What's supposed to happen once the body of a lich has been completely destroyed?

What's supposed to happen once the body of a lich has been completely destroyed?
I know the lich won't die as long as its phylactery is safe, but how is it coming back from being turned into a pile of ashes?
Is the lich supposed to become a ghostly magus taking over another one's corpse to subsist, or is the phylactery generating another body somehow?
And if so, does it still look like a rotten skeleton or is it closer-looking to what the lich used to be before the transformation since it's supposed to be "brand new"?

Other urls found in this thread:

managore.itch.io/death-of-a-lich
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

New body materializes around the phylactery (or at nearest possible point.)

The phylactery typically creates a new body through magical means in D&D, though the actual process isn't particularly concrete or in-depth, presumably to allow GMs to add flairs to their own Liches, IC it's probably something to do with the extremely complicated magic that actually goes into the creation of the Phylactery and the difference between the Liches' personal preferences.

The spirit possessing the nearest dead body sounds cooler though. It would explain why dark lords keep those corpses laying around in their lairs.

Corpse are strewn about because liches loose concepts like hygiene and have reason to worry about disease. Also, that could be quick cannon fodder or lab assistance.

managore.itch.io/death-of-a-lich

>The spirit possessing the nearest dead body sounds cooler though.
That's how Dracoliches work. They also need to eat part of their old body to regain their power.

YOU'RE ALL FUCKING WRONG

Little thing about D&D Magic, it changes, as in if there's been a weave-fucking event every rule and incantation of a spell can get rewritten in real time.

If any of you knew dick, you'd know the Karsus folly, the Time of Troubles, and Vecna's Wilde Ride in Sigil all caused events like these, some of which were the heralds of the transition between D&D editions.

Now go and read the old Forgotten Realms Comics you fucks.

But, to explain further, once upon a fucking time Liches needed bodies around their phylacteries to posses on destruction to rejuvanate themselves, I can't give you a guarantee that this process of supercceeded by progress in the field of Lichdom, or immediately changed as a result of the the Time of Troubles, Spellplague or Vecna's fucking around, but what I can tell you is that for 1e and 2e, the Lich rituals was explicitly detailed, DM discretion be fucking danmed outside of the other Lich-variants introduced in 2e, next to the fact you could become a Lich in 1e IF YOU FUCKING GOT STUCK ON A MASSIVE SPELL YOU WERE READING AND CONCENTRATED SO FUCKING HARD DOING THIS UNTIL YOU EXPIRED AND CONTINUED AS A LICH. Which actually makes sense because Mystara has this thing of having a no interference rule placed on creatures who are actually in the process of furthering magic through the development of new spells and rituals, biggest example being the creation of Dracolich's at the hands of Sammaster.

Now then, an important thing to know about the undead is that the part that explicitly makes them undead by 3.5 standards was a direction connection to the Plane of negative energy, without this, you were essentially half-undead, Akin to a level 10 pale masters class features or the like, and this was a concept littered throughout 3.5 in feats, fluff and a few other PrC's.

Anyhow, that Monster Manual "DM discretion" crap went out the fucking window because they released a web-update for a Lich Monster class which outright described the entire transformation process save for how the spellcaster get's their soul into the Phylactery they make which is done over 4 or three stages (levels) of construction, and at the last level you've made the connection to the negative energy plane and are Undead. To add to this, I must note that parts of the phylactery are functional at this stage, including the rejuvanation, but it uses the Old 2e Standards of needing a corpse near the Phylactery, so it's possible this is where that old part of the process went, but the universal reality warping changes made to magic due to world-changing lore events still comes into play, and this may have been the result of that.

Point is, the Dread Necromancer at level 20 class feature immediately becoming a Lich isn't some cop-out suitored for dungeon play, Simply making a fucking Phylactery is sufficient enough for a PC to go fullblown skeletal.

As for why the need of a corpse is important for a Dracolich, it's due to them being dragons, ignore the crap fluff a bunch of fucking young-adults made, these are the same stupid fucks that pooled Vampires onto Orcus forgetting about Kanchelsis for crying out loud.

Dracolichdom is different because a fucking Phylactery can't regenerate a Dragon corpse because of how a dragon grows itself suitably according to wealth and age, so any corpse made would result in a less than satisfactory "rejuvanation" which is why the primitive need for possession is still in place, there's also Dragonsouls being huge and surrounded by endless reams of fucking fluff that could turn you scalie by reading it too much, fucking dragons goddam.

Lastly? the thing to get your soul into the Phylactery? Well, the common evil outsider would say Evil act, (your dumbass DM) but that is bullshit to the core, otherwise we wouldn't have the Good-Lich/Archlich templates but the evil thing in question It's usually effort-skipping spell components (In the form of a lot of dead innocent people) an Outsider summoned to oversee the ritual can use in XP form to cheat you along, making it look like you needed to do it to "ascend" or it's whatever it is they request of you, posing it as a requirement. Demon Lords also do this, but it's a matter of them simply using that single Divine rank they get to fill in the blanks of your casual tier pleb ritual, and they usually just fuck you over for the lulz anyhow.

So anyway, the evil thing? beating heart of a sentient creature, preferably a spellcaster that's been taken out with the expiry date of 3 days. The workaround? Using your own heart. There's also this designated ritual site crap like using an old evil temple, haunted shithole, or making it via ruining a nice Church to a good deity and turning it into a vision of hell, but that's bullshit, plenty of Liches fare fine without that, and their workshops are built on leylines anyhow.

If you want to see what NOT to do when becoming a Lich, play NWN1 and learn about Kharlat Jhareg, a dumb fucking elf who forgot to ask his faggot elf gods for help becoming a Baelnorm and was stuck in a Half-Lich state who murdered a towns entire child populace at the behest of a Balor he summoned.

Next time, use a fucking Nymph like any other Archmage to Archlich for your Outsider help, Nymphs know so much lore it's fucking unfunny.

Oh right, lastly, it's canonical that you can have a non spellcaster Lich, yeah they often forget about crap like this, but in effect there's a fucking Lich that basically walked in on a Necromancer's Ritual and counterspelled it unto himself and ended up fullblown undead, wrote a book about it and caused a massive influx of Necromancy, that, and the fact that it's the Lich RITUAL that the spellcaster needs to perform to become a Lich, the target is the one the who makes the connection to the negative energy plane thus becoming undead, so if that target is anyone else but the spellcaster, it might still work.

Still, stealing Lich rituals is some OP shit the DM doesn't like so at best, it's better just to justify it for players who may have spell-like abilities or supernatural ones that work at the CL required to become a Lich, thus making it applicable.

But you know, if it happens then the fucking Magic-gods probably did it, they like to see that sort of thing happen, just because.

There's also nothing wrong with stealing the secrets to Lichdom, either through a career of Necro-busting, or findign the literally mass published Netherese tomes on the subject, like holy fuck, there were so many in NWN and shadowfell, shit was the most common thing you could find, and it's even easier if you rob a Phylactery completely intact before it could be used, that monster manual shit is outright misleading when they publish it, and then redo the whole thing in later books and even provide mutliple examples man.

Lastly, any lich, doesn't matter what, can become a Demi-lich.

Pray you never meet a Suel Demilich, that's an instant fucking loss right there.

What was the Lich ritual in 1e and 2e?

Dragon Magazine #26, here we go.

Van richten's Guide to Lichdom did this, but didn't have the level drain resulted by becoming undead, and there was a century based maintenance cost.

There was a lot of support material for Liches that related to them being evil overall, at least until Archliches were shown in spelljammer I think.

You could say something like "the old body disintegrates into a swirling pile of ash in the shape of the bad guy and drifts away to congeal somewhere else back into a solid form" or whatever.

Or just override the dnd writers

Additionally, Ricky dick didn't detail the ingredients as much as the older version did for the Posion you drink on the full moon after you've enchanted your crap on the ritual site next to your Phylactery, and the other crap.

Here's a bit on the mention of the need of a demon, Van Richten also brings this up on the Origins of the Lich, hinting Orcus being the one who started the trend, and Accerak also employed a Demon in the TOH, though I forgot whether it was ascension related or just to fuck with him because it was his dad.

Here's the bit on "I accidentally Lichdom"

And then the "Stole your ascension guy."

Fuck that's so dumb I love it

>Baelnorm
Now, are those just good liches or are they some sort of positive energy equivalent?

Because I think a magical life extension based on a connection to the positive energy plane instead of negative could be interesting.

I'm reminded of some outsider that was an incorporeal positive energy being that would possess people to experience the thrill of combat. They'd provide a host with their fighting experience and healing abilities but the healing could build up into extra temporary hit points and eventually just an explosion of energy and they'd sometimes forget to mention that last element.

>are they some sort of positive energy equivalent?
Mummies are positive energy, and Deathless (venerated elven ancestors, from Eberron) are positive energy.
Can't recall any other positive energy undead.

Baelnorm are, incidentally, also elven. Pretty sure they're negative energy though.
They're good aligned and they guard forests or libraries or something, IIRC.

Literally unplayable except in meme deck.
Would rather play Atomy/10

Nope, they're just Seldarine approved liches that look after Libraries, guard old ancestral crypts, keep the horrors in Myth Dranor from escaping, or hide Dirty Elf Fuckups. So basically, the gods using their "+5 to Avoid alignment shift checks only they get."

They're usually found in royal Elven bloodlines with the blessings of the deities, or places of knowledge Like candlekeep if I recall. They're often Elves that have more or less reached the end of their lifeline and are already Lichlike in terms of typical mechanical behavior.

Yeah, I recall it too, I think it was in deities and Demigods. There's like 2 types of positive enrgy based undead, one's a guardian of crypts and I forgot what the other couple were.

Well, I definitely think there's some potential there for combining the ideas if you play it right.
Play up the less "positive" elements of the plane of positive energy like the energy overloads.

That's Ragnorra tier stuff which leads into Shub-niggurathy shenanigins, and D&D's a reality cut off from Yog-sothoth (because legal issues and the Alignment system, but to this day, they're still thirsty for it and have never stopped dropping blatant hints towards their original intentions, it's a long story.)

Most Baelnorms have Phylacteries but some literlaly end up that way via divine ritual approved by the Seldarin and have no Phylacteries. Fuggin Elves.

Isn't the far realms basically that sort of stuff?

>Upon transformation into a Suel lich, the essence of the wizard is converted to negative energy that needs a human body to inhabit.
>The essence of the lich ages the body at three times the normal rate, burning it out after a short time.
>Each time a Suel lich gains a level, burns out a host, or is reduced to zero hit points, it must find a new body.

>At this time, the essence of the lich must take a host with Hit Die or levels at least equal to the lich’s level minus 15.
>For example, a 19th level Suel lich requires the body of at least a 4th level human.
>If the victim is unable to resist or gives his or her body willingly, no saving throw is allowed against the transformation.
>If the victim is able to resist, a saving throw vs. death magic at -1 is allowed to resist the takeover.
>Failure displaces and utterly destroys the life force of the victim; it cannot be raised, resurrected, or even restored by a wish spell.
>If the host body is destroyed, the lich has one hour to inhabit another body or its spirit disperses into nothingness.
>While in this form, a dispel evil or holy word can destroy it forever.

>Pray you never meet a Suel Demilich,
How's that supposed to work?

Luckily they're all dead as there was only 6-7 of them in existence, but Dragon Magazine published a 3.5 update. Hold on.

Suel Liches basically turned their Souls into Living negative energy, but, nasty fact is that positive energy is everywhere, sunlight gives it off, the living give it off, it's something commonly stated in many instances, so, unless they were on the plane of negative energy, then they're not lasting long outside of a body.

But you know, the Suel Lich still has Time on it's side, so there's the crop of salient abilities it gets, power rituals and the works, and Once it's a Demilich it's secure without need of losing a body, and even then, it has the horrid Demilich ability off designating 100 undead with it's old Lich template, which ammounts to a horrible encounter, I mean one of these things trying to rot a PC out is bad enough, 2, a nightmare, 3, hell 4, oh fug and beyond. What's more, as far as I know with Demilich fights, you've got the fight on the astral plane, the physical fight, then you've got to hope your not starved for spells when it tries to posses you to avoid death, barring the possibility of contingency to teleport it off to viable body in stasis.

I think the Suel Lich also qualifies for Incorporeal creature PrC's too, which could be a nightmare, topped off with Enhanced undead templates and the like.

What's more, is that there's a really nasty thing about Suel Liches, in that, technically, in theory, they'd also be the only creatures that still technically have a Soul to store, as it's negative energy.

You ever heard of a Dry Lich from the Walker In the waste's PrC class? well, they're basically Tomb Kigns with the ability to make Salt mummies, create pocket sand and have an aura that incurs drought, dehydration and turns everything into desertstuffs, with the weakness of water on them working as holy water.

The upside to them is that they get cheaper Phylactery construction (Possesion of BoVD makes this even cheaper) But the Phylacteries are non renewable because they're canopic jars, and because you'd need organs to make them, and it's stated this canopic jars contain the Liches Lifeforce and the rejuvanation time is longer than average Liches-

Now then, Suel Liches still have that Lifeforce to spare, as it's negative energy, and, everytime they posses a body- They get a new set of Organs, so, technically, they actually meet the requirements to become Dry Liches, AND ensure a limitless supply of phylacteries, though they would be around epic level and above to achieve this, nevermind the fact they get a free body from returning to their phylacteries, as Negative energy is ever generous with how it easily generates, so they've got TWO options when they die, Posses a bitch, or return home and wait a week or so to regen with a body near-it's expiry before they pop in.

reminder that 'good liches' are FR exclusive bullshit, and should be ignored

This just sounds like a hassel. The reason I'd want to even become a lich is because it is very hassel free. You live forever, most dont need any sustinence, your basically indestructable ect

>The reason I'd want to even become a lich is because it is very hassel free.
Pretty sure people only became Suel liches by accident or out of desperation/necessity.
But even normal lichdom is kind of a hassle. You have to routinely bargain with fiends to get larva, or the spell falls apart.

Acererak's body crumbled from lack of maintenance.
He didn't need his body, but only because he was ancient/powerful.

Yeah I know, regular Lichdom and all it's perks are where it's at, though I would like to see a return of 2e's Elemental Liches, if a variant, featured in a Temple of Elemental Evil module, though one can make it very complex when the concepts of Lichthralls get mixed in.

Suel Liches were an oddity, but shit son, that Fear Aura. additionally, there's the matter of their touch attack which is still viable to opponents who have negative energy resistance or whatever, because it also does fire damage. A known type of Lich used item in 1e was a blackfire wand, which acted as a channel for a Lich to use it's touch attack, as well, what comes out of a wand, though without paralysis, and it worked off of the Lich's connection the Negative Energy plane, so theoretically, it could deliver Touch attacks that originated from such a basis, I.E the range of Touch based attacks available to a Pale Master.

I'd have to say it'd be a matter that is better built upon, because no one uses Suel Liches often, but it's probably got a lot of uses, coupled with Salient abilities, Age Categories presented in Ravenloft, power rituals, and the prospect of Demilichdom, in addition to whatever base spellcaster it was before it's transformation, along with coupled spells, and magical items, It'd probably use a contingency set to activate if it's in it's incorporeal state for longer than 50 minutes to teleport it to a place where it keeps bodies to possess. It'd get it's bodies from the adventurers it beats in the various means of magical or non-magical imprisonment available to it, here, the Leadership feat might come in handy if one was to attract bodies, or it has a lair dedicated to capture.

Might as well become an Incantifer, with that mindset.