How do you justify "the normal guy" keeping up with a group of cyborgs, genetically engineered superhumans, aliens...

How do you justify "the normal guy" keeping up with a group of cyborgs, genetically engineered superhumans, aliens, robots, vampires, and so on?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/Cf317Lo.jpg
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50841253/#50841253
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/image/mUiX7gQrlqlwciY5ePVGgQ/
youtube.com/watch?v=kyqGdQEvTHI
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50841253
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By having the skills or resources the others don't, OP.

They basically think of him like a pet.

>What's that, buddy? You found something? Great work!

>You hit him! Way to go, li'l guy!

>Aw. Are you getting tired? We can take a break if you like.

P.S. this is how I choose to imagine the Justice League.

>OH MY GOD, LOOK! His boomerangs are shaped like little bats, too! How cute is that?

cuz cid's a badass mudafucka

like this

He still had some enhancements.

Yeah, some.

You have to grow up and accept that "the normal guy' is in no way a normal guy, that there's nothing wrong with playing an abnormal guy, and if you do in a group of abnormals you're just a special snowflake with even less self-awareness than usual.

He's the only one who didn't dump charisma.

He's an NPC.

He's not 'keeping up', he's not a 'normal' guy, or his value lies in skills, knowledge or resources that the others lack.

See
i.imgur.com/Cf317Lo.jpg

By not remaking the same thread.
Mostly by having skills that can be acquired without superhuman ability.

The cyborgs, genetically engineered superhumans, aliens, robots, vampires all have self esteem issues.

Literally copy-pasted thread down to the OP pic.

They're Just That Good at whatever skill-set makes them valuable to the team.

Make him a tech expert and give him power armor

Have him work behind the scenes as a support role

Well, games with apparantly mismatched playable characters tend to be points based.
So the normal guy is hypercompetent and works with the weird guys because they are in the same league.i

He's keeping up with the supers. That means he's not normal. It's that simple.

desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50841253/#50841253

Report OP for not only shitposting but posting purely to start fights

I mean do you really need to justify why in a fantasy, everyone in the group are exactly as experienced as each others ?
A level 5 Wizard is roughly equivalent to the level 5 warrior, paladin or rogue.
The non-even genefixed old veteran with a lot of combat experience and skills, the cyborg warrior and the A.I hacker were built with the same number of points.

Isn't this how RIFTS bases the wildly varying power levels.

This. Cid carried around dynamite and a bad attitude. Then again, Cid was going to be the first man in space and so probably had to be pretty fit.

Remove genetically engineered superhuman from the list (or make them street raised runaways) and the anwser can be hard work and dedication.
Other PC's aren't exceptionally talented, they resorted to augmentations/undeath to get a shortcut to power.
Military grade mary sues with both talent, training and enhancements are what you're facing.
Your super PCs are gonna pick up experience but you can probably hook up your normal badass with some superweapon he'll loot on ennemies along the line so both will progress.

What is the system anyway ?
If it's races and classes then they are supposed to be equal at same level.
And if it's a system with points where having skills costs points and being a genetically modified cyborg also costs points then give everyone the same amount of points.

His arm. That was about it. His arm, and an older suit.

I was speaking in general but it naturally applies in skill points systems.
Also race and classes are not equal at the same level, that's like saying humans are supposed to be equal per the declaration of human rights, it's stupid men are not physiologically equal to women, they are equal in rights.
Race and classes are supposed to be balanced, they do different things wich are judged to be fair in utility for their levels. Else everybody is just a refluffed version of the other guy and you might as well have a classless system with freeform fluff on top.

Is he trying to create dialogue or is this new bait or something

cid wasnt normal he was a scientist on drugs

he also used missiles from his airship

cid was my favorite

>How do you justify "the normal guy" keeping up with a group of cyborgs, genetically engineered superhumans, aliens, robots, vampires, and so on?
The same way I "explain the normal guy keeping up with the actions of superpowered people and robots and stuff.":

1. (Near) Batman-level capable, knowledgeable, and athletic.
Read that again. Near Batman, not Batman-level but as close to it as you find acceptable.

2. "He's Just That Good" like the Karate Kid comic book character, he's so good at a "normal" skill that he is effectively super.
The scale of examples here runs from Rock Lee who actually uses some magic to MacGyver who doesn't have to keep up with many superhumans.
I think Jonah Hex is a good example.

3. Captain Charming, a diplomancer face so charismatic that he doesn't need to defeat the killer robot, he can (b)romance it.
This could be done humorously, seriously, or like Kirk, which is a bit of both.

4. Luck. Captain Tylor level luck. Five leaf clover level luck. It's not a super power if it's just coincidence.
Or is really it all just luck after all?

See you next time, OP!

I like a combinaison of 1 and 3.
The guy that got told by his father that contacts are everything in life, moved on to an edgy phase reading machiavel and eventually has every single one person in the coutry owe him something all the while being a nobody to most.
But depending on your GM that can only work as a diplomancer or an NPC.

As a normal guy in a party of werewolves, mages and mutants, I just try harder, and know skills that others do not.

>Cid
>Normal

Pick one
I usually grab a few of the other players and talk out how we would know each other before the first session. It mostly ends with me being their friend from college or childhood, but I was once a vampire's great grandson who never stopped calling me youngster while he looked a third my age.

He or she is the moral compass. When your party includes people who can punch gods, journey into the realms of the dead or destroy half a city with their mind, theres no realistic way these people can truly relate to the everyday troubles and feelings of the people they are trying to save.

They may sympathize but they are far removed from the banal existence of most normal people and might come up with solutions that are apprehensive to the average joe.

Thus the normie is there to keep them in line sort of, a direct mouthpiece of everyday humanity to temper the actions of the demigods. And not to lose track of why exactly they're punching satan in the face or dropping a comet onto Cthulhu. To save peoples lives and make them better rather than because its fun to do so.

Also maybe the normal guy handles alot of the PR/diplomatic relations and brings them coffee.

That was a nice story

Give him a battleship that responds only to him.

How do you justify asking a question that's already been answered perfectly?
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/image/mUiX7gQrlqlwciY5ePVGgQ/
Also this thread is NOT TRADITIONAL GAMES because you didn't write any words such as "game" or "RPG" or "player" to specify.

'member that time when Batman's contingency plans almost led to the death of every other member of the Justice League? I 'member.

youtube.com/watch?v=kyqGdQEvTHI

godDAMN that voice acting is terrible

I Hvae a superhero character for Gurps that is similar to this. Think Lex Luthor, but the very worst type of utilitarianism for the best reasons (If my Huge mega-corp ran this country, I could end hunger here! Time to have my "security" forces (Read 4 small armies) take over)

Also, the thing about cyborgs, genetically engineered superhumans, aliens, robots, vampires, is that often they will have issues operating in the everyday world. Imagine a robot trying to fill in a tax return, or a vampire getting audited. They need the normal dude to be their everyday guy and provide them with a cover story.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50841253

Is this something you plan on making on a regular basis?

Nah, he rewrote the text slightly.

>somebody complains about anime dub

Did not see that one coming.

I did a "normal guy" in a group of people who had telekinesis, were genetically modified to have superhuman strength, and another guy who had a logic coprocessor installed in his head to become super smart hacker guy, and overtly I was dead weight. Covertly however, I had contacts all across different occupations, government institutions, corporations, and an apocalyptic cult that I simply plied to bring some utility when needed, despite not being a face or especially charismatic. It was all deal based.

>Ok guys, we need to infiltrate this lab built under the subway tunnels in the city, how do we go about this.
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine, there's a laboratory pass and uniform waiting for all of us in a crate under a storm drain at the corner of Abbey and 45th. He's passed me a layout of the facility from the original contractor as well.
>Oh great user, that'll make things a lot easier.

>user, we need to trash this place, what's the hold up?
I just need to download some files from this mainframe, I'll catch up in just a minute.
>DOWNLOAD AND TRANSFER OF RETROVIRAL ENGINEERING COMPLETE
>What the hell user, we need to destroy this so it can't be unleashed!
Nah man, it's cool, I'm totally just keeping a copy to research a cure and not sending it to shady contacts for favors. Of course.

>"Bad boy!" says Superman, rubbing Batman's nose in a pool of Kryptonite

Didn't Batman already win that fight?

Not in my headcanon.

>Also this thread is NOT TRADITIONAL GAMES because you didn't write any words such as "game" or "RPG" or "player" to specify.

Why don't you just use your mod powers to something something

Batman already won every fight.

check out Stu in What We Do In The Shadows

Effort, skills, tools and the fact that this often makes for compelling characters and narratives

Training.

>Cloud
amnesiac militant without any experience because Zack and Sephiroth were fighting instead of him
>Tifa
barmaid girl who joins the terrorists
>Barret
terrorist leader that use guns, not bad but definitely not super-human level
>Aeris
girl that sell flowers in the slums, yes she is half cetra but cetra powers doesn't give her any combat advantages
>Red XIII
well he is some kind of beast I'll give you that
>Cait Sith
robot toy with megaphone on another robot toy
>Yuffie
underaged girl ''ninja'' fanservice edition

Most of the characters are not really that special. Cid probably was just training with his spear in the spare time. He still makes more sense than Tifa.

...and Hawkeye.

Hawkeye is another good example for #2 here:

If your normal guy is keeping up with straight up bullshit(magic, superpowers, etc) then they aren't 'normal', simple as that. Make peace with that fact and move on.

I feel kind of worried for that dog.

I kinda wanna see this now, played 100% straight with zero explanation.
Like Ugly Americans, only not really.

I wanna see a team with versions of, like, Sabertooth, Deadpool, She-Hulk, Juggernaut, and Ted from Accounts Receivable.
He can even have a gun license and carry a revolver for self defense.
They fight epic battles together and he is just, there, nearby, occasionally contributing marginally.
Same team drama and camaraderie, and nobody mentions the disparity.
If this had actual characters and plot, it could work.

Cloud had the powers of a supersoldier, Tifa was trained by the world's best martial artist, Barret is an experienced guerrilla leader and a cyborg, Red is a monster, Cait Sith is a robot, Vincent is a shapeshifter, and Yuffie is a ninja in a Japanese game. The only weird ones are Aeris and Cid.

I understand that some say he's over hyped, but holy shit I fuckin' love the guy. Sam was fucking fantastic.

I don't.