What are some self spreading monster types?

What are some self spreading monster types?
We got zombies, wights, vampires, and werewolves.
What are some other good ones?
What are your favorites?
How should hunters of each of these things treat each other?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/bodak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do alien body snatchers/ pod people count?

I'm quite partial to these.

I'm going to rule that they do.
And also it would be really hype if they were in the same time period as werewolves, draculas, and zombies.
shit, those were good.

>self spreading monster types
those are the opposite of self spreading, the whole point is they require a host

Do evil cultists, given they have a habit of proselytizing, count as self-spreading and/or monsters?

spawn of kyuss

Not unless they are secretly horrible tentacle monsters or fish people or something.

What about night trolls from Dwarf Fortress? They change another creature of the opposite gender into one of them, then impregnate themselves/the other in order to further spread.

You know what he means.

Night trolls are kinda fucked up and weird.

i just want to play a game about normal humans hunting monsters, what is a cool game that isnt world of darkness?

Monster of the Week

My younger sister thinks the Bloodborne Werewolves are adorable.

Even the blood/muscle one in the intro.

Don't mind flayers propagate themselves by inserting their tadpoles into hosts?

So to get a traditional mind flayer you insert a tadpole into a human/elf/dwarf/orc/etc.

But you also have mind flayers inserted into beholders and shit.

So technically they are similar to vampires and werewolves, because they convert their hosts. However, it's even more horrifying, because the original mind and soul of the host body is completely destroyed and replaced by the parasitic tadpole.

At least vampires and werewolves retain their own minds. (although I admit that vampires retaining their souls is iffy, especially depending on which lore you are referencing)

I wish there was a game or novel that explored and went into detail about the whole tadpole process, from the perspective of the host.

They totally do.
Though I don't think the view from someone who is a host is that good.
I mean, "parasite eating your entire brain" is pretty fatal. It's not like a botfly eating things randomly.

Considering that maybe the only good thing to come out of RE6 was the virus used(though this is separate from the way they implemented it; the implementation was ham-fisted and suffered for it), I'm a fan of C Virus-like magical plagues.

And honestly, most of the, "complete mutants," it created were still alive, so they weren't zombies in the traditional sense of, "dead body gets back up, keeps fighting." They were more like what they started calling them in the RE series after a while: Bio-Organic Weapons.

Crabs.

even the zombies are alive in RE, so.. I mean yea.

they aren't even zombies, they are humans reainamated by the T-virus then degrading because of it.

GURPS: Monster Hunters.

Giant enemy or other?

vargouille

Borg/Tyranid types. Anything technological that assimilates others into the hive.

Your sister has patrician taste.

Ogres in Pathfinder, more or less a corruption of giants, which in tern corrupt any race they come into contact with.

If they can change a female human into a female troll, why don't they turn a male troll into a female troll?

Religion.

Any. They're all a cancer.

Good lad.

Shoggoths?

Broo

Niggers

The Thing, Xenomorphs, Philosophical Zombies, there's several things in D&D such that whenever it kills, its victim becomes one, too - evil spirits, flying heads, etc.

Communists.

Eh, Borg?

Tell me about the broo bro.

Meenlocks, OP. Hideous little mutants who live in the dark. If you disturb their burrow they'll mark one of your party (prioritizing paladins). As the day wanes the chosen victim will become aware that he's being stalked by horrible monsters who want to make him one of them, resulting in hefty penalties from being distracted and paranoid (no one else in the party notices anything).

When night falls the meenlock band will attack the party's camp and try to kidnap their mark back to the burrow, where they'll torture and mutate the poor bastard until he turns into a meenlock himself.

In other words, they're extremely selective slasher movie monsters.

What is the difference of an vampire and the bat version of a werewolf?

One's a vampire, the other's a werebat.

Dnd gnolls

For disease-types, amputation would be a perfectly viable treatment option. If you can make the limb grow back/get a replacement, then even better. Better a cripple than a monster. It'll probably hurt less, too.

Basically they can rape ANYTHING and make more of themselves. Commonly they use wild animals and cattle but it could also be inanimate objects. Your Table? Raped and pregnant with a table-broo-monster.

GURPS like user says, or WFRP.

okay, I can take raping of womenfolk, I can take raping of cattle, but goddamnit I call bullshit on tablerape.

Necromorphs. Tyranids. Necronids?

Creeps like the frog monsters from Hellboy. Psychic, super strong, super evolved humans that can spawn whole city leveling armies from one body. Eldritch baby factories that have a pretty high survival rate, plus everybody is already predisposed to being turned into one.

>tablerape

What setting are they from?

Glorantha

runequest

A mind flayer tadpole infecting a beholder?

That's god damn genius. And pure evil to players.

A homebrew one I seen before was myconids, but reproducing more like Cordeyceps fungi that adapted to prey on humaniods. Purge it with fire indeed.

Mindflayer tadpole in a Hydra. The other heads one head gets converted to a mindflayer and the other heads are actively trying to avoid being converted, right now they're strong enough to prevent it, but the mindflayer is getting an ever stronger psychic hold over them.

The hydra will beseech the party to help it and kill the flayer head better make sure not to let two grow back and the flayer will ask for help in infecting the other heads.

Could offer different rewards depending on who you help/ different treasure depending on who takes over and betrays the party. Hydra could offer it's blood or something as regeneration potions/ability and the flayer could teach/it's body parts give a psionic ability like 5lb telekinesis or mild empathetic telepathy

just cut low enough and two normal hydras grow back
or cut the other hydras enough to vastly outnumber it

I totally misread htat as "mindflayer tadpole is a hydra" like they originated as a contagious hydra head that got chopped off but then found some way to survive attaching to host's necks.

Cutting off the mindflayer head = two mindflayer heads.

>What are some self spreading monster types
>self spreading
Elves.

No mention of the bodak problem? Save or die gaze that turn victims into more bodaks in 24 hours. Surprised there aren't more bodaks in a lot of settings.

They aren't very common, they can either spend twenty minutes to steal that cute girl from a nearby village or spend a few years tracking another night troll down and hope they are the right gender.

>Pod People
What a movie! It wasn't about pods & it wasn't about people.

probably too virulent

What's up with that?!

Humans species

>monsters
No, sir, not all. Just the communists.

Can they rape the air and make sky broo?

Blood drinking.

I think they're like the chaotic offspring of a corrupted fertility god? So yes.

They have ritual to rape anything but even that doesn't work on inaminate objects.

There is also a ritual of magic abortion to get rid of the broospawn before they hatch.

Also anything that can survive chestburster should survive broobirth.

>inanimate

Meant to say incorporeal, breadcrumb broos are legit.

Beholder mindflayers are called mindwitnesses.

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/bodak

The Bodak is literally designed for an apocalypse scenario.