People that say shit like "A Warforged Psion isn't Fantasy" really really bug me

People that say shit like "A Warforged Psion isn't Fantasy" really really bug me.

It's like what? Are you honestly uneducated enough to ACTUALLY think Star Wars and Dune were the invention of the concepts?
Does Tibetan and Hindi mysticism not ring a bell with you at all? How all the Gods have a multitude of ethereal long-reaching arms that relate to telekenisis? Can you even point out India on the goddamn map? Sure if you wanna talk greek, Psychokinesis was a term coined in 1914 in America, yet if that's a problem you should remember that The Hobbit was published in 1937, motherfucker.
But come on, let's talk greek. When literally the word "Automaton" came from what was literally used to dub the personal mechanical servants of Hephaestus, Greecian god of the forge? And you think fucking C-3PO is first robot ever imagined by man?

Don't even get me fucking started on the "But Warforged don't have souls or meat-brains, they can't be any kind of magic" pile of bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sounds like a personal problem. Have you tried, idk...Not playing with idiots?

Grognards are really the worst people
They should be avoided and kept away from the table at all costs

>But Warforged don't have souls
Pretty sure they do

Also, D&D is a game inspired by weird fiction and Dying Earth which is hardly pure fantasy. Distinction between fantasy and sci-fi din't exist yet it 1974

Also also, Star Wars isn't sci-fi to begin with, it's fantasy in space

this is similar with everything in life. People are uneducated and/or have limited knowledge on some subject. That limited knowledge shapes their world view.

If you know more than them you will see how limiting it is. And this is where problems arise.

Also don't forget majority of people only know about dnd, use only stereotypes that are fundamental in dnd and what is worse; they won't play anything deviates from the norm.

I always imagined warforged as souls of fallen soldiers and alike, that went through process of brainwashing or soul splicing before being infused into a new body of wood and metal. That justified, to me, why there were warforged barbarians, clerics, wizards, bards etc.

So you're just stitching together two old "___is NOT fantasy" baits with the hope it makes them fresh?

It's, of course, up to the dm but at least last I heard in 3.5 they kept the answer of warforge souls up in the air for a potential plot point.
That's irrelevant to magic use though since they're magically created beings.

Anti-intellectualism is also on the rise.
Understanding and trying to explain things at any depth greater than face value is mocked.

Well you know what they say...
Brevity is wit.

Or for the Clerics in the audience, "Do not waste your breath on fools, for they will despise the wisest advice"

>How all the Gods have a multitude of ethereal long-reaching arms that relate to telekenisis?

I'm Hindu and I have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Yeah, many Gods are depicted with Multiple arms but how does that relate to telekinesis?

You know, another thing I never understood about "Psionics is anachronistic because it uses words/concepts made up in the 1900s" is the fact that people still made use of things they didn't full understand/could explain all throughout human history.

But the same goes for magic. For exaple:
>Use of word "explosion" to describe Fireball (as a side note it always sounded a lot more like deflargation to me).
>"Program" in Programmed Illusion.

D&D is a game that's a mix of sci fi and fantasy. Always has, always will be.

Warforged are a lot less sci fi than the literal robots and aliumz and jet packs old school D&D had.

I could see people prohibiting psi more, if Disintegration, Teleportation, Telepathy, Telekinesis, etc. were all moved to psionics only.

>fucking X-Ray Vision

It's more accurate to say that D&D predates the separation of sci-fi from fantasy, because it does.

>Does Tibetan and Hindi mysticism not ring a bell with you at all? How all the Gods have a multitude of ethereal long-reaching arms that relate to telekenisis? Can you even point out India on the goddamn map?
I hope you realize that hindu mythology had absolutely ZERO impact on medieval European myth and culture, which standard DND is based off of (except monks, which are also out of place).

It ruins the suspension of disbelief to have non-consistent setting elements.

Can you locate India on the map? Now can you locate every mountain range, river, desert, and bandit-filled stretch of land between them and Europe? I can name every major geographical feature and recognized political body on the planet. There is a reason why Indian mythology has nothing to do with European fantasy.

Sorry Steve, I find your idea of a Psychic robot fucking gay when our game is based heavily off of Norse Mythology.

Standard D&D is based off of a bunch of now obscure science-fantasy novels that were only loosely related to medieval european myth and virtually not at all to the history.

Samefagging is on the rise. Dumbasses who had their immersion-breaking character rejected are unable to understand why (citing Hinduism of all things in a European setting), are coming to Veeky Forums to talk to themselves and name-call people who disagree with them; showcasing their towering levels of immaturity.

I have no idea what kind of DnD you are playing then, because it has nothing in common with the game that I and 95% of other DnDers play, which is based in Tolkien-inspired European myth.

... It's based off of a Historical Wargame that the creators wanted to also use to play LotR with actually you fucking cockmongler.

Warforge are fantasy to me (They're moving metal more akin to golems, not quite robots). Psionics are Science Fiction to me, (enhanced the human mind and all that just strike me as sci fi)

Psionics bleeding into my fantasy? That's fine, it's not an all encompassing element. Barrier peaks anyone?

>Tibetan and Hindi mysticism, Gods have a multitude of ethereal long-reaching arms.
All of your examples (in a D&D flavored world) scream to me Divine Magic. The powers of Creation. Scream it.

This is all personal views, which sounds like yours may be different than mine.

Anyone got that picture of the Knight being offended at the image of Dragon with a sword-in-stone.
Then falling in love of a picture of Jerusalem?

OP. Many stolen elements of romanticized Fantasy are nothing like their real world counterparts.

Your entire post is wrong, because the general idea of Fantasy is already wrong. Honestly deal with it or you know... run your own home game.

>citing Hinduism of all things in a European setting
What, would you prefer Jewish Folklore? Greek Mythology?

>Eberron
>European only setting
You're a shitter, mate.

Ebberron is shit and no one plays it

Talos is also another Greek example of an automation...a giant one at that!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talos