What makes half elves more endearing than their full blooded counterparts?

What makes half elves more endearing than their full blooded counterparts?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-consciousness/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well they look like humans but have long ears

They are? What setting, which edition if it matters?

Because Humans and Half-Elves are statistically the most versatile races, capable of playing to any class's strengths and compensating for any class's weaknesses.

And Half-Elves are resilient enough to be fucked without their hips shattering

... so do elves...

Half cutie, half booty

this desu

stats, and stats only. beyond that, they're absolute shit tier boring mary sue niggers

Holy fuck why are her hands so small?

Because elves have large feet or something

They age a bit slower than humans but have otherwise few problems to adapt to the human culture since most of them will grow up in it.

They also avoid most of the trappings of the elvish ego and pride about "muh superior ways".

They are different enough to make it exotic, yet close enough to humans to make it easy to get the mindset.

For the munchkins, many systems give Half Elves pretty overpowered bonuses and/or versatility compared to other races.

For the special snowflakes, it's the thought of being "like a human" but also better than your peers. Same reason why some people obsess so much about insignificant amounts of blood in their heritage, like doughy pampered yuppies who proudly boast about their 1/90 Native American bloodline or all the people who suddenly become Irish come St. Patrick's Day.

they're elves, but they actualy have breasts.

So they appeal to Americans primarily then?

Because most other people don't care if they're 1/16th foreigner - they are proud to be a member of their own nationality.

How do tell the difference between a half-elf that takes after their elf-side in terms of looks and a full elf?

Same for humans and human-looking half-elves?

It's like fucking a hot black chick who doesn't act like a ghetto bitch.

that's half-orcs

Fucking this!

mortality

Because half-elves are able to be THICC! Unlike elves, who are always skinny.

Creatures of mixed racial parentage represent a good bet evolutionarily speaking, so people tend to be attracted to them.

Most people are attracted to people that resemble them, because this means that they'll be twice as likely to perpetuate genes of their own line, thus perpetuating the trend. However, if the genetic material is too similar (as in cases of incest) then the offspring is less likely to be viable. On the other hand, breeding with a specimen of entirely different race endangers your own genes' chances of being passed on, but it does introduce genetic diversity, increasing the chance of offspring vitality. Evolutionarily speaking, mixed-race breeding partners have the benefits of both, so mixed race people can often times turn out to be very attractive because of the genetic diversity they represent. Plus, if the parents are of mixed race, it's more likely that one or both were probably attractive in the first place, because they managed to attract someone who normally could have been dissuaded by the fact that they're a different race.

I don't know, really, I'm not a biologist nor a psychologist so that evolutionary behavioral stuff might all be hogwash. In the case of a fantasy setting, though, it makes perfect sense. Elves are preternaturally charming but not human, humans are human (duh) but not preternaturally charming, half-elves are both and in general represent genetic variance.

I'm not sure about 5e, but in 4e everyone loved half-elves because they were good at dealing with both humans and elves and playing diplomats.

This is a distinct change from 3.5e, where half-elves were portrayed as being out of the loop and between two worlds, since they grew up too slowly for human lifestyles, and too slowly to learn everything an elf needs to know. The shift was probably because tieflings were brought in as a main player race, and half-elves didn't have to be the punching bag.

Only in shitty worldbuilding.

I would tickle those ears

>the half-elf party member is the child of two of the previous generation's adventuring heroes
>it's mentioned in tavern chatter that when one of the big bad's warbands raids their village they get a harsh dicking from 2 slightly rusty level 20s

origin stories, but only if its a shameful origin

>>Evolutionarily speaking
"Evolutionarily" speaking, you've clearly misunderstood some very important things about natural selection.
It isn't "about" spreading genetic information similar to yours.

Simply put, the evolutionary process just keeps adding traits until a trait ends up (for whatever reason) having negative impact on an individual's fertility or the fertility of their offspring.
This happens to result in some traits being culled while others are added.
(All the talk about fitness is only really from the perspective that fitness causes survival which tends to result in greater fertility.)

There is no mechanic whatsoever that allows the process to "care" about whether creatures that breed cause more genetically similar creatures to exist or not.

Since outbreeding is beneficial and inbreeding is detrimental to each individual's chance of reproducing and producing fertile offspring, the fact that people on average tend to be more attracted to genetically similar partners is actually quite counter-intuitive from a strictly biological perspective on natural selection, and requires a sociocultural or at the very least behavioral explanation.

Sauce?

Well, of course traits don't "care" about whether the creatures that carry them breed with genetically similar creatures, not literally anyway. But evolution is shaped by traits that increase their own survival.

So, for an obviously cartoonish example, let's say there was a gene that gave you elf ears. After some time some of the population has the gene (and therefore carries the trait) and some of the population does not. If that gene were to mutate along the way so that it a) gave its carrier elf ears and b) made its carrier attracted to other carriers of elf ears, wouldn't that gene have increased its chances of "survival" against whatever other genes might overwrite that one?

So yeah, inbreeding excessively is detrimental to an individual's chance of reproducing, but it's beneficial from the "perspective" of the traits in common of both members of the breeding pair.

Does that make sense? That's essentially what I was trying to say before, but I was in a hurry; and, like I said, I really don't know if this is correct or just nonsense.

1. They are not nearly as cocky
2. They can grow beards, albeit small ones

>Creatures of mixed racial parentage represent a good bet evolutionarily speaking,
Unless you get Outbreeding Depression
Then you're fucked, like those lions in that one museum that are unable to survive in the wild due to to large heads and hyper gangly limbs

>Then you're fucked, like those lions in that one museum that are unable to survive in the wild due to to large heads and hyper gangly limbs

What Lions user?

Guilty Gear

Holy shit you're ignorant.
Many, many colored cultures value the varying degrees of how "white" they are.

>Unlike elves, who are always skinny.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

+2 Charisma

as much as I avoid the continentals, 'Double-Consciousness' is a sense conveyed by the brief explanations in the various DnD players books, if not elsewhere.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-consciousness/

AD&D Half-Elves were amazing.

Nice legs feet

very floofy hair!

nice!

See half Asians

they don't, but if they do it's because their birth implies interracial and/or rape

They're the easiest way to have delicious brown elves. Delicious brown human gets it on with elf.

Elves are french, half-elves are canadian.

Evolutionarily speaking, all half-elves would be double pedos, if you think about it. Their human parent was attracted to someone who physically resembled a human child and their elf parent was attracted to someone who mentally resembled an elf child.

They are slightly bulkier than elves, but also prettier than humans.

On the other hand they are more relatable to humans than elves themselves.

Also longer lifespans, though not as long as elves.

Simple. A Half-Elf would be, from a biologica P.O.V., in between a human and a elf.

Half-Elves are bulkier than Elves, yet not as bulky as humans. Also they have pointy ears, but not as pointy as their elf parents.

Half-Elves have a dash of the charm of their Elf parents, but are prettier than their human parents.

Half-Elves live longer than humans, but not as long as Elves.

A whole lot of other biological stuff that I don't want to talk about since I'd need to write a book on it.

I dunno, my setting don't have half-elfs, because human can't produce offspring with elfs.

they need to try harder then

It's already a 8/10 setting.

Well, it's not like they didn't tried, but in process they murderfucked most elfs and they are dying race now.

It's atleast a 4/10 now.

so the remaining elves are what, slaves of the humans?

>white

"I'm American, except I've also got Irish, Swedish, Polish, Scotish, Urdu, Irish, French, Belgian, Hollande, German and Costco heritage - if you say anything bad about any of these you're mortally insulting me! What? No I don't know anything about those countries at all."

Nah, there isn't nearly enough of them for that. There maybe like 2-5k elves in the world, and most of them found really remoted locations to hide in their magical realms. Of course, there are those wood assholes, who act like they still own their forest, but they are forced to abduct human babies for training and breed monsters, so they aren't really count.

I love chicken bakes, thank you

It's the same when you see mixed race girls, mixed asians in particular.

They got a subtle exotic hint, while appearing familiar enough to not alienate us. So automatically, our base desires are flaring up as we behold a potential mating partner that is going to add a new badge of genetic information and therefore promise a healthier offpsring.

A full blooded elf looks far to much like a predator with their high-cut cheek bones and cold eyes, which frightens your average human, while a full blooded human looks like a slobbering flat faced caveman to your average elf.

So let us all appreciate the brave men and women of either race who have really fucked up kinks who enabled us to deathgrip ourselves to their silly hot offspring.

Evolutionarily speaking, humans are attracted to neoteny anyway so if you wanna place value judgments on the thing we're all pedos.

yo

Bigger tits.

Please don't bump a thread if you have nothing to contribute.

Apart of being somewhere between humans and elfs?

They are like mules. Infertile.

bump

What do humans look like in this continuity?

where is this from? I want to know what a hielf is.

it's a elf that says hi

The pussy game. Plane ridiculous.
>muh other reasons
Just look at the OP's pic, implying you wouldn't fucking smash that.

Convicted Cog

I don't see why that would look different than "elf" aside from maybe the pose.

>Creatures of mixed racial parentage represents a good bet...

>What is sickle cell?
>What is high alcoholism rates?
>What is Blood incompatibility?

I understand it's fantasy/fiction but I couldn't let it go.

Sorry.