Do you think the drafting-system is more fair in Magic than Hearthstone? If so, why?

Do you think the drafting-system is more fair in Magic than Hearthstone? If so, why?

Needs flying and to be black, but otherwise fair.

Yeah but that's not fucking hard.

Limited is still an utter mess and has been since they fucked with the rarities because fuck removal.

obviously, there's a magnitude of difference between drafting/building a deck from a collective set of cards versus every player drafting from a separate random pile. Being able to know what cards you are going to play against makes a huge difference, granted the small card pool for Hearthstone makes that almost true. But as the number of sets increases it will become even more random. MtG draft also allows you to choose from a larger subsection of cards at a time, allowing for more strategic decisions based on your known card pool.

and all this makes perfect sense considering it's free to draft in Hearthstone so they need to increase randomness in order to encourage you to spend money

In my mind, the differences are comprised in three major areas. But to preface this, in my opinion Hearthstone's drafting system is a joke, there's only a choice in about 10% of the picks, otherwise there's clearly a best pick. This leads to decks only have a variance in power level, basically all being homogeneous within the class, and you're never able to do cool things. Clearest example of this is the inability to draft a mill or jade deck for example.

The first is the set/block system of the games, Hearthstone throws all the cards in their drafting system into a big pile and says 'have fun'. In contrast Magic forces you to play with different sets, sometimes mixing them together. As an example KTK-KTK-KTK compared to KTK-KTK-FRF were quite different, a few of the archetypes were dead, or much worse, while more linear strategies and reliance on bombs became more prevalent. This is only within one block, an even better example is looking at 3x KTK, where you can reasonably play something like 5-colour control, midrange or some token decks, to something like 3x Zen. Aggro ruled and games were over by turn 4-5, hell, plays sometimes didn't even get made in 3x KTK by that point in the game outside of a single morph creature.

1/2

Secondly is the class system in Hearthstone, while Magic has access to cards of every colour at the same time. This means, there's no way to add powerful deck enabling cards that push certain draft archetypes without making them neutral, and even if you did there's too little card coverage in your three picks to be able to consistently pick up that enabler. Another issue with the class system is that it means that there's never really a critical mass of cards for an archetype, maybe you could play a real beast deck in arena if you had access to druid's and hunters beast cards, but having them segregated means there's really no chance of this.

Lastly, there's no other players interacting with the draft, so there's a layer of complexity removed, this isn't as big as the previous two, but it without a doubt makes it less challenging and interesting at higher level of play.

This whole post also ignores the different dynamics between the 15 card packs and picks between 3 cards, that's an important issue when looking at the ability to draft certain archetypes, but you get the idea anyway.

2/2

Alexstrasza would be Naya colors.

Good stuff. One thing that I would like to add to that is the act of repeatedly taking one card and passing the rest evens out the natural variance of pack strength. A Magic drafter who opens bomb rare, foil bomb rare only gets to take one of them and the guy who opens three packs of chaff will have weak first picks, but picks 2-14 will average out to where the whole table should have decks with pretty even raw power levels (assuming they're making good picks). In Magic you'll sometimes get a bomb rare but not play it because its color was being cut, which can't happen in Hearthstone.

That effect does not exist in Naya. There are already two cards that set a player's life total to 10 and they're both black.

>fair

dunno if it is more "fair" or not, but i think drafting in mtg is better overall. i'm not even sure arena should be compared to mtg drafting - it's closer to a shitty version of sealed deck.

as far as drafting goes, in mtg you draft 45 cards and construct a deck using ~23 playable cards and lands. since you don't have to use every single card you drafted, you can make risky picks on synergistic cards, or change your colors/strategy during a draft. however, in hearthstone you draft exactly 30 cards. every single card you pick goes into your deck, so there is no room to make risky choices. you have to stick with the strategy you start with, and all your choices are based solely on individual card strength alone (which is why everyone just uses an arena app to draft for them).

there are some things blizz could do to improve hearthstone drafting. if hearthstone had you draft ~35 cards and let you pick which 5 to not include, that would be a big help. people could take out their weakest card and take risks on picks that don't pan out later. they could also do a tetris-style preview of the next pack you are getting, which would give more context to each pick beyond "which of these 3 does the arena app rate higher".

No it doesn't.

It's either Dega or B/W only.

It's a really boring and shitty custom card though.

Why you people always insist on the most fucking cringeworthy flavour text, I'll never know.

It's her flavor text in the game.

P sure it's from the flavor text in-game

The effect doesn't exist in Naya colors but Alexstrasza is Naya colored, lore-wise

>Do you think the drafting-system is more fair in Magic than Hearthstone? If so, why?

Yes, because draft has naturally the effect of smoothing out the quality differences between cards and lessening the role of RNG (since all players in an 8 man pod draft from the same pool of cards). Hearthstone's arena (which I assume you mean, since HS has no draft) is just random cards that you make your picks from with no mechanic that would even out the card quality between separate players.

Alextraza already exists in Magic and it's Esper colors. Magister Sphinx.

Speaking as someone who believes Hearthstone is the superior game in almost every aspect, yes. Magic's drafts actually have some degree of interaction and balance. In Hearthstone the difference between getting a good pool and a bad pool (and your pool quality relative to that of the people you get matched with) can easily be what decides if you go 12-0 or 0-3. Arena isn't all luck obviously but it doesn't hold a candle to what Magic offers.

It's still a better game though.

>Speaking as someone who believes Hearthstone is the superior game in almost every aspect

how in the fuck could you possibly believe that

ONLY advantage that HS has over magic is lack of mana screw. everything else is leagues worse. just unbelievable lack of options, lack of balance, lack of interesting cards, terrible, terrible game.

Alexstraza doesn't exist in Magic, as far as I know.
I'm talking about the character, not the effect
The effect doesn't really work with the character anyway

Mana system (it solves more than just screw, having guaranteed mana on key turns allows for very precise planning and means decks see a wider range of card costs), classes are better balanced than colors, cheaper to an absurd degree, higher density of cards that are actually playable (there are only a few "strictly worse" cards so far whereas Magic actually explicitly has it as standard policy to churn out literal trash), makes use of design space to create really cool effects that aren't physically possible or reasonable in a non-digital game. I could continue but it doesn't matter since you're just going to call me an idiot for not preferring your outdated game that the original designer calls flawed and the current designers don't give two shits about.

Then don't give him off colour abilities maybe? For 5RGW give him flying, and a 4 damage lightning helix stapled to his ass, possibly as a damage trigger. If it triggers on damage, change his P/T to be 4/9 or something.

Yeah, I would have done that if it was my custom card. But it's not and I haven't played WoW since MoP anyways.

Who cares, ccgs are for fags

>classes are better balanced than colors
You're fucking retarded. Blizzard's idea of "balance" is rolling a die and picking which class gets to be overpowered this season. Also there's like ONE viable deck per class, with no multiclassing possible due to card pool being absolute trash.

>higher density of cards that are actually playable (there are only a few "strictly worse" cards
Are you kidding? Like 40 cards are playable in the current Hearthstone Standard. Most of them fucking pirates.

>cheaper to an absurd degree,
The fuck? HS is stupidly expensive and you don't even get actual physical cards that you own for your money, you get digital nothing that gets rotated out.

>I could continue but it doesn't matter since you're just going to call me an idiot for not preferring your outdated game
No, you're a fucking idiot because you're blind to the absolutely insane, glaring flaws of your shitty mobiletrash app. Like how the fucking thing is so tempo-oriented that if you lose the board at any point you might just concede. Or how the starting player is like 25% favored to win regardless of matchup. Or how everything is RANDOM RANDOM RANDOM. Or how it's fucking impossible to make a deck that doesn't revolve around playing minions on curve and attacking with them. Hearthstone has only ever had two interesting decks, Miracle Rogue and Patron Warrior, those are the only ones that are on the level of the average Magic deck. Everything else is play on curve and attack, play on curve and attack, pray you win the coinflip, pray you win the seven hundred random effects that happen in an average match.

Hearthstone is like all the worst parts of Magic distilled and all the good parts removed. Only thing it does right is guaranteed mana.

Also I like how you're shittalking Magic designers when Hearthstone's devs are the laziest, most arrogant and incompetent motherfuckers ever. Team 5 refuses to balance the game and resents the whole idea that they should actually do their job and release constant balance updates. And then they get defended by all the dickriders on Reddit. "Why the fuck should they do their easy and convenient job? They're only paid millions to do it. You wouldn't do your job right for only a million."

>Then don't give him off colour abilities maybe?
I didn't make the card, I hate Hearthstone and don't play it

Also, Alexstraza is a female

arena in hs is trash. i'd like to see a more mtg draft format in hearthstone

>Dega
Fuck off, old man. Do you call Naya Granger too?