Fuck dude they found us, the gig is actually up

>Fuck dude they found us, the gig is actually up

EMRAKUL IS FUCKING GONE. GOT IN A COPTER AND FLEW AWAY WITH REFLECTOR MAGE STANDARD IS SAVED
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09

Rip grave troll be will be missed

>Reflector Mage is banned instead of Gideon
WotC what are you guys doing

Will it?

I didn't even realise he got unbanned

>jace still banned
i can't play modern when it's like this

I just bought a playset. What do?

turns out wizards was right to ban the guy right from the start of modern.

>3 fucking card banned in standard
That's what happen when you want a low powered standard.

You know what to do.

No its not

Fuck I'm stupid, disregard

Save them for Frontier in case it takes off. You're not going to sell them without a big loss anyway.

Haha get fucked marvel decks

I just sold a playset (last friday) via mail. Get over it

Kamigawa-ravnica and odyssey onslaught were both very low powered.
Wizards just has 0 idea how to balance a format now that they've killed almost every archetype. Not surprising.

>implying grave troll was the problem
>implying it didn't get axed because of the prejudice towards dredge

Marvel's just going to cast Ulamog and World Breaker. Losing Emrakul doesn't hurt it at all.

>tfw bought copters last friday.

Still I'm pissed they have gotten rid of copter but left Gideon.

They want you to buy on the gideons instead of relying on playing with 10buck rares, go on and buy your playset of $35 gideons :^)

Nice.

That's what happens when you fuck with Mark "The Rocket Man" Rosewater. You get a banhammer shoved up your ass... twice.

>just completed Dredge

Decks killed by bans:

U/W flash
B/R Aggro

Decks hurt by bans:

G/B delirium
R/W Vehicles (they get the new 3/5 lifelinking airship or hear of kiran)

Decks that don't give a fuck about bans:

Fucking marvel.

You're fine, replace the Troll with the other high Dredge card. Troll just made it slightly more likely to hit Amalgam and Narcomoebia.

>Dredge piece banned because its game 1 is too good and fast and sideboard cards are too effective against it
>Affinity is cool tho lol

>Got a set of trolls
>Only use them for EDH
Life is good

maybe i can play spirits again now that the best decks arent jamming 2/3 fliers or lilianas?

Expect playsets of lilianas and Gideons now.

We interrupt this thread to WITNESS:

WITNESSED!

it's like they decided to just go ahead and confirm their bias.

Just replace them with thugs. Slightly less powerful but the deck remains 100% functional

>Opened some new phyrexia last week and literally whiffed on everything except for a few non-foil and foil g probes

Nobody in my meta played emrakul so this does not affect me much but im glad to see the copter go and i suppose reflector was a little op.
Mad that gideon is still legal though

>modern
>git probe
Fuck

>tfw you just bought Looter Scooters and Gitaxian Probes

Probe is a mistake of tcg design

>a 2/3 creature that bounces for 3 mana is banned in standard for being too overpowered

KEK

Standard AKA midrange the tappening is a joke

Dredge will be fine. It was a semi-powerful deck before GGT got unbanned, then in picked up a few new tools after the unbanning which made it super strong. People may start packing less hate, in which case your overall win percentage might not change much at all.

The sales must be fucking abysmal for them to do that.

Instead, why not remove the Reserved List and empower the eternal formats and make bank selling singles themselves?

>Ban Reflector Mage
>Spellqueller still going strong

Fuck this nonsense.

>singles

All they needed to do is Eternal Masters Core set sold for a normal price.

So where'd you two meet?

I completely agree with you but you fags seriously need to shut the fuck up for once about removing the reserve list

I blame the fact that they're trying to make standard low powered (Their article contains a sentence to the effect of "We want to make standard about vehicles and sorcery speed removal) but they can't make the special needs playground because they have to have at least one or two cards for modern and legacy each block, and it turns out those usually end up dominating the format

Man o' war would have been fine, it's the fact that it gets that card (and any other copies you may have) stuck for a turn which leads to clogged hands and "unfun" stale gameplay.

Hey guys, Liliana and Nissa aren't being played enough. Also our friends at SCG are pretty mad that Chandra didn't live up her hype. Not to mention guys from marketing division asked us to provide a viable superfriends deck. What should we do?

New players love gay... Gatewatch and should be exposed to cards that depict them even more.

More like Imprisoned in the Banlist, amirite?

I took that sentence to mean more we want to push planeswalkers
The copter did need to go though so i cannot complain.
I literaly never saw emrakul being played though did something in kaladesh make him a beast i missed a lot of fnms lately.

I don't think this really saves New Chandra, who is still utterly weak as fuck despite "LOL FOUR ABILITES DOE!"

none of those abilities make any real impact the turn you play her (and possibly ever)

Red aggro sure as fuck didn't need a turn 4 flame slash, or a turn 4 ramp spell, or a turn 4 "take 2 damage" so justifying her existence in that is hilarious.

midrange has far better walkers that do far better things and then they don't have to play fucking red, the worst color in standard.

WoTC screwed the pooch on her and it was "her block" no less, Pia Nalaar sees more play.

They forgot they printed a one mana tutor for emrakul in the previous set.

Naw they lost Emrakul but they may start to run Kozilek

I took it as that too, but the fact that they flat out stated "We want standard to be about objectively bad creatures and shitty removoal" Kinda overshadows something we've known for about a year

I know! Ban a reasonably powerful uncommon that really wasn't oppressive at all. the only cards that should be powerful enough for standard are Mythic Rare (TM) planeswalkers!

>via mail

The post office?

Well yes but thats at odds with the good removal in aether revolt

Kozilek has no protection.

>eldrazi
>no painlands for

>aether hub
>Spire of Industry

Life finds a way

>this guy is going to show up as a 4-of in every deck

But I guess they can't ban Gideon because he's the face of the game

There used to be good answers for good threats.

Now there are only good threats. This is why you see these Standard bans (the Modern bans are fine and actually make sense).

It seems a bit odd with Copter - a lot of new answers for that are in AER. Oh well, thanks for Fatal Push, Mr. Copter.

>this guy is going to show up as a 4-of in every deck

What exactly makes it that Gideon is going to get even better and show up in more decks?

>There used to be good answers for good threats.
>Now there are only good threats
this, this so hard it hurts
Easy litmus test to see if a set will be shit or not is how many common removal spells there are for 3 or less.

>Heart of Kiran
>no Copter

Copters everywhere helped keep Planeswalkers down. Now Superfriends can play Heart of Kiran on 2, Nissa on 3 and Gideon on 4 and there isn't much to stop them

Yup. They systematically executed all the good removal from standard, so nowadays we're overjoyed if we see a doom blade as an uncommon, when it used to be a common in pretty much every core set.

Incorrect
While gb was hit harder by the emrakul ban marvel will still suffer

The problem was that they got to cheat out emrakul then get rid of any possible threats or answers the enemy had for it by taking their turn

Meaning that the only way to get around it was to then top deck an answer or have a fumigate.

Now at least they still don't know what is in your hand and you can play the ambush game with answers to the other titans

It is weird yeah.
The copter was a problem but will it really be a problem come aether revolt.

>Gitaxian probe banned
>Em banned
They actually did it the absolute madmen.
>mfw half of the people at my lgs run marvel

I'm sorry, remind me again what Kozilek's second ability reads?

Menace
And its 3rd ability is inconsistent as hell

The only ban I would slightly question is Smuggler's Copter. Emrakul pretty obviously merited a ban, and I don't really give a shit about Reflector Mage, it was a dumb card and banning it was a good way to handicap UW. My thing with Copter is that I wish they would have taken another few months to see how it would play with Fatal Push in the format and whether it would still be equally dominant. But on the whole, I can't say it was totally a wrong decision.

Probe was something I really wanted them to ban in Modern and you can't get mad about GGT getting banned I don't think. I hope they'll consider taking a look at Mox Opal and consider a few unbannings (mostly BBE and Preordain) at their next window but I'm pretty satisfied with what this.

it's frustrating to fuck with the whole standard format so dramatically, but at the end of the day, I think these bans probably improved the formats we're talking about here, so I can't be too mad about it

They said they wanted those things to be viable, not that they wanted standard to be about those things. That's a completely different argument and a much more valid one. It's essentially the same point that people have been making about the lack of diversity in standard for a couple months now.

>muh enforced collector's value

>shut the fuck up for once about removing the reserve list
never. the reserved list is idiotic and I'll will keep bitching about it until I or it dies.

>Menace
Fuck, got me there.

Still though, the deck runs a gamut of 1-4 cmc spells, which are the key converted mana costs you need to protect him. Not to mention drawing up to seven cards isn't bad at all. It's not as good as OG Kozilek, don't get me wrong, but I think he has a place as a one-of against the mirror, and possibly control decks.

if you actually cared you would spend time bitching somewhere where you could possibly make a difference

It confuses me that wizards doesn't want to abolish the reserved list because it'll hurt investors and collectors from all the money they put into cards, but it's okay to ban cards from formats where people spend hundreds to get a deck that is viable and then all that hard work and money get trashed by a banlist. And they're the ones who play the damn game anyways.

can you prove that I don't? also, WotC browses Veeky Forums, as evidenced by the many mechanics stolen from custom cards threads.

the one thing that's annoying about this is that they finally printed an instant-speed answer to a stupid card that was dominating standard. and then they banned the card that was dominating standard, and the answer doesn't actually hit any of its likely replacements (Felidar Guardian & Aethersphere Harverster) (unless you can consistently activate revolt at instant speed i guess)

Emrakul probably won't matter much. Decks running it can switch to Ulamog.

Copter is justifiable since it was a new card type that they didn't really know the power of and fit into literally any creature deck.

Mage seems unnecessary, honestly. Strange it's only getting hit now after Coco was gone, when Coco never got banned.

Probe was a mistake, so it's fair game to get banned.

GGT will be replaced with Thug and life will continue for Dredge.

Somebody should ask MaRo if the need to ban those cards don't show that right now standard had become way too much low powered.

How can Ken Nagle not look like a complete retard every single time a banning comes around?

>I just bought a playset. What do?

:^)

Don't actually do this

kek, fucking goofers

>Ken Nagle

how often does this happen?

fucking finally

i mean it probably wont save standard because most people have moved to other formats but in a year or two standard might start gaining traction again

>make bank selling singles themselves?

for the millionth time, Wizards can't sell singles without opening themselves to legal hell.

For a start, booster backs would be facing classification as gambling in many states.

Wouldnt probe just get replaced with peek?

I mean it'd only one mana of difference, also instant speed

the entire reason probe is played is because it costs no mana

the one mana difference is a massive gaping chasm

especially in extremely low-to-the-ground low-mana super aggro decks IE the ones that play Probe

you cost no mana
but you don't cantrip

Lol

Aslo - oath of Ajani, just not to run out of loyalty counters.

Is that any good?

World of difference between 0 and 1 mana. Mutagenic Growth, Noxious Revival, and Gut Shot are all closer as replacements, but none of them cantrip.

>What is Evolving Wilds

Then ban aggro?

No, they want to make standard more about planeswalker.

Yeah but thats no use on turn 1
Though i suppose you dont need the revolt on turn one

So instant speed doesn't matter at all?

I mean you can just drop it during your opponent's end step. It wouldn't be great if you drew several of them but its not nothing.

GGT was fine until Cathartic/Amalgam. Cathartic may as well have almost been a 2 mana reverse Bazaar of Baghdad in some cases.