Serious question: is tabletop compatible with devout religious life?

Serious question: is tabletop compatible with devout religious life?

Yes, unless your god has some forbiddance against the creation of fiction.

Yes.
Any further posts are unnecessary. You can delete this thread now.

Depends on the religion.

Are you planning on joining a monastery or are you a Deep South American?

Those are the only two instances where I can see TT games and a religious life being mutually exclusive. And I'm not sure on the Monastery.

I'm devoutly Catholic. I host a game every week. I first played D&D in a Baptist church in a club bein run by their preachers son.

I guess it could depend on what religion.

>I first played D&D in a Baptist church in a club bein run by their preachers son
Was he the only one who could teach you?

He was the only one in the area willing to run a game for noobz.

I don't know, but pick a better image next time. Dogs contradict Islam.

He's making a reference to a song by dusty springs

Did he also have unusually long arms?

As long as Jimmy Rome can continue to create song of swords game with the approval of god, I think all even a bit more religious people can enjoy role playing.

>are you a Deep South American?
that's less of an issue these days

absolutely, BUT, family, friends, and your religious community might make it difficult(because a person can be smart and informed but people are dumb). so you'll have to get into the habit of defusing situations that revolve around negative stereotypes.

make it clear to your group that this is a work of fiction and it should be fine. work out a disclaimer for them and maybe print out index-card sized copies. steer clear of games with their own pantheons unless you can make up your own or totally disregard pantheons. until you get established in the community as "clearly not a devil-worshiper, despite the games you play" you might avoid evil campaigns.

>tl;dr yes, but watch out for people after your ass over the satanic panic.

It sort of depends on what you mean by "compatible." Certainly it can be made compatible, just as it can be made incompatible. Which side of the motivated reasoning fence do you feel like coming down on?

Islam is contradictory on that. Some say they're ritually unclean, some say they're good animals, and some believe that Muhammad preferred cats.

Well, if you wander too deep into South America, it's too dark to read.

I think that guy meant the region commonly referred to as "The Bible Belt" a region of abnormally high religious influence.

it's like Tornado Alley, in fact, they intersect at a rough right-angles near the Oklahoma and Arkansas border.

Its fine, I know many religious people who play. I'm atheist. Unless your fundamentalist christian, then you might have some problems... (i.e. SATAN IS IN D&D EVERYONE IS SATANIC EVOLUSHUN AIN'T REALL HAHAH)

This thread again?

YES! EVERYTHING IS FINE! I go to my Mosque and actually game with some of the brothers there.

It is on fleek.

Underrated post

The answer is yes you stupid idiot.

Hah, no. I'm a Pentecostal Christian in Southeastern Oklahoma, and I've DMed for my group for little over nineteen years. It's not taboo at all, just extremely nerdy and something you just don't talk about in public.