What kind of qualities should a fantasy metal have? Do you use your own fantasy metals in your games?

What kind of qualities should a fantasy metal have? Do you use your own fantasy metals in your games?

Fantastical ones.

Explodium: a super-dense energy-rich metal that can explode over and over again; usually stored in levitation fields.

Immovium: This highly magical ore can only be moved with strong teleportation or space-bending magic, otherwise it remains in stasis at all times.

It is found only in four locations in the far north, south, east and west, and these deposits are hypothesized to be the "nails" that hold the world in place.

How do you win explodium?

>someone actually came up with a worse fictional metal name than unobtainium

Other than mythrill/orichalcum derivatives I've used an ore that never goes down in temperature.

so when you heat it in something, it stays hot?

does it ever become solid?

Yes, It's mostly found solid because it's melting point is dumb high on purpose. My players usually use it to heat up places but I had a group make a wall of it and fireball the wall to suffucate a whole subterranean city.

It never stops being solid. The only way to work it is carving.

>pick up immovium
>walk off with it because physics dictates that the immovium is not in fact moving with respect to you
>other people see you walk off without any immovium because with respect to them the immovium can't move
>everybody has their own instance of immovium that nobody else can perceive. People use immovium for combat purposes, such as to stand on mid-air
>combat becomes immovium fights where people harness their hidden power granted by a mysterious ore in order to one-up their opponents, jumping through the air and swinging off of nothing.
Relativity is fun.

How would you choke anything with that?

If its temperature doesn't go down, it's not heating anything up.
It would feel cold, if anything, because it only takes in heat and never gives back.

You'd freeze the city to death.

Unobtainium is an obvious reference to the naming system of super heavy elements. Like element 111, ununumium, which have since renamed as röntgenium, I believe.

You heat it to 1500º it stays at 1500º
Don't try to semantics with unobtainium.

Metal tends to feel cold not because it is actually colder, but because it conducts the heat from you faster.

It's all semantics, fuck magic. Science is just common sense, and magic is the extra. There's no real reason the metal wouldn't always be at fifteenhundred degrees considering there's no way for it to lose heat, and unless it had just been created it would have been heated over time.

No, the real deal here is you have invented thermal flubber. You drive the world into a new age of steam power where power is infinite for as long as you have some of the material.

I mean, I guess if your players aren't all doing science at university you'll probably get away with it.

I don't know, I learned in middle school how steam power works. It'd be fun to see some players derail a campaign to spearhead an industrial revolution, though.

That would be pretty neat, actually. As long as it's not backpedalling and suddenly having it not be possible. It's always nice to have world development caused by the players, and not just because they just so happened to be at the party the gods were attending in mount olympus when deciding on a new olympic swimming pool to install on earth.

I actually intended it to be an energy source but my players opted to make of it a torture device.

There's a currency called Strange Coins in Destiny. They're said to hum with mysterious energy and be warm to the touch. Always fancied the idea of a crafting material that's oblivious to the inevitable heat death of the universe.

pffft, everyone knows that magic is just Quantum Physics taken to the nth degree.

>Do you use your own fantasy metals in your games?

Azoth/dynamically-saturated mercury:
Liquid metal that basically allows wireless energy transmission. It's the basis of the setting's technical revolution and the key ingredient to any Mechanomagical engineering project (=clockwork magic).

In-world, it is the first neoclassic element (the classics being the Empedoclean ones: fire, air, water, earth) and it represents speed, communication, lucidity in rationality, networks and things bound by other things, lightning, and technology.

Note: it's radioactive and only people infused with azoth (=irradiated with energodynamically-saturated mercury) can engege in MechEng projects, so the artificer wizard archetype is covered by the azoth-infused spellcaster. They tend to get a little more aspergy after the infussion, though.

Mercurial silver.
Does extra damage to outsiders and mentally deranged.

What's that stuff?

Crystallised OCs.

Certain alloys can receive magical/mana waves like radio antennas except with magic.