What are the best examples of people losing their humanity in order to protect it?

What are the best examples of people losing their humanity in order to protect it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hummanity is a state of mind not how you look.

Take Space Marines for example yeah some chapters are unemotional edge lords but then you got the salamanders who care for humans even with the salamanders scary appearance.

Also Geralt had a heart of gold and always proved his hummanity

>inb4 killing monsters and that sword is for monsters

Because giving your life for others is one of the most difficult and selfless acts you can do.

Ever try to serve people and their needs? People are self-centered assholes who will take advantage of you at a moment's notice.
You will be ridiculed, mocked, and treated like shit by those you care about.
You may grow callous, abrasive, and numb to their problems, and your thoughts will dwell on whether or not they really deserve your treatment.

But despite all of this, when the hammer comes down, and you resist the urge to let the long-deserved karma take place, and instead take the blow yourself, people will ask why.
You usually won't be a hero to the rest of the world, hell, your name might be said with a hint of disgust.
But for who you saved, their eyes will be opened, that you gave your all not for glory or honor, but for them.
They will realize the pain they've caused to you, the burden they threw on your back. Some will curse you still, guilty with the knowledge that the bullet was meant for them.

But some will see clearly, and maybe, just maybe, they will follow your example and leave behind their old life.

And for you?
Whether you knew it or not, it was never about fame, fortune, or honor, it was about your legacy.

>Witcher
>Loosing their humanity

School of the Cat were kinda insane

That's the thing though most schools had recurring behaviors wolf's being benevolence, snake being stoicism, cat being insanity which suggest that either the mutations heavily affected their minds or the upbringing the schools gave is what changed the witchers.

What fucking school?! You vidya faggots are the worst. Never touched the lore, never touched the source material, taking all the fucking trash-tier elements introduced for purely game mechanics at face value and then pretending it's the lore.
Get the fuck out.
This is one of those rare moments when I understand why Sapkowski is fucking pissed at CDPR and their handling of certain aspects of the lore.

>humanity meme
Stop it. You don't lose your "humanity" or stop "being human" by being and edgelord, you just become an autistic jerk.

Relax man even in the game the other schools barely mattered.

The game added Cat.Viper, and Bear right? but this was mostly in armor.

Yes, it was, but there is now an army of faggots who won't just shut up about schools and their importance and different philosophy...
... all based on the fact there are few armour types and absolutely zero lore added to that.

Really? Id love some more shit on Bear

There are quests involving the other schools that aren't about armor.

There's quite a bit of lore on the other schools in-game, though. You find journals written both by and about members of said schools that infer a lot of their personality and their reputation. You can also meet at least two cat school members personally.

Which part of "in-game" you don't get? They've fucking made this shit on the spot just to have excuse for custom witcher armors. This shit doesn't stick and it fucking outright makes no sense toward the rest of the lore.
Have you ever read the source material, for fucks sake?

I never even played or read anything Witcher related, but your sperging out needs to keep going lol.

Yes, he let his humanity loose
He loosened his grip on his humanity
He loosed it

If moving goalposts was an olympic discipline you would've scored silver, just behind the all time gold winner /pol/.

Sapkowski should probably take a look at his bank account before he curses CDPR all too badly, because if he hasn't profited from the massive interest in his work that the games have created then he's been ripped off, and not by CDPR.

As for you, it's time to accept that the games are what people in general will think of when The Witcher is mentioned. CDPR simply did a much better job than the author and his publisher at bringing it all to the masses, and no amount of impotent nerd rage will let you change this.

Cat school's here to stay. Deal with it.

What is that?

Having actually read some of the books, I'd consider the games better than the books in many other ways. Not to say the books are bad, far from it, but they aren't all that special. They're solid fantasy novels with some pretty interesting things in them, but their greatest merit is in the fact that they've given inspiration to the WIthcer games.

Catholics.

witcher 3 inspired me to find the books and begin reading, and while I'd like to be mocking the nerf rage..well the warcraft movie is too recent for that particular logic leap

Alcatraz/Prophet.

Once upon a time, a very vengeful race of aliens came across a human ship, in order to blow up the human race.

The human ship, not wanting that to happen, sent a message back, and then deleted the information of humanity to prevent the aliens from finding out where it was.

Thus, they lost their humanity, but so did the aliens.

The end.

I guess you don't know shit about Sapkowski. And how he constantly spergs about CDPR ruining his precious saga.
Also, due to the way how all things were arranged, he earns literally NOTHING on Witcher, be it books or games. This is the main reason why he wrote the fanfic-tier Season of Storms - to at least get some cash out of the surge in Witcher popularity.

>it's time to accept that the games are what people in general will think of when The Witcher is mentioned
Outside Poland - sure
In Poland - you you fucking insane?

Let me guess - non-Pole, reading the translator-tier English version? I don't mind, I just point out how the translation literally killed everything that was good in those books.
It's the same shit as with Lem, even if Sapkowski is few leagues lower than masterful Lem prose. They are both fucking hard to translate, since the entire point of their writing lies in the language it's written in.

>since the entire point of their writing lies in the language it's written in.
Fucking this.

Witcher after translation is just an average looking dark fantasy, with dreadfully wooden dialogues. Who the fuck commited that god-awful translation? I mean I've read badly translated shit, I've read butchered stuff, but this is some sort of new golden standard when it comes to shit-tier job. Especially the dialogues.
Fucking fan translations are better, even if they have their quirks too.

>their greatest merit is in the fact that they've given inspiration to the WIthcer games.
Just out of curiosity - which translation you read? Please don't tell me the official one

Fuck off already. Nobody cares about the books.

Cat school was a mistake, just like the entire comics that introduced them. Everyone knows that and even CDPR ended up regretting they've picked that edgy trash up to their games.

>Witcher books brought up on just about any board
>Gets seriously surprised when Poles show up to discuss this further

Since when "I" means "nobody" or just about anyone else than you yourself?

Fuck off, I'm Czech

Let me get this straigh - a book series that endured for 30 years and is a stample of how to do fantasy in Central and Eastern Europe doesn't matter?
I guess you are GREATLY underestimating the percentage share Eurofags and Slavs make in this board.

Son, half of Poland get into the hobby because of those books. That was a decade before vidya came around.

>"i read the witcher and it was okay"
>"j-j-just the translation!! the book is super good you just dont understand!"
Fuck off.

You could well say that it's their Lord of the Rings

Oh boy, here we go...

Well, it kinda is. The English translation is really that bad. I've read it first in Spanish and it was ok. Then I've read it English and it was fucking horrible.

gold is gold faggot

John S117, Halo. Fuck it, all Spartans. John especially because of his dynamic with cortana.

Abandon thread, abandon thread...

>Wanted a nice discussion on humanity and shit idunno
>See this

My luck sucks if half of my threads just turn into shit posting I didnt even start

>The English translations kills just about any joke present in the text
>"J-j-just the book! The source is just average schlock, you just dont understand!"

Once a man.

This is what you get for posting witcher pictures and talking about lack of humanity. You are more than guilty for this mess.

He said humanity, not dignity.

He's double guilty?

What you gonna do le oldfag? Complain about the good ol' days of Veeky Forums?

Fucking faggot this is how it is now deal with it reddit

So, I recently read the Dutch translation of Ostatnie życzenie, because I can't read Polish. What kind of stuff would be easily lost in translation?

Also, it was bundled together with a recursive translation or Miecz przeznaczenia. Translated to Dutch from the German translation for some reason.

To lose dignity, one must first have it.

Makes more sense than claiming he *lost* his humanity.

The German translation is pretty good, so you should be more than happy. You could always end up with English translation used as the basis.

Let's think... "The witcher" has few references and hard to translate phases. Just like the jokes in "The last wish". "End/Edge of the world" would be problematic, especially the final punchline (don't know Dutch, so not sure if it will work in direct translation in Dutch as a joke).

The best translation ever is the Chinese one, because there are two versions of it. One from Taiwan and one from mainland.
It's like reading two completely different stories.

It's funny, I think the same thing when a game comes out in Japanese, and the translators, rather than trying to make a one to one translation of the script, instead try to evoke the same feel and emotion the original script gave.
But people get made because it isn't "faithful" enough, but also get made when they realize the original script, in English, is dry as King Saul's bones and lacking all emotive power.
Also, old Sappy was a fucking fool, and got exactly what he deserved for signing terrible contracts.

>and got exactly what he deserved for signing terrible contracts
And I'm not questioning that. He got what he deserves.

I'm just pointing out he gets absolutely nothing from both his own saga and the games. Which makes him even more delightfully ass-mad

Well, you could just tell me the way the joke/phrasing works in Polish. I do think that, if there was a joke, it didn't land.

The problem with the recursive translation, is that suddenly Dandelion's name has a different translation. In the direct translation he's named "Ranonkel", which is a sorta direc ttranslation, while in the recursive translation he's named "Ridderspoor" (that translates to English as "Knight's Spur" or "Knight's Track", depending on etymology), which is a related plant.

Not him, but original Jaskier refers to Ranunculus genus. For whatever reason every single damn language picks completely different plant.

And I think the joke he's refering to as a punchline in The Edge of the World is how they all go asleep and the "devil" says "Goodnight". In Polish the flowery way to say something is Bumfuck, Nowhere is to call it "A place where the devil says goodnight".

>mfw they could just call him Buttercup

They lost their humanity to stop the innies desu

So. What. Is that guy the fucking Polish Tolkien estate or something?

I read that most translations don't do that, because Buttercup and it's various translations are usually feminine names, while Jaskier still sounds masculine, with a flowery flourish.

>In Polish the flowery way to say something is Bumfuck, Nowhere is to call it "A place where the devil says goodnight".
Ah yes, there's no way equivalent idom in Dutch that could've worked there. Darmok and Jalad and all that.

Kinda-sorta-in-a-way.
He's probably the most recognisable and influencial fantasy writer on the scene that in the same time isn't some insane right-wing nutjob writing exclusively about "Great Polania" or some other shit to stroke his national ego.
In fact, if you think about it, he's the only Pole shitting on Poles and "cebulactwo", aka being meme-tier Pollack moron.

He could delete the thread and start again.

No, by no means, he's rather popular, but people tend to overhype them because for most people it was the main fantasy series they grew up with. He has some moments when he's great, but truth be told there are way more medicore parts.

he's also a compleat asshole and a cebulak half the time

It's pretty much a down-ward curve for his quality. He started really high with short stories, then wrote saga and then fame hit what was left of his brain, so he went wild with the god-awful Hussite Trilogy and then just started to live on the fame as "THE Andrzej Sapkowski"

Which is ironic if you ask me - the biggest asshole around pointing fingers at others. Typical cebula.

Also, constantly drunk. No, not as a joke, the guy is pretty much what passes as "functional alcoholic"

that's Lem. We never had THE fantasy writer. We had few THE science fiction writers though.

>What are the best examples of people losing their humanity in order to protect it?
Just giving my answer to OP.
Sorry to interupt your discussion by staying on topic.
Party on.

>staying on topic
>on Veeky Forums

Cat school was around in the original books

We literally had Lem as THE science fiction writer. Everyone else is just mediocre.

The hussite trilogy is not half bad, the problem si that everyone was treating it as the next coming of christ instead of something a bit above dragonlance level, it sucked me in, but mostly because it did not require a lot of brain power to do so

Cat School was only in the shitty comics book, you stupid cunt. Nice knowing you have no clue the fuck you are even talking about.

>B-but muh medalions from Bonhart
So fucking what. Sapkowski, being a troll like always, intentionally placed differently shaped amulets by the end of saga, precisely to mess up with autists. He openly admitted that around the time when he publushed first part of Hussite Trilogy.

>even with the salamanders scary appearance.

Come on now user. Just cause they're black doesn't mean that they're scary.

The sad thing attached to this is that everyone thinks they are doing what is best, and everyone is pretty much wrong at the same time.
>Cortana just wants her man to be safe
>whole situation would be solved if she got the D she is thirsty for

Around Salamandres never relax.

Zajdel was good, Dukaj had a lot of promis

It's still nowhere near Witcher level, and witcher already wasn't anything top-quality. Good, but not top notch. Which makes the trilogy average at best. Hence the downward curve sticks.
And the less is said about Viper and SoS, the better.

Fucking SoS is a literal 5 pages long script stretched into excruciating 300+ pages of bullshit.

>muh zajdel
i mean he kinda worked only in that specific time and place, but he was great anyway. And yeah, Lem just grew and grew as a writer and started doing something beyond normal sf

I already apologized for it.
Heh

I like that, based from that screencap, the OP might have come away from that thread thinking they still didn't know what Veeky Forums was about, despite literally being an example.

Right, my bad, I forgot about Zajdel.

But Dukaj is precisely the insufferable "Great Polania" nutjob I've mentioned.

ja pierdole ale burdel sie tu zrobil

youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY

kek

In person? I mean he had a patriotic vibe, but Xavras Wyrżyn took a great steamy shit on nationalists showing them as the the terrorists they are

>Dukaj
Sorry, if someone writes 100% serious story about time traveller turning II RP into world superpower that blew Nazis and USSR with nuclear bombs... no, just no.
And that story is a perfect reflection of all his works.

Does Anakin count?

other user. You mean shit like wroniec, right? I never cared about dukaj aside from Król Bólu, it has really greatly written bits here and there. Nowhere Lem level though.

Shame he then wrote literal FUCKTONE of shit-ass alt-history, where Poland is AT LEAST a great power, if not outright galactic empire.
And then is the general quality of his works and his language.

Nah, this is just a guy who writes easy-to-digest self-fulfilment stories. A Harlequinns for Sebas and Matis.

That was Pilipiuk.

But then again, Dukaj writes almost the same stuff, so who cares.

Point taken

och god dont even star me on pilipiuk and piekara

>cebulak
>cebula
>cebulactwo
Your language is odd and possibly frightening to me.
What are your most popular insults for Brits, Americans and Chinese people?

Brits is brytole/angole , americans is either chamerykanie (plebmericans or jackassmericans would be a good translation) or amerykańce, chinese would be żóltek (yellow man) skosny (diagnal) or ping-pong

Claymore had something like that.

Never thought I´d hear that on tg

They are in games, so they are part of the lore now. Not the books lore, but witcher lore none the less.

Sapkowski himself has said that books and games are different beasts that he considers to be different entities. You are an idiot that cannot comprehend that when someone says "Witcher" he does not need to mean only book Witcher.