Oldhammer/Rogue Trader

Can't get enough of those old games still somehow.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KBKXu3Kg4yg
youtube.com/watch?v=-oatGPbCSIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

3rd edition hunched-over carnifex was a mistake.

> (presumably) stealth unit
> Better have a literal giant banner with the word 'Covert' written on it then.

10/10

So to start off a new thread, I ask you Veeky Forums:

Since RT-era miniatures are in such short supply, what miniatures would you use instead for that same oldschool flavor?

I was considering picking up some of these guys from the Ion Age range of miniatures as proxy Space Marines. They aren't beakies, but they certainly seem to fit the theme of "knights in space" while still looking technological.

If you were building an oldschool army, what would you proxy/counts-as with?

Asgard's space marines are still available in 28mm from Alternative Armies

They're cool, but I don't think they look enough like marine

Never found them to really be that short in supply, there is always a bunch of stuff on eBay after all. Well for Rogue trader at least, warhammer fantasy takes more digging to sift out the right era of miniatures.

>warhammer fantasy takes more digging to sift out the right era of miniatures.

I would disagree, between Black Tree, Ral Partha, Mirliton etc etc there's a bevy of oldhammer-style fantasy stuff. It's scifi that's much harder to find outside of ebay.

As someone who has been lurking Rogue Trader auctions for the past several months, it's not so much a matter of supply as how much you're willing to pay for one miniature.

They would suit well enough for other imperial or mercenary humans, but then so would a lot of things, I don't know what happened to it but wargames foundry had a boatload of old citadel ranges that were got rid of with Ansell's departure, all the medievals that made up empire and brettonian armies for just one, and for years did their own range of fantasy stuff that would fit perfectly. They apparently released some unreleased RT originals recently too.

>They apparently released some unreleased RT originals recently too.

That'd be these chaps.

Rogue Trader got a reprint, do we have scans?

It's the exact same as the original I assume.

It's supposedly a bit crisper in print quality.

Better quality scans than we have of the original run would still be great to have.

the "new" RT is GW printing scans from their book, it's not based on master or anything, they literally just scanned the old RT book and reprinted it

Judaism strikes again

Sup /oldhams/ Which White Dwarf issue was the grand opening of your home towns GW advertised in?

I'd use the RT and 2nd ed stuff I already own of course.

This.

And there's usually a decent deal around if you can be arsed to strip paint. Or go to the Oldhammer trading group that tries to keep things reasonable.

I keep thinking I should round-up all my old spares/duplicates that I'm not using from my RT stuff and sell them on to someone. Probably better to do it via a direct trade than risk ebay.

What kind of stuff do you have?

Just a few beakies.

It's against orks, it'll probably work.

>explosive cranium

Might not hurt to be vocal on GW's Facebooks pages. They recently had two Inquisitors in Terminator Armor and an Assassin with Combi-bolter/weapon made to order and those seemed relatively old.

I don't see the harm in them selling if for those who want a physical copy. In some ways I'd rather have a mint hardback version for $40-50. Not to mention them printing more possibly brings the value down on older editions if people are only interested in the content and not so much having an older print.

Das amazing bro

Wait, Fishbowl Helmet Guy was *unreleased*? But he's in a fuckton of RT-era shots?

Probably the result of second thoughts. He's in the background of shots because he looks neat, but his fishbowl was regarded as not fitting in the universe

> Chuck and Eddy

Enslavers: might look like a meatball gone wrong but holy shit they're not nice.

Holy shit that looks like a fun GM vs player fight.

I heard a rumour that Robots were run on flowcharts written by the player. Any confirmation on this?

I also heard in conjunction that people would show up with robots and flowcharts that were borderline AI.

There were some pre-programmed programs available.

Robot Programs were a mistake; the RT's main book rules for robots and limiting their reactions through sensible measures like having simple written goals/tell the GM what they're supposed to be doing worked so much better than the programs.

honestly I'm kinda surprised that the Enslavers have never really gotten more attention, they're one of the more interesting concepts that early 40k had lying around

>filename

youtube.com/watch?v=KBKXu3Kg4yg

I think they've gotten some attention in the FFG fluff, but as one of those horrific past events that's barely known about because it killed a shitload of people/planets.

This style of diorama needs to make a comeback.

bump

#159 Peterborough

>wargames foundry conversion

How times have changed

Got my hands on this yesterday for 60 bucks. It's in pretty good conditions.

Lot:
1 Rhino
1Vindicator
1Predator
10 tactics
10 assault
5 termies
5 devastators
1 Furioso Dread
4 Bikes

3 Trucks/cars (don't really know much bout ork units yet)
1 bike with trailer
6 bikes
20 orks
5 gretchins
5 fantasy goblins

a lot of bits

U think it was a good deal?

Ebay, right? Looks like a pretty good haul.

I got it on a buying/selling app from my city, but yeah it pretty much works like ebay but in person.

>Ah, the ever victorious fried egg chapter

This just struck me right now, but how the fuck did the guy manage to dress so badly when he had that good a sense of color and shape?

That thing's really a master class in making do with simple materials. I think they probably stopped doing that style both because they started producing more spectacular bits and wanted to show them off, and because they just didn't have the talent in the art department for that kind of shit anymore.

Look at that Giger wall in the middle, that seems to be made entirely from cardboard and some strips of tubing. And yet it really looks good.

It was 80's (or early 90's).

Also, suicide bomber bots.

Wow, fun idea.

They were there in the oldcron fluff as the reason the Necrons went into hibernation.

Hell, just suicide bombers aka Human Bombs

Good times, good times.

Is anyone more responsible for the look of modern 40k than Goodwin?

Given he pretty much defined everything from late RT onwards, no, no-one.

>3rd edition hunched-over carnifex was a mistake.

You could cut out "hunched over carnifex" and be even more correct.

>youtube.com/watch?v=-oatGPbCSIU
Goodwin's the nigga.

I don't disagree. I got 6 months into 3rd edition before realising I was just bored playing it and stopped. That was so much streamlining it felt like they'd gutted the character of the on-table battle experience.

>That Mercadona bag

those are novamarines

they're just boring Lovecraft knockoff shit

the programs were needlessly complicated because there was a need to distinguish everything from the baseline RT rules, which had the same weapons, armor etc for every faction and only really differed on point costs and unit profiles

vehicle rules today - four facings, three armour values, one damage table - are an immense improvement over the damage tables from late RT/early 2E, but it was part of that same process of differentiation that led to robot programs and vehicle rules becoming these massively over-thought pieces of shit

simple enough, but if you didn't get it first time around (and some people didn't, and their flowcharts reflected this), it was basically a game-killer

should have been fun and simple, but then why would you need anything other than the example programs, ever? and that was the problem, people would come up with these bullshit programs and either end up ignoring them (because they only realised on the table that there was a glaring flaw) or sticking rigidly to them beyond the point of sanity, so you'd be sitting watching some idiot working out a shooting attack against an empty ruin in the corner of the battlefield on turn 4 "because it's what the robot has to do"

still everything is a product of its contemporaries, and robots with no better ability to act than a BBN Turtle was probably inevitable

I thought Space Marines in Rogue Trader called camoflauge "the color of fear" then we have sweet pics of SM in camo Beakie armour. I am so confused.

One idiot space marine/chapter called them that. Everyone else had more sense, there being innumerable chapter approved camouflages.

In RT you weren't allowed to wear a helmet unless it looked like a bird in some way it would seem.

I mean, shows them using bright blue camouflage in a forest, so make of that what you will.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Correct post
Remember: "If the logo's black, you must go back."

I liked Eldar more when they had bitching leather jackets and longcoats.

And mohawks.

My best find was a complete Epic Ork and Squats warlords box with all the tokens for 5€ euros

>and because they just didn't have the talent in the art department for that kind of shit anymore.

Considering they currently have people whose job is entirely or partly making display boards and boards to play on at Warhammer World, I somewhat doubt this.

Doesn't mean they had it at the time when they stopped, but fair enough, I'm not hard to persuade that they're just plain ol' shit.

There has been other handcrafted terrain that has never been released, off the top of my head I can recall High Elf and Dwarf stuff.

May not be a case of an inability to do something and instead it not being the pictured wanted. That example with the Space Marines and Genestealer Cults seems to primarily be more about showing off the idea of Space Marines descending into a Hive to fight the Cult. Pictures in the last so many years however have been more about showing off the miniatures and sometimes a large number of them. This lends itself more to Cultists perched on top of terrain or Guardsmen fighting from a behind a trench.

FW as their own way of doing the above where they use actual models and scratchbuilt terrain, but use various effects to make the pictures less clear cut than GW does.

I decided to pull my old 2nd ed dark eldar to fix them up on my days off and i found a group of old Harlequins! I'm giving those rapscallions a simple green bath then paint them up

Nice, those old metal eldar still hold up pretty well as miniatures, only thing is really they're a bit flat in places.

>Banner, no doubtly brightly coloured, reads "Covert"

Slaanesh came a long way...

Yeah, I heard slaanesh can ejaculate halfway across the world!

Is this a topic for Mordheim and Necromunda as well?

>Milliput
The nostalgia...

Man I am thinking of stripping my renegade marine army and just giving em tiger stripe/camo armor.

Hell yeah it is sweetums

yeah niga

Well that's what harlequin truoe members are for

Not enough.

I mean look at this. It's 100x better than the current models. Why? Because longcoat.

I mean seriously. Why did they remove leather jackets and longcoats? It's like with the whole removal of the leather jackets from most heroes in comics after 80's and 90's. For what reason?

I'd love to see even Aspect Warriors doing something like this.

Imagine Howling Banshees with leather jackets over their armors. Or Dark Reapers with sleeveless longcoats.

So, I'm puting together Witch Hunter warband. I was delighted to discover that Mordheim is still alive and kicking in my city.

I would think twice before calling bluff on guy in such longcoat indeed. I an kinda sorry that game overall lost this mercanary feel. Orks with whole Blood Axes concept were cool mercanary force, that would have allowed more wacky humor, that 40k later needed to not be so grimderp.

Maybe ask GW to release new Eldar models with longcoats and leather jackets?

Lately they are actually trying to do something new and are asking people what to produce.

The greed however still remains, and the stigma of Tom Kirby means that they have a long way until they fix themselves.

And indeed about 40K. Up to 4th ED it was still acceptable.

During and after 5th ED, all went to hell. Also you need to put into the factor that there are people to want it as grimderp as possible for stupid reasons...

Pity. I miss those times when GW was fun. Maybe they fix it in the future? Who knows?

You know, but there are two kinds of grimdark.
There is fun, wacky grimdark, right from 2000AD, Dredd and Nemezis.

And there is grimderp of modern 40k edgy writing. How people actually get involved in Horse Heresay series is beyond me. The writing of this primarchwank is fucking awful.

Not outsorcing novels is a grave mistake.

I really miss the wacky grimdark.

Dredd and Nemesis essentially set in stone how 40K looked like back then.

Then 40K lost its way.

And I feel your pain.

Before the whole HH novels Emps and the Primarchs were actually pretty chill dudes.

Now they are all superhuman manbabies...

Will wacky grimdark return? Or at least to some point?

What can you expect when chief guy behind HH exclaimed on their forums that old fluff is uninteresting and will be removed piece after piece. He was also puzzled why people regarded ,,some old pieces of Bill King as something sacred and set in stone".

He backtracked, but only due to backslash. I think it's nice that he at last admitted what they think.