What was the spookiest game you've ever played or ran?

What was the spookiest game you've ever played or ran?

Hard mode: No games played with horror themed rpgs.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/bodak
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump because i want examples of horror being done in DnD, running a horror homebrew campaign and inspiration is always welcome

hard mode:

>Star wars
>abandoned ship out on the edge of a blackhole that was drifting into the black hole slowly.
> entire crew had been infested with ragkhoul virus and could turn the PCs into ragkhouls
> found survivors that were hiding out trying not to die.
>eventually escaped once the imperials tracking them found them and got the ragkhouls attentions

>i want examples of horror being done in DnD
I played DnD, I felt horror at what I was driven to, This is the closest DnD can come to horror.

Well, I hope to prove you wrong, I've put a lot of effort in to the horror aspect of my campaign.

The scariest thing I've ever witnessed in a D&D game was the player that skins NPCs alive and excuses himself to the bathroom after he does it.

Does this illicit any horror? You find the key to the jailers room off the skeleton in the pit and find this note on his desk.
You can see the architect is pinned to the wall by a throwing spear after locking himself in a cell.

Hard Mode

>One Piece
>Putting together my monthly session and trying to think of an enemy that my PCs won't just murderhobo their way through.
>Come up with a decent, if slightly suss idea...
>The crew arrives on a frozen island, a snowy wasteland.
>Their first encounter is a frozen security droid.
>They recognise it as one of the Big Bad's personal brand of robots, so now they have a good reason to stick around and explore.
>The Big Bad is an extremely lucrative scientist that the Navigator has a personal grudge against and the crew Scientist idolises.
>They see a single building in the distance. Our Scientist believes that this is one of the BB's research facilities and that it's been abandoned and left to freeze for some reason.
>Captain points out that it's rare for an island outside of the Grand Line to have weather this extreme as he has two other crew members search the frozen wasteland.
>The research facility is big, so the crew splits once again trying to balance the strong characters with the utility characters.
>With the party well and truly split, I decide it's time to get started.
>Frozen bones litter the facility, not in perfect skeletons but strewn about as if they've been thrown around.
>Doctor, scientist and anyone else with decent knowledge recognise them as human bones.
>If that hadn't given it away then the torn lab coats and jumpsuits would have.
>All the doors in the facility seem to be at least slightly ajar, with whatever equipment inside more or less destroyed and more dead scientist bones.
>The Captain's group finds one door that hasn't been pried open, a sealed room with a TV inside.
>After some fiddling they manage to bring up the research logs.
>Therein they see the BB himself, performing experiments on a pregnant woman (with her clear consent).
>He briefly describes the experiment, trying to discern the effects of a pregnant woman eating a Devil Fruit.
>Specifically, one that gives the eater power over ice...

1/2

I'm liking this and I really know nothing about One Piece. What's the Grand Line?

Does Dark Heresy count as horror themed?

I sent the players into a mansion that was haunted by the ghost of an extremely powerful psyker child who was found out and executed. Moving rooms, flashbacks, hallucinated enemies.

Little girl ghosts = spooked players

Memes aside, it's impossible to have a good horror story in DnD since nobody takes it seriously. Either hate it or love it for the pulp and the goofy nostalgic vibe, but it will never be taken seriously.

Strip of ocean that runs along the equator in One Piece. It's extremely difficult to navigate and is full of super powerful, big league pirates.

>piss fetish in the first paragraph
>scat fetish in the first sentence of the second
>it just goes on and on

Horror, no. Disgust at you shoving your magical realm into the game? Yeah. Fuck off, weirdo.

>The final video depicts a baby with light blue skin, but otherwise apparently healthy.
>No sign of the BB on screen, the scientists on the video describe carrying on the experiment in his absence.
>One of the men on screen holds up a lit match.
>The baby starts screaming, immediately causing frost to build up on the surfaces of the room.
>A scientist can be heard saying that they will continue to monitor the the child.
>That was the last video.
>The group then turn around to see human sized figures made of ice, emerging from the walls and floors.
>After a quick battle they head to the hallway to regroup but are stopped, faced down by the child from the video now older but still a child.
>The Captain immediately voices his intention to not fight the child.
>After some straight up good roleplaying, he manages to convince the child he's not a threat by giving him some fruit that we'd picked up on the previous island.
>The Navigator then asks the question, "So, what do we with him then?".
>The whole crew regroups and begins conversing and debating in ways I'd never dreamed as a DM.
>Options range from "Let's take him with us and train him!", to "He's too dangerous, we should do the right thing and end him."
>The most popular option ends up being "Let's take him to an orphanage, none of us are fit parents."
>Throughout all this, the Scientist was completely silent. Only responding when she was asked to build something that could mute his powers.
>She quickly makes a seastone (stops Devil Fruit powers for those who don't know) bracelet and has the Captain put it on the child.
>His skin stays blue, but he doesn't seem to give off an aura of cold anymore.
>Once all is said and done, the Navigator approaches the Scientist asking why she was so quiet. Normally she's the first to get involved in a debate with other crew members.
>She simply looks him dead in the eyes and says, "Ice doesn't cause flesh to decay..."
>"You mean the bones?"

>"...He was eating them."

It's also full of all sorts of crazy phenomena such as each island be attributed with it's own season, giant elephants with islands on their backs and full circular rainbows in the sky.

Some of my group haven't even watched it themselves and they still enjoy it.

This one isn't in D&D, because HP and crunch is not very conducive to horror. I ran it in Savage Worlds.

>Classic dungeon crawl
>In the dungeon, we play in the dark. So long as a character has an active light source, they get a candle.
>Trying to go with a semi-realistic ecosystem. Ambient magic > magic flora > herbivores > a few predators
>Predators are "boss monsters," if you will. Something of a proper scale to be as frightening as say... a bear would be to a few normal people out in the woods
>Used attached file to help inspire strange enemies to prevent meta and reward taking knowledge skills
>Using modified version of the exploration deck rules in Savage Worlds
>Whenever I draw a non-face sword (spades), the PCs encounter traces of a predator.
>Lower ones are stuff like troubling pools of acidic goop.
>Higher ones are a rhythmic clacking noise heard from a nearby room, not entirely unlike a metronome.
>Tap a pencil on the table rhythmically for effect
>After over a session of dancing around this thing while looting the megadungeon, the clacking reappears as I draw one of the faced sword cards.
>"It's louder this time." Switch to tapping knuckles on table.
>"The sound has been echoing through these empty halls for quite some time, but now it’s so loud that it has to be in this room"
>"Looking around the huge pillars, you glimpse a vaguely equine figure. It is hopping in a rhythm." Knuckle tapping continues, louder.
>"A long barbed tongue hangs from and occupies the entirety of its gaping mouth."
>"Its wild eyes bulge visibly from its head, moving independent of each other."
>"Its stilt-like legs are worn to bloodied, *tap* blunted *tap* stubs of bone." *tap*
>"It leaps towards you," *Slam fist on table* "crossing much of the room in a single bound."

The "prancing pony" did not run at them mindlessly. It dodged behind pillars and attempted to use its superior maneuverability to whittle them down.

I always try to theme my games around horror if possible. So far the highlights have been players being stalked by a ghostly violent yandere that climbs out of reflections, being hunted underground by a spindly tunnel goblin that hates being seen and tries to tear out your eyes if you illuminate it. Also a giant stitched flesh atronach tearing the party limb from limb and a forest witch that messes with your perception of time and space to get the party lost and drive them mad.

Best horror game I've played was my friend's story where you play as D class personnel trying to recover files from a hospital that was actually an eldritch body horror containment unit. We only use our own homebrew systems though, so I have nothing to recommend.

The only way to make players scared of anything is to make it lethal.

Its very hard to do without making it seem like you're picking on them unless you're playing a game where players expect themselves to die, but then they are expecting it so it isn't scary.

I find the best way is to not tell the players the campaign is a horror campaign until its too late.

One of my players had to kill a child to avoid detection whilst stealing a magical bull from a neighbouring tribe.

They returned home through a (unbeknownst to them, haunted) wood, the player who killed the kid split off to find food and was pursued by a spirit with the body of a deer and the face and voice of the boy he drowned.

Bump

>fetish
Is "I cut this motherfucker with a sword" gore fetish for you?

More disgusting than scarry to be honest.

wew laddy
what happens next?

>horror being done in DnD

>the party comes face to face with a being that should not exist
"Does a 37 hit its AC?"

>the party grapples with the fundamental meaninglessness of their existence
"...so is there an encounter, or can we move on to the next room?"

Have em run into an infestation of these and they'll get scared real quick

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/bodak

>d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/bodak
>I cast Sunlight

They've got 85 HP bro. 2d6 damage every round isnt going to stop them from looking at you with their 1d4 negative levels gaze attack. They're not stupid either. They'll peek around corners for a second and boom, another save.

Yeah...a creature with a nasty attack and a decent amount of HP is not exactly "horror", and if you think it is then you don't know what horror means.

Don't forget that people killed by bodak rise as bodak.

Wait, did the scientists die and then the kid resorted to canabalism out of desperation or did he directly kill and eat them?

It isnt really, but D&D is not a horror platform, and as
said, the only things that players are scared of are things that will threaten their characters.

Plus the Bodak is fucking creepy. They're created when mortals wander into the abyss and find unholy repositories of unknowable knowledge that rends their soul apart and makes them constantly weep acrid smoke from their eyes. Their gaze attack is them inflicting the horrible things they've seen onto other people, making them like them. They retain their memories of life too.

Both of these are quite good. I got a slight shiver, and am impressed.