Why are table top communities on Veeky Forums at each others necks all the time...

Why are table top communities on Veeky Forums at each others necks all the time? We all share the same hobby does it really matter what models we use or the games we play? Does it really give us the reasons to shit on each other so much? Are we even being awesome to eachother?

Were no better than some random ass video game community I would expect table top to be a bit more mature than them.

You know why.

>Why are table top communities on Veeky Forums at each others necks all the time? We all share the same hobby does it really matter what models we use or the games we play?
>Abloo abloo why can't we be friends?

Because bad games devalue the overall quality of the hobbyists, not just the hobby.

If the entire video game industry never made a good video game ever again, I'd still be able to play old video games in isolation until I died. In order to play tabletop games, I actually need to play with people.

Bad games teach people bad habits. The more popular a shit game gets, the more likely it is that any given random sample of potential players had picked up bad habits from whatever player mentality that game promotes.

If you don't make an effort to shit on bad games and dissuade players from playing them, I'd argue you're doing the community a disservice.

Because this is Veeky Forums. We've been trained so that our instinctual response to the slightest disagreement or weakness is to get up in each other's face and go mad.

Well, everyone who doesn't play D&D hates it, every other edition of D&D hates each other, nobody likes Gurps for being a shill, and Pathfinder is now the unnofficial containment board for /d/-lite.

40k would be great except for the reasons why it's not. Same with MTG.

All the other wargames have their own rovalries and infighting.

Dwarves and Elves will never get along.

We never update the wiki, which happens to be where most of our newfags come in through Reddit, which causes a new kind of contention.

We're not allowed to have Meta threads because we can't use them properly because of Quest/Generals discussion.

So pretty much all we can agree on is system neutral setting creation and discussion, stories, and original game design, except we can't even do that because everyone shits on everyone's ideas and labels it as cringe, regardless of whether it's potentially good or not.

So, really all we're good for is shitposting until Shoggy updates us with the latest from The All Guardsmen Party.

Because 4chins

The wiki should never be updated

It will serve as a reminder to simpler times when everyone was happy and when memes werent ironic.

1d4chan pops up when search Veeky Forums related shit as the second result anyway.

Certain parts could be updated. The EDH page could serve as a repository for all the reasonable advice about MTG.

Furthermore, it could be expanded upon. We go through a new setting with potential about every other week or so. If someone bothered to make a wiki page, they might actually bear fruit and become something like Towergirls.

Lemme guess - you play Tau.

>I would expect table top to be a bit more mature than them
Why? People are petty. Nerds especially so.

Tempestus Scions

Space Marines

Kill Team mostly with 40k

Ariadna

So I know a bit about war gaming in 2 different communities that hate each other for some reason

>We're no better than some random ass video game community

We're pretty much exactly the same. The only real difference is that there's never an argument over graphics, and that's pretty much it.

We argue over different editions (games in a series), we argue over specific rules (game design), we rant about settings (videogame settings), and most of all, we hate the people who drink the coke instead of our pepsi, or the Battlefield instead of our CoD, or the D&D instead of our Pathfinder.

There is always Atechane and their Veeky Forums the board owner there is pretty based.

To bad its fucking dead

>bad games devalie the overall quality of hobbyist
No you stupid bastard.
You could be playing whatever system you choose and its going to be the best game ever designed. But you still have to deal with some fucking faggot that thinks he's above the rules or will cry if anything bad ever happens to their characters.

You dont need to shit on people's games, or dissuade them from playing them, its like telling people to use the bus instead of buying a car.

Games are tools, and should be treated as such
People being assholes and ruining games, are assholes, and should be treated as such

Well, to be fair, Veeky Forums doesn't have a Pathfinder community. We have a Degenerate Fantasy RP thread that happens to use Pathfinder. I direct any and all sexposts to them, and nobody seems to mind.

>muh secret club

Those are just examples - you could use 40k and Warmahordes, Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020.

The point is that we have all the flaws of a videogame fandom. We're not any better, we're just oriented towards pen and paper instead of consoles or computers. It's hard to argue there was even a definite point where Veeky Forums hobbies and /v/ hobbies weren't intersecting, or being practiced by the same people.

I always kind of thought Table top/RPG gamers would be more sound in their arguments or wouldnt be complete asshats in certain regards but over the years im not sure.

>I read too much Ayn Rand

Why? They're still people.

>DnD is with Coke and Battlefield in this parallel structure

The patrician choices

[spoilers]I know how ironic this is[/spoilers]

I think you'll notice that anywhere there is a great deal of /a/ crossposters you'll find lots of shit flinging, weak trolling attempts and /v/ level argumentation.

I don't understand what op thinks we gain from "getting along" though, this is meant to be a place where you can disagree without having to hold back or be censored.

This is also a place where you can agree without having to hold back or be censored, it's not just a hole for you to scream into when you can't argue anywhere else.

I recognize that face!
It's inspired by Bols' "I'm not a good person" face from the Akame ga Kill anime, isn't it?

Get out of here Stalker

But probably, I don't know.

Because people are awful, and anons doubly so?

I disagree, it's a pretty good place to start for reading on 40k lore if you want to post on Veeky Forums, because you get the memes on top of it
Sure, retards will post them the first time they can, but they will get told to fuck off and will learn

I've been into tabletop gaming since 1989. The hipster narrative story telling rules light bullshit is a cancer just like the weeaboo, furry and my little pony bullshit that has is infiltrating tabletop RPGs.

Because only about 5% of us actually play these games.

Even before quests were moved to their own board, the ones I ran were full of people lurking and waiting for others to play.

Face it, we got swarmed by the people who watch gameplay footage but never purchase the games.

Tabletop is made up of manchildren instead of actual children and manchildren, like vidya.

And we don't share the same hobby, just the same kingdom of hobbyist entertainment. Tabletop RPGs are not LCGs are not CCGs are not wargames, and the things we had which were board specific instead of game specific died a long time ago.

Any attempt to move past our differences is beat down by people reposting the same 25 threads from the archive.

We might be able to fight this out if not for elf slave reflavor 86 and myfarog shill bi weekly

we are all lonely lonely people and deserve that loneliness

>I don't understand what op thinks we gain from "getting along" though, this is meant to be a place where you can disagree without having to hold back or be censored.

Also, if you give two shits about what some anonymous shit-flinger thinks about your hobby or any of your opinions you are losing at life.

There is a difference between disagreeing and the shit getting posted here

Were are being tricking into hating eachother.

Dont you fools see? The true enemy of table top games isant different wargames

its CCGs....Think about it I know some wargames kill eachother in your small tight nit communities but what kills table top games more than eachother? Card games you see in order to shit on table top players is to do 3 things

>Your community is dead/full of degenerates
>Your models suck
>Your rules suck

The 1st one is debatable but the last 2 ALWAYS comes down to personal preference.

Considering how many neckbeards and retards play these games why be surprised? Considering maybe 5% of the whole population lifts weights , there is no surprise once again. Also infinity fans are the worst by far

> anon1: i love this game so much and was born after 1980
> anon2: meh i dislike how game handles x and am on the spectrum
> anon1: HOW DARE U

atechan is a dead shithole filled with pedo/pol/

and /v/eddit

its a shame I feel bad for those few who hold the tide of shit posting

Well, it's probably because the nature of Veeky Forums, which always was soaked in vitriol, has utterly moved away from any and all pretense of brotherhood and companionship it had.

We're just /pol/'s next vassal board, now.

it was a putrid shitpit from the start, i watched them turn on hotwheels the instant he banned the outright pizza that was getting posted

i want to say that is the absolute worst community overall of the imageboard network

Blame Something Awful.

They dragged us down to their level of discourse.

Hotwheels cucked everyone that place is only /pol/ and /v/ now

It's even simpler than that half the time, since most anons are probably college age.

>anon1: I started with edition x of game
>anon2: I started with edition y of game
>anon1: I'm okay with your system, etc how it does a
>anon2: well I think your system's way of doing a is stupid because it's not y's way of doing a
>anon1: Neither is your mom's

And no agreement is ever reached because they disagree on that one thing so loudly and violently.

it's actually stormfront that raided and comandeered our board culture after moot left

hotwheels was a crippled wizard trying to make a place that respected discourse but went too far to the point of fuctionally zero quality control and moderation

bud, it was just gamergate rejects and nazi circlejerkers from the get go

Stormfront is nothing. /pol/ is nearly 35% hispanic, nearly 10% black.

Blame the hostile takeover of social media we experienced, even on /pol/(do you remember when the mods took away all captchas and post limits and moderation from /pol/ and it was raided with KEK KEK KEK for months? I do).

Discourse was soured because of militant lefties who hung around and still hang around on SA 'cringe' bullying boards.

I dunno, I never see a militant lefty shitposting here unless a /pol/lack shows up to shitpost first.

>I think you'll notice that anywhere there is a great deal of /a/ crossposters you'll find lots of shit flinging, weak trolling attempts and /v/ level argumentation.

This. If we banned anybody who posted on /a/ there would be a night and day difference on Veeky Forums.

Fortunately, a lot of them left with /qst/ and otherwise stay contained within some generals like /pathfinder/, but still.

Why would they? The RPG community is already co-opted, and they have their own hangouts. They don't need to go to war here, especially when we're not a very popular hub.

That sounds like an extremely flimsy excuse for the mass of /pol/ shitposting we get daily here.
If it was actually as you said, we'd get militant lefties trying to start shit constantly.
Instead, it's just /pol/, /pol/, /pol/.

user, all the /a/ crossposters left like two weeks after quests were forced here.
The rest is just the mega weeby state Veeky Forums has been since for fucking ever.

The real cause of the decline in Veeky Forums quality is the systemic reduction in the level of creative deviants on the board.
They actually played games, as opposed to the newfags and /pol/lacks we have now. I'd prefer any amount of fucking weirdos who actually play games to people who are here just for memes.

>I'd prefer any amount of fucking weirdos who actually play games to people who are here just for memes.
am
Actually agree with this. A lot of Veeky Forums fell into le memes spam where most of them don't even understand the whys behind them. Mix in some softcore weeaboo bullshittery and it's a fucking swamp.

Too bad there's no "verified purchase" equivalent on Veeky Forums.

I prefer the weeaboos who play games to the shitposting memesters.
Especially since even the non-/a/ crossposters here are hella weeby. Like holy shit.

>I prefer the weeaboos who play games
... have you *SEEN* /pfg/ ?
The people who would make me give up tabletop out of disgust if it weren't for playing it with IRL normies.

I've seen it, yes.
They regularly actually get together and play games, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of the board.
I don't care if they're all playing kitsune catgirl lolis fucking each other, they actually set a date and play a goddamn game every once in a while.
Like I said, I prefer any amount of fucking weirdos who play games to people who are here just for memes.

Those guys don't play games, though. They've literally been trying to get like three lewdgames off the ground for a week now and all three of them have basically failed.

That is literally more games I've seen attempted than I've seen on the rest of the board for the last three months outside of maybe gamefinder threads.
Though I haven't seen one of those in a long, long while too.

>They regularly actually get together and play games
>Those guys don't play games, though

>they're all playing kitsune catgirl lolis fucking each other
>trying to get like three lewdgames off the ground for a week now

One of you is clearly a /pfg/ regular trying to defend it

Nah, pathfinder sucks. Like, a LOT.
But they're infinitely preferable to memesters.

Gamefinder threads are the problem.

A lot of generals don't like recruiting within threads, so they tell people to go over to gamefinder. And gamefinder is eternally trolled by salty questfags and autists.

Pathfinder is just sort of in the situation where they are such rejects that they prefer to recruit in their general rather than in gamefinder because they'll get laughed at, and they're thin-skinned autists.

Either we need to have an official stance on generals and whether or not they're healthy for the board, and adopt a general culture, or we need to have a stickied gamefinder with GOOD, FREQUENT moderation.

Oh, you're one of those types who blame the board problems on generals and quests. And not, you know, the community itself, including me and you.
I gotcha.

Dude, gamefinder was one of the central hubs of quest arguing over the past few years.

Personally, I think that a stickied, heavily moderated gamefinder is the best idea, but I suspect nobody wants to put forth that much effort(It would be a lot of effort to ask of moderation staff).

The less banter that goes on in those threads, the better. As for generals and whether or not they're healthy....I'm neutral, but I lean towards generals being a good thing, since RPG culture advances slowly, and a lack of generals will mostly encourage memes.

Man, I can't find a single mention of quest threads in the gamefinder threads for a good ways back, user. And I don't remember these arguments either.
I mean, my archive search is once every five or so threads, but if you were arguing truthfully I should have found some by the time I got to 2015.

And I am leery of any and all moderation since the days of the nazimod. And how slow they are with removing /pol/. Or how they just delete entire threads now instead of going in and removing the /pol/posters.

oh wait, I found a single mention.
Where a guy is accused of being a questfag for shitposting about how he doesn't like generals.

And I found a second mention.
Of someone accusing a guy who doesn't like voice chat of being a questfag.
This is actually a kind of silly level of scapegoating here.

>haven't looked at /pfg/ ever
>look at it now
what the fuck

when did they get to become a Veeky Forums-tier thread?

around the time Veeky Forums became /v/ tier.

>We never update the wiki, which happens to be where most of our newfags come in through Reddit, which causes a new kind of contention.

And TV Tropes

>reading through wiki again
>all this good old shit that would be shitposted to death nowadays by folks calling cringe
Man, I really liked it before we all pretended we had some kind of non-anonymous persona.

>Age of Golden Neckbeard

No thanks.

Also the age of permabans for chronic shitposters, as opposed to them just coming back immediately.

That wasn't it. That time represented a time where we had one admirable trait: we enjoyed our hobbies and we didn't give a fuck. These ideas? Simple perseverance because we didn't stop because someone told us it was bad, or we had others encouraging us.

And shitposting? We tolerated far more than we do now simply because we could ignore threads we didn't like, a skill long lost to the ages.

It wasn't better, it was that we approached things differently, more positively. Things were better back then only because we treated them as such.

There's no going back to it however, and trying to would be futile, but we can go forward, and change for the better, and have the benefits of both modern and past Veeky Forums.

What did they call it back then, /pol/ocaust, something like that?

>it was just a prank bro

They kind of brought that on themselves though. And it's not like /pol/tards didn't flee to other boards and cause messes there over it.

Ever feel like the whole internet has changed? Like somewhere along the line everything got really serious, people stopped being able to take jokes, and people started caring where before no one really did? I'm not just talking about Veeky Forums, I'm talking about the internet as a whole.

Now I feel like everyone is weighing and measuring everything they say before they say it, and it's harder to find a thread that doesn't devolve instantaneously into arguing over how we've had this thread a billion times, how it's not Veeky Forums, or how some idea is just stupid.

It's due the advent of the mobile phone. Everyone says Veeky Forums was great circa 2007-08, right? Right around peak internet accessibility but before the release of the first iPhone. That was the turning point. Suddenly the internet is in everyone's pockets, and the entire culture surrounding social media changes drastically.

Though, people do complain about bad art and poor layouts, to be fair.

If we all (read: everyone in this thread) agreed to stop taking things seriously/take trolls suggestions completely seriously (see: diaper of holding flamethrowers), does anyone think we'd be able to reverse course?

It'd be a start. I'm the OP of a thread called the Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread. We've kind of built up a small group around encouraging authors and creators to post their content on the board, as well as posting digital resources for various traditional games to try and get the members of Veeky Forums who don't play games. Love and Krieg 2.0, as well as Fading Embers are some of the more notable projects that originated in our threads. We've found that productive threads like that tend to improve the general feel of the board, possibly even causing more creators to post their OC. Quality Threads are the main thing that improves the board.

I don't know. It might be hard to force it, but we could always give it a shot. Just having a few nice things in the right places might help.

Drawthread's been pretty ugly lately, I know that much. Imagine how things could be if we could encourage it to calm down, and maybe have some drawfags browse around other threads for interesting moments to sketch. Or getting writefags to take an idea and turn it into a greentext. A little good feeling goes a long way, and making people feel a part of something gets them excited and happy, even if it was a temporary thing.

When shoggy stops posting, what do you think will happen? besides shitposting, of course.

Love and Krieg 2.0 shows promise. There will always be new writers who are brave enough to post on here. I've got some faith in the future, it just takes effort.

>2017
>not enjoying the bantz
kys

you mean bad games give gamers... literally brain damage?!

>Why are the sects of Christianity all at each other's necks all the time? We share the same God does it really matter what beliefs we practice for the God we all believe in? Does it really give us reasons to shit on each other so much? Are we even being awesome to each other?

We're no better than some random ass pagan community I would expect Christians to be a bit more mature than barbarians.

That's what he would say about 3.5., I suppose

>We all share the same hobby does it really matter what models we use or the games we play?

If I put up sign-ups for a PF game I get a minimum of 4 interested players. If I do the same for a DitV game, I'll be lucky to get one. So yes, it does matter.

>Pathfinder is now the unnofficial containment board for /d/-lite.

Man, if only I didn't hate Pathfinder. I miss /wst/

Eh, you don't actually need to discuss the system, just whicu waifu is better, and as long as you can accompany it with an anime image.

Because deendee is not only garbage, it's toxic garbage. The vast majority of the people that play it get irreversible brain damage, unlike any other RPG, and become unable to play other things.

There is no excusing that.

/wst/ got moved to /d/, why not actually go there?

Be the change you want to see, user.

If everyone in this thread decided to be a little nicer and less reactionary, we'd have a much better community.

No single user can change 4chin culture, and they probably shouldn't. But even if only a few anons try to be a bit more Excellent to each other (until the user in question proves to be an irredeemable faggot of course), we'd probably have a much more pleasant board.

Until they riptide wing with Eldar allies, then fuck 'em all, let 'em burn

4chans/autism/whatever

However anonymous we come on board, we can take the shittier aspects of our personalities and exaggerate them without consequence.

What is funny and destructive is when you try to reassign that internet persona a name and think it's still okay to draw from all that shit. That's how you get things like lulzcows or hostile tabletop communities irl. Because they think it's still okay to act that way with a name or community to assign responsibility to, and then they get butthurt or turtle down when they have to deal with those consequences.

This

ever hear of unplugging a router?

Yeah.
IP range bans might have to become a thing.

Sure. And we should just bomb the hell out of towns and cities to catch a single terrorist.

It ain't hard for the mods to remove someone. Having been forced to deal with the results of a range ban before I can say they reall aren't the solution.

It apparently is, given how now they're just nuking entire threads instead of just removing problem posters.

>got really serious
>can't take jokes
>care too much

I think it's a combination of factors.

First, the internet is not only more accessible nowadays, but more people want to regularly access it. The sheer volume and variety of people on the web has changed dramatically.

Second, the internet has begun to settle down in terms how fast it is changing. Most of the traffic is concentrated between a handful of websites, and each of those websites has every sort of person on them. Combined with the large amount of people, then people start to assume (usually rightfully so) that once a piece of information is in one place, it is everywhere. By that I mean, everybody is responding to the same things at the same time, so when somebody brings something up that is viewed as old or outdated, it is dismissed rather than treated as something fresh. Like some kind of hive of discussion. I haven't really thought this through as well as I would need to, though.

Third, politics and the web have become enmeshed in a way that works against discussion. Combined with a (perceived or not) rise in extreme left and/or right wing views, the peak of a heated US election cycle, the ability for people to crawl into their niches that cater to their individual beliefs, and all of these things feed into one another in a way that makes everything terrible. Things become more about what you believe than what you are actually saying.

(1/2)