Monsterhearts: I Heard It Has Rules For Making Your Character Turn Gay Edition

Tell me about Monsterhearts, Veeky Forums.

Ever played it? Ran it? Wanted to?

Wondering because I was thinking about a sci-fi setting instead of the official Early 21st Century American High School setting.

B-bump?

I was thinking something inspired by this series

Smoochy cyborgs and gene-modded awoos instead of smoochy vampires

I'm currently running a long Monsterheats campaign, what exactly did you want to know?

Not OP, but does it really have that rule? I had it pitched to me with special notice to it apparently "not forcing you to choose an orientation" (is it okay to say gay guys trying to convince me that I am gay are extremely fucking annoying?)

> Monster hearts
> dungeon world/powered by the apocalypse systerm
> inspired by Twilight

Sometime if something tries hard enough to be bad it loops back around to being pretty good.

Call it The Produces.

Well yeah, I know that effect fairly well. I actually ended up making this ghoul (I think it was) and half-assedly goofing about in an online game but it died like one session in. What I was wondering if an actual rule to turn people gay was somewhere in there.

>if an actual
-is- if an actual rule like that exists. Too little coffee today, I swear.

I don't know. i'd say there's an even chance honestly. Like vampire the seduction rules are assumed to apply to everybody and be used liberally

There is probably a side bar lecture on about the evils of sexual conversion therapy however and why X cards are a thing.

I'll look it up depending how bored I am, you can play the the game straight (forgive the pun) but if you can't stand the idea of creepy guys hitting on you in and out of character, I have to question what you expect to get out of it

depends on the edition, in 1st ed if a PC succeeds on a Turn Someone On roll then it works regardless of who they're using it on. However this rule was changed in 2nd ed so that if the person being turned on says their character couldn't be attracted to the character in question then you use the effects of a successful Shut Someone Down instead.

Like most forms of PvP social interaction this seems to fall squarely under the rug of 'shit we shouldn't need to have rules for'

Of course the game is literally about teenagers vampires fucking so...

Gonna be honest does anyone else think it's weird how the tumble crowd seems to love this game despite it literally having sex as a power up?

It was supposed to become a deconstruction of sorts if I understood that right, sort of a self-aware parody, and the guy who was running seemed competent, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I learned better.

Well, this actually sounds okay.

Well they do always seem to be out for empowerment. Maybe it's all a lot less complicated than things appear.

>literally having sex as a power up?
depends on the skin, vampires get bonuses for not having sex, mortals cause other people problems when they have sex with a monster, for most skins it's kind of a mixed bag

>Like most forms of PvP social interaction this seems to fall squarely under the rug of 'shit we shouldn't need to have rules for'

That attitude is, IMO, kind of lazy and limiting. Saying that you're just going to freeform every social scene, in a game that is 90% social scenes and 100% about dealing with other people in stressful situations, means that you don't really want to use a ruleset at all. And having rules for those situations gives it structure and changes how the game is played, in the same way that Exalted, AD&D, and Shadowrun all make combat feel very different.

Also . Sex isn't a straight "you get better at something"; it makes your relationship with someone more complicated, which is exactly what the genre demands.

I really want to play this but the stigma of Twilight keeps my gamer friends away from it.

Why am I the only one in my circle of friends to appreciate badly written supernatural teenage romance novels

So they completely fail at any understanding of RPGs.

RPGs have rules for tactical combat, no rules for noncombat, and you only get better or you die.

Its not complicated, tumblrfags.

Just wanted to say that this post was a brilliant parody of all the things that are wrong with modern Veeky Forums. Spot-on, nice job, have another (you) on me.

Do what I did when I had a reluctant group- Set it in Latveria.

The rules for Monsterhearts transfer perfectly to any situation where you have a bunch of people who have to spend time with each other, have complicated personal relationships, and uneven power over each other and regular people (and can't settle everything by just having a big monstrous punch-up). It mapped really well to playing the ministers/high government officials in a vaguely Eastern European, post-Soviet dictatorship, where the ruling class is secretly monsters and your tinpot President for Life is actually a crazy vampire.

That's zoggin brilliant user

how do you justify members of the Latverian cabinet banging each other frequently though?

Does His Doomness have an official policy on inter-office fraternization?

>I'm currently running a long Monsterheats campaign, what exactly did you want to know?
OP here, can you give me a rundown of how a typical interaction works?

I played it for a few sessions, it was fun being a rich snekgirl torn between a stupid boy for stupid love and her race that wants to take over the world. Finding about the secret monster society of the town, going on adventures, doing the thing.

This game makes me want to watch buffy now.