>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What adventure in TftYP are you most excited to see redone in 5e?

I like 4e and 5e.

Barrier Peaks when?

Well I think you are entitled to your opinion, friend.

>What adventure in TftYP are you most excited to see redone in 5e?

I'm not oldfag enough to know what any of them are like. I remember people talking about Tomb of Horrors when I ran 3.5 but I never sought it out.

What would be the most interesting guild you could create? What are your ideas, /5eg/?

>Tomb of Horrors
Its shit

Most fun I ever had in ToH was porting it to Scion and tearing the place a new asshole

Look up Eberron's dragonmarked houses. The premise of racial magic used to create an economy will give you a lot of inspiration.

I still struggle to think what the Mark of Death was supposed to do when true dragonmarks are explicitly about magic that can create useful things.

Are dwarves good in this system?

A friend wants to play Gaston in a level 5 one shot. I'm thinking Valor Bard, he's thinking hunter ranger. Who's right?

Tactical and intelligent creatures should often finish off downed creatures once its demonstrated that otherwise they stand back up, aka if you have a healer waking them up.

Additionally, certain forms of undead, particularly the more basic types, might simply continue to kill unless otherwise interfered with.

Unintelligent creatures, such as still controlled undead or constructs, may well be instructed specifically to kill enemies, simply based on the wishes and wording of their creator/controller. Similarly, creatures defending a specific location, such as golems or non-mobile or sentient plant beings, may just keep on swatting those nearest them.

Particularly cruel beings, such as specific demons or black dragons, will finish off an enemy to shock their enemies.

Assassins and those seeking vengeance may kill their target, and cowardly creatures, such as some kobolds or goblins, may choose to just stab the guy on the ground in front of them instead of the scary group of enemies a bit beyond.

Certain beings may feel so unthreatened by the party as a unit, that killing an individual may seem the first step in killing them all.

Some creatures may value specific individuals, wounding or knocking them unconcious, yet find others unvaluable, and may finish them off while leaving others alive. Some examples would be Illithids, which may feed on or destroy people they don't want as slaves, or Beholders, which may disintegrate those they dislike or don't want.

Reposting:

I'm playing a divination wizard in an upcoming campaign, and I'm having some trouble fluffing out Portent. I'm not sure how to fluff replacing a con save or will save or something like that. Anyone come up with something?

Hunter with a high Charisma.

Neither. He's a charlatan swashbuckler with expertise in grappling (athletics), and performance.

Portent is your ability to see the future.

Do didn't change anything. You just see what actually happen. You see a guy that can't withstand poison. You see that your charm spell is effective.

That why you have to replace the dice before your DM start rolling.

The guy was a professional hunter. Take a guess which one of you is right.

They are pretty good. Abjuration Wizard Dwarf is hilariously durable. You can even melee with battleaxe.

Preface literally every use of Portent with "I saw that coming"
done

>Valor Bard
>expertise in performance
Gaston would be a bard, except for the fact that he's in a musical. The thing about musicals is that everybody in them can sing, just because it's a musical, but it's not a character trait, just an aspect of the world.

If you're statting a character from a movie, you don't stat their Charisma on how charismatic their actor is, you stat them for how charismatic their character is supposed to be. One is a function of the medium, the other is a function of the character itself. So I would leave bards and performance out of it entirely, and focus on what Gaston is actually good at, namely: eating five dozen eggs every day. Hunter Ranger with high CHA and low INT.

I'm not basing the bard argument on the songs, I'm basing it on Gaston inspiring a whole town to form an angry mob to kill The Beast.

Pretty sure more evident is pointing that long neck dinosaur just lie in place and graze. They dont walk much at all.

Also the world's atmosphere at that point has more buoyancy (the same way the ocean can support whale), so they dont instantly crush themselves.

This doesn't apply in D&D world though because human can't survive that kjnd of atmosphere.

So if I give a party member passing roll on a saving throw, it's more of my character forseeing that they dodged a fireball or resisted a poison? A friend of mine described it as fast-fowarding through a movie and catching some spoilers.

Gaston was probably a Ranger/Bard or a ranger with ridiculously high charisma. Aside from Belle, everyone in the village looked up to him, and although the movie does make him the butt of many jokes, it seems that he's a very competent hunter and overall a very hardy and strong fellow (which doesn't fit with bard alone).

>Also the world's atmosphere at that point has more buoyancy (the same way the ocean can support whale), so they dont instantly crush themselves.
Boy, you need to read you a book. The difference in atmospheric density between then and now wouldn't be significant enough to have any required effect. They were just really big, specialized animals.

>I'm basing it on Gaston inspiring a whole town to form an angry mob to kill The Beast.
You don't need to be a fucking bard to pull that off, user.

Yeah. Thing get weird if you use lucky to force a reroll before using portent though.

But what does that have to do with being a bard? Bards don't have a moratorium on convincing people to do shit. Rangers are certainly capable of forming bands of militias to defend civilization, aren't they? That was basically Aragorn's whole deal. And it's not like Gaston used magic at all, either, while bards are a full-caster class this edition.

Folk Hero background

Normally I'm not one of those people to go "hurr durr magic" about everything in a fantasy setting, especially shit that are non-magical. That shit pisses me off to no end.

But, dragons are literally fucking magic.

That is a REALLY weak basis for deciding someone's class, user, and really shows a lack of both critical thinking skills and imagination on your part.

Air sac

I integrate elements of 4E's combat and enemy abilities into 5E to make the combat more strategic and interesting, though I stole the idea from Matt Colville on YouTube.

The guy start it by going "hurrdurr physic mean dragon can just stomp on the party!! Muh giant fetish!!"

It work both way.

I like all editions of D&D for different reasons

Lucky isn't a reroll (although everyone treats it like one). Lucky + Portent would just be pick one portent die, roll another D20 (once), and pick whichever you like. Bit of a waste though.

You guys didn't have to rekt the op that hard. Maybe he's really retarded.

What does medicine have to do with giants and dragons?

You have to decide to use Portent before you roll and it automatically replaces the roll, so you can't roll the Lucky die and choose which one to take

Lucky can overwrite portent. Pretty sure there is a sageadvice (and a shit storm about how luck can beat fate) on that somewhere

>Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined.

Luck doesn't actually touch the original die, it lets you roll an extra one

Oh, my bad

No worries m8 its something I had to look up myself a couple of months ago

is mystic/sohei out yet?

Somebody please help me, I am fucking eating up the UA Paladin oaths and I need to be stopped before I roll up an edgelord

It won't be out til sometime in February.

No

Do iiiiiiit.
My buddy is playing a half Orc Paladin who's goal is to raise an army and dethrone the prince who slaughtered his tribe and stole their land. He hates humans, so he's basically playing Orc Hitler now. He switched to one of the UA oaths (the fear one, forget the name) and it's going well so far

How's this for a harpoon gun?

>Martial ranged weapon, heavy, two-handed, reload, special
>Damage: 1d12 piercing (maybe 2d6?)
>Range: 50/200 (not sure about this either)

Special: When you hit with a harpoon, you can choose to let its rope free or keep it attached to the weapon. If you let it free, the rope dangles beneath the target down to its length. If you keep it attached, the target can't move beyond the gun's normal range, but it can wedge itself free with a successful Athletics check contested by the weilder's Athletics check. If you fire at a target beyond the gun's normal range, you can't keep the rope attached to the gun.

No. Stop. Don't.

Why not try your hand at reverse-falling? Rising into one of the more benevolent Oaths, as it were.
Someone brought it up a couple of weeks ago, and I'd eat that sort of shit up, it sounds great.

Dwarves are always good. I cant think of a version of the game they havent been above average at least in.This is mostly because the most commonly played Hill Dwarf gets bonuses that benefit any class. Everyone loves having a crapton more HP and a little better Wis save to keep from getting Dominated. Poison is an element that sucks ass for PCs to use but is actually pretty common to throw against them so the Dwarves Save Advantage/Resistance comobo vs Poison is very helpful.. You can play a hearty tough to kill version of any class if you can live with not maxing out your main stat a little longer

Mountain Dwarves have the memetastic ability to grant armor proficiencies to classes that likely already have them if you need a +2 to Str/Con and should be treated as such

Can a bard not be focused on music? Can a bard just be like a rogue that recognizes the power that comes with melody?

He can be whatever you want him to be, user. It's D&D!

Yes. Refluff.

>that recognizes the power that comes with melody?
...and does what exactly?

What?
Isn't that just a rogue who appreciates music?

So upcoming UAs:

Known order, starting January 9th:
- Ranger
- Rogue
- Sorcerer
- Warlock
- Wizard

Mentioned by devs:
- Mystic v3 (full 20 class, 6 subclasses, 50 disciplines, + sohei fighter subclass), completed, likely after wizard UA.
- Expanded downtime rules (focused on ways to spend extra gold, between-session rules with in-session complications including winding up in jail or other things), still in-development.
- Rules for what happens "on the other end of adventuring life" to backgrounds (wild speculation includes paragon paths or campaign epilogue guidelines).
- Mysterious other "" subjects that actually delayed the Mystic for a bit.

What I want to know is, after they're done with all the class UAs are they actually going to make some of them official?

I hate the stupid look on my DM's face when I ask about UA stuff... I'm not trying to break the game jackass, I just want more options.

>full 20 class
Ok hold the fuck up
What do you mean by this

Levels 1-20

Full level 20. The last version only has ability up to level 10.

Alright, thought he meant 20 new classes
I should go to bed

Opinions please?

Oh, seems fine I guess, if you keep it to only 1 shot a round.

It's a better longbow with special effect.
What do you think?

i dont think that any of the UA stuff is stupid broken or so unbalanced that it deserves that kind of treatment
i mean all it take is to pull up a pdf and read like three paragraphs
also if they aren't accommodating shit like Forge and Grave domains and Swashbucklers you limiting the scope of your setting and the players who use it

>What I want to know is, after they're done with all the class UAs are they actually going to make some of them official?
Either at the end of the year or sometime next year. This is all clearly playtesting for their previously-discussed "mechanical expansion" book. They're in major crunchtime for stuff to put in there, and I expect that these UA stuff is only a small part of what will end up in there.

It's really just a heavy crossbow + fluff
No need to reinvent wheels here

Holy shit, DMing for less people makes running games like 200% easier

just felt like throwing that out there

Yes, the idea is you can fire it but then have to use your action to reload. So no Crossbow Expert to bypass it. That's what the reload property means, right? i don't have the DMG on me to doublecheck.

What I want is something that shoot projectiles with a rope attached. The ranger in my party wanted to do something similar and I thought "why not".

3-5 is a good number

Any more and you're just punching yourself in the dick, expecting it to feel better than jerking off

>tfw you DM and the CR for everything is 15

>What I want is something that shoot projectiles with a rope attached
Yeah, a heavy crossbow

Fluff it all you like, but personally I wouldn't waste a ton of effort on special snowflake mechanics. Maybe pull back the range a bit when the rope is attached (same energy but more mass = less distance), but otherwise I don't see why you'd change anything

Fuck I meant DC
it's still early

>Loading. Because of the time required to load this
>weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition
>from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction
>to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can
>normally make.

>Willi Goodhand
Uhhh

Where can I find a good guide to Eberron as a setting anyhow?

3''s too intimate for me, personally. I find 6 to be my just about right number, but 5 is just fine.

I've been able to handle 8, did 10 once and that just was too much.

The 3e Eberron setting book?

3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting book. You can find a PDF by Googling it easily enough. Five Nations is another great one, gives a good rundown of the four main nations + the Mournlands.

A...are we still talking about players...?

Doesn't stop player to Shoot > drop (no action) > draw (object interaction) > shoot another one with extra attack.

Mountain dwarf abjuration wizard, bruh.
8 INT, medium armor, warhammer

we Matrix now

Lv 6 Abjuration or Divination

Hm. I still should establish mechanics for how the rope works, right? Or just say fuck it and have a more expensive ammunition (for silk rope)? Besides, a huge harpoon gun would be pretty cool.
>pull back the range a bit
You may notice I used half the range of a heavy crossbow with that thought in mind

The loading property can be bypassed by the Crossbow Expert feat, which is why I used the reload property instead. I guess if I keep heavy xbow stats I wouldn't need to change the property.

so mod it lower
i mean the simplest solution is to just lower the stats of the thing you want to use
or take a comparable lower level monster ad use it as a template to use on the monster you want.

The Night-Soil Shovelers Guild.

so that what a Dwarven Prostitute clan would be named....

The optional encumbrance rules are hardcore man.

No I mean when I have to decide the DC for something it's ALWAYS 15

So with improved divine smite, does a paladin that crits not only get the weapon dice as bonus damage, but a second divine smite 1d8?

Crits double all damage dice you deal on an attack, including smite, sneak attack, hunter's mark etc

Honestly the more I look at Druid the more I think it should have been broken up into two classes where one was Druid (Shamany Witchdoctor) and one was Shifter (or whatever, more like 3.5's MoMF).

Or maybe a Animal Transformer would be a Monk subclass.

The EK for Fighter probably should have been an arcane based Paladin theme as well, Probably.

The Mad Fellows Guild
A guild of like minded people who seek out dangerous magical items and artifacts and creatures, not to protect or guard them, but to use them to see what they do and how they work!
despite causing untold destruction and it being an unspoken crime to belong to such a group, it has endured strong and united for millennia.
So if you ever see a mountain shoot into the sky unannounced, have your village turned into talking animals, or find that there are suddenly a lot more violent trees in the area, tread carefully!
there might be a mad fellow about!

Yeah, all damage dice get doubled on a regular crit.
You know what's retarded? Our GM gave me a blunt weapon with a special ''can use a bonus action to unload holy water on attack'' modifier, like an aspergillum device.
Our casters are reaching the point where they can make use of Hold Person more or less when needed. As soon as I'm able, one of these days I'm getting the critical strike to end all crits.

> Want class bloat in 5e
Go back to /pfg/

Nah, druid is fine as-is. There's one subclass dedicated to wildshape fuckery (Moon) and the rest are fine just having it as a good utility ribbon, especially good for scouting and the like.

oh
then back the fuck up dude your doing too much
break those encounters up or take a monster or two out.
or cheat and go easy on you players

Why do you think Assassin / Paladin is one of the meme?

Are Sniper Rogues OP? I made one (first time ever playing a rogue in 5e, no optimization guides or the like either), and a few sessions in, my DM nerfed me to hell by taking away my ranged sneak attack.

No, your DM is just a dumb baby who thinks they know the system better than the game's designers. It's a classic sign of That DM-ism.