So Event Horizon is the closest we'll ever get to seeing the effects of Chaos made manifest in real life, right?

So Event Horizon is the closest we'll ever get to seeing the effects of Chaos made manifest in real life, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ClfhBZR9-As
youtu.be/giiuqTdBSTc?t=57
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also the teletubbies tv show.

It's the closest you'll get to a gellar field failure.

The Silent Hill movie is a decent take on a planet side Warp incursion.

The Ring offers what you'd get dealing with a corrupted psyker or mid level daemon.

The Lost Room was an interesting miniseries with some Chaotic overtones.

Disregarding how horrifying everything looks, that was probably a great way to teach the kids about their bodies.

>The Lost Room
I had completely forgotten about that series. Saw the first episode on TV when it first ran, but didn't catch the rest. Should probably rectify that.

I only dimly recall it, but I remember it had reality distortions, cursed items, a black market in said items, and a creepy cult. I remember thinking the Inquisition should be called in to handle the situation.

How does a Warp Drive actually work? Do you think it actually creates a Black Hole to penetrate into the Warp like this Movie thinks? Because it's never, ever been explained how a Warp Drive actually gets the ship into the Warp.

Is that giant penis ejaculating on those children or just pissing on them?

where we're going we won't need eyes to see

Depends on who you read. I don't recall BL or GW addressing it much. FFG's books indicated the Warp drive opens a controlled warp rift, and that this was only safe to do in the outer reaches of a solar system.

How does it open that rift though? Does it have a chained Psyker within who opens the rift? Or is it something else?

40 Techpriests pray so hard around the warp drive that a rift opens by itself. Then they praise the omnissiah some more.

I never understood why people love this movie so much.
It's so mediocre and one of Sam Neill's most disappointing performances.

Although I do understand that due to studio meddling a lot was left on the cutting room floor.

>something else

This; the warp drive is technological. In-setting no one who knows about it, talks about it.

If you want a pseudo-scientific explanation then you'll have to come up with one for yourself. My headcanon is that study of the electromagnetic effects caused as aby product of certain psychic phenomena lead to the development of technology which reversed the effect, using carefully calibrated electromagnetic fields to open breaches into the warp.

Most good movies are actually pretty mediocre. They just have themes or moments people particularly like, so people gloss over the bits with bad acting or poor effects.

Honestly I never saw the big deal either. I don't think it's outright bad but it just felt like a generic sci-fi/horror movie to me.

Go watch John Dies At The End on netflix. It's pretty warpy.

You're absolutely right, except for the part where you're wrong about everything.

Every work of art has flaws, people just decide not to care about the flaws because of the good bits.

Could also be something involving a thoroughly bound warp corrupted/deamon possessed AI at the heart of the machine.

Which they poke until it gets angry and sucks the ship into the warp.

But no one realises that's all it is now, they just know that the only key elements of the machine that it needs to work are a mysterious black box with only a single input feed that you plug a small computer that, when turned on, just constantly tries to compile deliberately incorrect code so that it's continually segfaulting and restarting. (and they know it has to be incorrect code because a heretech fixed it once and the machine stopped working - because it's literally a code designed to do to an AI what water torture does to a human)

The twist is half the fun of the movie. It isn't a particularly scary movie in any way, but it's fun, and then finding out that it's literal Hell IN SPACE just makes it neater.

Well duh, but "flawed" does not equal "mediocre".
You have to be a special kind of pessimist to think like that.

Or it's an array of cryogenically preserved, psychically active nervous tissue which gets "woken-up" to open a rift into the warp. The twist is that the tissue is Ork in origin, since humanity developed warp drives by studying how the Orks were able to propel their vessels into the warp.

Because it's got little elements to it that they like, and it was initially panned as a terrible movie because the first half of the movie (and all the promotional material) signals "this is a sci-fi horror movie, like alien" and the second half of the movie is a full on "amityville horror ...IN SPAAAAACE!!!!" and that confused people.

So if you go into it knowing that it's a ghost story, not a sci-fi story, and you go in hearing nothing but bad things about it, then it comes across as a lot better than you expect.

And those few bits that are well done charm a person going in expecting to not be charmed at all.

As a movie though, the sci-fi elements hurt it because it made the early, suspense building, part of the movie too long because the set up for there being a spooky space ship and how the cast are isolated takes just that little bit too long and eats into the time the movie needed to build more actual suspense for the horror end of the movie, thus fucking up both ends.

But because its key problem is just a problem of pacing you can see there's at least one good movie in there.

A lot of 40k technology is like Chinese R&D. Nobody really understands why anything works, but if they do a good job blindly copying stuff then they'll get a product that works most of the time.

Medicore means "average", and many movies people rave about have average performances or special effects. They are just able to capture the imaginations of a generation by being among the first films to expose them to that average, and so have the advantage of novelty. From there they run on nostalgia. Most of the great movies you remember weren't really all that great. They just impressed you at the time and watching them again allows you to remember (and reinforce) the sense of wonder you felt when you first saw them.

This effect gets more obvious the older you get, as you experience various forms of art all try to pull on your heart strings or spark your imagination in the same ways. You see the same stories play out again and again with slightly different characters, settings, and dialog. Eventually the similarities become more obvious than the differences.

In one of the deathwatch books it mentions that there's something heavily insanity/corruption-inducing used as fuel in a warp drive, but nothing else.

My personal headcanon is that gravity somehow interferes with warp transit. Reason one is that ships must transit on the outer reaches of a system, and there are canonical mentions of ships that try to transit in-system and get torn apart.

The second reason is space hulks - small space hulks pop in and out of realspace quickly, while larger ones (which have greater mass and their own gravitational field) are more stable once they hit realspace. Kind of like pearls, the warp doesn't like mass, so it shoves stray bits of stuff together until (mass/gravity of space hulk)=x is greater than (warp/realspace barrier + warp-energy saturation of said space hulk)=y.

Then said hulk gets spat out of the warp for the last time.

So 40k warp drive either creates a void of energy to let the warp into realspace, or creates a field of artificial warp-energy dense enough that warpspace and a small area of realspace are temporarily the same thing. Kind of like how defiling an area with sorcery and assorted horribleness weakens the barrier enough that weird shit happens and daemons can come through without aid.

Oh, I can understand why people would like this movie, that's not the issue.

What I don't understand is why people actively praise this movie like some hidden gem and constantly compare it to Warhammer 40k which it doesn't really resemble thematically or tonally.

Sure, it has some gothic imagery, but that's pretty much it.

To get back to topic; we actually have an official representation of that.

youtube.com/watch?v=ClfhBZR9-As

It must be sad to be you.

Also, for there to be an average, there also have to be highs and lows.

>Then said hulk gets spat out of the warp for the last time.

Except cannon-ish materials have space hulks entering and leaving the Warp, without a warp drive, on unpredictable or semi-predictable schedules. Space Hulks are basically supposed to be haunted and always poised on the edge of slipping back into the warp.

>It must be sad to be you.

On the contrary, once you hit this point you can look at Luke and Obiwan and see Arthur and Merlin (or Pinocchio and Jiminy). You realize most stories are just The Great Story of your culture told in different ways. It enriches the experience, rather than taking away from it.

You also realize that the worst stories, the ones which never resonated with you, are the ones which tried too hard to be orginal, seeking novelty for novelty's own sake, and so deprived themselves of deeper meaning.

>How does it open that rift though?
Nobody knows, we don't have much lore on it but fluff mentions that warp engine existed thousands years before Gellar field was discovered and made Warp travel possible. My headcannon is that it doesn't open a rift (which could lead to many undesired consequences and applications not seen in the setting) but creates field of distortion in warp and real space allowing a vessel bearing warp engine to slip through twisted border between worlds. Ship can move while in distortion field at high speeds without delving deeper into the Warp but bears risk of sliding deeper into the Warp or Material world (and dropping out in a random system midtravel). This mode of travel is similar to the new Tau Warp sliding engines. Once engine is deactivated the distortion calms down.

Good miniseries, would've been a good series as well.

Art has no flaws.
Techniques can be flawed.
Craftsmanship can be flawed.

But art (for the sake of art) is entirely subjective.

You can judge a movie on it's technical and narrative aspects or on it's entertainment value (although that in itself is troubled water too) but if you inspect a movie as a piece of art then it is beyond evaluation because it becomes entirely subjective.

Actually I thought Sam Neill was the best part of the movie. The man has built a career off acting sinister and crazy so he must be doing something right.

The parts of the movie that bug me are the technical aspects. The editing is kind of subpar, and some of the foley is downright laughable, example here at 0:57:
youtu.be/giiuqTdBSTc?t=57

Uhh...Uhhhh....

I am extremely worried by this.

Sauce?

>on the cutting room floor.
What was cut was actually lost, and found years later in a salt mine in Transylvania.

My Deathwatch group went into a space hulk once.

Once.

The next time orders came in to board a hulk, they volunteered to charge a 'nid force head-on instead.

Makes me feel like I did my job well.

>Actually I thought Sam Neill was the best part of the movie.
Well, that goes without saying, but compared to some of his other roles, it's very weak. Though what's weak is his character much more so than his performance.

He's great in Possession, though that's not exactly an easy movie to recommend.

This is some real avant garde shit

Nah. It doesn't really align with what any of the Gods would do, except for maybe Slaneesh.

Worse than avant garde: Australian Sex Ed. in case anyone ever wondered how australians breed

Hang all Australians

I think the main reason why it looks creepy is because everything is so dirty.

It's also kind of like early cartoons where everything is wobbly and stylized.

>Except cannon-ish materials have space hulks entering and leaving the Warp, without a warp drive, on unpredictable or semi-predictable schedule
Which is inconsistent and poorly thought out like the most of 40k fluff

I went into this movie pretending it was humanities first contact with the warp and it was fun as fuck. Admittedly it was a fairly average horror flick otherwise.

Top kek

It is actually explained, I can't remember where though. It's basically something to do with particle density in a vaccuum. That you have to be far enough away from gravitic forces that particles per m3 drop below a certain level.

Dunno, looks pretty Tzeentch to me

It's a tit and it's lactating.

I saw the lactating breast; I'm talking about towards the end.

Might be piss?

I'm sure hoping it's just urinating on people.

Which feels weird to say.

Jesus Christ what did I just watch, and why did I do it stoned.

Could be worse. I watched Neon Demon stoned. Ended up ranting at the screen. Surprised I was not kicked out or worse.

Possession. Far more intense chaos infection.

The Stuff. Slaanessh loves you inside and out.

Ju-on. Not the shitty American version of the Grudge, but the Japanese version where time and space are meaningless and no one is safe.

Twin Peaks. If you don't know why this is on here shoot yourself.

Yeah, you can shoehorn WH40shit into anything.

>Should probably rectify that.
Yes, you very much should. Though, I wonder how well it's aged.

Oh, so THIS is what SAN loss feels like.

You know that insufferable faggot who shits up every movie recommendation with "well the book was better so there"

Hello. Read the book, it's mental. I assume a lot of the imagery in the book was too expensive to make into a film.

As for 40k influences i think it has a skyscraper made out of skulls, it's been at least 13 years since i read it.

>I am a Dark Angel, the emperors fury made form!
>Owchies my hand! how can any mortal suffer such an injury!

I liked that german one that's in 100p resolution on youtube.

>Because it's got little elements to it that they like, and it was initially panned as a terrible movie because the first half of the movie (and all the promotional material) signals "this is a sci-fi horror movie, like alien" and the second half of the movie is a full on "amityville horror ...IN SPAAAAACE!!!!" and that confused people.

That reminds me. The typical horror fan is a fucking retarded cocksucker.

I remember a youtube "essay" video on what's wrong with modern horror films, and the guy in the video blamed the audience.

Proof, a review on IMDB in which someone complained about a psychological horror film, because it didn't show "the monster" and "everyone" knows that in every good horror film "they show the monster at the end".

Watched The Woman in Black on magic mushrooms.

The ending felt like God had come down from Heaven to give me the Stone Tablets with the Ten Commandments.

There's also Turkey.

The inconsistencies and lack of detail/explanations/rationale is the essence of 40K's appeal. It lends itself well to a sandbox environment whose fans are encouraged to use their imaginations and come up with their own interpretations. It also inspires endless debates online, which helps keep the franchise at the forefront of it's fans thoughts.

Well I guess it can be a mess but it should be manageable unless you have too much liquid in the filling.