Would a typical YOU WERE THE BAD GUY ALL ALONG- Twist work in a Veeky Forums?

would a typical YOU WERE THE BAD GUY ALL ALONG- Twist work in a Veeky Forums?

You can dupe the players into working for the bad guy.

If my DM pulled a Revan on me, I actually wouldn't expect that and would absolutely love it.

>the quest giver was actually evil all along
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Depends how attached the player gets to their backstory. If we all started with amnesia I'd see this sort of thing coming.

I have bad news for you.

Awh does it hurt your fragile sensibilities?
How trite :' (

It depends on so many factors it renders speculation pointless. What is such a typical twist in your mind?

Yes

it can be great if 1) it really has a purpose to lure the pc as the bad guy (he could have used evil minions instead). 2) the evil guy might not be so evil/interesting motivations, that might led the pc to think, and even join him. Also, might be interesting to make the pc work for "the good guy" or neutral organization, then, to give them the opportunity to work for the guy that will be revealed as the evil guy.It's even better if they can dig more information that balance both side.

Finally, the main idea is to have a guy who manipulate the pc against their will. Think about several noble families struggling for power : they are not especially evil, and they just want to maintain their family at the top, and each of them will try to manipulate the pc in order to do so.

I don't really see why it couldn't work assuming it's not just something you pulled out of your ass because you forgot your notes or something
You may as well swear off dragons, taverns and swords at that point

enjoying that one time because after that your players will consistently assassinate quest givers.

>You all meet in a Tavern
>It's under siege by the Beast warlord skull fucker
>And go, your move players

>having a quest giver
>not having using rumors, maps, and sages to let the PCs decide what they want to do

ISHYGDDT

the famous
>a shady figure approach
>croaks the following sentence
> I have a task for you, young ones... Great treasures await you !
> It's obviously a trustworthy questgiver

>Not having a Questgiver Certification and Licensing Board
It's like you want your society falling apart

Wait, do you need a croaky voice and deep hood to get a license? Or is that a matter of individual taste?

If you have shitty players, maybe.

At one point in the early 2000's I swear most campaign settings featured this plot twist.
>Hey, you thought you were playing a campaign about swashbuckling pirates? Guess what, you were worshiping a Cthulhu-like entity all along.
>Thought you were fighting evil with satanic objects? Turns out you're just helping Satan.

I stabbed one of those quest givers because he was being suspicious and insulted my character for thinking that he was suspicious. That time it was not a character that took shit from anyone. Later it was found out that he was in the right to stab his shit.

You need a questgiver license to:
>Hire a band of mercenaries
>Approach a band of mercenaries asking for help pro-bono
>Reveal information in exchange for profit
>Spread rumors of lost treasure
>Draw or distribute copies of maps leading to lost treasure
>Hang around in bars whispering about politics to visiting outsiders

The official uniform is a deep hood, but it isn't mandatory as long as the badge is clearly displayed.

My GM did that. The character i played turned out to be a clone of Big Bad who was meant to gather power and skill for Big Bad to find capable body and soul that would fuse with his own, already quite immpresive, power. Big Bad himself is responsible for plague that wiped out half of the continent. My character in the end decided to kill him, failing terribly, which resulted in going to realm of the rape demon deity to obtain artifact associated with it. Hijinks ensued.

Setting is TES during the second era, the plague is Knahaten Flu. I'm playing an Argonian Necromancer.

Hey, the Merchant in Resident Evil 4 turned out to be a pretty helpful dude.

Because people were starting to notice just how mindless and simple so much of fantasy fiction was (and still is). The good guys are always handsome/beautiful smart people of virtue and light, while the bad guys are always ugly dumbasses of vice and darkness.

Also the good guys are always depicted as white europeans while everyone else is either an ethnic stereotype or an outright monster. Oh, and whatever monotheistic religion exists in the setting will always be composed entirely of evil crusaders of ignorance and oppression, while every other faith is a downtrodden minority.

Oh, oh, and heroes are never, ever wrong about any cause they decide to fight for, because it's always blindingly obvious who is and isn't a good guy, and the heroes' judgement is always infallible in that regard anyway.

There's definitely more cliches I could think of, but my point is that those kinds of endings were a reaction to decades of writers thoughtlessly regurgitating the same trite nonsense, without ever doing anything new or clever with it.

do you need a questgiver license to run in an alley, bumping into people, and dropping inadvertly a mysterious scroll ?

it's the logical answer to shit gm.
then he actually need to think about a story instead of pulling this half the time

Yes.

Also, all mysterious scrolls are controlled items punishable by jail time if the subject matter is deemed sufficiently mysterious.

meanwhile, at chaosium...

What kind of shitty DM starts assigning morality to anything the players choose to do?

One running a campaign in a setting where good and evil are objective cosmic forces?

You are going to have to be good at duping your players outside the game too or someone will figure it out and ruin your surprise.

>Players are amnesiac BBEGs
>They fight the last BBEG left from their company, gruadually regaining memories and power

>where good and evil are cosmic forces

That's lame as fuck. Just have gods of "good" and gods of "evil", change the names of the categories and leave the morality ambiguous as players do actions that please one or the other.

>You weren't the bad guy after all

Technically you were still the bad guy in Overlord. The wizard was just the bad guy before you

It's threads like this that make me miss Terry Pratchett the most.

But you weren't the bad guy, you were one of the heroes that fell defeating the overlord.

You used to be the hero but became the bad guy after the minions woke you up

>without ever doing anything new or clever with it
What a shame that the people who decided to change that were incapable of cleverness.

Every last one of them was an irredeemable fuckwit, which has led to the situation we now face.

that wouldnt really be a twist, but more of a realization for many groups

>how did that happen?

I only do this to players who don't write a backstory for their character.

Depends on how well it's executed.

But let's be honest here, given how pcs tend to act it's typically less "You were the bad guy all along" and more "Gaggle of suspiciously competent-yet-retarded chucklefucks ruin everything, including the plans of local villains"

>Character was a heroine, Lawful Good Paladin
>Suffers from Amnesia
>Lots of hints implying the current BBEG (who hasn't been seen for years) might be them
>Party gets to the BBEG's lair expecting it to be empty
>Actually has the BBEG "Evil Wizard" guy inside of it
>Fight ensues
>Villain is given a mortal wound, turns to Heroine party member
>It turns out he was her lover hundreds of years ago, kept himself alive through dark magic and pure unbridled rage
>She was a Lawful Good hero then too, but accidentally got involved in the politics of her day
>Was slandered as a villain, burned at the stake martyr style
>He narrowly escaped, became the monster the authorities accused him of being
>Waited until the day where her memory was almost entirely forgotten
>Used an immense amount of magic to bring her back to life/reincarnate her in a new body
>Went on a rampage killing people and trying to "conquer" the world specifically to be hated as a villain
>Asks the Heroine to strike the final blow so she'd be known as the great hero she always was.

Just as Keikaku