I have a problem with the GM of the d&d game we're playing...

I have a problem with the GM of the d&d game we're playing. To give you an idea of whats going on our group consists of me (gnoll paladin/cleric/fist of raziel) luka (monk/barbarian) doug (wizard) ashley (bard/ranger) and the GM. we're playing an undead heavy campaign and everything was going well until recently when I confided in the dm (who is my close friend) something about myself since i ws going through some hard times and now lately it seems like every session has been more focused on trying to kill off my character than anything else.

Just an example: we were in a sand crypt looking to recover a lost ring that the high priestess of the jade had lost while on an emissary mission and the cave was full of vampires. I led the way and we stumbled across a chamber where they were all sleeping. we backed out of the room and I had the party put enhancement spells on me so I could deal with the vampires, but for some reason when I went in the room the dm started making me roll move silent checks. I rolled a 6 and all the vampires suddenly woke up and started attacking me while I was in the middle of the room before the others could get in. All of them were swarming me and I was getting lucky that they couldn't hit through my AC (most were rolling on average 16) but then suddenly one hits me with a critical hit and I take a negative level. Okay thats fine. We kill the vampires and I drink a healing potion, but the DM tells me that the negative level didn't go away. I wind up having to back track all the way to the temple just to get it removed, and by the time we got back, THE VAMPIRES HAD ALREADY REFORMED IN THEIR COFFINS AND WERE PERFECTLY FINE.

(cont)

Proof 2: Going into a desert temple where signs of a battle had taken place, there's a strange old man coming out of it dressed completely different from everyone we'd met so far. I detect evil on him and the DM tells me that I'm overwhelmed by his evil aura, so much so that I'm stunned for a round and get a nose bleed. I don't even get a save against this, he just gets to freely attack me for no reason whatsoever. Then to add insult to injury the old man turns out to be a dry lich who just laughs at me, tells me that I'd be best to leave this place, then strolls off without even fighting us. I go look up the stat block later that evening for the Dry Lich and it turns out it's a really powerful monster! How the hell am I supposed to deal with a monster that can literally cheat and stun me for no reason whatsoever?

The final straw: Game night comes and I get separated from the party when we're raiding a tomb, and fall down a trapdoor. Lo and behold I land in a chamber with a giant armored undead spider thing that starts kicking my ass. I try to turn tail and run and get out of there but the thing is faster than me (somehow, which doesn't make sense I'm a gnoll running fast is something I should be able to do well) and I get webbed and strung from the ceiling. Now I'm probably going to die next session from whatever insane crap the DM is cooking up while the rest of the party is upstairs looting and whatnot.
(cont)

All of this seems to have started because I was feeling bad and wanted someone to talk to so I talked to my dm (who is my friend) and told him that I wasn't feeling too good and I was unhappy with my character because it's not as strong as everyone else's. Just because I want to be stronger doesn't mean the DM should be going out of his way to kill me for no reason. That's why I'm here, does anyone have any advice on how I could beat the DM at his own game? Ways I could do really tricky things to just one-up whatever garbage he throws at me? He's a good friend but as a DM this is just insane that he's trying to kill me off just because I'm playing a gnoll that happens to be similar to my avatar/persona. I don't appreciate him doing this and I just want to show him that what he's doing is not right and if I can beat him at his own game it will probably be the best thing to do.

>Gnoll paladin

Yeah, if I were your gm I'd try killing you, too

uncalled for. please stop shitposting.

> he's trying to kill me off just because I'm playing a gnoll that happens to be similar to my avatar/persona
> gnoll that happens to be similar to my avatar/persona
> gnoll... similiar to my... persona
Did you just imply that you're a furry and you're playing as your fursona?

>posting on Veeky Forums
>having thin skin
I think it's in your best interests to pick one.

2 examples of the DM not killing me are proof the DM is trying to kill my character!

The lich didn't even try to kill you, just left you alone. Are you sure these aren't just plot points?

>shitposting
>not providing helpful feedback
Pick one.

Oh yeah just threatening my character over and over again with certain death. I bet you're one of those crappy 5e casuals who are perfectly fine with throwing away a character you've sank months into just because they're generic cookie cutter disposable trash.

It's d&d. Characters die and the gm will throw you nasty surprises. But seriously, your first two "examples" barely did anything to you but you're taking them as proof that the gm has it in for you, which makes me think your third example is really just you getting hit once or twice and freaking out.

But seriously, why the hell are you using your fursona? I'd want to kill that shit too

>crying about threat of death in fantasy rpg
Are you the precious flower type that wants everything to go perfectly with no real risk?

The best characters are extensions of yourself because you're able to become fully immersed in the character and have attachment to it. D&D is a game about fantasy life and living as a fantasy person. It's no different than how you watch anime and project yourself onto the main protagonist, except that in this case I'm the main protagonist of the game and I have control of myself instead of following a set script in a tv show.

Theres a different between Risk and Reward and being forced to die. The DM's game is like being rounded up on the right-wing death squad trains and being sent to die by trump just because I'm different.

>The DM's game is like being rounded up on the right-wing death squad trains and being sent to die by trump just because I'm different.
Why do I have this feeling this is something you worry a lot about?

>Oh yeah just threatening my character over and over again with certain death. I bet you're one of those crappy 5e casuals who are perfectly fine with throwing away a character you've sank months into just because they're generic cookie cutter disposable trash.
PATHFAG ON THE WARPATH

SHITPOSTER ON THE WARPATH

Why do you care?

Jesus Christ, is this bait?

Buddy, I got news for you. We're not going to help you with Shit. As far as we're concerned you're the problem simply by being a furry. Anything besides that just sounds like a Furvert whining about how he's not having a good time because reasons and furries. We'd probably side with your GM more than you.

You want help with this problem? Go to Reddit, they're liberal enough to take you seriously, but aren't too Tumblr to be a complete hugbox.

You're an asshole and you're exactly the reason why this stupid website is on the decline. People like you who are just toxic scummy motherfuckers need to just grow the hell up and die already instead of making this place even more worsed than it already is. Fuck you.

Sure looks like it!

So, you "almost die" twice (ie you were barely touched and in either very winnable situation or not in danger at all) and then you think a potentially fatal situation for a single character means that the GM is the equivalent of a fascist death squad? I mean, from the impression you're giving me you're just being a baby about taking 2 damage from something surprising.

I don't think d&d is your game, man.

>I can't enjoy my character enough to roleplay properly
>therefore I must do everything in my power to shitpost and call any genuine enjoyment of things "bait"
kys

Why would the DM focus fire on the paladin though unless he was TRYING to kill him?

> tfw this bait is so stupid, it goes full circle and becomes glorious

I'm just saying exactly how the rest of the board is going to react. You want my personal input? Man the fuck up and confront your GM, and the rest of your group with everything you've told us. If they're willing to comply, great, but more likely you're going to have to find your own group to play with that shares your view on this more.

Whatever this stupid board is crap I don't know why I even thought posting here would be a good idea. I have been a long-time lurker and I have commented a bit on people's post to try to make this place better and this is how I'm met with hostility when I'm just trying to get some actual help.

I'm not looking to confront the GM he is my friend. I just want to be able to beat him at his own stupid game because he is an asshole.

>Trying to solve an OOC problem in-game.
Congratulations! You failed at handling this maturely and responsibly, now we get to screencap this thread when you blow up and mock you every so often.

Sholk you whiny furry fuck get your stupid fursona out of here.

not him but...

>OOC problem
>DM is deliberately throwing overpowered things my way and is outright assaulting my character

I don't think you know what OOC means user...

>I don't want to confront my friend
>I just want to cry my way out of a tense situation that may require clever thinking or manning the fuck up
>My DM friend is such an asshole for making tension
>fuck you guys for not agreeing that my fursona is something worth preserving at all costs

Either this is bait, and it's funny, or it isn't and that's funny too.

Either way you're retarded though.

>The DM assaulting my character is a problem
What were you expecting?

>Did you just imply that you're a furry and you're playing as your fursona?
I swear I've seen a thread where this happened before.

Why are there so many people making such a huge deal about furries in this thread? Who gives a fuck if he's a furry?

It's exactly like I said. You're a furry, therefore it's our job to mock you.

On the other hand, we'll absolutely derail a thread because some user wants to find himself a Domme Girlfriend, suggesting to him all sorts of dating sites, methods of meeting the right girl, etc.

It's simply an opposition in interests. That's board politics for you.

don't make a character based around a fetish. that's why it's a problem. it's not a personality trait or lifestyle, it's a fetish.

Because they seldom make for good characters and/or roleplayers. Tell you what, if OP posts his characters full backstory, and it manages not to be cringe, we could treat this like any other character issue.

>implying it's a fetish
You're a sick fuck, user. My avatar is not a fetish, it's just an extension of who I am. Seek help.

K, first, your dm used the rules that are on the books. Reread detect evil. High level evils fuck shit up just by b ing detected. It's kind like opening your eyes to look around and having a sun lamp already pointed in your face.
Vampires reform if not finished properly, sounds like you beat them and then didn't finish the job properly, your characters just learned something about fighting vampires and you have a story out of it.
Third: why didn't your party help when you fell in the pit? That shit is on your party, not the dm. If they seriously were like "lol goblin in a pit, let's loot while he screams for help!" Then you have a case against them and are right in feeling butt hurt. If this did happen they probably did it for a reason or two though.
Fourth: how long have you lurked if this isn't bait?

We didn't until he made it a point that his character is his "avatar". The more this goes on, the more of a caricature he becomes.

Lets hope we get something good outta him cause we don't fall for his furry "the gm is wrong im right" bait

nah dude. a fursona is a fetish.

From glancing at the thread trying to avoid reading his awful formatting despite morbid curiosity he just seems to be an asshole in general, furry is just another place to hit him.

I was a gnoll living in a society on the edge of human lands. We were relatively peaceful, our hunting grounds were considered sacred to us and we knew we did not stand a chance to fight against the humans because of their superior technology and weaponry so we avoided them generally. However, adventurers be adventuring, and one day while out hunting our pack was ambushed by a party of adventurers looking to make a name for themselves by bringing back monsters for trade in the human slaver markets. I was separated from my brothers and was transported to a port town and sent on a boat to be sold into slavery. On the voyage, the boat I was on was attacked by an emperial vessel out hunting for slavers, pirates and other illict goods traders. I was rescued and taken back to the grand imperial city where I was allowed to go free and make something of myself. Seeing how powerful the order of paladins were I chose to apply and join their ranks, hoping I could grow strong enough to find my brothers and save our families before we were all wiped out, or worse...

Holy Shit this isn't bait.

>gnoll
>relatively peaceful
>setting up tragic backstory

Holy shit. It's not even done and I'm getting a very strong feeling you're That Guy

Alright, that does it. I legitimately can't tell if this guy is for real or a master troll.

Either way, this thread is hilarious.

That adds up Jerry!

I agree. But I'm still fairly certain this whole thread is troll bait and now feel bad for posting in it by giving it attention. I saw it when it had 0 replies and wanted to respond - came back to... basically expecting this.

That being said if OP is genuine, he or she is just thin skinned and unreasonable - you will NOT beat the DM at his game, remember, the DM is literally God in your gameworld - the best you can do is try to be a min-maxer power gamer to get the most out of your character to better deal with what's thrown at you - as long as you aren't an ass about it, having a mechanically solid hero is great. Regardless, the first two examples don't really seem like your player getting singled out. You're the Paladin, you should be fuckin' up the undead / target of most damage. In my last big fight our fighter "got picked on" by the DM and took 100+ damage and was saved with repetitive healing / buffs from party. You don't like the part the DM and party expects you to play is what I'm reading

Seriously, you are asking why the UNDEAD would focus on a multiclassed PALADIN/CLERIC. Undead upwards from zombies are usually not mindless.
Also, half the shit you wrote down are general adventuring stuff, like falling down a trap door to a spider. That's one of the most basic traps a DM could think of.
Also, the fact that healing potions don't get rid of negative levels are in the rules. You really should read them. Trust me, it helps if you actually know what you're doing.

PS.: I really don't care if you're a furry or whatever, I just generally dislike people who complain about stuff withou thinking them through.

... my first mission with the paladins was to deal with a small group of undead being risen by a lich in the southern towns, who was preying on the villagers there to use as his subjects in unlife. by thetime we had gotten there though only a few people were left and the situation had gotten bad. though we fought bravely only myself and two others and one of the villagers made it out and I swore and oath against evil and undead, that I would train harder and avenge my paladin bretheren. I grew stronger from training and prayed every day, and eventually after years became powerful enough to finally make a difference in the world. the hardest part of it was having to face my fallen brothers who had become the necromancer's puppets, having to slay them. but they were not my brothers anymore, and I was bound to my duty as a paladin to slay them all. As i killed the necromancer my resolve steeled and I knew what I had to do - it was my duty to cleanse the land of all evil and blasphemy of life. Hearing tales of a vampire lord building an empire in the west, I grouped up with some adventurers heading that way (our party) and we went onwards to stop this evil before it was too late.

That's the DM bringing his OOC problems IC. The base problem as he seems to see it is the DM being weirded out by the furfag playing out his fetish. That's not an IC problem. Hence, it needs to be dealt with OOC.

Its just overwhelming though. I feel like I'm not going to be able to do good enough and that not only is the party going to die, but I'm going to die as well, losing everything I've invested into this character and my story. and It will all be on me for not being good enough to stop it from happening, but the DM is just making it too hard to do anything about it I guess.

>Muh first mishun was to keel lich

Okay, this started off pretty funny. Now it's just becoming painful

Yeah and you can do better?

Strewth, OP can't write for shit.

post YOUR back story then Stephanie Meyer if you're so goddam cocky. And it better be more than two sentences too

>paladin/cleric
>Doesn't like that he's the weakest
>barb/monk is also in party

How are you this bad at d&d?

im 100% most of tg can do better then "I EM GNULL PELEDEN I AM GEED GEY I SE LEECH I HEAT LEECH I HEET LEECH RRRRRRRRRREAL HURD"

>He use Twilight as a reference

its not a game about winning and loosing. it's about telling a good story. take your competitive e-sports attitude somewhere else

God, I'm bookmarking this thread. It's fucking hilarious.

Fuck yeah I can do better. Why the hell is a paladin initiate (who was a gnoll, which means that some-but-not-all adventurers hunt you for renown but then you are suddenly welcome in the imperial city) fighting a lich on his first mission? There is a thing called progression, it helps when you use it.

Whats wrong with twilight? It's a fairly well written fantasy masterpiece like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter too. Do you have something against writers who are better than you ? :)

Most of Veeky Forums can do better. We're overbearing on the Edgelord and Mary Sue memes, along with furries and Magical Realm. They're all cautionary stories told so that when it does come time to make a character, we manage to create a character free of fetish, unrealistic achievements, is decently flawed, and in general feels like a solid, playable character.

Dude dude you dont get it
its the best backstory ever and you can criticize him cause hes a furry
if he wants to say his fursona killed a lich you gotta let him or hes gonna tell his friends

I wasnt fighting a lich you dingus I was fighting a necromancer. You can be a necromancer at level 1 in d&d jesus christ learn your source material.

>Needing more than two sentences
"My character ____ is a gnoll from the peaceful ___ tribe. Caught by poachers then freed out into the imperial city, he has joined the holy order of paladins and has been sent on a mission to slay undead in the West."
Granted, I cheated a bit in adding on parts and it reads more as 4 or 5, but the point is that quantity isn't quality.

Ok, now we're back to the "is it bait or his he for real?" Question.

Level 3 and he would have 0 undead minions technically

>... my first mission with the paladins was to deal with a small group of undead being risen by a lich in the southern towns

>He doesn't even know his OWN SHITTY BACKSTORY

and see? that right there already looks pretty good. why are you shitposting about my backstory then?

that wasn't me, but stephanie meyer is a good writer regardless

BAIT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED

>"Undead being risen by a lich"

Also necromancers have to be like level 5 to raise dead. Supposing your totes-awesome furry pally was an initiate, it's still out of his league.

>Cleric/Defender of Seals
>Was once a mighty general that trusted only the strength of his steel
>laid low in a battle against the undead army that struck the land
>saved when the rays of the rising sun forced the vampire commanders to retire
>dedicated life to the radiant sun, channels fire and light to destroy undead
>uses healing power of the gods to lift up all that fight beside him
>realises now that the mettle of men is all that can defeat the undead armies.

who the fuck are you trying to reply to in that first bit.

Pull the other one. It's got bells on it.

it was a typo god forbid i make a mistake once in a while

Oh shit you're right

I take everything I said back, OP. You're a goddamn genius.

See, yeah, now it's almost certain that he's just trying to make Veeky Forums upset.

I get the feeling that OP isn't even posting anymore, just master baiters.

>cant even make a proper paragraph
>has to rely on greenspeak because he's an idiot
>character is just something from gears of war or halo
>is literally dudebro doritos tier
>sounds like something out of symphony of the night too

Wow i did not consider this
OP SCREEN CAP OF YOU RESPONDING TO YOUR BACKSTORY POST

Check and mate.

if it will stop the shitposting so we can get back to trying to help me figure out what i can do, okay.

No, typing "Lick" instead of Lich would have been a typo.

The difference between "Lich" and "Necromancer" is pretty wide on paper

there. you happy?

Dude, there are over 80 posts in this thread, and about 90% of people that will see this thread are going to hate you just for being a furry. There is no way you are getting any help here.

why does being a furry have to make such a huge difference? cant you just ignore that and just focus on the actual issue? why are you people so insecure that you have to focus on one tiny minute insignificant detail about someone to the point of anal fixation?

This is probably a reply to this:And it's too late. We're too far gone. It's over. We're either going to try and educate you on everything you're doing wrong from social confrontation to character build to backstory, or we're just going to sit here and try and get more bits of furtarded rants we can screencap for shots and giggles later on.

Because of this:

just see forget about everything else just give me some actual damn solid advice? i dont want to ruin the game or ruin my friendship with the dm. at this point im starting to think it might just be a good idea to give up and leave the game.

Yes i am happy
Now for the same advice

Never play a fursona in a roleplaying game because you want everything perfect because your a thin skined furry play a idea not somthing you refer to as "extension of yourself"

If 1 your dm is trying to kill you You deserve it imo you put your fursona in the game

but its also possible hes literaly just creating tension and your actually just a little bitch

From what you've posted, it doesn't really seem like he's trying to intentionally kill you.

I personally don't give a shit about it, I'm just pointing out the obvious.
Also, what this guys said:

Also what this guy said hope sombody is saving this thread so i can look back on this later

>"Yu guise onlee maek fun cuz I liek anmal dick"
>ignores that he's been a whiny git about 3 not-really-deady encounters
>and his really shitty backstory
>and his attempts to justify himself and get help when he's the problem

so youre saying i should just stick it out then and see what happens? i guess death doesnt matter in the game since its not actually canon to my persona's story, I should think of it less as an adventure I am in and just an alternate reality kind of situation. thanks, that's actually pretty helpful user!