/STG/ - Star Trek General

Terrible Jem'Hadar Flying Edition

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
>mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

/stg/ Errata

The Adventures of the Ark Royal Crew (an /stg/ setting)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

The history of Klingon Civil Rights/Star Trek artwork (more /stg/ headcanon)
>klingonhistory.weebly.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aDqMPvz-f0bVJ1bjcyTVF6VUU/view?usp=sharing
starbaseugc.com/
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10340523-the-tzenkethi-are-coming
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What's the weather like out there Warrior?
>Dunno, lemme check
>It's raining Jem'Hadar attack ships!
>It is a good day to -
>All hands lost

Come to think of it, is there a Klingon equivalent to the Miranda class? I.e. the whipping boy of the fleet that just keeps getting blown up?

Probably the BoP, if anything.

It's a fragile little thing.

Absolutely the B'rel Bird of Prey. Those things have an even worse survival rate than the Miranda class. The K'vort, by comparison survives pretty well.

>Dominon War at its peak
>Miranda class patrolling quieter sectors while newer and better armed ships are sent to the front lines.
>Pursue sightings of Jem'Hadar Attack Ships in the area because it's manned by third-rate crew who have no idea what they're actually up against
>Arrive at the scene of Vor'cha being torn apart in OP's pic related.
>Raise shields, battle stations.
>Dominion ships warp out without spotting them
>Crew breathes collective sigh of relief.
>Lower shields and begin searching for survivors to beam aboard
>Microscopic debris from the wreckage punctures the viewscreen and destroys the bridge
>All hands lost

>Miranda on supply mission
>brain fluid turned into alcohol because that's apparently something that can happen
>despite being drunk and horny, the crew manage to navigate the ship back to a starbase to receive assistance.
>Klingon ship also docked at starbase
>comms officer hails them to start shit-talking Khaless
>fight ensues
>all hands lost

It that had ended with
>Fight ensues
>Ship banned from argo
>All pants lost

It would have been perfect

youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8

>Miranda on patrol
>Bolian crewmember takes a dump in the wrong toilet
>All hands lost

>Miranda on patrol
>Accident with a wood chipper occurs
>All hands lost but crew is still alive

>Miranda in Spacedock
>Ship's first officer decides to play a game of cards against the station commander
>all hands lost

If only we had a drawfag to make comics out of these all hands lost jokes.

Wasn't there someone making a game out of it?

good morning Veeky Forums

reposting this: drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aDqMPvz-f0bVJ1bjcyTVF6VUU/view?usp=sharing

and after witnessing a Star Wars new canon debate I'm suddenly grateful for the simple divide between Memory Alpha and Beta.

sss

What's the source on this? Some sort of show pitch?

>on mobile so I only got down to halfway through Starfleet Academy Simulator 2k17 before it crashed
Still, looks good fampai.

Also, what was the shitsling about? Surely it's just the same divide as Canon/Legends on the SW wiki?

Based on nacelle position and saucer shape (as well as "the first adventure" and use of DS9(?) font), I'd hazard that this was an early concept for the NX Class

WTF am I listening to?

How did in not know I needed this in my life?

The rest of the album is so-so but Argo Statiom is very catchy.

Transport eighteen is pretty good too.

So pity us poor sailors where ever we gooo for there's no way of telling if we'll ever come hoooome!

Following Star Trek 5 there was serious concern about being able to make another film, so a pitch was made for a prequel to be made with mainly cheaper, younger cast primarily for the crew on a first adventure on an older ship.
The design there is what was proposed for the Enterprise that had become a training ship due to it's age, much as what happened with 1701.

They've not had the Canon divide as long as we have. Plus a lot of the inconsistencies in Beta canon are described as happening in in alternate timelines, which gives Trek fans the simple work-around of conflating the Destiny/Typhon Pact/STO/assorted vidya timelines with the Mirror Universe. Just different combinations of the same players.

By comparison, the Star Wars EU was, in theory, all one continuous story. Without that ingrained disconnect, they've suddenly had that ripped away from them (except not really, because it's not like Disney went and burned every copy of the Thrawn trilogy.)

With regards to the Veeky Forums community for Star Wars, nothing has really changed as Disney hasn't made changes to the Lucas Films deal with FFG.

So what's the story with this old /v/ fleet? Do they have access restrictions on buying fleet gear?

As a janitor (i know im officially called an officer but whatever) i say you can buy stuff as long as you contribute to starbase construction (and at the moment TOS era station construction).

If you were asking for what is available, well almost everything is maxed out, except for the starbase itself and the TOS station.

Im getting online now so if you need a fleet invitation or something just call me on /v/ chat.

Nope, wait, never mind.
Im officially called a janitor.

I'm basically just looking for the Diplomatic Plasma Explosion Consoles. I've given about 80k dilithium to my current fleet and they still won't let me near them.

Oh, well imo you should get one.

t:Scruffy.

Im off for the night now, if you want some plasma explosion consoles then talk with me tomorrow in game or alternatively go for NoP Public Service chat channel and ask around if there is someone who is willing to invite you to their fleet to buy you some consoles.

t:Scruffy.

Cheers, I'll aim to be on for a while tomorrow

hahaha yeah def not a sheet designed for mobile

the big shitstorm right now is on this SWG server I'm on and whether they will recognize New Canon

so i just saw star trek beyond

8.5/10 good flick, and i don't care for jj trek... or is this one considered JJ trek cause i thought they had a different director that time?

Scotty/Simon Pegg directed this one or codirected it or some shit. Either way Pegg is a Trekkie which might explain why it felt TOS flavoured.

Beyond would be a solid 2-parter for TOS or TNG. It sticks with the style and flow of jjtrek while adopting the more coherent character development of the older shows.

>coherent character development
>literally starts off with kirk going "ermaghurd its hard being a captain its so hard and nobody understands!11!!!!1!"

Characters outside of Kirk/Spock manage to have arcs rather than just being scenery. And At least Kirk's arc wasn't "I need to learn the importance of teamwork and authority" yet again.

To be fair, he did say they've never been in space for that long without hitting a port before.

No, instead it was "I'm super veteran and jaded because I expected someone who betrayed us twice to do it again, someone find this poor baby a counselor."

He's also still younger than prime Kirk was when he first became Captain of the Enterprise, so has much less experience dealing with this shit. He didn't have years of command training under other Captain's; he was just thrown into the chair and left to work shit out himself.

For all the shit Prime universe Starfleet gets, this one is insane.

Do you know what an arc is? You've described a 20 minute portion of the movie from 1 characters perspective, not an arc. For the record, kirks arc (which was the weakest, IMO) was reaffirming that he's where he should be, in the captains seat, and wouldn't last in an admiralty position.

To be honest, Bones' and Spock's friendship was a much more interesting short-term arc.

not him, but pic related

I really don't see how.

Alright, /STG/, I'm relatively new but sick as shit of grinding marks and patrols already. Anybody got any good Foundry missions they'd recommend me?

Already worked my way through the Purity series, as suggested at the tail end of last thread, and it's underwhelming as shit for something so high on the Top Rated list.

I'm not usually one to go posting fanfic but I started working on a short story about a pair of Cardassian snipers during the Klingon invasion and I reckon I'll post a gdrive of it in this thread in the next day or so. See what people think.

On an unrelated note, I used to play BFG and space strategy is my favourite genre of ttg. I know there is a Star Trek miniature game but I was wondering if any of you have played it? Is it any good? Is there a community for it? Would I be better off biting the bullet and going for Dropfleet or Star Wars Armada?

Why doesn't Dukat have a first name?

His first name is Skrain.

Which star trek miniature game do you mean? there's more than 2 at least.

Question: Should Captains of starships ever be in long term relationships with their preferred gender of partner? I mean everyone is free to get married but the life of a captain kind of makes it very complex. Since dating one of your own crew is not allowed by the rules. I mean they can be bent for other crewmen at times. Captains don't have that luxury since it could affect the captain making unbiased decisions about his crew like Picard and that one science officer. Or long distance relationships like the one that happens with Janeway. I don't what the guy saw in her to begin with really. I guess what I'm saying is unless a captain is shown to be married to his job/ship then I call bullshit. That is unless they can really show how it works and developed and is believable. The Troi and Riker thing is what comes to mind or a relationship like Keiko and O'Brien but Miles isn't really a guy who goes zooming all over the galaxy usually and the wife came along most of the time too.

requestion local ship is fucking invincible picture

>Since dating one of your own crew is not allowed by the rules
Is it really? I mean, it's obviously preferred, at least by the captains themselves for various reasons, but I get no indication that it's actually against regs. If they mention it in some episode, it's been violated by many others on many occasions.
But to actually answer your question, it really depends on the missions the captain would tend to be assigned to. I would suppose that, unless a captain is particularly prestigious and gets a long-term exploration assignment, they would be like any other military deployment. I mean, most captains don't start their careers as ship captains; even STO says that the MC's situation is an unusual one done in desperation (though in a military setting it's justified and would probably be normal (if you don't do the tutorial and start out as a lt), especially in a wartime situation like STO starts out as - but Starfleet isn't military :^) ). A younger officer could easily get a spouse, and then keep the spouse until they are captain. And even then, the Galaxy was designed for the families to come along on those long missions, and we know that even on smaller vessels the higher-ups can have family along too (see Sisko). Things might be difficult for captains to gain a new long-term relationship, as a captain, since they are both so busy, and they tend to be older and less inclined to make quick flings into longer things.

Have you tried out the Dark Alliance ones mentioned last thread?

Apparently if you save the Federation from imminent doom, you get to keep the ship you did it with. Even if you are utterly unqualified.

Cardassians don't seem to use first names very much, except with family. Presumably he has one, and it just didn't come up during the show.

He just goes by Dukat, like Cher or Madonna.
If you absolutely insist on one, you have a choice between Skrain, Elmo, and S.G.

For the longest time (DS9 was airing while I was a child) I thought his first name was Gul.

So basically ST TMP Kirk.

>Already worked my way through the Purity series, as suggested at the tail end of last thread, and it's underwhelming as shit for something so high on the Top Rated list.

I guess I just liked the story? I dunno, sorry to hear that. I'll think of a few others for you to try, there's a really good Red October tribute in there that I based one of my STO DMing sessions on

I believe that tribute episode is called Jolan Truth

Back in the day Cryptic spotlighted several foundry missions. I don't know if those are still easy to access or not (haven't touched the foundry since it went down for AoY). If you like a particular mission, you can then try others by that author. You could also look on the forums under the foundry mission database section: there are at least a few lists there of better missions.

Whichever has more of a following, really.

I was the same. It's only now that I'm an adult, rewatching the show, that I was curious what his name was.

Turns out it's Skrain.

Speaking of names, do we ever get to know what Quark's family name is and what a first name for a Vulcan even sounds like?

See, I don't think the Ferengi really go in for family names. After all, they just view them as potential employees. So Quark is much more likely to just be known as Quark of Quark's Bar rather than Quark Keldarson because that's where their culture places emphasis.

As for the issue of Vulcan forenames being unpronounceable by human, I've had an idea;

we see that Vulcans are able to perfectly mimic animal sounds, so they have a much broader vocal range than most humanoid races. So their own original spoken language may sound a more like whale sounds or the like, hence their forenames are impossible to properly convey to non-vulcans.

But when the Vulcans went out into the universe and discovered that nobody else possessed their freakish vocal range, they decided to reform their spoken language to something more palatable because being able to naturally converse with your neighbours is the only logical way to maintain a stable trade/peace treaty. Given that they would also need to be easily identifiable to non-vulcans, they adopted a simple middle-name structure, to be used in formal settings. So Spock and Sarek serve as acceptable identifiers, while their actual names remain something of a personal matter.

Alternately, this happened around the time of Sarek. The Vulcans of the time, "Sargon's people" had this elaborate language whilst the "people of the raptor" used a more traditional humanoid structure. This became one of the cornerstones of their conflict and their linguistic divide ultimately stopped peace from ever being achieved. After the fact, one of Sargon's people, came forward and proposed, amongst other things, that they do away with their language and embrace logic, adopting the name Sarek as a sign of his devotion to a new people, a Vulcan people.

once starbaseugc.com/ comes back up that will be a valuable resource

Why is there no internet in Star Trek. I get that there's computer databases that can be accessed accross the Federation, but that's essentially just the Wiki-portion of our modern day internet. So Why isn't there a omnipresent set of education, entertainment and public forum sites?

How do we know there isn't? Most of the shows were made before the internet got to be even remotely well known/accessible so wasn't being included in the stories for lack of familiarity either by the writers or for the audience, and most of what's shown in the shows is military crews out on a frontier perpetually travelling and not really in a state to access such a thing.

TNG is delightfully cyberpunk in some ways. I love watching them carry tablets to each other instead of using intra ship email.

The only place it would really be visible would be on DS9.

I have a theory that the Internet is banned between planets, or at least severely limited, because the possibilities for espionage are nearly endless.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10340523-the-tzenkethi-are-coming

Yeah, i just noticed that too.
Wonder what sorta ships they are gonna fly.

Reskinned Voth dragon dildo ships.

Looks dull as fuck.

What are these ayy lmaos doing in my bumpy forehead game?

My guess is they will be the targets of next season.

Purple space rhino season will open "soon".
I hope all of you got your hunting guns ready!

The look like knock off Sangheli from Halo.

Has anybody here played attack wing? Is it any good?

Yeah, the foundry spotlight's up there again, but given the "5/10 it was okay" of some of the content of them (the polish was great, but it felt almost - but not quite - as untrekky as Cryptic's missions).

Dark Alliance was pretty damn good (user last thread was right, the ST:III reference was pretty well done) and I liked being reunited with my 23c waifu afterwars but holy shit we need a Part 3 soon.

Mirror Wars is good so far, although I gave my ship a mirror self loadout as well as costume because I'm autistic like that :^)

Ask the fucking power armoured spiders and shapeshifting moist...things.

So is there actually still a decent number of people making foundry missions?

I have no idea - I'm relatively new to the game, but there are a decent few foundry missions out there. Dark Alliance is a good one, but it seems like Ep3 is never gonna happen. Probably the case with a lot of others.

A while back(we're talking a couple years now) there was a sudden lull on the foundry that seemed to stretch on for months. I haven't seriously looked at the foundry since. I assumed it was all farming missions now. The more you know, I guess.

yes

There's even a discord and website dedicated to it

Okay, so it was asked about Janeway and the Generic Injun a few threads back - but did Data and Yar fugg in The Naked Now?

I'd say so. I like to think that it's one of the reasons why they became so close and why Data found it so hard to let go of Tasha after her death.

>I have a theory that the Internet is banned between planets, or at least severely limited, because the possibilities for espionage are nearly endless.
Instantaneous interstellar communication is probably extremely expensive.

Ask /bgg/

>Star Trek General
>on /traditional games/
>filled with OC and STO talk
>tells user asking about a trek-related tabletop game to go elsewhere
>pic related

Damn, so he never got frisky with jenna? Was he just programmed to have a thing for QT security officers with short cuts?

He says as much in 'Measure of a Man'.

Maybe Dr Soong wanted Data to fulfill his ERP dreams by getting "disrespected so good" by an angry Security officer.

It's okay. Feels a lot like a mix of Clix and X-Wing, and the figures are, sadly, all about the same size. They're also not really well painted for the earlier waves.

I doubt anyone here's played the game.

Huh, wonder what Zimmerman was into?

Again,
>/stg/
>on Veeky Forums
>in the OP for forever
despair.png

It's decent. If you've played X-wing it's very similar to that. It focuses around outmaneuvering your opponents and knowing their strengths and weaknesses. in order to start playing you're probably looking at €60(or the equivalent in your currency) to get started, with the mandatory core set(all the peices you need as well as 3 ships) and a couple of expansions.

The only thing I'll say is that the community is pretty sparse. Unless your local hobbyshop is particularly niche you're unlikely to find randomers to play against. If you're going to get this, then get it with a couple of friends so that you know you have peopl to play with. In that case you can very easily spread to cost out and buy a bigger fleet.

>€60(or the equivalent in your currency)
So $60 USD.

>asking /bbg/ for info on a miniature collecting game
>asking /bbg/ for any help, ever
Nice one bro, I chuckled.