Field rations, camp cooking

How much effort does you and your team put into RP for food when traveling? When's the last time your character brought a pouch of spice or salt, or a bottle of tabasco sauce? Does any of that even warrant a mention, or is it just "packed field rations for X days"?

Also does anyone have those images of all sorts of camp foods and recipes, looked pretty fantasy-inspired.

Other urls found in this thread:

bushcraftturk.tumblr.com/archive
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you're way into the fluffy aspects of cooking at camp I have a Tumblr board for you.

bushcraftturk.tumblr.com/archive

I'll dump some posted camp-meals from the last couple of months...

These are nice and all but you more with the kind of forage and rations a traveling adventurer in a medieval fantasy setting would be hauling instead of store bought kept in a cooler food?

Eh.
My last character was a Monk/Ranger who was dropped into the wilds as a trial by fire and got lost.
And thus i always skinn animals, i always take the best meat, i always extract the fat, i always take potential alchemical ingridients, i always burry the carcass to not attract predators etc.
First magic item i got was a bag of holding to store all that shit.

>sausage
>cooler-food

>wild mushrooms
>chestnuts
>not forage

I bet you think Cheese(real cheese, not cheese-products) goes bad if you take it out of the fridge for more than 4 hours.

sure, he goes overboard with the eggs, but they are also something you can basically carry around for a few days(provided it's not hot outside)

eggs and sausages are actually fairly good for travel rations, providing you can keep them safe and/or dry. Smoked or dried sausages last weeks or months, and fresh eggs can last six weeks or so if they're unwashed.

Mushrooms, like those chanterelles pictured are also pretty commonly forageable, at least in the right season.

In my Rogue Trader game I probably spend too much time composing elaborate Roman style feasts for my players. I know only really one gives a shit.

I didn't say they were ALL cooler food, just if there was MORE with the forage stuff.

Also I doubt anyone who expects to have to drop their pack and/or grapple with monsters at a moment's notice on a daily basis is going to be carrying around eggs.

And those kind of sausages are in no way the kind you don't have to refrigerate.

>but you more with
I also just noticed I retarded out there.

"but do you have more with"

The campaign I'm currently game mastering has one of the players actually play a cook. The others are a merchant, a warrior and a hunter. She gets really excited when it's time to make food every day of adventuring and it often features in her interaction with other NPCs. It works well, the other players indulge her and I try to give her a chance to use it for the story in some way every time we play. The next adventure is actually all about feeding a series of isolated mining outposts.

>Also I doubt anyone who expects to have to drop their pack and/or grapple with monsters at a moment's notice on a daily basis is going to be carrying around eggs.
not if you keep them packed in straw in the party cook-pot...just, don't THROW the pack.

>And those kind of sausages are in no way the kind you don't have to refrigerate.
guy lives and camps in places that snow hard enough that I bet he doesn't need a cooler.

Try using this as your provisioner NPC's stock list.

You're a good DM. I know I'd have a hard time giving a damn in that scenario as either a player or the DM, but I just wanted you to know that your sensitivity and kindness has been noted and appreciated.
>inb4 gay

>just, don't THROW the pack.
Again, if we're talking about adventurers in a fantasy world wandering the wilderness, getting into a tussle with giant monsters likely to pick you up and throw you a few dozen feet is a very real concern.

Though you can probably dodge a lot of those kind of packing issues with bags of holding, handy haversacks, or a fucking wagon...

>guy lives and camps in places that snow hard enough that I bet he doesn't need a cooler.
Fair enough, but that doesn't change anything about what kind of sausages those are.

I like themed real life meals that tie into the game world but going overboard on in game food descriptions is not our style. We are aiming for a more hack n slash style game less amateur thespian.

>Deli SWEEPINS: Gently used
This will never fail to launch my sides into orbit.

>Fair enough, but that doesn't change anything about what kind of sausages those are.
indeed, BUT then again, the party could just as easily carry the correct kind of sausage so the images as an idea-point are still pretty valid

for me, it's always "goat-dust"

Cured/smoked/salted meats (sausages included), campfire bread (carry the flour, mix with water and bake after making camp), biscuits, hard cheeses, nuts, mushrooms, roots/tubers (potatoes, turnips, swedes etc.), any pickled vegetable, and bulbs (onions, garlic, etc.) all lend themselves to long spells of un-refrigerated transport.

Cheese, bread, biscuit and cured meat would probably account for 95% of all the military rations ever provided to marching soldiers in all of human history, the last 5% being mostly dried and frozen mush from the last 20 years.

Fresh meat, leafy greens, fruits and eggs may not be quite so hardy, but they're all quite easily obtainable by hunting, trapping and foraging and can still be kept around for a surprisingly long time before actually going off. Modern "use by dates" are designed to avoid legal liability in freak outlier cases, remember, so they tend to err heavily on the side of caution.

>guy lives and camps in places that snow hard enough that I bet he doesn't need a cooler.
Even at the arctic circle, the temperatures can get pretty high during the summer, and there's no way these pictures were taken that far north, judging by the vegetation.

Thank you. When I plan a session I like to try to include at least one interaction, problem, social conflict or combat situation where each of them will shine in their own way, with their chosen skill set and how they have portrayed their character.

For the same reason I take small mental notes in what they prioritize while playing and what seems to pique their interest.

I didn't use to do this at all but I really feel a difference in appreciation from the players since I went from "standard planning" to player focused planning.

I have one campaign where I don't do this at all though, because I really don't think my other group would like it. They're more of getting a world with a series of events and having to adapt and overcome, not necessarily having me cater specifically to their characters, which can indeed feel a bit "unrealistic". I mean, how often can I plausibly weave in cooking in a monster hunting campaign, in a good and meaningful way to the story?

The first group, however, readily suspends disbelief because they want to make the cook happy.

That's not what I was asking.

Those are all foods that don't require a cooler, can be easily transported, and would be readily available to a medieval traveller in any vaguely habitable temperate environment.

Isn't that what you were looking for?

This thread pleases me

No, I was looking for pictures. Not what I already know.

>Implying people bother with superflous shit like this
>Implying it's nothing else than slowing down
>Implying it's important in any way for anyone

Also, you keep making those threads way too often

We do the camping part pretty extensively. I don't describe the food nearly as much as I should, but the aspect of setting up camp and all that entails is handled pretty well.

The players got in to it when I first introduced the concept of detailing what they did at night while traveling and now they get excited over it.

I doubt 6 beans on a spoon is going to feed a hungry adventurer...

Nigga you blind?

dude, those are eggs

>Being too dumb to get the joke
Lurk more

>How not to use your mess kit
>Waste of sausage and egg
>Can't cook for shit
>Waste of eggs, hard to divide, lack of taste
>Being really, REALLY desperate
>Another moron who can't make fucking eggs. Jesus fucking Christ, it's not a rocket science
>Wasting eggs and beans, making it all together so it has shit taste in the end
>Another cunt can't make eggs... sigh...
>Let's waste 20 eggs, who cares!
>Still being really desperate
>I can't carve meat

This is what you get when bunch of pretentious assholes goes camping, showing their "survival edge". And it takes to be literally and medically retarded to have problems with making eggs over a campfire.

>Let's waste 20 eggs, who cares!
This one should go to Also
>I like my shrooms extra crispy

Whoever did all of those shots - learn to fucking cook, you moron. I mean a fucking high schooler is more capable when it comes to using sausage and eggs. Or remembers about such non-important thing like making your food fucking tasty, rather than a shit-tier gruel

>Can't tell the difference between a few oyster mushrooms from "20 eggs"

Addendum...

We had whole sessions consisting entirely of food descriptions and bathing in filthy rivers. .

Sounds like the perfect session.

>Implying people don't play RPGs for different reasons

While I can't speak for everyone I've been gaming since 1989. I've met all sorts in my travels but have yet to meet a food role player. I mean one that loves elaborate food and cooking roleplaying interaction is thier primary motivation.

Most folks want to kill monsters, get treasure, solve mysteries, growth thier character.

I love to cook and amsomethjng of a foodie but talking about foods totally lacks unless I can actually make and/or taste them.

Read some Redwall if you want to learn to appreciate elaborate and detailed descriptions of food.

>tfw you're going to be DMing a comfy DnD campaign in a couple of months about travel, camping, and exploring old ruins

I have found about 1/2 the opposite. That is, I haven't found anyone who is focused on that. But what I have found is that nearly everyone enjoys a touch of it. The feast, the description of that one meal, that sort of thing.

An entire campaign focused on nothing but food and cooking would probably find few takers or few that would stay with it. But I think that most DM's would find that adding a camp fire nights description or a tavern feast now and then would add greatly to their campaign.

My Half Orc fighter. is a master Chef. It's some pretty integral roleplay, actually. Pretty fun.

>adding a camp fire nights description or a tavern feast now and then would add greatly to their campaign
For sure.
>A hyper-autistic OCD breakdown of survival cooking
No.

Still not gonna be half that good as watching it actually being done.

Like the first user said - superflous

Then use google image search you useless fuck.

>A hyper-autistic OCD breakdown of survival cooking
I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

Can anyone explain me the FUCK this thread has to do with traditional games?

Aside being of course a daily batch of autistic sperging about shit that never happens in games, because nobody is actually that autistic among real, flesh and bone players.

Funny, because the thread is dedicated to that subject

Not seeing it. One guy talked about describing feasts in his game, another about a player who was a cook and talked to NPCs about cooking and was humored by the other players, I mention adding a bit here and there based on my DM experience. Not seeing where you are getting this autism thing from.

>Aside being of course a daily batch of autistic sperging about shit that never happens in games, because nobody is actually that autistic among real, flesh and bone players.

There are a number of people here who have described using food descriptions in games. Why do you seem so threatened by this concept?

No need to get all pissy because your attempt to look smarter than you are failed. Maybe next time try following a conversation to figure out its context before butting in and looking like an asshole.

I'm threatened with the constant drop of quality on this board. Threads like this contribute to the "effort" of making things worse.

And last time I've checked, THREE posters (assuming those were different people) in this thread confirmed doing shit shit. I'm playing for past 16 years, doing pretty much all genres aside shitty space operas. And I never found a player nor GM bothering with this pointless crap. To make the point even more standing out, the guy running TTRPG section in a youth centre when I was a teen was a cafeteria cook. Food was last thing he wanted to talk about.

In short - piss off. It's the same shit as "wat du" threads. A pointless, tired bullshit that has zero relation with the hobby. If you enjoy autistic descriptions of food eaten by characters - be my fucking guest.
But don't take thread space on Veeky Forums

wow, somebodies a big fat grumpy-guts

>Haha, let's resort to childish name calling!
Not even him, but if you are OP, you should know you are fucking disgusting and no amout of cheap eristics will change that.

>I'm playing for past 16 years
Unless you started playing prior to being born I seriously doubt that is the case - judging by your speech.

Regardless, RPGs take up a great bit of diversity in play. Many people do many different things. It isn't exactly crazy that people might be interested in expanding their play experiences or the experiences of their players. Putting some detail in to a celebration feast isn't exactly outside the realm of possible for an RPG.

In general, I would say that threads like this greatly add to the level of quality of the board.

Well when we do travel without magic and that happens, my Kind of Ranger/Druid Elf is the only one in the party who has skilled Cooking, so he hunts the food and cooks it. And he is really good at it - given that it is one of his twoo hobbys. Painting being the other...

>things I'm not personally interested in make the board bad!
If you want to improve the quality of Veeky Forums, leave and never come back.

>but if you are OP
nah, I was just making light of anons clear anger that people might do(or want to do) things in ways he has yet to experience.

never really a point to speculating about age out here...

>I would say that threads like this greatly add to the level of quality of the board.
agreed, and even if user thinks not. at least they aren't "will you sign my petition" or "elf slave what do" or "katanas are underpowered" or "Stat-me"

>This extremely peripherial aspect of the hobby is what I consider a norm
>Why everyone is giving me a weird looks

Let me think... because you act like your stupid food fetish is a norm?

>I would say that threads like this greatly add to the level of quality of the board.
With what exactly and how? Because it adds exactly what? Aside probably some shit in tune of "more diversity". For me it's more like "more shitposting unrelated with the hobby".

Do you SERIOUSLY think people are playing games to hear about descriptions of imaginary food served by imaginary cooks? What's your fucking childchood background? Third world kid that starved most of the time, so he had to imagine all the stuff he would eat?
NOBODY CARES about this shit at the table. People are there usually to blow up some steam. This means autistic descriptions don't mean shit for them, be it food, trasures or fair maidens.

I've got a solution for you, thou.
Start playing text-based RPGs. You will feel like in home, because they are ENTIRELY about describing shit, since people out there are mostly focused on writing novels.
But shit like this simply doesn't work at the table. Especially if you are grown-up person and actually feed your players before the game starts/make a break for a dinner.

>Things absolutely and completely unrelated with traditional games are good to post on Veeky Forums
If you want to improve the quality of Veeky Forums, leave and never come back.

>"more shitposting unrelated with the hobby"
Funny, that's all your posts in this thread have amounted to.

Yes, because taking space with shitty threads is what truly helps this board.

>S-stop hating my retardation
>N-no user-kun, you are wrong
>I-I am contributing
Neck yourself already

>I'm playing for the last 16 years
oh here we go-
>pretty much all genres aside shitty space operas
>bothering with this pointless crap
>To make the point even more standing out
>A pointless, tired bullshit
are you Russian or retarded or just underage? I really can't tell.

But you're right, there has been a serious drop in quality on this board: a million generals and nothing lighthearted or even humorous inbetween, with a million spergs prancing about with thrice the usual enthusiasm, plying their mating call about the board "NO FUN ALLOWED! NO FUN ALLOWED!"; Derailing comfy threads with their autistic screeching, bitching about everyone else talking about things they don't have an interest in, and generally being that one downsie kid at summer camp that got stuck in your cabin every year and scared all the other cabins off with his shit-slinging antics.

If you want to play board police, /pol/ is currently full of shitposting newfags and we'd be glad to have you. But please, do Veeky Forums a favor and stop posting this blatant, retarded bait.

We see a lot of that. Because we are in an outdoor based campaign there is a ton of travel, so we see a lot of overnight stays in the spooky forest. Everyone does something.

>kid at summer
might be he's on his winter break?

>Why are they hating me so much
Because you have no place on this board

Not him, but posting crying babies is as stupid as his bitching about this thread, you stupid cunt. Not sure what's worse - autism this thread presents, newfags thinking they can police shit threads or the shitposters counter-attacking.

And this was such a nice collection of camping pictures

>Superflous thread about superflous shit that never happens in games
>HURRR YOU HATE FUN DURRRR
No, I hate stupid threads like this one.

>Not him
Uh huh

so instead of hiding the thread, you come here to bitch(and bump)

you must secretly enjoy this stuff, you clearly want it to stay on the board for longer...

>Derailing comfy threads with their autistic screeching, bitching about everyone else talking about things they don't have an interest in, and generally being that one downsie kid at summer camp that got stuck in your cabin every year and scared all the other cabins off with his shit-slinging antics.
user, this thread was neither comfy not related with the hobby. Deal with consequences. And grow a fucking pair if you can't deal with random shitposting in your beloved thread.

It happened with me.

Your argument is now invalid. You may leave.

Hiding thead doesn't make it disappear and people running them tired of returning next week with another batch of the same shit.
But if you have a mind of a crying baby (sure a nice supply of family photos), then sure, closing your eyes make the bad things disappear

>One exception make a rule
You can now eat a bullet.

There are, maybe two, people who are having fits because this thread somehow appears to challenge their masculinity. There would appear to be a decent number of people who have included these elements in their games and are interested in doing more/better.

I doubt it. There wasn't childish use of profanity in his post.

But to his point, the cry baby thing while amusing (and accurate) really was unnecessary. Should probably cut it out.

>family photos
nah, pictures of other people's camping food.

OP asked for pics and thoughts over out-door cooking, I found this Tumblr page a week ago, and thought it went well so I posted a few things off it.

>But if you have a mind of a crying baby
man...I namefag, babies irritate me.
different guy posting the babies

>Underage
>Russian
>Retarded
>Afraid about their musculinity
Any more insults?

How about embracing the sad reality that it's you who is the insecure faggot here, scared witless that people react badly to his stupid shit?

>Should probably cut it out.
It's probably better to just let him rant and rave to himself and keep bumping (what started out as) a good thread anyway.

>This entire thread

>N-no, we are the majority
>I-it's just one guy pestering us
>S-stop it, you evil you!

Stop making those threads every Wednesday then

Can I join!?

not quite trail food, but, something you might have along camping

Probably would be best. OP asked some good questions.

One of which, are these the photo's he was talking about?

Myself, I think if you just do the 'packed field rations for X days' and nothing else you are missing an opportunity to add depth to your play.

>Flatbread
>Not quite trail food
user, I'm not sure have you've been ever camping or hiking without use on canned preserves or some "hyper-survivalist" foraging for acorns and roots.