World Names

What do you like in a world name?

What triggers you in a world name?

Have you noticed that Scifi world names tend to differ from Fantasy world names?

Do the creatures in your "Earth" call it "Earth" or know that it has a name? Who named it that? Is it different in every language?

What's the name of your world?

(I use the word "world" because some fantasy world-building doesn't even accommodate the idea of a "planet")

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_in_science_fiction
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inb4 Middle Earth

A is for Autism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_in_science_fiction

Nelfrothdor, my brother mumbled it when he was wasted.

I mainly do Science Fiction, I try to base their names off locations in the real world (i.e. Concord, New Wales, Rapa Nui). Or it shares a prime (Zecras Prime). Or it just has a number.

I usually dont have fantasy settings as planets or surrounded by space at all.

It's a flat world with a firmament. Fire is made of phlogiston. Fuck you.

Did you not read the last line in the OP or are you just an idiot in general?

Nirn
Trololol

>Alien planet
>Aliens call it something biblical or mythical like "Cerberus" or "Antioch"

REEEEE

But thats j-just what we hear through our translator modules though r-right user?

Society hasn't evolved yet for people to have a holistic planetary identity.

just "the city"

>New X
>(Biblical location)
>Star + Roman numeral
>"Terra Nova" or "Gaia"

>not always using star + number just like real life planetary categorization

Gaia is great though, a nice mix of both futuristic and mystical connotations.

Terra Nova is just boring sci-fi shlock though.

Aliens tend to follow a similar naming system.

Gaia is a great meme, but its been overused by animu

In Star Trek that's kind of what is happening. Either we have our own name for it and we just call it that, or we call it a translated version of their name, or we just call it their name, whatever is easiest. Romulans are Rihansu from Rihan. Klingons are from Q'o'nos which humans tend to just call Kronos and they simple have a species name seperate from their world like humans instead of tying up their national identity to their location. Naming schemes are very inconsistent in Star Trek due to the inconsistencies in human thought and the differences in the alien mindsets and cultures.

Other sci-fi? It's because Star Trek did it.

"Earth" is really lackluster. Especially when all the other planets in the system have cool Greek names.

Every planet has its official designation like Alpha Ori 4a, meaning the first moon of the fourth planet of Alpha Ori.

This is usually shortened to their proper name, for example Sol 3 would be Earth.

Finally, there's the improper/colloquial/cultural name, which is usually stuff like Earth or Terra for the homeworld, Gregory's Landing if it's some shitheap of a rock that some captain Gregory discovered, or whatever else people come up with.

In our universe. Remember you're posting on a board where 99% of shit is totally make-believe. OP isn't asking for our universe facts he asked creative questions.

>"Terra Nova"
>New England
>New France
>New Spain
>New Cartagena
>New York
>New Orléans
>New Mexico
>NEW FUCKING MEXICO
>NEW NEW SPAIN

Gaia is greek for Earth deity, but it's already an anime meme apparently

Gaia
Tellus
Terra
SuperPlanet 3-Billion

>Planet [incumbent POTUS]
I'm already looking forward to Planet Trump.

I'm in the process of creating a world for a 5th edition D&D campaign called Ayarel. I originally intended the name to be a play on the term IRL (in real life), because the setting was originally going to be a world identical to our own. Since then, I've scrapped that idea and now my world has a more typical fantasy feel to it.

I mean, I quite like the system we already have in place. In a fictional humans exist, there's no reason why they couldn't use the same method.

It also implies a sort of hierarchy to worlds; backwater mining colonies and research stations and the like are solely referred to with their official designation; you're not going to be talking about them outside of an administrative scenario.

Planets that are referred to with their semi-official name are fairly productive or well known worlds that everyone generally knows about, but they aren't THAT important.

Planets that are almost always referred to by their cultural name are extremely important worlds, or extremely famous for some reason or another, eclipsing even the name of their star.

There's a big difference between talking about "The Aldebaran system's fifth planet, Dawson's Jewel" and "Dawson's Jewel, fifth planet of the Aldebaran system"

>Welcome to planet Dirt

Welcome to Concord, main military base for the UTC against the Gaa covenant. One continent has been glassed, and it is under threat by Gaa incursions. It sucks to live here.

Terra
Homeworld
Origin
Manhome
Crown of Sol

"Dirkhamster"
I lost a bet with a player.

Bob