My group infiltrated a TIE squadron and are trying to pass for replacements before slipping off during a skirmish...

My group infiltrated a TIE squadron and are trying to pass for replacements before slipping off during a skirmish. What do you think chatter on TIE comms is like? Do you think normal TIE pilots tense up when going against X-Wings, especially one on one? I want to get the voices of the pilots right.

I'm assuming this will take place during the time period of the original trilogy?

If so, given the size of the empire versus the rebellion, I'd imagine the average TIE pilot wouldn't have much combat experience aside from routine patrols and anti-piracy operations.

Therefore the pilots will probably be nervous in actual combat, as well as likely underestimating the skill and capabilities of any rebels they encounter, at least initially.

Depends on the canon you subscribe to. Some folks would be as the other anons put it, panicked and worried. Some would have been fed a steady stream of propaganda, with their experience that's limited in the field backing that feeling up. They're going to be hyper confident as they engage with the enemy, but would break and just start trying to survive when the enemy is proving too strong.

Or they can be from certain academies that filled recruits with aggression, to the point that TIE pilots are bloodthirsty and shaking for a kill. The Wraith Squadron books mention some of these kind of pilots, especially those on elite ships, have severe emotional problems meant to make them as aggressive as possible to support their fighter's game plan.

But yeah, they could be confident on approach or shitting their pants worried about the fight.

Depends on the squadrons experience. Tie Fighters are one of the most skill dependant starships in the SW universe so a rookie squadron will probably be very nervous on the first sign of an organised resistance while an ace pilot will see a one on one dogfight with an X-wing more as a routine then a challenge.

>I'm assuming you are on basic TIE/LN.
Then You should also take in account that a basic TIE are not really much more than flying boxes with a laser and a reactor.

A TIE fighter as no shield, no hyperdrive and not even combat shield, it's very fragile and it's only weapon is a (fairly powerfull) laser cannon; at least if the TIE is not modified. It's main advantage is his speed and maneuverability. And in tactital term they rely a lot on they number to overwhelm the opposant. Most of the pilot, be they Imperial or not think TIE fighter pilot are bloody suicidal fucker cause of how "expandeable" the TIE are.

So you are in a complet suit; with oxygen and all, isolated cause your superior don't give enough of a fuck about you to raise the prise of the fighter to install a lifesupport system; you have your 12 buddy (basic number for a TIE squad and a wing is compose of Six squad, just to give the info) talking in your helmet, and you know that if you take a hit you are in deep shit, sure you have a ejection system, but most pilot never use it and prefer to die with the fighter cause ejecting probably mean dying a slow and painfull death by heat loss and lack of oxygen. Your lack of Hyperdrive also mean that if your carrier/all carrier get shoot down your in deep shit.

Another random info:
>Everything is done to make the pilot feel expandeable and "only a piece in the machine" as a part of the training and endoctrinement
>Pilot are identifier via a stoormtrooper like identifiant (ex : TD-6565-B) but I have no idea if they have a particular structuration, sorry.
>They tend to not atttach much to they fighter.

(pic unrelated)

I'm with . Fighter squadrons are one of the most closely knitted community you can imagine, so the personality of the pilots will have a huge importance.
Unless the SD commander is a dick that monitors all frequencies and gives punishments for any break of radio discipline.

Squadrons certainly use specific callnames during flight, like eagle one or theta blue. Because if you have to say "watch out BV-560736-TK-1, you got a x-wing on your 6", he'll probably be dead before you've finished.

Yes it's probably a reality, I suppose pilot identify by number, during in-squad communication.

Well correction I found something on their identifiant
" DS-61-2 (the first two letters indicated the posting, the next two or three digits indicated the squadron number, and the last number indicated the pilot's ranking in the squadron)"

I suppose they use only the number in combat situation, something like "When I talk to my squad, I use the two last number, when I talk to the rest of the wing I use the four one".

That fairly quick and match the "You are only a little part of the machine, a standardized soldier" of the Imperial war machine trope.

To explain my point, I wanted to explain the very opressant and stressfull environement a TIE must be, especially given they not really made to land or to allow you to get out of it alone and that ejecting lead to horrible death 9/10 of the time. And even veteran pilot don't get attach to they fighter, so they can't even pull out the classical trope of "I believe in my ride"

Head to /swg/

It's a constant discussion of fetishes and weird shit about girls.

Don't forget that TIE Fighters all have tracking beacons.

If they steal one and don't realize it has a beacon, you have some fun opportunities to fuck with them.

As for structure, this guy has it right.

However, only the squadron leader is going to be allowed to communicate outside their squadron on comms, so in standard communications they'd just identify themselves by the last number of that for brevity.

Even worse, they can be disabled remotely by their motherships in nucanon. Pop the wings off and watch 'em float uselessly.

I suppose they will only use them to flee on a nearby planet or rebel ship anyway, given they don't have hyperdrive to travel very far.

>I suppose they will only use them to flee on a nearby planet or rebel ship anyway, given they don't have hyperdrive to travel very far.
You ever watch Rebels?

Image spoilered because it actually is a funny reveal

Just realise I say shield two time, my bad, wanted to say "No shield, no hyperdrive, no life-suport system"

Not really, not regulary at least. But that's a bit silly, given they need a special Rack and that it's kind of a waste to modify your hangar for one fighter.

Nucanon actually has given them a very basic life support system now. But it won't hold if the hull is breached, so pilots still gotta wear the suit.

>Pop the wings off and watch 'em float uselessly.

Guess the First Order didn't catch this memo in TFA when they updated their TIEs.

Would've been hilarious to watch Finn and Po's plan fail spectacularly like that.

And combat wanks, if experience holds.

The weird thing is that, aside from being heat radiators, the wings don't do much.

In theory you could lose both and still fly, provided you didn't mind your engine melting.

TIE pilots are trained to use the minimum amount of communication and taught to always refer to each other by ID numbers. Orders to randomly open fire on civilians ships are to be expected in operations. In one case a hyperspace lane traffic jam caused a TIE squadron to be deployed from a ISD to shoot their way through civilian cargo ships to clear a path. The decision to prevent shielding from being installed onto TIE fighters were originally proposed by TIE pilots who noticed that squadrons acted in an almost bloodthirsty feral state when flying fighters without any shielding. The suicidally aggressive tendencies were encouraged by officers to allow TIE squadrons to preform suicidal maneuvers that most normally refuse to do. The dependence on a carrier for resupplying and FTL travel maintained a very collectivist mindset of pilots during the Galactic Civil War. The recruits new to combat would relay on confusion by outnumbering the enemy and superior firepower this tactic led to many losses as pilots hunted down targets for individual kills. Veterans realized the TIE fighters could outrun and outmaneuver any rebel fighters short of A-Wings leading to bait-and-switch tactics being used to kill X-Wings and A-Wings.