a dirty capitalist bear.

yeah but why the wheat fields next to buildings? i've only ever seen that in korea/japan

I don't know, but morale is definitely one of those things that feels off to me. Everyone at my club had been playing blue-on-blue and we were kind of bemused when soviet platoons wouldn't die.

The extremely obnoxious thing is that 2-3 T-72s can't actually do a hell of a lot, but they count as a live platoon so they mean if you win you always have perfect or near-perfect victories.

dont like stock T35s, did some conversion work.. thoughts?

10/10 would blyat

A lack of other suitable terrain really.

Ideally we would have used more trees. Or maybe a hill or something.

My FLGS doesn't really have much in the way of good 15mm terrain.

Hell, even the city buildings belong to my opponent, and not the store itself.

>Coffin for x comrades
Don't show this to japanese game developers.

Thats amazing, keep up the good work user, im hoping to see more conversions from you.

Very Stronk comrade! We put you in charge of design tank for glorious Soviet army.

Comrade your tank must be work of capitalist spy! To gulag for reeducation!

_______
Morale needs to be revisited. Particularly dug in gone to ground infantry are sticky against armor. Main guns from tanks have less than a 10% chance to kill Soviets per shot if they don't have brutal. Not to mention the player can deflect casualties onto rifle teams to keep their RPGs up.

In our scenario yesterday a soviet company held up multiple armor platoons until we move Gepards forward and threw dozens of dice out to kill them. If I find myself in the same position I think I will just pin them with arty and charge in with Leo 2's.

Brits are looking especially nasty to try to assault as each tank round will have less than a 5% chance to kill (without brutal). With all the attachments, killing them beyond 3 stands will be tough, and I am not sure you want to try assaulting them with tanks as long as they have Carl Gustavs. I am looking forward to getting some games in against them to see what strategies will work.

It's weird for me because my group hasn't encountered any of the problems other groups are reporting with TY.

We've had no problem shooting soviet platoons off the table. If anything it seems to us that NATO platoons are too easy to shoot off.

Assaults are a bit different but no major problems found. Generally your better off trying to shoot stuff rather than assault though.

Command feels wonky but we haven't noticed it hurting the soviets beyond virtually guaranteeing bumper to bumper parking lots.

Air seems hit or miss with most of us deciding it's not worth the points.

Personally I think part of this is players having their habits and expectations set by FoW and getting tripped up by them when playing TY.

It's the usual jumping to conclusions too soon.

In our first game (his second) my friend declared NATO op and soviets a waste of plastic just because he fucked up his deployment and was put in a bad spot.
I had to intentionally fuck up my MBT facings so he could kill off my tanks and not ragequit.

He later gave me some pointers about how to play since I made some "idiotic mistakes".

>I need new friends

Decided I'm building a West German force for Team Yankee. Already got an American tank army. Rate my potential list.

Marder Panzergrenadierkompanie:
HQ G3 team, Marder (1 pt)
3x MG3, 2x Milan, 3x Marder (7 pts)
3x MG3, 2x Milan, 3x Marder (7 pts)
3x Jaguar 2 (5 pts)

Leopard 2 Panzerkompanie
HQ Leopard 2 (11 pts)
2x Leopard 2 (22 pts)
2x Leopard 2 (22 pts)
2x Luchs (1 pt)
2x Luchs (1 pt)
3x M109G (7 pts)
4x Gepard (10 pts)
4x Redeye (4 pts)
1x M113 OP (1 pt)
4x Tornado (8 pts)

Firstly, did this on my phone and holy fuck does auto correct hate German names for anything. Secondly, I know my platoons need more evenly distributed between the two companies. Lastly, holy fuck the Germans get a lot of shit.

>we haven't noticed it hurting the soviets beyond virtually guaranteeing bumper to bumper parking lots.
That's actually what I was complaining about when I first introduced this complaint to the thread. Being rewarded for parking lots IS a negative.

There needs to be a middle ground between parking lots and daisy chains.

Maybe a larger overall distance.

Or a smaller tank-to-tank distance that still lets you spread out a bit.

Basically all TY's scale issues vanish if you play in 6mm, at least.

Though, what was wrong with daisy chains? It produced a lot of relatively decent looking formations when there wasn't too much terrain and it wasn't soviet.

I play British, late war. How important is the skill rating for infantry? I have only played confident vets, and I found often that I don't have enough platoons. How bad is the drop from veteran to trained?

Basically every time you drop a rating your hits double.

That doesn't pan out, it goes from 50% to 66.6%. I was looking for a more specific answer.

Well, he kind of means when you're including modifiers.

Gone to ground concealed veterans are 6s, same trained is 5s. Double the chances to hit.

At long range, the vets are untouchable and the trained can be hit at all

Ah. So is the bump down worth it?

Well, they've got the same infantry save. If dug in and needing firepower checks they can still be a good roadblock.

The skill rating makes you hit on 4s instead of 3s in assaults as well, so keep that in mind.

It's gonna be up to you if it's worth it but if you get some more support that can definately even the playing field.

I miss this table at the battleforge. Those of you who remember when I first showed up on here might remember the "wall of flames" that I posted that was something like 30 feet long of flames of war blisters and about 6 feet tall. This is that store.

They have some of the best terrain I've ever had access to, and most definitely the most in just sheer amount. Really need to head back up to Lex sometime and get some games in there.

DZC sells a cardboard city set that's like $40 if I remember right. I have a copy and it has a ton of "tiles" too so you can design city streets and whatnot. I don't play team yankee but if people would like comparison shots I can build a sample table in a half hour or so and take pictures with a bunch of my WWII stuff for comparisons.

Yup, they have both clean and battered city sets that provide enough 1ft square double-sided tiles and cardboard buildings to fill a 6ft x 4ft table.
We have 2 of them at our FLGS, primarily for Dropzone use.

Pretty nice for a variety of rulesets.
Also not that expensive for a whole tableful of terrain, though I feel adding some low cover to it works wonders for adding tactical challenges.

Rate my list please:

British Rifle Company
1500 pts
Late War, Overlord, Confident Veterans 15th Scottish Division
10 Platoons
>Company Command 25 points

Combat Platoons
>3 squad infantry platoon 140 points

Weapons Platoons
>1 Carrier Patrol with with Piat 75 points
>Pioneers with 2 assault squads 65 points
> 4 3" MKII mortars 90 points

Support Platoons
>Infantry Field Battery with 4 25 pounders 140 points
>Armored platoon with 2 shermans and 1 firefly 210 points
>Armored platoon with 2 shermans and 1 firefly 210 points
>4 M10C 17 Pounders tank destroyers 265

long shot here but does anyone know of any decent 15mm world war one British cavalry models(late war so steel helmets and swords instead of caps and lances)

i need some for my great war army and the only models i can find are early war lancers