Do dogs and other pets from earth exist in the far future?

when mankind goes to space, colonizing planets and shit, dogs will die out. they are useless. are there dogs in star wars? warhammer? anything? anyway, any futuristic space setting with dogs and other pets from earth is for the mentally challenged

Even today most people keep pets just for the fun of it.

>are there dogs in star wars?
No, even though on several occasions they could have been rather useful.

There are only two pets allowed in 40k: flying skull and flying dead baby. There are hounds, but those are heavily cyborg modified and only used as a tool by the space cops.

>are there dogs in star wars
Jewbacca.

He is rather smart for a 'dog', so not really.

>star wars
Droids (astromechs in particular) might as well be dog companions, just somewhat smarter and with more utility.
Also there are some races and characters that have dog equivalents.
I think Gungans basically had this amphibious dog creatures. Jabba had that bat thing.

Dogs are pretty smart for a tets, so go fuck urself, catlover.

I like to think we'd uplift some of our more promising friends and take them with us, just to spite Mother Nature a bit more.

This. I ran a scifi setting where the galactic human government outlawed most genetic and cybernetic research on humans (for fear that various different worlds and colonies would each branch out into different human subsets until the human race turned into a bunch of new different competing species) so some people moved over their enhancement research to other animals instead.

Apes are too close to humans, so the research on them never gets authorized. Dolphins are all dead already due to climate change. So we did dogs instead. Genetically engineered smart dogs that, after they reach a certain age and maturity, undergo massive cybersurgery where their brain gets ripped out, plugged with cyberware to bring them all the way up to human-tier intellect, and plugged into life supporting robot bodies filled with artificial organs.

The dogs are, after an adjustment period, weirdly okay with this. They can still talk to 'dumb dogs', though its frustrating because they are sooooo stupid. Their robot bodies are designed to be able to function equally well in standing and quadreped positions, and the smartdogs often switch between the two as preference and situation allow. From their perspective, when they were dumb they saw humans as big dogs anyway. Getting upgraded to be a 'big dog' too isn't a bad deal.

Despite being human tier smart, they still are fundamentally dogs at heart. They like participating in group activities and are drawn to organizations with clear hierarchy. They enjoy physical work more than mental work, and they thrive on constant validation. Early testing of integrating these into a police force ran into problems when the dogs realized they were getting an unfair deal, and they went on strike until their demands were met.

Their demands? They eat at the table, the exact same food as the humans get, at the same time that the humans eat too.

That was it. To a human, this is dumb. But to a dog, who gets to eat ahead of who is a big deal.

The Dune books touch on this a bit. Humanity finds a planet, dumps animals and humans on it, then moves on. The books repeatedly mention animals that have been engineered for planets or that have evolved to survive there since being "seeded".
If your idea of travel and colonisation involves space cities that just land somewhere and settle in, animals would be useless. But in a seeding scenario they are just as important as people.

I fucking love this (I'm a biased as shit dog person). I am going to have to use some of these ideas.

Well, pets aside (imagine your grizzled merchant being pestered by his "adorable" daughter to buy her the new intelligent unicorn rainbow pony) it probably depends on the biology of the planet, if it isn't heavily populated already. If the planets are heavily terraformed/handwaved as being biologically compatible with Earth's lifeform with few problems, I can totally see your colony farmer with a pretty badass cat against alien mice or the equivalent, "sheeps" that eat grass (in the less interesting areas of the colony) for wool or something crazier, while the colonist in his ranch has a holotv and has to check out crops with some simple robotic drones, something like that.
(I dare to say horses are kinda difficult to justify as something more than pets, though. A self-sufficient colony should have the industrial capacity for internal combustion engines at least. The expection of course are areas totally beyond logistical routes, in which you have to use local resources)
Of course it gets crazier with local conditions and animals. Nowdays you still use dogs to control cattle when they're freerange; what if in a ocean world we use whales for milk, and dolphins as sheperd dogs? And what about local species, maybe some scientist can tame those badass insectoid "hyper-ants"..

Also it's possible that biotech might to an extent get us monkeys that can do menial work pretty good, and are cheaper than robots (which might be intersting for spaceships proper).
And there is feudal future as well, in which if you can't get a snazzy aerobike from Yer Olde Industrial Planet at some hyperspace jumps from home, at least you can maybe get a genetically superior horse.

A perfectly good thread died for this badly-written screeching.

>Star Wars
There aren't even humans in Star Wars. What part of "long long ago in a galaxy far far away" do you not understand? You're completely useless but we keep you around.

>warhammer
I think eldar have some psionic lynx they keep as pets. They are called Gyrinx

I'd rather have an AI, you know, for conversation and banter in general ?

Are we talking about a thousand years or million years? If millions, I wonder if one of our pets will become self-aware while we are transcendent.

>this non argument
Veeky Forums is a slow board. It takes hours with no answers to fall to page 10.

>a thread at the bottom of page 11 that wasn't visible in the catalog

If only we still had quest threads to blame for your thread dying without a reply

not enough to co-pilot a ship.

kill yourself

follow his example

how cute, is this your first time here ?

Okay, five foxes piloting by majority vote.

>Veeky Forums is a slow board.
>thread lifespan on Veeky Forums is counted in days if lucky
>meanwhile the thread I made on /h/ 2 months ago is still around

/v/ crossposting.

>Yeah this [thing] is [adjective]
>BUT [OTHER THING] IS MORE [ADJECTIVE]! YOU'RE WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Check it out, I'm

How many votes does the pilot have?

None.