So the Ciaphas Cain series is Cain’s formerly disorganized memoirs put together by Amberley Vail...

So the Ciaphas Cain series is Cain’s formerly disorganized memoirs put together by Amberley Vail, with annotations and excerpts from a work related to the campaign Cain was involved in, and published for inquisitors only.

Why did Ciaphas Cain write down his memoirs? He wrote down some pretty sensitive information.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Stewart_(writer)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ciaphas Cain has close ties with the Ordo Prefectus due to being a Commissar, and therefore has likely had a sense of organisation drilled into him through exposure, it really isn't as uncommon as people think for people to write down and record their tales in the Imperium, there's literally half-cyborg adepts with their arms replaced with hundreds of autoquills and manipulators for this very task in some cases.

His memoirs when Amberley got them weren't organized at all. They weren't even all in the same place.

I think it was because of his distaste of all the propaganda about him so he wrote things down just so someone knows what happened without all the rose tinted bullshit of the propaganda. also the Cain archive fell into inquisition hands after his death so its not like he had anything to worry about at that point.

Because he was a HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

He wrote a kid friendly pomp and circumstance propaganda memoir but before then he wrote everything down in a big mess to remember what happened.

Amberly found the raw format editions and edited them for the Inquisiton

In the first book he explains that they were not his memoirs. They were his personal confession. He wrote it down to clear his mind and alleviate his conscience and he couldn't go the preacher at the branch of the Scholar he was at because he would probably have an aneurysm.

Cain mentions that he published his official memoirs and describes it as retroactive arse covering. Inquisitor Vail describes it as about as unreadable as the ones published by General Sulla.

But there was a time frame between when he wrote it down and when the inquisition got their hands on it.

Would destroying it after writing it down undo the therapeutic effects?

Yes

I do not think you understand how therapy works

Amberly also likes to edit little bits and change stuff.

She likes to make herself look good the most but also corrects Cain alot to the point she even changes shit Cain dismisses like when Cain shoots something with a laspistol he dismisses it as "Nothing special anyone could do it" while in Amberlys edits she goes into detail saying the shot Cain made was quite amazing especially with the weapon he was using. This is probably becasue of Cains inferiority complex but Amberly really seems like a nice girlfriend for an inquisitor.

I would like to see an actual picture of Cain though most of the book covers are basically propaganda posters.

Imagine Shaggy Rodgers. Now give him a hat.

What you dont think Cain is a beef cake?

Is Jurgans appearance changed any bit? Id imagine for Valhallan propaganda he would be quite the image a soldier who works directly with Cain anytime.

Fall of Cadia confirms that the Cain books are not canon, FYI.

Jurgen doesn't get into the stories.

and by stories I mean the official ones, or the pictures

At best you get "ANNE OTHER VALHALLAN SUPPORTING YE HERO IN YE BACKGROUND... HE DYED"

Fall of Cadia featuring the commissar dream team when

Also we dont fucking care faggot

Yes, you do.

>Dan Abentt is to busy with that sweet Marvel money to make any new Gaunt book
>Sandy Mitchell was always a lazy mother fucker

Do we need another named commissar to join the ranks? I remember their was a new book called "Commissar" starting this Flint dude but he was boring.

I feel like if we ever get a new commissar he should be a hardass who actually BLAMs people I know it sounds edgy but not all commissars are bros

It could work

Gaunt and Cain were always too lenient a commissar who plays far into the dark humor aspect would be cool.

third collection when

The Yarrick books by David Annadale are fucking awesome, really shows how much of a monster Yarrick is and if you want to see the stereotypical Commissar then you'd love them.

How so?

Two words

Catachan

Commissar

Explain, please.

I think you mean 'frag magnet'

Fall of Cadia :
>"The End Times have begun"
>"These are the last days of the Imperium"
>Cadia confirmed to fall

>Cain novels has the Inquisitor lady and other Imperial record keepers publish reports and memoirs about Cain in 50 to 100 years into 42K.
>no mention of the apocalypse or the fact the Imperium is no more

Cain also fought in the past retconned 13th crusade

Nigga this literally means that it failed again

Go! Go! Power Commissar!

Nope, Cadia confirmed to fall and the text says these are the last, not decades, not years, days of the Imperium.

There won't be an Imperium 50 years from now.

Dude the last days of the Imperium can be a few centuries long, no one is in a hurry.

This picture is ruined with Fuklaw

A giant fall of cadia argument is gonna start

Why did that one fag bring it up

Because Cain's last stand happened in the 13th Black Crusade.

Answered your own question.

He's a massive fag.

In b4 the shitstorm

Have a Cain short story.

People who obsess over what is and what isant canon are the biggest faggots in the 40k community

But can we agree that Cain is not canon though?

The 40k community on Veeky Forums is powder keg

Maybe

I like Cain and the books were made when BL still made good books

Cain is definitely canon.

No because he's awesome.

Thats just hyping up the event and the big stakes to get people interested.

The overall story is fundamentally dictated by what sells, and Imperium armies bring in a lot of money so they aren't going anywhere.

>taking 40k lore literally, to the word

Im sorry bud

>NEW NEW NEW NEW
>40K: 2
> WITH MORE SPACE MARINES
>SPACE MARINES ON LIONS, ON TIGERS, FLYING ON THE WINGS OF SPACESHIPS
>NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW
>40K: 2 - AGE OF WARHAMMER 40K
>parts and figures sold separately, painting done by people who pretend 12 year olds will be able to paint like this. No refunds allowed.

>A Commissar tough enough to stand up to Catachan troops
>Eventually earns their begrudged respect

There was Colonel Greiss

Haven't read that one, thanks

You're welcome. Although it's from the Jurgen POV rather than Cain.

Wish it was longer

That's what she said.

There are two options:
1: the 13th black crusade fails and Cain in cannon
2: the 13th black crusade succeeds and Cain is not cannon

Considering I like Cain and those stories, I don't give a fuck what GW says. He will always be cannon to me, and I wont consider 13 crusade cannon the same way I don't consider 'the beast' books cannon

I don't think Cain would have a 50 pound weight chained to his back

I feel that way about most of the HH series.

At this point there are three "timelines" or "universes" for 40k, four if you include rogue trader but rogue trader is like three different timelines in its own right so including it is kinda janky.

you've got 2e-4e 40k, which culminates with the 13th black crusade petering out and becoming mired in the Cadian Gate
and you've got 5e-current 40k, which is doing the 13th black crusade 2 and sacking Cadia

Then you've got the relic canon, where the black crusades don't matter and it's blood ravens as far as the eye can see. They're all kind of separate from one another, despite presumably being based on the same stuff.

Just hype.

Like how the Eldar were going to awaken their god and it flopped or the Tyranids get stomped again by BLECK AND BLU SPESS MUERINES all the fucking time.

Can't wait till we just skip 40k end times and go full on Age of Primarchs/Emperor once GW figure out Custodes, Primarchs, and super duper elite good guys sell really well.

See

Why are BL so shit now

How does Horus Heresy and Beast Arises sell so much? Its like all BL churns out now.

Hey, at the end of 'The Smallest Detail' it says Sandy Mitchell (Alex Stewart) writes screenplays for film and television.

What the fuck? What screenplays has he written? I can't find anything about this.

Because Sandy Mitchell is not his real name

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Stewart_(writer)

The wikipedia even under his real name only lists the 40k works

PS: the only IMDb credit he has is as a writer for Bugs, but that still counts as screenwriter so

There's a few non 40k there but that's the bulk of his work. He wrote two episodes for a show called Bugs and did some anthology editing with Gaiman. He may also do script doctor work, which doesn't get you accredited

What is our fascination with the Commissar, I wonder? Really it's actually a fairly unimportant position. Even Gaunt only gets to command a regiment because he's some unholy fusion of commissar and general, that literally only exists because of an ad-hoc field promotion in an ongoing crusade. Meanwhile Cain is nowhere near the commander of his company, the brass just trusts him implicitly because he earned their respect.

The Commissar in actuality Is a dime a dozen POG office there to keep morale up, or when morale is impossible, use fear and violence to keep men fighting past their reasonable limits. If a comissar actually has anything to do besides administer punishment citations or floggings on behalf of the actual commander, shots gone pear shaped anyway

Atleast that POG part is mentioned upon in Cains stories

it's a relatable character forced into tough situations, where they often must kill their own men or have their entire force destroyed. it gives a good opportunity for showcasing how weak a human feels in 40k and how disgusting the frontlines can get.

No one cares about that robo-written dogshit.

>NCO rank that's allowed to shoot officers for any reason he can justify to an unattentive bureaucracy later

Hmmmmmm

All true, though I think authors make a mistake trying to make the IG out to be like a modern fighting force, or at the very least a post Napoleonic fighting force. The IG is very deeply stratified, commanders are often literal nobles, officers come from special colleges where they are often raised from childhood to BE officers, your average grunt seldom has a chance to rise above NCO, partially because your average grunt is a fucking dirt farming inbred peasant with a stock rifle and a suit of armor that's the equivilant of an oven mitt

It's true though, the Comissar is specifically noted to be outside the chain of command and if they're gonna go blamming officers they better have a damn good reason. Even Gaunt, suest of the comissars, makes note of this. Partially this is because having Giants hands tied by beauocracy makes for better drama, but also because Comissars can't just go around murdering Imperial Nobles under most normal circumstances.

It's hard to make general statements about the Imperial Guard at all, really, given that they draw from a vast number of worlds operating in a fairly broad set of socioeconomic contexts and cultural backgrounds and all that.

So the ease of upwards mobility probably varies from planet to planet- though not from regiment to regiment. A more egalitarian world might allow any sufficiently gifted citizen of the Imperium to take on the training, but just about all regiments are doomed to take on 'some foreign prick of a trumped-up general' or something.

It's really only the standardization of the gear (speaking generally) and the (somewhat) more controlled indoctrination/education of the officer-types that ensures the Imperial Guard can retain that feel of a unified fighting force tied intrinsically to Imperial identity, far as I can guess.

Oh shit is that Jurgen? Nigger is nasty AF.

How did Cain die?

Old age.

He didn't. The Munitorium wouldn't be paying the salary of a dead man, you fool.

It is unknown as of yet.

It mentions in one of the books, the one where he becomes The Liberators I think, that he has returned when assumed dead that the administratum refuse to officially declaration dead to avoid the confusion.

His is on the active service list despite being buried with full military honours.

If his demise is no ambiguous I will be disappointed.

>Blond
>Ass
>Orange power armor
Is Inquisitor Vail secretly Samus?

>Orange power armor

I thought it was golden and that she wasnt an amazon.

>Nope,
Let me guess, you're one of those people who think that if Cadia falls, the Eye of Terror expands to eat the whole galaxy? Well that's not the case and is something that has merely been blown out of proportion due to ignorance and the game of telephone that is the internet.

The pylons on Cadia do not hold back the Eye of Terror. They in fact help Chaos more than the Imperium, because they maintain the Cadian Gate, the one stable warp route in and out of the Eye of Terror.

And the 13th Black Crusade isn't certain to succeed at any length.

>tfw no Jurgen of the Imperium interludes in Cain novels

Golden, and she's described (by Cain) as very beatiful when dressed up, so you have to assume she's not a muscle-bound hulk.

Bump

Nice headcanon, user. How about you actually read the Black Legion supplement and Csm codex. Specically the portion about the Crimson Path.

He was buried with full military honors but the Munitorium still has him on active duty because of the ridiculous amount of times he went MIA and then returned to Imperium forces. Eventually they decided, "Yeah know what? Fuck it! No matter what you hear, just keep this guy labeled as being on active duty".

There you go, user. :^)

"Huh, mind wipes exist. Maybe I should write this down so I don't forget, just in case."

I like the idea that some quill-pusher had just finished sorting out his death paperwork for the nth time when BZAM "Sorry about the warp gate, had to escape somehow. Anyway, I'm back!"
And then the administratum peon just started swearing, scribbled "fucker's immortal, don't bother changing" on the folder and went for drinks.

Its amazing how much bother you save yourself in both Fantasy and 40k fluff if you ignore the post Black Crusade/Storm of Chaos fluff completely.

Cadia is gone user. It blew up.

If Cain's books get repetitive after a while, Amberley comment are way worse. 75% it's useless "so I've heard". The last 25% are fine, but that lady must look like a tool to her colleagues reading the archive.

If real life commissars are any indication, they also have role in justice, accounting, recruitment, training and logistics. Basically anything that isn't leading troops.

Hey, I enjoyed Medusa V, even if it was a little silly.

The Medusa V IG intro mentioned the headhunters of Chanak. That alone makes it fine in my books.

Its just better sometimes user

>Why did Ciaphas Cain write down his memoirs? He wrote down some pretty sensitive information.

Yes, he does even remark on that himself. He says something along the lines of "why the hell am I even bothering with this, the Inquisition will never let it be published anyway",

Anyway, I guess when you're an old and retired teacher you have nothing better to do anyway.

Does he even fuck non-Amberly women anymore?

But an, that'd involve ignoring TW WH preventing the End Times.

He once mentions that there is only place for one insanely murderous woman in his life so probably no

Well, there is a Sister of Battle at his school doing some of the teaching but I think she's shacked up with some administrator dude.

There's no question about bit. The Battle Sister Teacher was doing the horizontal jig with, I think it was, the Dean.

she's semi-retired in a teaching position though, not on active duty, and they were sneaking around

Its a propaganda image.

He also hates bolt-weapons, and would NEVER duel-wield Bolters by choice. He far greatly prefers a laspistol and chainsword/power sword.