What went so god-dammed wrong?

So, so many wasted opportunities.
Look I never claimed the GW was perfect (far from it) but when they are good they are really good and both the Skitarii Codex and the Cult Mechanicus Codex is probably the worst I've seen from them since that embarrassment they called the Grey Knights Codex.
First off the Micanicum gets little to no background lore on now grimdark life is for your average citizen in a forge world other than being told that they like to get tattoos. We get no information on their social hierarchy (other than being told that they have one) and the fact that societal structures differ from forge world to forge world is not even hinted at. Also there should have been more information provided regarding the actual biological make up of the Skitarii I mean most would say that its unnessersery but hell a lack of detail seems to be a common pattern in the Adeptus Mechanicus codexes. Take for example the lack o detail given about the different forge worlds across the detail which can be boiled down to them all being the same except for one having an internal sun and another having a space station or something other than that its just the same information repeated over and over under the title of a different planet (mind you this copy paste of the same information worded for each forge world is done across two codexes five times per each codex). An even worse example for this is the description for the Kataphron Destroyers and the Kataphron Breachers where you can see the author desperately trying to find new and creative ways to describe servitors and failing miserably at it and mind you repetition of uninteresting information is a common theme that you see here.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Eldrad)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Secondly we get absolutely no insight into the underbelly of the tech priests religion I mean picture this in the Cult Mechanicus Codex gets this ambiguous section that shows the leaders of the Micanicum (maybe even the high lord of Terra) paying homage to the one true Omnissiah in the catacombs under Mars and then its revealed that it turns out to the weaken and battered (yet slowly healing) remains of an ancient dragon C'tan. Hell they can take it even one step further and make it that the top brass of the Micanicum is so desperate to find an STC is really so that they can finally restore the Omnissiah to his former glory. I mean both of the adeptus mechanicus codexes have no interesting backstory/lore.
Thirdly the actual units for the armies are severely lacking I mean Skitarii Vanguard are Ok and everything but rust-stalkers are shit and nothing anyone says will change that fact. Also where are the tanks and artillery? I mean for fucks sake this is the Adeptus Mechanicus we are talking about they should have the best vehicles of the Imperium at their disposal instead they have none.

However when things finally start to get interesting (in like the last paragraph of lore in the codex) its barely glossed over I mean they just said that they found a complete STC in the end of the Skittari codex, yes if you haven't read the codes im not making this shit up they actually state that they found the location of a complete STC and have dispatched like all the Military forces the Mechanicus has to retrieve it and this let me remind you is only mentioned it a tiny paragraph in the Skittari codex.
Similarly in a tiny paragraph in the Cult Mechanicus codex they say that the golden throne is failing and they asked the Dark Eldar for help....
You know what not even gonna say anything about that this shit is just stupid I mean who wrote this Matt Ward, you know what that actually makes more sense than it probably should. I mean if they really wanted help from xenos they could have asked the Tau or the Eldar but nooooo they just had to go to the BDSM enthusiasts I mean the only rational reason that I can see behind this is that the Eldar couldn't be asked because dragononmars (which is a stretch i mean i doubt the eldar would even have a clue about that) and the Tau couldn't be asked because Tau To be honest this would have made more sense if they dedicated more than a paragraph for the whole thing but not even a 10 000 word essay could rationalize the Imperium asking one of the most sadistic xenos races out there to help fix the golden throne even if they are have the most advanced tech when it comes to bio-engineering. I mean there is only so much you can blame on the Imperium for being incompetent.

Also if they were going to split the Adeptus Mechanicus codex into parts they should have gone all out with it and made it so that each of the forge worlds they mention by name each have their own military organization/somewhat unique sub culture. Say, the forge world with the internal sun could have specialized in fast light infantry the forge world near the eye of terra could have specialized in long ranged artillery (super basilisks), Mars could have fucking Baneblades fused with Land Raiders that have gatling guns that shoot out highly explosive dildos (Specialized in tanks then) or another forge world could have several versions of shock infantry robots insted all we got were two half assed codexes with six or seven generic units each.

Tell us what you really think

The lore could also have been split up and expanded upon instead of giving us a generic paragraph on the "search for knowledge" at the beginning of every codex i mean the grimdark elements (human experimentation) are barely toughed upon they could have said how wounded guardsmen and are taken against their will to be turned into servitors or they could even have come up with something that made the Micanicum kidnap children to augment them or something.
Also if the lore/armies was split up into several factions/codexes they could have made it where the first codex focused on Mars and the history behind the void dragon ie. the Micanicum's dirty little secret. I mean think of how much it would sell if they releases a codex with a cover that showed the Emperor battling a C'tan on Mars with the Emperor shooting lasers from his eyes and the void dragon berating green fire (ki blast) at the Emperor or something gay like that. To be honest it wouldn't have to be on the cover even I mean if they just posted the picture on their facebook page and told their fans that the lore section of the new mars codex will have a detailed account of the ancient battle between a c'tan and the emperor that shit would spread through word of mouth through Veeky Forums and

that shit would make GW a fortune (which they will presumably use to hire better writers). And they wouldnt have had to stop there the codex on the forgeworld that likes xenos could have the section about the golden throne failing and the high lords of terra asking anyone but the dark eldar for help through the forge world that specializes in xenos tech because they might have some contacts with this guy (1d4chan.org/wiki/Eldrad) or maybe some other eldar craft world or something.
And if they really wanted to the codex on the forge world near the eye of terror could have the data about the newly found stc and they could lead a massive fucking holy crusade to recover it only to find a demon horde (possibly lead by a deamon primarch) trying to stop them and it could be later revealed that the daemon primarch doesnt want them to get their hands on the STC because he knows about the dragon on mars and doesnt want the micanicum using the STC to awaken it (hows that for twist).
They could even have a micanicum codex about a splinter faction that isnt even based on a forge world and is made up of exiled tech priests who believe in innovation and therefore have better quality automatons and are slightly less secretly evil, Think of this as kind of the farsight enclave only for the micanicum. Hell it could even take it one step further and make it so that forge world has their own psudo astartes as part of their fighting force but that might be stretching it and not to mention the possibilities that are there to write about other epic wars that that the micanicum fought after the Horus heresy.

Then again all of these were just ideas that i just randomly came up with and ideas/originality is something that what whoever wrote these piece of shit half assed micanicum codexes seem to lack. to be honest the only way that a faction with only sex new units could get away with it is if the lore kicked ass but given that it didnt it becomes clear as to what these codexes really are, an advertisement for the miniatures.
Then again if they really wanted these codexes to have at least some redeeming point they could have at least given us official art of a hot tech-priestess. That would have hurt a little less.

Nigger I ain't reading all that shit. You should be glad they pandered to your background faction at all.

(;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)

>[angry robot noises]

So you are angry that a book about their army didn't focus on civilian life or make your favorite fan-theory canon? Chill the fuck out dude.

Delet dis

WE WUZ IXIANS AND SHEIT

someone spent entire minutes of their life typing this out, after spending probably hours thinking about it. the world is a helluva place....

tl,dr

tl:dr

REEEEEEECANICUM

could you try being less of a retard?

Did you seriously just link the 1d4chan article for spread rather than write his name out?

*Eldrad

Instead of machine wyrd, they went pseudo steampunk, and steampunk is literally the worst genre

Glad to see you're updating your blog, bro.

I really wish the Kataphron servitors were heavy/fast attack choices. Cult troops should have been 10-20 man squads of basic combat servitors. The Kataphrons look too heavily equipped/armoured to be expendable ground troops.

And they should be one codex.

My bugbears

as much as I think electro priests are rad as fuck, that box should have been a resculpted set of 10 combat servitors

fucking everyone can use them

I like how you wrote "Mechanicus" constantly wrong.
And what did you expect, lorerape is the new fluff.
Brought us things like ze godlike Tau, which made GW sell thousands of Riptides.

Diversity in-army is no longer cool. So you have standartized Skitarii. Rapes the lore. But hey, they did that to 'Nids, too. Rape for everyone (but Tau and SM and Eldar).

No tanks? blame the "cool" ally system. Because allying IG is totally the same as Skitarii manned tanks, eh? Sarcasm aside. Yeah I somewhat agree.

Standard Servitors from AM / SM as basic troops 10-20. With 1 (or 2) per 5 getting Special Weapons

>Still have Mindlock
>have an option to include an Enginseer as a Sergeant or if the unit is within 12" of a Magos they autopass mindlock.

I want my Servitor swarm.

First off you are full of shit and i can tell you haven't played them. Here's a hint rust stalkers are actually one of the worst units in the dex, everything else is fine. They stack up fine on the table.

Second the discovery of a STC which is specifically stated to only be good for psychic tech is awesome. It's awesome because it gives us an event and a way to advance the setting in the Mechanicus/Imperiums favor when and if GW decides it's time to do warzone Hell's Teeth.

Third, yes they went to the Dark Eldar, which makes sense. Dark Eldar Homunculi covens are pretty much best in verse at bio engineering. The Tau can't do shit with that, they just build big robots, and the Eldar just sing wraithbone, but the Dark Eldar can manipulate and create bodies. They didn't go to them to get the throne fixed, it says they can't fix it, they went to them (and technically it was a group in the inquisition who went to them not the Admech, the Admech just told them about the problem and maybe a magos or two tagged along) to get the Emperor a new body made. Yeah it's desperate, but it's actually probably the best chance they are going to get all things considered.

Fourth there is no way in hell they would have done every single forgeworld individually. That's your job. Just my guys the hell out of them. I did. As long as your local community isn't filled with complete asses you can figure things out.

I admit it would be nice to have servitors though, and that the Cult Admech dex could use a few tweaks, but it is still solidish.