While the game is pretty shit, I really liked the mechanic of any card being able to become a land

While the game is pretty shit, I really liked the mechanic of any card being able to become a land.

Why didn't more games do this? Hearthstone i the first game that comes to mind which would benefit from such a system rather than the garbage class-system they use. With so many Magic clones I don't understand why isn't this a thing, fuck this mechanic is so good the game could be designed around it.

Or maybe it just was never good and I'm just delusional, in which case I'd be glad to know why am I so wrong about it.

It was fun to play for me.

Try Shadow era. You are building your "mana pool" by sacrificing your own cards

The original WoW cardgame did this.

As does Codex; in fact, in Codex you use this method to thin your deck, so it's very important what you discard.

The WOW tcg did this. It was the best TCG I ever played. Fuck hearthstone

So it was actually good and not just me? Now I wonder even more why didn't more devs use it, maybe due to DM's lack of popularity is why this mechanic never became mainstream while mana-pool itself is. Such a shame.

I think VS did this, right? My friends and I played it for a few months after it started dying because you could get booster boxes for like $10.

>DM's lack of popularity
Between 2002 and 2009, it was the most-grossing card game in the world until Yugioh took back and kept the mantle.
Right now it hovers around in Top 3, only getting usurped by fotm games like Vanguard or Chinese mobile spinoffs.
This is thanks to Asia being the primary market for TCGs by a longshot, buying a lot more product than the West.

Fun fact: WotC intended to phase out MtG with DM as their flagship TCG in the early 2000s, and only a partnership with Takara Tomy gave it a more Eastern style to compete with YGO and their then-lost Pokemon TCG. A lot of MTG mechanics have also have their origins in DM.

That is hard to believe, I've never seen anyone playing it or discussing it at all on the internet, maybe it just never made it to my lgs.

Well, unless you are in Asia it checks out. Basically, the market is so much larger there that it can easily surpass anything that's only popular in the US.

Because it flopped disastrously in the West. Twice.

The keyword there is "in the world". Japan, China, Korea, and the rest of SEA/Oceania really make up a much larger TCG market than the West, and their buying power skews the statistics hard.

The success in the East is why they even tried to force it a second time as Kaijudo over here.

They're still making packs over there. Next one hits on the 28th.

My system will also give every card mana request.

I remember reading an article where Maro said that duel masters mana system isn't as good as MtG' s. Probably because it's not as good at extracting money from people with rare lands.

*mana reburst
fuck

I was so disappointed the series stopped just as dual typing came in.
Used to run Fire Nature and then suddenly its like "Here's a sweet card which gives one mana and burns one of your opponent's mana"

It increases design space the same way cycling does: super situational cards have another mode and are thus more viable. Not sure if duel masters actually capitalizes on this though.

I played it semi-casually when I was a kid, it was pretty fun.

compared to magic land destruction was far more powerful, as you can see from this card

That's an evolution though, one that's both expensive AND requires a strong creature type to evolve from. Compared to numot or whatever from mtg, he's not that impressive.

bajula was put onto the restricted list for a reason
sure he might seem really expensive but trust me, this faggot gets out quick if you have the deck built for it

and remember that evolution creatures effectively have haste

I remember that evolution creatures have haste, but I somehow remembered in a way that it just didn't register. Oops.

Yeah, I can see the issue now. Haste is especially problematic in DM because of no instants.

This is the same team that though Phyrexian Mana and, more importantly, fucking Artifact Lands were going to be okay.
He's just a muppet that has to make Magic look good. Consequently, DM has to be bad because it failed.

VS had cards that provided benefit when used as labds, so if you wiff those you have bad time.

The Spoils (RIP) had a combination of both regular lands but also turn any card into a generic land.

>team that made Phyrexian mana and team that made the core land system are the same
You sure sound like you know what you're talking about.

I read about that game and its system seemed like it wasn't generic enough. You either run out of design space or exhaust your complexity budget like that.

There are a few appealing parts of Magic's land system, compared to DM's.
1) Games have more variance, you can't consistently hit certain breakpoints as easily. (Albeit this also leads to terrible experiences like mana flood and screw.)
2) Manabases can have a lot more intricate interactions with the board and your strategy.
3) It provides a way to control the degree of freedom player's have when it comes to splashing cards in different formats very easily.

Worth noting that I do really like playing cards as mana sources as a mechanic however, and if I ever get to making my card game, it'll probably be included.

>2)
How? Any mechanic a land has a card in the mana zone can have. Cards are often switched around zones, the mana zone isn't just a dump for cards you don't want to play.

>1) Games have more variance, you can't consistently hit certain breakpoints as easily. (Albeit this also leads to terrible experiences like mana flood and screw.)
Is missing a turn of land considered a positive experience? I'm not talking about screw, but is it fun when you're even a single turn behind?

>3) It provides a way to control the degree of freedom player's have when it comes to splashing cards in different formats very easily.
What does this mean? If anything, isn't the opposite true? Not having both mana and splash to both clog you up, and being able to simply play situational cards as mana if they're not relevant seems like it would encourage more diversity and risks in deck building.