ITT: That book

ITT: That book.

Post any/all books that invite scorn. Can be from any RPG.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8TLlbVW-VA0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You beat me to it, friend. That book was garbage.

I present to you: the most effective autism siren-call that has ever been put into print in this world or any other. So damaging were its effects that's the hobby is still recovering.

The silver lining is that pathfinder has basically become a huge autism quarantine zone.

Do you like a foundation of rules bloat that you can build even more rules bloat onto?

Nah, autism is never contained on Veeky Forums. /pfg/ stands for Perverted Fantasy General. It's /d/-lite.

I don't mean the general, I mean the game as a whole

Good thing that book wasn't canon the day after it came out. White wolf murdered that whole book.

I'd love to the know the story of the production behind that thing. The team that put it together was seriously on some kind of retcon power-trip. I mean, it took all the established canon and kind of threw it all out the window for no real narrative reason.

From what IanW posted in the /wodg/ a few years back, basically it was an attempt to make something like the book of vile darkness attempted but failed equally. Was supposed to be this terribly evil thing and it backfired hard.

The V20 version of this book also has the Viscissitude as an evil spirit thing, but it's not so much the same thing. Basically no one knows what the fuck it is and it's possibly the spirit of the discipline that's doing it. But not all Viscissitude users are affected, so it's probably some Umbra/Wyrm shit that's spreading via Viscissitude. There's like 3 theories given in the book.

What is it?

Enlight make right

You're gonna have to give me some background here, buddy

At least it can be enjoyed ironically, and it gave us "anal circumference."

Now Rahowa, on the other hand...

I'd rather let that die in obscurity.

Then again, it gave us this, for which there is no excuse:
youtube.com/watch?v=8TLlbVW-VA0

It's not even funny as parody. Literally every basement black metal band is better than that fetid pile of shite.

Why yes I do.

Blue Rose was touted at the time as the feminist RPG.
Unfortunately, it's setting builds itself on strawmen evil conservative countries besieging the one bastion of tolerant enlightenment. It further digs it's own grave by giving the other countries actual reasons for them adopting the governments it does while blindly highlighting the hypocrisy of the great magical PC nation, which engages in such atrocities as mind rape if you don't share their views.
It's sort of like if tumblr wrote a Chick tract.

Not a WOD player. Mind explaining?

I literally cannot accept the idea that anyone took this seriously

Yes, but why did you post Pokemon?

Err... responding to

the worst part is I actually have a copy of this

I really don't understand why people hate Pathfinder so much

Blue Rose was a True20 game from Green Ronin. True20 basically tried to sorta fix the d20 Licensed Setting problem: Shit doesn't fucking work when you take something that wasn't written as a D&D fantasy and try to make it a D&D setting.
Needless to say, True20 fucking failed, even through it did give us M&M. And Blue Rose was a failure. Ever read Mercedes Lackey? NobleBright, chosen heroes, obvious hero government, excellent characterization (except Talia and Elspeth...)? It tried to create the RPG for that. It fucking failed. Noticing a trend here?
I could make a better Blue Rose game using Exalted.

Mostly because it's pretty bad. It being hailed as the savior of RPGs by some certainly helps though.

I've only ever had fun playing Pathfinder, what makes it "bad" because it's certainly better than a lot of other systems I've played

user from Is also right. They put so much fucking bullshit into the game to force players to 1) not murderhobo and 2) play for the PC nation. And oh yeah, it was supposed to be the Heralds of Valdemar RPG, but the fact that it had the bullshit got the licensed yanked because Misty has gone murderhoboing herself a few times.

And might as well contribute.

>supposed to be the Heralds of Valdemar RPG
That sounds pretty cool. I liked the setting. It's been years since I read any of it though. Who is Misty?

But yeah, from the sound of it they failed spectacularly. There are a lot of nations in the setting and they aren't all so hostile that no one could work together for different things. A Rethwellan Mage, Karse Priest (depending on when it's set), and a Herald adventuring for w/e reason sounds fun. Maybe band together to stop the barbarians from invading again or something.

It mostly exasperated the problems of 3.5. The developers had a chance to fix what was inherently wrong with the system, such as balance issues, trap options, and poorly worded rules. They not only ignored these issues, but actively made them worse in some cases.

Misty is Mercedes Lackey's nickname. And she played a lot of AD&D. In fact, she and George Martin got their settings from campaigns set in the same setting: Birthright. Which is the first mention of a throne, named the Iron Throne, forged from the melted down swords of those the first Emperor of a nation had beaten. The Iron Throne features in both Valdemar (an eastern Empire that Baron Valdemar was fleeing) and GoT. Interestingly enough, three uses of a copyrighted material with no attempt to defend the material makes it public domain.

>I could make a better Blue Rose game using Exalted.

Is there something wrong with Exalted or are you just using that as an example?

Because people disliked 3.5 and pathfinder really is just more 3.5. Also due to the unfortunate shit that is paizoland and /pfg/ they have garnered a combined infamy of having perverted weebs as a player base and a group of sycophants as a player base. As with almost any system it can be fun and is considerably more balanced that 3.5 was (still horribly unbalanced, but anything is an improvement over the reign of CoDzillas and fighters only good side being that they make a nice class for monsters with class levels) with the right people and homebrewing. Really, it's just the Veeky Forums mentality of being only able to either praise a system to high heavens or hate it because X people play it (may it be the autistic weebs who like PF, the autistic weebs who like 4th edition, the autistic weebs and casuals who like 5e, the autistic basement dwellers who like 40k over fantasy battles, the autistic basement grognards who prefer fantasy battle over 40k. The list goes on).

>Misty is her nickname
Alright, I thought so from the context. Just wanted to be sure.

>She and George Martin got their ideas from RPG games
Now that's cool. I've noticed other authors I like did similar, such as Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont. The Iron Throne bit is also an interesting fact. You learn something new every day.

Balance issues? I'm not sure what you mean by this. Like martial and magic balancing? Because it's unreasonable to expect a fighter to be as powerful as a wizard past a certain point.

No, it isn't unreasonable for classes of the same level to have a roughly equal level of power. That's the fundamental purpose of a level system.

No, it's that Exalted does the entire CHOSEN PALADINS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS concept much better than any d20 product has ever done (d20 cannot survive role overlap, and Exalted can), and that is what lay at the core of the source material Blue Rose drew from.

Oh boy, it's that time of night again.

That's nice, kiddo. Remember, it's a school night, so you should probably get to sleep soon. Have mommy make you some warm milk so those bad men on Veeky Forums don't interrupt your beauty sleep.

Sheer autism, mostly.

This is a tome of utter insanity.

is it a fantasy mash-up of Atlanta and Asia?

This one was awful.

It added a ton of edgy (even by 90's WoD standards) crap, had some really poorly put together rules (again, even by old standards), and it made a lot of the more interesting stuff in the setting and metaplot non-canon on top of introducing utterly retarded shit like the discipline of Vicissitude not a discipline but actually an alien space virus... Or am evil spirit... Or basically anything other than what it had been before (fleshwarping as taught by one of the worst demons ever.)

No, it's six hundred pages (with no index or table of contents) of one of the worst fantasy heartbreakers out there. It's completely unplayable, and I'm absolutely serious about saying that. The setting is one of the worst I've ever read, but it's buried in the book and hard to find.

I had to homebrew some of the character creation because it's not functional, it has no rules for movement, no rules for range, turbo-Kender, randomised hit locations, no unarmed rules, swingy damage, explosive whips, no sense of balance, and cosmic dragon sex as a existential threat to the world.
I've ran fights in this, and I've had level one characters trip, impale themselves on their weapon, and die in the very first round of combat. It's not even a freak occurrence, it's perfect common for fighters to constantly stumble and injure themselves or destroy their weapon.

While you are correct, don't forget that not all level systems are an exact 1-1 power equivalency for all classes. In AD&D 1e for example, a level 4 magic-user was roughly equivalent to a level 6 or 7 Thief. In cases like these it is not level that all classes are balanced by, but XP total. Almost no popular modern games (barring OSR stuff of course) do this however.

Getting this booty flustered over a game

No one has mentioned the one true bait

Even then, gamey systems should attempt to acheive some sense of asymmetrical balance, which 3.x games don't even try.

honestly, that was a concept that came later on when it was realized that imbalance is a deterrent to fun by anyone but people with an autistic level of loyalty to the product.

0/10.
Every game out there has 3rd edition to thank for revitalizing the industry, and it took 2e and modernized the fuck out of it. Its a landmark title that will continue to define the industry, and serves as a corner stone for the best games on the market right now.

Just ignore the trolls. There's a few really obsessed idiots who can't help but get upset about how popular the game they don't like continues to be.

Part of that was the OGL, allowing for a massive flood of licensed products that didn't have to go through the devs. And look at how much crap that produced, like

Hey, DragonMech has giant slave powered orc robots fighting eldritch abominations dragons. Shit was so cash.

Thats a fallacy. Just becasue the game you have a hard-on happened to be the one doesn't mean it couldn't have been something else.

DragonMech wasn't a licensed product RPG - it was built from the ground up from d20 to showcase SHEER AWESOME.

It's good at what it does : squeezing a little money from autists and triggering people. I don't think it was meant to be anything else than a bait.

amusingly, this could be said about any product based on the d20 system.

>3E
>Revitalizing the Industry

Bullshit. The OGL opened the floodgates to a torrent of horribly designed, poorly playtested shit, based on half-baked ideas that nearly drowned an industry already struggling with the MMORPG craze sucking the playerbase dry.

Really the MMORPG craze is almost entirely to blame for any apparent decline in tabletop gaming during the 2000's. Tabletop gaming's meteoric recovery since circa 2008 is largely due to people finally waking up, realizing that MMORPGs are soul-destroying timesinks and quitting them en masse.

Plus MMORPG's tend to be expensive. That's before you consider materials needed to play. You need a hell of a lot less to run a TTRPG versus playing a MMORPG.

Never heard of it. What makes it so bad?

Where you the user who ran that tournament with the exploding whip master, and the ring of darkness elf?
That was good stuff.

Its an rpg designed by a literal neo nazi convict.
And nobody has posted the pdf here.

Yes.

I'm planning to do another small tournament soon-ish, but this time with magic users.
I'll just have to figure out the insane magic system first.

More it was written like shit and has a metric fuck ton of stupid rules. Worse than D&D or Shadowrun. Setting is also pretty meh. There was potential but it was unrealized.

This was supposedly going to be temporary, TSR was gonna do a bunch of books focusing more on the outerplanes and the fall out from this before resetting the status quo in sigil.

Then TSR went bankrupt.

You get a song stuck in your head after seeing it mentioned.

Was he a convict that also happened to be a neo-nazi, or was he convicted of being a neo-nazi? because only one of those is okay.
And in either case, did that bleed into the rules?

He stabbed someone to death and burned down at least one church, I think it was 3 but I don't remember and don't feel like looking it up. That doesn't port over to the RPG from what I've heard though, only the neonaziism.

>burned down at least one church, I think it was 3 but I don't remember and don't feel like looking it up. That doesn't port over to the RPG from what I've heard though

I ended up with a copy of it in my house from a box of gaming books I picked up in a yard sale and a month later a small church model I was making and stored in the same garage as it caught fire.

Now some might blame the faulty wiring in a nearby plug, but I made sure to get rid of the book as soon as possible after that and I never had a problem like that since.

Kristian "Varg" Vikernes is the worst edgelord to come out of Norwegian black metal. Even changed his name to Varg (Wolf) like some furry.
He was convicted for the murder of another guy in the scene. He's a massive vikingfag who hates Christianity, and burnt a total of three churches. One of them a 12th century stave church, to "commemorate" the first Viking raid on England. He's a heathen nationalist inspired by Nazi occultism.

All of these ideals are in his RPG. He describes it as a "role-playing game based on European values, geography, (pre-)history, mythology, traditions and morals, and will offer you the opportunity to play a game in accordance with your own European nature", which means that you get to be perfect not-Vikings and kill comically evil not-Muslims.
But I guess there's a market for it.

For some reason not what I expected, but it sounds like a wet dream for both sides of /pol/

>do you want burned down churches? because that's how you get burned down churches

He has a modestly popular youtube channel now that gets shitposted on /pol/ where he talks about getting back into contact with nature and simple living and rejecting the trappings of modernity.

The best part of the setting is that the whiter a race is, the more powerful they are; this is described as being a consequence of their greater capacity to absorb light and produce 'sun vitamins.'

There are no playable nonwhite races, only scraelings and darklings as cannon fodder with low stats.

Every book but the core seemed to go further off the rails but this one here, with it's furry rape monsters, was where I finally lost all hope for the system.

>this is described as being a consequence of their greater capacity to absorb light and produce 'sun vitamins.'

But that's literally the exact opposite of what white people do. What does he think melanin is for?

It is for absorbing barbarism and jewish behaviors from the environment

Obviously it hinders our natural phosphorescence

Science can not get in the way of his Viking fetish.

>failed

Dude, the kickstarter blew up for the revival. I'm getting this shit in hardcover the minute it's out.

Real talk

Attitude was pretty awful too. This is what happens when you embezzle and don't pay the writers

ELOMITE LIES

>bullshit

>expanded the player base beyond anything it have ever been, and helped bring what was a struggling niche market into a thriving industry

Just because the truth upsets you doesn't mean it's not the truth. Everyone on this board who plays roleplaying game owes a debt to 3rd edition.

Cool. Long as they dodge the shit these anons brought up.
It'd be pretty awesome to have a proper game set in the Valdemar universe. Honestly I'm tempted to write up my own rules but I wasn't even able to finish writing rules for a Fallout TTRPG.

This one is pretty infamous in a few circles. It starts off with a blurb addressing the elephant in the room that furries aren't all about sex, then runs screaming headlong into creating rules for every fetish the fandom is known for.

Wasn't this made garbage on purpose as a kind of fuck-you by the creator when he leftWW? They actually had to do a whole book to get rid of it.

There was some Black Dog thing Vampire:Some shit place in Canada. The Sabbat were pretty much running around openly with even demon worship going on. That would have brought the Sabbat Inquisition down like a nuke.

This sounds glorious. Tell you what, if someone gets me a pdf, I'll read and review it like it was FATAL.

Interestingly, everything in this image (and the author's creation of same) can be explained by untreated syphilis...

I have the 5e version. It's slightly less cringey if you keep to the racial stats and only those. The backgrounds and class archetypes are a different story, unfortunately.

Plus the shit you have to do to get ready for stuff like grinding stuff for potions, healing,whatever. I just want to stab orcs in the face for an hour, not spend another hour grinding mana potions and have my finger glued to the drink button

>Vision thru your 3rd eye will also enable you to hear the thoughts of those composed of Pheomelanin
This is some next level synesthesia

>Takes a broken game.
>Breaks it more.
>Adherents claim it's fixed.
It's basically a big "fuck you" to all the guys who complained that magic use was OP'd in 3.5 - by making magic pretty much all that exists.

It's also essentially just a pay-to-play set of house rules advertised as a whole new game, and several folks have made better, and even more extensive, house rules. (Albeit, I'm sure there's many more instances of worse and less extensive house rules, but there's nearly as many house rules as houses.)

It is one of the worst thing i have ever read, in my opinion it is quite worse than FATAL

Montreal by Night?

Oh yea, that thing.

The entire Sam Haight shitfest as well. I did read a post that said that the original idea, a kinfolk who was shit on so hard by his Father and brothers because he wasn't a Garou, would snap and do something horrid to steal skinchanger powers was a pretty good idea. Potential for stuff about how Garou have to reconsider their attitudes towards kinfolk. But then it went full shitshow with him always escaping.

Then he ended up an ashtray

I and most people around my age cut their teeth on 3rd ed, and I've moved onto other RPGs since (mainly Shadowrun)

I mean, I have my issues with the system, sure, but come the fuck on.

Devil's advocate, I thought that Tzimisce Using vicissitude to live in all his progeny was pretty interesting.

having spent a fair amount of time around srg and as much as I could stand on other shadowrun forums, that's not a compelling counter-argument as they have a bountiful complement of autists too. And now we know where they came from.