I'm still rather new to 40k, but I'm curious about something...

I'm still rather new to 40k, but I'm curious about something. I swear somewhere I read once that the lightning on the Night Lord's armor Actually moves around on the armor. Is that true or am I just making shit up in my head?

Also, NL general I suppose

This definitely couldn't have been asked in the 40k general. It's usually painted on to their armour but there are a couple descriptions of actual lightning crackling over them so that has happened at least once. The latter is definitely not the norm.

Its probably both, its painted and they have modified their armor so that it actually has lighting crackling on it.

Also it might be Warp/Daemonic thing that makes it "alive". Depends on the author.

I like to think that it's usually painted but it's real on those more warped.

In the old fluff it was actual lighning. Now they are the edgy Chaos-hating Chaos Marines and the lightning is painted on most of them, but the warbands are getting more and more corrupted and on in case of those strongly warped the lightning is often real, as in warp-caused.

I always just imagined their armor was kinda like thoseround flat things with the electricity arcing inside it The ones they used all the time when they were in borg ships on star trek. I don't know what they're called.

It's actual lightning generated with their power armor. Some don't use it, some do.

How is actual lightning less edgy than painted lightning?

Originally it was warp lightning.

Then ADB decided it was painted on because he is the king unquestionable edgelord and the font of all wisdom and taste, aside from a daemon prince who has actual warp lightning.

Then FW decided it was sub-dermal arc technology that coated the power armour which mimicked moving lightning.

Meanwhile artists almost universally paint it as actual lightning leaving the armour plates, even on book covers that specifically say otherwise.

So to answer your question its an inconsistent mess as with alot of things.

Don't forget the venerable NL dreadnought who had all his armour plates covered in pict screens that showed a never ending loop of his victims screaming faces and the tortures inflicted upon them.

I like imagine that one as an old Terran marine trying to connect with the younger Nostraman generation of his legion by going full edgy.
And all the other Night Lords thinking that he was just trying too hard.

IIrc, as of newest fluff (HH fluff), the lightning is actually holographic, though in 40k it could be actual lightning from Chaos.

>Now they are the edgy Chaos-hating Chaos Marines
Why do people pin this one on ADB? This is ancient lore, as in 2nd edition Chaos Codex ancient.

Before they got their Heresy on, there were arc projectors on their armor that projected a lightning effect across it. Now I imagine it's real (Warp) lightning as is the wont of Chaos, perhaps some surviving arc projectors, or even just paint.

We don't have quests anymore so we don't have to enforce generals.

The war is over child.

Why did they think lightning would up the scary factor?

Wouldn't something like utter fucking darkness and silence be scarier than an electric lightshow?

Also what kind of edgelords uses polearms?

I didn't say it is. They are edgy for other reasons than the lighning

Did I say anything about ADB? I ain't even saying the current fluff is bad, I like it better than the old one. Still, one must admit, NL are edgy as fuck. But it's 40k so edgyness is good.

I am totally with you on the lightning thing. Never understood that.

In the later fluff they actually do concentrate on darkness and striking from the shadows as means of instilling terror. You know, among other things like skinning, eye gouging and the like.

And the pole arm thing, well, NLs are warriors still, Sevatar was first captain, a warrior-murder, not a throat-cutting sneaky one. A chain-glavie did fit his brutal style. Plus the pole allows a lot of dirty tricks worthy of a Night Lord.

>Did I say anything about ADB? I ain't even saying the current fluff is bad, I like it better than the old one.
Well, ADB is largely responsible for new post-Heresy NL lore, and people assume this is a new thing, so...

The moving lightning comes from the 2007 CSM Codex, p. 70 (pic related). Some publications that came after it stuck with it (mostly other GW studio material), while others went back to the painted lightning (such as ADB's novels).

They have never been anti-Chaos. Just anti-faith. People keep mixing that up.

>They have never been anti-Chaos. Just anti-faith. People keep mixing that up

Well, if we must be specific, both Zho Zahal and the entire 10th company, including the corrupt ones, are explcicitly anti-chaos, pointing out many times they do not serve the mad gods and that even the gifts they offer are corrpution and a sign of weakness. Curze claimed allying with Dark Gods was weakness too. So yeah, anti Chaos.

The largest warband is led by a daemon prince and uses furies - from the very same book you are referencing with that character. Inconsistent.

since the NL warband splintered off they all have different views on chaos. Some worship chaos and some don't. From what I read, they won't kill a fellow NL just because they worship chaos. They just don't trust those who are corrupted.

Well, 10th company also had Khorne and Tzeentch worshippers in it. BL fluff is always a bit more flexible when it comes to the lore.

>the Khorne worshiper was more sane than the Tzeentch worshiper
Didn't see that one coming, especially after all the BLOOD AND SKULLS RIP AND TEAR

>bathats

I need to get at least one set of these when they come back in stock.

It might be the same in edginess, but actual lightning is not as lame. Edgy things tend to not be as lame when they actually have the verisimilitude to back the concept. Painted lightning just means they're tryhards. Actual lightning means you might actually want to watch out.

Tesla coils?

There's no reason it can't be all of those things. FW books also mention that the lightning projectors could get damaged, and since NL are mostly piratical, it's not inconceivable that they'd resort to poverty-tier fixes like painting it.

Damn if only sev lived. Then the NL wouldn't be starscream tier most of the time.

There's a slight rumor possibility that he's the master of the 8th company of GKs.

He was referring to autistic spergs shitting on him, user, as that is what happens in the general. Child.

No there isn't faggot stop spamming this

Why do NLfags insist on being insufferable perpetual cunts

I bet you spanmed Carcharodons = NL and Curze is a daemon primarch too you faggot ass motherfucker

Stop repeating this and use your brain. GK do not live in the warp, and the oldest living marine that isn't warp time altered is Bjorn, who was younger than line officers in 30k. Sevetar is dead, like almost all 30k officers.