Can I use bestow curse for positive effects of the same degree?

>Can I use bestow curse for positive effects of the same degree?

The spell already allows me to make up whatever effect I want and the only rule is that it has to be of a similar power to the examples listed.

Would you gms allow this?

Fuck yeah. It's creative, rules legal, and balanced.

No. Stop trying to game the system.

No, since it isn't a curse in any way. Curses are meant to be debilitating and negative in function. "Positive curse" is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp.

Good thinking though. I'd encourage you to create a short-lived custom buff spell that can apply positive variations of bestow curses effects for short durations. It'd be a unique and effective buff spell.

>permanent buff on the level of "you lose half your actions"
>balanced

A curse is by definition something negative, so no.

What if you use a curse to debilitate a disease inside someone's body?

No. But you CAN use them to inflict negative effects that are a blessing in disguise. For example, I once cursed our party's Frenzied Berzerker to suffer a 90% miss chance when attacking any members of his own party.

"Permanent Infertility" shows up on many lists of alternate curse effects, because it was a very common curse in fantasy... but many people intentionally subject themselves to surgery for the same effect.

Since when can you curse diseases?

Cure, curse, it's just one letter anyway.

And that's how apprentices blow their own heads off or turn their guts into acid.

Vampirism is a curse yet people still want it for the benefits

I think there may already be a spell for that, and it's called bestow blessing.

If it doesn't exist, I'd probably fiat it into existence if I were a GM.

Only if the buff comes with a downside, and the bonus comes from exploiting the curse's effect.

For example, if you cursed someone to be on a few inches tall, they could use that to explore ahead and spy on people. The effect is still a debilitating one, but using the small size to your advantage can make it a boon.

'Cursing' someone to have +4 strength isn't a curse. But cursing someone to have strength beyond their control is (+4 strength, but you can't handle fragile items without breaking them. You also unintentionally hurt people a lot unless you a very careful).

>I curse myself to have several beautiful women wanting to have sex with me all the time!
As a general rule, nothing you see in Oglaf is allowed.

I'm a caster with a monk on my team. Speaking of "Curses that are blessings in disguise"

Can I curse my warrior to have vampiric touch on her lips, effectively turning her into a succubus and giving her a an opportunity for extra heals?

Ask your DM.

That is actually a curse! I mean, have you never bought something stupid because it cost less than normal?

That's not really a curse, because attacking your party members is almost universally bad.

oh... oh man. I spent $260 that I really shouldn't have because a store was closing down and everything that on sale... and at that Kiosk...

Again Oglaf has DEEPEST LORE!

Only if they are really damn stupid, or it's the kind weak-ass new age vampirism that has practically no downsides.

Not to mention Kingdom Death only going for 250 a few days ago.

A curse is by definition something with a permanent duration that requires specific magic to remove.

I have had players that tried that and I ended up twisting their curses for trying to be smartasses
not because I like being an asshole but magic users been punished by their hubris its one of my favorite thematic things.
A curse is a curse and a blessing is a blessing

>1 solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment on someone or something
>1.1 [usually in singular] A cause of harm or misery:
>1.2 the curseinformal Menstruation.

Office supply store was going out of business and was practically giving away graph paper. I bought a shitload thinking I'd make the most massive dungeon ever.

Now I'm stuck staring at a nearly blank sheet and a giant fucking legal binder filled with the stuff, wondering how I dug myself into this hole.

you can turn it into confetti and make a parade in your name

I'd probably allow a curse that can be twisted to one's advantage if you're creative enough, but it will still cause more trouble than it solves in the long run. And it might be harder to remove than normal curses if it's partially beneficial.

No, that would be bestowing blessing.

The exception would be things like where a negative has situational positive effects, like deafness if there's some hearing-based mind control or something like that.

>positive curse
Yeah I think it's fine

>Ctrl F "girdle"
>Nothing

Jesus Veeky Forums get it together.

It is possible to have a curse that's beneficial.

Veeky Forums hasn't been fun for years.

Hell no. It goes against the literal definition of the word, the intent of the spell, and is very obviously an attempt to game the system.

And no it doesn't allow you to make up whatever effect you want. It allows you make effects that harm or hurt the individual who has been cursed. Literally every example they have for effects that are allowed are all negative.

The effects you want are probably already made into actual other spells anyway. Bless, Haste, Fox's cunning, Owl's Wisdom, and all the other buff spells say hi.

In 3rd edition, a cursed item has a lower price while fulfilling the same function, just with a penalty.

There were also rules for "traps" in the fortress build manual that allowed for "cursed" beds that help regenerate health.

By extention, curse can be used to lower the requisites to make an item, or even make beneficial ones, but you should try with bestow blessing first.

Name the downsides that you think vampires should have so I can laugh at you for thinking your conceptions are old.

Where do you live? I'll buy it

thats actually really clever. i like it. also, stolen.

Burn in the sun
Be dependent on blood
These two are musts. Other might include:
Obsessively counting stuff
Garlic phobia
Religion phobia
Not being able to cross running water
Not being able to enter buildings without invitation (that's too exotic for most cases)

>all the time!
Bestow curse is concentration up to 1 minute