Games that play like D&D

What games are there that can handle the DnD playstyle, where you get a fighter, a priest, a wizard, and so on, explore dungeons, get loot, and all that good stuff.

Which are good?

The Dark Eye is the German version of DnD. It was developed in the 80s because, for the longest time, DnD wasn't available in German. it's finally available in English. The system is reminiscent of AD&D in a lot of ways but fixes the issues with that system. There's no hit point bloat in TDE. Your HP is a fixed value based on your stats. You can spend XP to increase it a little, but not by much. The skill system for The Dark Eye might sound like a chore at first, but it's actually pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Check first pastebin in /osrg/:
from the past, there's 0e D&D, B/X and AD&D. the retroclones of them are Swords & Wizardry, Labryinth Lord and OSRIC in that order. There's also tunnels & trolls, rune quest.

well recommended contemporary interpretations of the 0e style (very different from 3e and after, it's all exploration, resource management, creative encounter resolution) include DCC for something more gonzo, LotFP for more low fantasy and horror, beyond the wall for something light and more youth adult fantasy.

There's also torchbearer, I haven't played it, it's a bit weirder and very rules heavy but meant to have very tense and brutal with the emphasis heavily on resource management.

imo, just play some good old D&D. B/X is a perfect base to add/remove rules onto to get it where you want it while still being perfect on its own. attached pdf is all you need

Pic most definitely not fucking related.

Did I trigger you?

>Classic Fantasy
Runequest/ d100 system with additional rules to give it a D&D feel. Overall a neat little game.

Eh?
No, I just work 'fucking' into all of my sentences in the first half hour after getting off of work.
Why, have you dungeon-crawled successfully with Exalted before? Have a running conversation with gaming group about this, general consensus is that it works poorly, especially with the increasingly-incoherent newer editions.

Oh yeah, it's a horrible fit. But I have a limited number of images, an image was required, and you seemed pretty triggered.

I really, really dig Fantasy Craft.

Pic related.

Very straight forward and easy to learn, while having a ton of customization. Casters are martials on relatively even footing. Combat is fast and lethal. Pretty cool setting, but works with any fantasy setting with little tweaking required. I've been working on an Eberron conversion myself.

This. Classic Fantasy is the best of D&D and the best of RuneQuest 6/Mythras.

why not just play D&D?

Idk what Veeky Forums's opinion on it is, but my friends and I have lots of fun running Dungeon World

>Idk what Veeky Forums's opinion on it is
It's not just narrative cancer, but poorly designed narrative cancer. The game it's a misinterpretation of, Apocalypse World, is genuinely good, despite being narrative cancer.

I haven't played it, this is my impression of Veeky Forums's opinion

I have played both and the assessment is accurate.

Because every edition of D&D is either trash or obsolete.

One more reason why 4e isn't D&D!

>obsolete
git gud, underageb&

OSR, Fantasy Craft, Legend.
Are you going to make an actual argument or do I have to wait for you to git gud, underageb&?

Steady your hipsterism there. I agree that OSR has some gems, and FC/Legend are good games, but 4e/5e are at least competitive with those in terms of design enough that it comes down to taste and other secondary factors.

Ok, how is early D&D obsolete? OSR is a revival of it, outside a few outliers like Luke crane's games, it's entirely clones of the originals or very slight departures from them, with the majority of the content just being supplements to the original base - proving B/X etc are classic, relevant games just as they've always been. Criticizing them just because they're not new, even if you rely on baseless sophistry like accusations of nostalgia or elitism or hipsterism, is exactly as idiotic as when someone says the same about old movies, books or music. They certainly come from and appeal to a different sensibility than is paradigm today, but so what? I run games almost exclusively newbies and they wouldn't have any idea unless you told them so, and still wouldn't care. I certainly didn't when I first started with pathfinder and thought it was steaming garbage and gave up on RPGs until I was introduced to an 0e table.

Yes, also caster superiority in Das Schwarze Auge is (almost) not an issue. You can kick playing a krieger or söldner as well as a gildenmagier. It is generally a rather down-to-earth game, where characters can't get ridiculously powerful.

Also, the Andergast/Nostria peasant feud is just hilarious.

I really like GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. It isn't just a derivative of it like the many retroclones in existence, and plays very quickly as well with the skill based system. One thing I like is the freedom that you are given with character creation (Note, that is different from the superfluous options that 3.PF have).

ACK Recreates the feel ocf old school d&d while mechanically reinforcing the reasons for certain tabletop tropes(ie wizards maintain dungeons as stable hunting grounds for material components), and it smoothly transitions from rag tag band of heroes to leaders of conquering armies to, obviously, kings and queens, with rules that allow the entire party to work together in leading their new nation.

Hackmaster 5th is pretty good. Just be sure to use the full players handbook and not their free version.

>D&D is obsolete! I play direct derivatives of D&D that are all but dead and have no players!
Legend isn't even finished even if it is a good game, FC is solely for playing over-the-top-fantasy-as-marvel-heroes, and OSR games are generally highly overrated by snobs who refuse to admit there are flaws with them.

Every edition of D&D ranges from playable with friends to pretty damn good, which is a surprisingly high bar given the competition.

While I'm , I would play D&D (though only DM a handful of editions) and have great fun. I just like Classic Fantasy better, because it has all the things I like but without levels and replaced high HP (which even OSR has) with rerolls which I find much more enjoyable.

What I like about the skill system is how it gives you not only a degree of success, but tells you exactly why you failed. Because you roll the three d20 at once against the three stats that make up the skill, you can see exactly what contributred to the failure and describe thusly.
I.e. Climbing is based on courage, agility and strength. Your fail on cou, then the climb was just too intimidating at a point, fail on ability and at some point you slipped, fail on strength and you simply couldn't lift yourself up at a key point.
I know a fail is still a fail but things like that act as a nice prompt for the narrative and can inspire description from the gm or players when something does go wrong.

It's great.
Very detailed.
Great combat system and I love the initiative count among other things that keep you in game and attentive outside of your turn phase.

It is,however, a complicated system.
Only quick when everyone is pulling their weight on rules.
Not something to play swiftly if only a few of you know what's going on.

>It is,however, a complicated system.
WTF is with Veeky Forums and rule aversion thing