/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Undead Games Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
Seeing as last thread some people were talking about reviving "dead" games, I was wondering what actually dead games were actually brought back, and how?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!WdUxzRQb!Pdd0VncukXw7uIB9mOzR1gU9EiEVh2jAwOaQu0mS1eQ
mega.nz/#!zV0jBQqS!ywnihn_iMmweC29K72pUh7qovL226NUYRY-QRiNumnw
mega.nz/#!KZNgyTrJ!ssBraBjwOUNJSuSBACV2TdELdJlTj5dyjAj21H5OWWM
grandduchyofstollen.blogspot.co.nz/2017/01/issue-1-of-wargamers-notes-quarterly.html
grandduchyofstollen.blogspot.co.nz/2016/10/tinkering-with-rules.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>That moment when you bring up all quiet on the martian front
>ends up as the main picture for a new /awg/ thread

I know I look autistic but fuckin A it feels good.

Speaking of dead games can someone tell me of what essentially happened to DUST? Paulo Parente fucked it right? But how?

From what I hear, he had a very specific vision of how he wanted the game to be played, that being: with the grids, rather than inches/cm. It's sort of a niche game driven by the overwhelming amount of sales of the German tank-walkers, so after switching publishers a handful of times, the game basically just died out.

What a shame. I always hated the grid thing for wargames but that's me.

Really wish we had a weird war setting with great minis like DUST had. Then again I'd love a ww2 game set 1946+ that was more grounded in reality too but that's me.

Konflict '47 which is heavily based on bolt action can be used with as little of the weird as you want!?!

Basically this, or just take the Bolt Action rules and add your 1946 "realistic" weapons to it. Rules for the Maus and the IS-3 are already in the game, so you could look at these and base other 45+ tanks upon their profiles.

Ok?!?!? Thanks user?!??!

Didn't know bolt action had rules for the maus.

>I was wondering what actually dead games were actually brought back, and how?
When Kraken Editions went out of business some fans bought Alkemy and are now releasing new models and rules for the game.

It's not the same anymore though.

>I was wondering what actually dead games were actually brought back, and how?
Warzone with Warzone Resurrection.

For the user in the last thread who wanted to know where I got my This is Not a Test warband from they are kitbashed mostly from Warlord Games plastic kit's

They've got bits from: Winter Soviets, USMC, US Army, US Airborne, German Grenadiers and a few bits from the Apocalypse Survivors and Biker Gang sprues.

The heads are from a Polish site called roleplayupkit and the brass etch is from Hasslefree.

Wow, that looks really awesome.

With a Lasgun you'd have a very nice Steel Legion soldier as well.

Cheers, the pics of the others are in the archived thread. I'm working on a couple more today so I might post them later.

Looking forward to see the new pics.

You really make me want to buy some of these survivor sprues to start convert my own.

>With a Lasgun you'd have a very nice Steel Legion soldier as well.
You know, mad robot has every single part of the steel legionnaire's body as separate bit, but are not selling them for fear of a C&D I assume.
They're called stormtrooper or something like that. If you were to order a custom squad made up of those parts you'd essentially have multipart steel legion miniatures.
They even have the aquila shaped buckles and all.

Page 8 bump.

Anyone have the Horizon Wars pdf? I'm interested in reading it.

God, those new minis...

I really wish Mantic would release Firefight on Mantic Digital as I want to see the changes they made to the proof read of the final PDF so I can see what I need to add to my mass of Deadzone models

Alright user, here's the pdf - but promise me to buy either the book or a boxed set from Mantic if you like it.

mega.nz/#!WdUxzRQb!Pdd0VncukXw7uIB9mOzR1gU9EiEVh2jAwOaQu0mS1eQ

Mind posting the new ones vs the old ones?

Pictures for ants, because I'm on my phone, but the old ones:

And the new ones:

the guy in the red pants was the first new model.
Part of the problem is the presentation. The other is quality.
Some of the newer stuff doesn't look quite as terrible, still hit and miss though.

why is the tripod on the left wielding tennis balls?

Oh god, that middle pic.

There really needs to be more of advertising for All Quiet on the Martian front.

And maybe a rebranding to a shorter name because damn that doesn't even make for a good acronym.

I'm still surprised every time I am reminded it's not actually a dead game/miniatures line. And that shouldn't be the case, because of all the sci-fi games of recent times this one at least had something going for it in setting and style.

Mech-scale gas grenades.

I mean, it seems pretty cheap to get into. Wayland Games is selling the starter set for $80.

> Be strong, clarence

What are some wargames that are 15mm or less in size? I know about DZ:C and DW, but what else is there?

Thanks kindly user, I'm downloading as I type and don't worry I most certainly will be buying something from mantic again. I'll be getting the fluff book with this when it drops and I just ordered Nexus Psi about 30 mins ago as it's not digital.

Cheers again :)

Flames of War, All quiet on the martian front

Epic 40k and Warmaster (both discontinued,but you scan still find models)

Cheeky user didn't ask if you had the Warpath and setting pdf's so I'll be cheekier and ask, if you're willing oh holder of PDF goodness?

I'm sure any user who acess's will spend at Mantic as a Thank You

Gruntz, pretty much everything by Nordic Weasel, All the DBx games including Hordes of the Things, Laserburn, Alien Squad Leader.

There's a lot of shit, also many games that aren't specifically for =

Grunts and Tomorrow's War is also written to be playable in both 28mm or 15mm

15mm.co.uk has a selection of 15mm rule systems. Worth a look

Alrite, here they are:
mega.nz/#!zV0jBQqS!ywnihn_iMmweC29K72pUh7qovL226NUYRY-QRiNumnw

mega.nz/#!KZNgyTrJ!ssBraBjwOUNJSuSBACV2TdELdJlTj5dyjAj21H5OWWM

One more request - if you play a game, write a report about it, how the system played, how did you like the games, etc. Would like to hear people's opinions on it.

Also, wonder how much new stuff I'll need for my Enforcers - right now I have around a dozen painted minis plus a lot of unpainted ones. Seeing how they are the third army I've painted with the same light grey (first is Bauhaus, second is Afterlife Unity Council), it gets a bit boring.

Cheers user. Thanks for the set, always nice when someone asks and someone can supply.
I went in really heavy on the first Deadzone, enough to get the slipcase rules, hardback rules, the resin reb and the resin stage 1. Whilst I was waiting I got the Enforcers army set and a beginner Forge Father's set.

I hobby overloaded, stepped away for 18months/ 2 years and just returned to my Mantic pile! So I'm building and looking at the freebie Deadzone 2 rules I'm doing ok but the amount I've got I thought sod it Firefight it is, so cheers I'll look into some lists and give it a spin :)

Good luck with your Enforcer lot, yeah going grey after Bauhaus might be a bit difficult. Maybe introduce a different colour for the rest of your squads, with grey in there to unite it as a combined set. Or even respay and start a fresh. I think Mantic could be onto a winner with this lot!

* Respray not respay whatever that is

Nah, a unified army will look great - I might need to take some breaks, which wouldn't be a problem as I have other armies as well.

Do you have any good color schemes for the FF? I got a bunch of them as freebies, got a set of Forge Guards for cheap, and traded a sprue of the new figures for some Brokkrs. Enough for a Deadzone warband I'd say, but will need some reinforcements in the future. Wish they'd step away from metal tho, the Loren Chard mini was pretty shit to work with and I'm not looking forward doing my DZ metal characters either.

Yeah it's nice when you can put down a nice looking force united by painting, great idea.
I stuck to the Mantic colours for the Brokkrs, but my forge guard I did in yellow and red like iron man.
Yeah the metals are a bit up and down. To be fair to restic, which I never thought I'd say, but they seem to use it well- but it's got more details all over than the plastic. Yeah the knees are better in plastic but when it isn't butchered that restic is nice (apart from the lines of doom flash)

I put mine up on the mantic forum when I had a little return in April this yeah, in the Deadzone Forge Father's section, but I'm back on the hobby fully now!

PJs matter a lot though their new cats are amongst their weakest.

Are those the only games that have dedicated model lines for them? Because most of the other ones is see being mentioned here either only have rules or only have models.

No they are not, if you check out 15mm.co.uk there are plenty of rules that have models for them. Sci-fi and fantasy ranges

To be quite frank restic was much better than metal. Most of my enforcers are from that, they are cheaper, lightweight, and besides the mouldlines, no negative points to be honest.

I can only agree, just some of my Enforcers in restic have been how can I put it - rather enthusiastically been snipped before they've arrived and lost bits of their belts and shoulder pads. But the detail is great and other than the lines really impressed with what they can do with PVC and far better than their metals

Anyone have a PDF of Five Parsecs from Home? I've got a tonne of miscellaneous scifi dudes that I'd like to use.

Good to see they fixed the Shields problem.

I'm still not sold on Suppression in Warpath.

So I'm looking at the miniatures on there and the miniatures really seem to fluctuate in quality. What are some of the better lines on their?

Wheres a good place to pick up high quality 28mm western models on the cheap. I'm especially interested getting some native american or union peices

Yeah, the devs are still kick ass trying to put shit out too. The BEF land ship is on the roster for release along with the martian overseer.

and 80 bucks for what you get in the starter isn't bad too.

A little taller than 28mm, but Black Scorpion does some nice Western figs.
I ended up buying most of the Tombstone line a bit back, and they're pretty nice. It's a shame they're resin, but nobody's perfect.

Perry does plastic kits for the american war of independence.
Their indians are metal but pretty nice, though not quite as cheap.
Wargames Factory had plastic woodland indians, these should be sold by warlord these days.
Foundry also has metal indians that are a bit more affordable than the perry metals I think.

And yeah, Black Scorpion for random cowboys is good. Reaper also has a bunch of models that might fit the style. Cowboys mostly, but a few month ago they released some 'victorian' civilians that would work as townsfolk too I think.

Ion age is the sci-fi game that gets the most attention from the guy running the company. I'm signed up to their newsletter and that's the range that gets new models and the most offers

anybody has pdf of Deus Vult 'Burn and loot' here?

Thank you user. I'm a Mantic Fanboy who came back to the hobby after the warpath KS. I bought in black friday hundreds of Warpath miniatures in retail (more or less 400 xD) and it is a shit to dont have the rulebook and dont being able to get it anywhere.

Now the hard part. Teach other ppl to play and promote the game :)

I too like Mantic, good value and nice models for that value. I'm glad that they have realised that kickstarter, although good for fans, has dented their appeal with retail stores and this has had a noticeable knock-on effect with post kickstarter support instore. Here's hoping that this means more Mantic gaming instore and they can get a better footing so they are improving as they grow.

Foundry minis are quite a gem, specially the fantasy ones. A bit pricey.

You know, I just realized I have never seen a single advertisement for any wargame that was not on a company newsletter or on the game site itself. That's a bit weird, no?

4-5GBP for a single shitty model is not just a "bit" pricey.

I welcome the Foundry nymphs being back in production again, but fuck me if I'll pay that much when I want the entire range.

>That's a bit weird, no?
You only tend to see them in magazine like Wargames Illustrated or other stuff aimed at the target audience.
Placing ads in mainstream media is more expensive and also mostly gonna be a waste of money.
Add to that, that most small companies already operate on a shoestring budget.

Even Reaper only has 20 people or so on staff.

Oh yeah, I forgot wargaming magazines were a thing.

More of a thing in the UK.

The new Miniature Wargames hasn't quite got over the transition from Miniature Wargames With Battlegames - the old editor was pretty great, but a new company bought the mag and wanted to bring it more in line with their other Veeky Forums mag. The new editor's not bad - it's Treadway, guy who does the Hammer's Slammers wargame - but there are some style things I dislike. Teething pains, hopefully.

Wargamer's Notebook is interesting as a free PDF mag, but because it's ridiculous ancient grogs they want you to email them and they'll reply with the PDF attached, rather than putting it up somewhere for download.

Lone Warrior is still good and I need to resub to it actually, let it lapse.

Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy is still one of those where I look the issue over for its contents before deciding whether I want to buy it, it's hit & miss for me.

I still look at Wargames Illustrated, but... it's usually miss.

They have some nice ex-Citadel stuff too.

They do Christmas discounts, I think this year's was "buy 8 £12 packs, get 2 free, buy 16, get 6 free." Not cheap, but if you don't mind saving all year and placing a big order (which should easily get free shipping), the "buy £192, get £72 free" deal isn't too shabby.

>because it's ridiculous ancient grogs they want you to email them and they'll reply with the PDF attached, rather than putting it up somewhere for download.

That's bloody ridicu...

>ridiculous ancient grogs

also one of the articles is "next (quarterly) issue I'll give you my set of horse & musket rules! let me talk about how cool they'll be first."

To be fair, another article talks about principles of designing a simple game and includes a half-page set of horse & musket rules.

It's neat, and has some pretty pictures, but hopefully the next issue has more to it.

There is a neat article on the 9th Cape War, and another nice piece on the Russo-Japanese War at sea. There's a little cartoon with wargamer humour that I actually laughed at, for a change.

grandduchyofstollen.blogspot.co.nz/2017/01/issue-1-of-wargamers-notes-quarterly.html

If you're a nerd, it's worth a look. You do at least get a polite personal email back from them.

>also one of the articles is "next (quarterly) issue I'll give you my set of horse & musket rules! let me talk about how cool they'll be first."
incidentally, it's these rules: grandduchyofstollen.blogspot.co.nz/2016/10/tinkering-with-rules.html

Maybe he's tweaked them a bit since then.

>Wargamer's Notebook is interesting as a free PDF mag, but because it's ridiculous ancient grogs they want you to email them and they'll reply with the PDF attached, rather than putting it up somewhere for download.

That is pretty ridicous. Also, just sent an email for a subscription.

I would have posted the PDF, but... well, fuck it, why not let the old grogs have their fun? Someone else'll stick it in a trove eventually, I'm sure.

I too have signed up for this publication

Heh, you sure proved to those young punks that the old grogs are not to be trifled with.

By young punks you mean thirty-something, right? Ain't exactly like the average wargamer age is getting any younger. (Especially if you take X-Wing/Warhammer out of the mix)

Hey guys.

What do you think about a coop-wargame? Every player controls a very small warband (different factions and a few diferent abilities for the factions) against a GM who in turn controls some recurring "villains", but also a lot of mooks and NPCs, Mordheim style but with a story or arc, a set of missions with consequences depending on your success.

Of course the GM wouldn't really care for winning that much

I'm not sure if it's a good alternative to RPGs and skirmish games or if coop is something best left for games with AIs.

Doesn't seem that interesting for DM. Most coop games work on the idea of working against the board.

I'm the one who posted that... I don't know man, I'd gladly do it, I mean, I can't see myself playing that other than GMing it.

I'd love to run the recurring villains and creating interesting stories.

But that's why I'm asking. Maybe you guys don't think it's doable or it pushes too much into RPG territory to the point of being just kinda dungeon crawler

Yeah I have to agree with the other guy. Sounds like it's more of a thing you'd do in a board game, like a dungeon crawler or that type of game. Not that that's a bad thing.

Yours sounds a bit more of a RPG with figures idea. Again not a bad idea, if that's what you want but the scope for fun as the DM might just be your thing. Even running the co-op vs evil DM (descent type games) I'd rather play than run. Plus I'd also prefer an AI system so it's fully co-op or even solo play enable

Been flicking through those pdf's and really enjoying the games and the background. Firefight is my main focus, and I've ordered some Asterians to bolster what I've got and some extra 3rd stages to bolster my plague.

I should be able to make 1250's for Enforcers (actually a lot more than 1250), Forge Father's, Asterians and Plague. I think I might just be able to squeeze Marauders as well.

Gonna try and run through the rules and build and paint something once I decide which one I want to focus on. Then build second best so I can at least demo. I'll try and post what happens, even if I have to solo it!!

How many different war games do you guys play?

/awg/ any reason why there aren't any good mech combat games with good minis?

Love battletech and the universe but the minis they show suck and the hex grid movement doesn't appeal to me. Anyone know any mech combat tabletops that are popular, have good minis, and have good rules?

I've seen co-op done for Vietnam before. Players versus Vietcong that are either card driven or rolled on a table when terrain or othhr landmarks are approached.

Heavy Gear? Or are those mechs not big enough for you?

At least it's not Yahoo groups

>Bolt action
>wanted to play warmahordes but too expensive
>Just dipped my toes into FFG's X-wing
>Thinking about picking up bloodbowl
>Thinking about getting into blood and plunder
>Thinking about getting into black powder
>REALLY want to try out all quiet on the martian front.

That's about it. Just started war gaming. Looking for a system to play alongside bolt action that I really like but so far haven't found anything that scratches that itch.

Erm I have plenty for at least 15-20+ games and by that I mean at least two reasonable sides (some games many more than two armies) annoyingly even with the mountains of resin, PVC, plastic and metal I rarely get to play. Generally I'm limited to about 2 or 3 and whatever I can run solo so maybe another 2 or 3 games :(

Have you looked at Alpha Strike, Battletech without the hex's? Your still stuck with their mechs, but the plastic ones aren't too bad. Or use heavy gears models?
I believe horizon wars is a rule system with mechs in the game, but no model line attached.

Is warpath 6mm or 28mm? I'm finding videos for both on youtube.

28mm but it's element based so it can work with other scales fairly easily.

Ehh don't really like the kinda anime human aesthetic of it. Personally like the industrial gritty kinda look that DUST and battletech have.

Never heard about it till now. I'll have to check it out.

Other than that I guess I might just have to wait for 40k's titanicus game to come out.

Reaper have a game called CAV, the minis might not be to your taste (I dunno) but the rules are free and allow for a fair amount of mech customisation so you could find other models you do like and use those with the system.

I swore there was a mech game on here not too long ago that just got kickstarted or something that looked promising.

How very bizarre! Erm yeah first is heard of 6mm being used! Well it's only just started being shipped out to those who backed the game on kickstarter so any videos will be sparse on the new system. I think it's being branded as Warpath 2.0, because the other Warpath II never left beta testing!

There is two games: Firefight which is 28/32mm medium skirmish (20ish figures)
Warpath itself is it's large scale mass battle system which as mentioned it's element based so no reason why it wouldn't work scaled down!

Yeah you might be safe with the Titanicus game, but I'd imagine you better start saving your money!!!

* Is should of course be - are two games. Sorry poor form, I was typing to fast!

Oh yeah... hopefully it doesn't rape my wallet too much.

There was supposed to be an Armored Core board game come out but, the guys making it couldn't get the all clear from Fromsoftware ( god that feels awkward to type out) so they had to call it something else.

user, its GW. Of course it's gonna rape your wallet, that's what they do.

At 15-20 games I don't feel so bad. I already have Warhammer 40k and Infinity armies and was starting to get into other war games as well. Considering Warmachine/Hordes as well as grabbing Frostgrave and Rogue Stars rule books and thinking about a large formation style fantasy Wargame or possibly Age of Sigmar instead.

Didn't want too many wargames especially since I've started to get into boardgames too and also like to shoot a lot.

I noticed they have 6mm infantry bases on their website for sale under warpath but all the models themselves are 28mm. I wonder if they are planning a 6mm release.